Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

Jesus, I thought the juices were flowing in January. I don't remember a game with this much pent up energy since the last time we saw VY.

In the regular season, outside of OU, the last time I remember a game with buildup like this was that night game with top 5 Houston, way back in the dawn of time.

Whatta ya wanna bet Sam goes through pregame with that same "Aw, shucks" stroll he had before the beat-down in New Orleans?

16 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Jesus, I thought the juices were flowing in January. I don't remember a game with this much pent up energy since the last time we saw VY.

In the regular season, outside of OU, the last time I remember a game with buildup like this was that night game with top 5 Houston, way back in the dawn of time.

Whatta ya wanna bet Sam goes through pregame with that same "Aw, shucks" stroll he had before the beat-down in New Orleans?

I have a feeling Texas is going to come out with more fire in its belly than I've ever seen in my lifetime. Ehlinger feeds off of hate, and Tom Herman's teams have a history of getting up for big games. Couple with all the doubt from the national media about this game, the disrespect Texas and Ehlinger specifically have gotten, the "jalen hurts is the best QB" talk all of the sudden, the home crowd for the biggest game since Ohio State in 2006 (which ehlinger himself was at). This is the perfect storm.

I hope even if we win the coin toss we don't defer. Start with Ehlinger coming right out of the gate. Score and get everyone amped out of their mind from the get go. Set the tone early.

Definitely missed some throws, and struggles with feeling the pressure at times. But once again, he didn’t do anything to cost the team the W. Takes care of the ball and can really pull off some outstanding throws. He’s not as good as Burrow but I don’t know that there’s more than 2 or 3 QBs better than Burrow in all of college football.

Struggled a bit in the first half but looked fantastic in the second. He needs to get better at reading defenses mid-play, I can recall at least 4 plays where he had Duvernay wide open in the middle of the field and just simply didn't see him. Overall, Sam is better than Burrow. Tonight, Burrow was lights out and looked better hitting some very impressive throws. Granted, we were leaving some LSU WRs with nothing but green grass around them at times too. 

You people saying Sam may leave next year for the draft this off season are fucking retarded just like I said a few months ago, one skill required by all nfl qb’s  is to throw accurate down field...   one Sam doesn’t have, yalll we’re sucking him off and I was constant in he doesn’t have the passing skill.   To the retards saying he might leave early for the nfl. Yea no he was like 4/20 for passes over ten yards....  Sam is no where close to being better then Burrows, that’s facts.  He’s faster, has a way more accurate arm and faster better decision making.

Edited by Hook1997

There’s no doubt he’s passionate and a gamer. He’s gonna win a lot of games. Better throw to Ingram and it’s a different game. He stills misses some throws. Last night he seemed hesitant to take off when there was what looked like an opportunity.

Overall, he did pretty good last night. That’s probably the best defense he’s faced since he got to Texas.

The disappointing thing about some of his deep throws was the fact that he wasn't even putting the ball in the general vicinity of his big WR's so they could go up and make a play or at the very least get a call. I think there was the potential to get a few more flags called on their DB's if the balls were just thrown better. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

So he should have had 561 yards and 7 TDs? That seems a little unreasonable.

Granted we probably win then.

8 hours ago, hookem48 said:

could have, should have is your word

8 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

But let's not bicker over semantics.

1544900769328.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

There’s no doubt he’s passionate and a gamer. He’s gonna win a lot of games. Better throw to Ingram and it’s a different game. He stills misses some throws. Last night he seemed hesitant to take off when there was what looked like an opportunity.

Overall, he did pretty good last night. That’s probably the best defense he’s faced since he got to Texas.

How much better did you want the pass to Ingram? I get it was not perfect but it was a very easy ball to catch. I'd expect a high school player to catch that ball. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

Ehlinger struggles with the deep ball. Everyone wants to be explosive, but that's just not his game. He's really good with the long, 12+ play drives where the team consistently picks up first downs and marches down field. Herman and Beck need to embrace that. 

Yep. I don't get why we waste so many plays throwing deep when they aren't even close to being complete. It's maddening.

I'd expect your mom to catch that lob pass to Ingram and she would have caught it.

