Official "Fuck this stupid ass-commercial" thread

Prepuce of Doom

55 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Though I’m not really a fan of even the newest and biggest Walmarts, tge stores themselves are not inherently depressing, 

i used to live across the street from reagan HS. my local walmart was norwood park, just off St.John's and I-35. you could get a staph infection just walking into that place. their typical employee:

4E2E8E95-5415-43C7-A358-BD07ED516281.jpeg.8ae7fe3531ffdcede10f6465f440ccfe.jpeg

their typical clientele:

A6CFC9C1-CDB4-459E-870E-E93479A11C2E.jpeg.e5f1dd3ba90aab36312c97cd848b62e5.jpeg

and typically, they've got one register open, even/especially during peak hours. between the crying babies, the phone that won't stop ringing, and the guy three spots ahead of you loading his crack pipe, it felt like you were in the waiting room of Saul Goodman. i wouldn't be surprised if someone killed themselves in that place 1-2x a week. 

This may be something that is a good idea; it may be a case of "you can't go home again". 

"This Is SportsCenter" ad campaign to be revived

One of advertising’s most prolific campaigns is getting a new jolt of life after going dormant for several years.

ESPN is resuscitating its iconic “This Is SportsCenter” campaign with the help of its new lead creative partner, Richmond, VA.-based Arts & Letters. Wieden+Kennedy produced the bulk of the 400-odd ads that began airing in the mid-1990s, but ESPN brought the campaign in-house in 2017 and discontinued it shortly afterward. The campaign will return soon, likely making a splash during the College Football Playoffs in the beginning of 2023. Arts & Letters, which has worked on campaigns across a number of ESPN’s various verticals since 2019, including its brand platform “There’s No Place Like Sports,” will develop the new iterations of the campaign.

“With this new SportsCenter campaign coming into the fold and being awarded to Arts & Letters, it’s just an opportunity to really solidify the messaging and the relationship,” said Laura Gentile, evp, ESPN marketing and commercial marketing, adding, “It brings back a campaign everybody knows and loves and is core to who we are as an entity.”

Despite the multiyear layoff between spots, the newest editions will “stay as true to the concept as possible,” Gentile told Adweek. “We feel like it’s one of those timeless amazing ideas and it’s our job to uphold the magnificence of the idea and execute it in 2023.”

Previously, “This Is SportsCenter” served as the de facto brand platform for ESPN, Charles Hodges, the founder and ecd of Arts & Letters told Adweek. But with “There’s No Place Like Sports” filling that role now, the SportsCenter campaign can highlight ESPN as the center of the sports universe through levity, said Hodges, who worked on the campaign while working for W+K as a copywriter.

In addition to the “This Is SportsCenter” campaign, the indie agency works on the NFL on ESPN, NBA on ESPN, College Football on ESPN, espnW and the ESPN brand. Some of the agency’s biggest hits for ESPN have come in the form of stunts like the victory goggles for the NBA championship and a “postseasoning” spice for college sports tailgates.

Building brand love

To get TV viewers to consume more of ESPN’s content on linear TV, online or social media, where the network has a robust presence on Snap and TikTok, data shows ESPN must foster more love for the brand itself.

“If you love us, you spend twice the amount of time with us, and so, we’re building that emotional connection,” Gentile said. ESPN’s goal is to always be top of mind for sports fans, making fans think of ESPN when they go to their phone for that latest piece of news, trade rumor or fantasy sports, Gentile told Adweek.

The campaign will attempt to appeal to all segments of sports fans, like helping the 30-something cord-cutter who fondly remembers the campaign reaffirm their relationship with ESPN to making boys and girls already familiar with the campaign become loyal ESPN viewers. Gentile added that ESPN has an advantage that most of its competitors, which include anything from other sports networks to the leagues and teams themselves, don’t.

“ESPN is something you could relate to you … feel like is a sports fan sitting alongside of you cheering,” Gentile said. “[Others] haven’t built that foundation, where they can really be that humane, personable and connected to their constituents and their consumers.”

Inside the writers’ room

With hundreds of iterations of the campaign, “the creative development cycle for this campaign is a living breathing thing,” Hodges said, pointing out that anyone can have a different perspective on what would connect and resonate with fans. That leads to briefs on athletes, anchors or more general culturally relevant ideas.

In the end, it’s often about volume and fine-tuning the best ideas.

“It’s been our approach to really just make a lot of stuff, have a conversation about it, and then start to shape that script packet together,” Hodges said.

And sometimes that volume and collaboration pays off with a viral hit. Hodges said one of the most absurd ideas greenlit during his W+K days became one of the most memorable ads in the campaign—NFL reporter John Clayton’s appearance in an ad that shows off a ponytail and his love for the band Slayer.

Say what you will about ESPN and what it has become, but when this campaign started it was one of the best.  Still think the John Clayton one is one of the best.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ScottS said:

This may be something that is a good idea; it may be a case of "you can't go home again". 

"This Is SportsCenter" ad campaign to be revived

Say what you will about ESPN and what it has become, but when this campaign started it was one of the best.  Still think the John Clayton one is one of the best.

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

There's no way ESPN can come remotely close to those originals.   Every serious sports fan knew who the ESPN crew were.   There aren't any personalities like that therethat I know of.   

My favorites from that era were Clemens at the copy machine and Y2K.  Charlie Steiner with the Apocalypse Now style "Follow me, follow me to freedom" still gets me.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/13/2022 at 6:31 PM, ultimaton said:

those fucking whopper commercials are crimes against humanity and the ad exec that came up with them should be executed

Came to post this. Every single break during live sports on the apps. He’s singing like that on purpose to get it stuck in your head I assume but it makes me hate their guts. I wish I ate at BK so I could stop in protest. I guess it works because I’m not their target audience.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Maybe it's my imagination, but it feels like Zack Braff and Donald Faison have a new ad campaign every year or two. Does Scrubs have any staying power in 2022?

I feel like these ads don’t have a wide audience but also I enjoy scrubs and like these. Their podcast Fake Doctors, Real Friends also is pretty popular I think 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/19/2022 at 9:27 PM, Al Czervik said:

That happens on Spanish television, like all the time.  

Ex is a psycho but she would pull some good pranks on our son. A longass time ago, when we still watched Simpsons reruns, kindergartener junior MaC left the room for some reason and ex hit the SAP button on the remote. He was wondering WTF and she said “Didn’t you hear? The mayor changed Houston’s language to Spanish today. Permanently.”

At first it looked like he was going to cry. And then he raged the fuck out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Does someone need to do a wellness-check for Paul Giamatti?

Playing Scrooge in a Verizon commercial with SNL rejects?

Now, having said that ... Giamatti as a legitimate Ebenezer Scrooge would be a version of "Christmas Carol" I would like to see.

Yeah, you don't see guys like with real talent like that in movies any more, because they don't make real movies any more for real talent to participate in. There are just the sellouts and the no-talents that bank on the stupidass bottom feeding recycled comic book bullshit.

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 4

On 11/21/2022 at 11:55 AM, RamjetFDO said:

Does someone need to do a wellness-check for Paul Giamatti?

Playing Scrooge in a Verizon commercial with SNL rejects?

Now, having said that ... Giamatti as a legitimate Ebenezer Scrooge would be a version of "Christmas Carol" I would like to see.

She was on SNL?

I hate Funderstruck.

Why is she still relevant? Her only claim to fame is Stifler's mom. That was 23 years ago.

She was nominated for an Emmy for White Lotus, Season 1, which included the most hilarious sequence in recent history.

And she’s in like a million movies and tv shows. She’s certainly worthy of headlining an Old Navy ad.