Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

9 minutes ago, Zavala said:

He's been saying the same shit on every CFB show but I'm digging it. "value" pick for Heisman.

25TD / 15TD rush

Tim Tebow

Cam Newton

Jonnie Foosball

Marcus Mariota

Couple of G5 guys have done it, too. Dan Lefevour at Central Michigan (twice) and Jordan Lynch at Northern Illinois. Of course they both got some media run as Heisman Cinderellas during their seasons. Obviously had no chance to actually win it.

And here's the list of players with at least 25 passing TDs, 15 rushing TDs, and 5 or fewer interceptions in a season (since 2000 at least):

Marcus Mariota
Sam Ehlinger

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 2

Ehlinger has more going for him off the field than most of the other Heisman watchfuls - the story, the presence, the look... I think he's got enough hypability that - if he and the team perform as we all expect - he's really got the edge for all but the most egregious Texas-haters. 

EDIT: maybe we don't all expect it, but I'd bet even those who won't say that will at least admit to hoping for it.

5 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

How can you not root for this kid?

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/videos/sam-ehlinger-texas-football-in-my-blood

edit: hiphopopotamus beat me, but I'm leaving the link up anyway because that's my quarterback

I don't think the haters like Mayfield dislike the person Sam is.  Anybody who isn't moved and inspired by Sam on some level is probably a garbage human being.  Mayfield and the rest of the haters, hate Texas.  They hate on Sam because Sam is a large part of why Texas is coming back.  They don't want him to succeed because that means Texas succeeds.  He's the face of the program.  They're gonna have to pound sand this year, because Sam's gonna light it up.  

He's an amazing kid and we're fortunate his Dad and Mom raised him right...as a proud Longhorn.  

• Like 1

I don't think the haters like Mayfield dislike the person Sam is.  Anybody who isn't moved and inspired by Sam on some level is probably a garbage human being.  Mayfield and the rest of the haters, hate Texas.  They hate on Sam because Sam is a large part of why Texas is coming back.  They don't want him to succeed because that means Texas succeeds.  He's the face of the program.  They're gonna have to pound sand this year, because Sam's gonna light it up.  
He's an amazing kid and we're fortunate his Dad and Mom raised him right...as a proud Longhorn.  

Correction: mayfield is a garbage human being. And King Douche.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Zavala said:

He's been saying the same shit on every CFB show but I'm digging it. "value" pick for Heisman.

25TD / 15TD rush

Tim Tebow

Cam Newton

Jonnie Foosball

Marcus Mariota

Lamar Jackson x2

Huckleberry beat me to it.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Mack Brown sock confirmed.

Two things:

1. Fuck Mack Brown.

2. I have ten grandkids. A couple of 'em are older than Sam. I'll call 'em kids if I fucking well want to, and I'll apply that to him or any of his teammates.

Did I mention Fuck. Mack. Brown. ???

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

Two things:

1. Fuck Mack Brown.

2. I have ten grandkids. A couple of 'em are older than Sam. I'll call 'em kids if I fucking well want to, and I'll apply that to him or any of his teammates.

Did I mention Fuck. Mack. Brown. ???

I bet even Mack Brown says "Fuck Mack Brown" from time to time. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jw4381 said:

fify

yeah, but specifically, as someone who studied RTF at Texas, those first 40 seconds are exceptionally well edited. Like the opening shot of Ehlinger slowly looking to the right, which cuts to a home video of Ross Ehlinger where they cut a few frames before he's centered as Ehlinger's mom was panning to give a slight left-to-right motion while framing, so you mentally connect the image of Ehlinger looking into the stands and seeing memories of his father sitting there.

The juxtaposition of shots, like him throwing up the horns at the RRS cutting to him as a kid throwing up the horns, then immediately to him loving his dad again. It tells a powerful story in less than a minute, with no real expositional narration, all through candid videos and a somber soundtrack. It does this in just 6 shots (7 cuts if we count the jump cut for time when Ehlinger is throwing up the horns as a kid), none of which were filmed at the time with any expectations of continuity, and it still works. It's a really good sequence.

Really great stuff.

Edited by BigXII

Sam is going to be a Longhorn legend by the time he leaves here.  He is a fucking stand up kid that represents this University as well as any student on campus.  He's also about as competitive as they come.  Teams with leaders like this play well together and stay focused.  Teams with QBs that are physical tend to take on their personality and Herman fucking loves that.   We're going to fuck some people up this year.... and I have no doubt we're going to show up to the RRR looking for a fight.  

39 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

He isn’t a kid. He is a real man..... even though he’s only halfway to 40.

Yep. There are plenty of 20 year olds out there that are still “kids”, but Sam isn’t one of them. He can wipe his own ass.

Edited by bigcigar

a few things from the first half as thats all i got to watch

- feeling damn lucky Sam didn't have his left leg broken on the play where he scrambled, got hit, ended up with three guys on him and his left leg and upper body going in different directions. not sure how he got out of that but thank goddamn god. he ended up chewing on turf when it was all said and done

- like almost every younger qb he still struggles with touch a bit

- maybe two plays where he just needs to throw the ball. sure someone will give us the gif analysis later this week on the reads he missed there. gotta let her rip and trust the WRs and his initial reads more. when he makes those reads correctly this game is 38-0 at half. 

• Like 2

a few things from the first half as thats all i got to watch

- feeling damn lucky Sam didn't have his left leg broken on the play where he scrambled, got hit, ended up with three guys on him and his left leg and upper body going in different directions. not sure how he got out of that but thank goddamn god. he ended up chewing on turf when it was all said and done

- like almost every younger qb he still struggles with touch a bit

- maybe two plays where he just needs to throw the ball. sure someone will give us the gif analysis later this week on the reads he missed there. gotta let her rip and trust the WRs and his initial reads more. when he makes those reads correctly this game is 38-0 at half. 

I agree with most of this but must ask.. when does Sam no longer fall under younger QB?. Touch should not be a struggle as a Jr in my opinion.

• Like 2

His play was good, as expected. The competitiveness and desire to carry the team he possesses is a double-edged sword. I was hoping to see him hit more receivers in full stride because 50/50 balls to Duvernay and Smith aren’t going to consistently turn out like they did for LJH. Overall, he was accurate and made good decisions with his arm.

Was he, though? Somehow, Sam struggles over the middle of the field with touch.. still.  Hasn’t really improved on leading a receiver down the field with air under the ball. 
I hope it's like last year. He struggled with accuracy on easy screens against Maryland last year. The next week he looked sharp throwing those same passes.
  • Like 1

Was he, though? Somehow, Sam struggles over the middle of the field with touch.. still.  Hasn’t really improved on leading a receiver down the field with air under the ball.  - BigBenBamboozle

True, but I don't think Sam is immune to first game adrenaline fueled errors and the need for tuning adjustments despite his experience.

3 hours ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Was he, though? Somehow, Sam struggles over the middle of the field with touch.. still.  Hasn’t really improved on leading a receiver down the field with air under the ball. 

To me, accuracy is putting the ball where you’re aiming. I think he’s good at that. I believe the problem is him being able to anticipate where the receiver will be. Therefore, he appears inaccurate but may just have trouble visualizing where to put the ball.