Sam threw into some very tight windows.  What was so annoying was LSU having wide open receivers, then Sam was having to thread needles while riding on a unicycle backwards across a tightrope over a pit of writhing lawyers.

• Like 1

How much better did you want the pass to Ingram? I get it was not perfect but it was a very easy ball to catch. I'd expect a high school player to catch that ball. 

Maybe one where he wasn’t backpeddling and jumping for it. He should have brought it down, but don’t act like it was a simple completion for a RB or a good pass.
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. I don't get why we waste so many plays throwing deep when they aren't even close to being complete. It's maddening.

When you have receivers like Johnson and Eagles, deep shots into 1-on-1 coverage are exactly what you should take. Ehlinger's placement on the jump balls wasn't good at all. At the very least, not as good as Burrow's. Burrow averaged 12.1 YPA last night, Ehlinger averaged just 8.5. That speaks volumes.

Also Ehlinger's a junior now. The "oh he's just not good at deep throws" excuse isn't going to fly. Defenses will cotton on and start denying the shorter throws. Ehlinger has to be able to make plays in all parts of the field.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Maybe one where he wasn’t backpeddling and jumping for it. He should have brought it down, but don’t act like it was a simple completion for a RB or a good pass.

It was a lob pass. He didn't even need to jump for it. Any pass that is about to hit you in the chest or head is a simple completion. Jena Ehlinger could have caught it. Ingram blew it because he thought he was about to get lit up by a defender and panicked.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Like 2

It was a lob pass. He didn't even need to jump for it. Any pass that is about to hit you in the chest or head is a simple completion. Jena Ehlinger could have caught it. Ingram blew it because he thought he was about to get lit up by a defender and panicked.

This.

And yeah, Sam has had better games as far as accuracy goes, but this loss falls on the shoulders of the coaches and defense. You don’t put up those numbers on offense and score that many points and lose a game. Just need two goddamn stops.

13 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Well shit, if Sam would have thrown it to the numbers on his jersey instead of above his head, the chances of catching it could have been higher.

8 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

And yeah, Sam has had better games as far as accuracy goes, but this loss falls on the shoulders of the coaches and defense. You don’t put up those numbers on offense and score that many points and lose a game. Just need two goddamn stops.

We left 10 points minimum off the scoreboard because of bone-headed mistakes -- Ingram's drop and Herman's failure to at least convert 2 trips inside the 5 into a field goal. 

This was a game between two excellent teams, one of which fucked up more than the other.  I'm not gonna criticize Sam for lacking touch on deep balls, he simply doesn't have it and probably never will.  It would be like criticizing me for not being able to run a 4.5 forty.  I'm not gonna criticize Green & Boyce for playing like dipshit young guys, because that's what they are.  But Ingram needs to catch that ball, and Herman needs to take the points in big games like this.  Both are virtually inexcusable.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Well shit, if Sam would have thrown it to the numbers on his jersey instead of above his head, the chances of catching it could have been higher.

If he didn't have a defender bearing down on him from the right side, maybe Sam could have thrown the perfect pass you require for your starting RB to come up with the catch.

59 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

That’s certainly what it looked like.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mason Ramsey said:

Struggled a bit in the first half but looked fantastic in the second. He needs to get better at reading defenses mid-play, I can recall at least 4 plays where he had Duvernay wide open in the middle of the field and just simply didn't see him. Overall, Sam is better than Burrow. Tonight, Burrow was lights out and looked better hitting some very impressive throws. Granted, we were leaving some LSU WRs with nothing but green grass around them at times too. 

Burrow had clean sightlines all  night because of our inability to get pressure in his face, between our stunts leaving no one in the middle and just getting our ass pushed to the ground we made it easy on him. Sam never had that luxury.

Just now, hookem48 said:

Burrow had clean sightlines all  night because of our inability to get pressure in his face, between our stunts leaving no one in the middle and just getting our ass pushed to the ground we made it easy on him. Sam never had that luxury.

I do agree that Burrow had a clean pocket the majority of the game which makes it much easier to do pretty much everything as a quarter back, but I also think our OL had a good game. We allowed pressure at times, but the OL did their job from what I saw. I was at the game though so maybe I missed some things.