Colonoscopy

Sbbruin

It's been said before, but the worst part of it is the preparation.  You're asleep for the actual procedure.  I had one three years ago so I'm not due for a while.  At least I have a bidet for the next time.  I didn't have one for my first colonoscopy.  It would have been helpful.

• Hook 'Em 1

Having turned 60 recently, I’m due another. I had no real issues with the prep, when it got difficult downing the colon blow I just extended the break in between doses an extra five minutes.  Hopefully Doc won’t leave his watch inside me again. 

I wasn't sure about the necessity of my first one ten years ago, but my brother having to use an ostemy bag due to rectal cancer changed my attitude about my upcoming second colonoscopy.  Not looking forward to it, exactly, but ready to get it done.  I hope that I remember to ask the doc if he found gold or silver afterwards.

47 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I’ve posted this before but don’t care: the new rule of thumb is 45 for your first. I didn’t know that (I’m 50 in June) and just had 12” of my colon removed 8 weeks ago for diverticulitis. Get it done.

This.  My brother mentioned above told his doctor that something was wrong and wanted a colonoscopy, but although he was over 50, his doctor said he wouldn't recommend it yet.  My brother didn't insist, and he should have.  If you are 45 or over, or you feel something isn't right, get it done.  It isn't as bad as it sounds and it could save your life.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/8/2022 at 10:17 PM, Hate said:

It's been said before, but the worst part of it is the preparation.  You're asleep for the actual procedure.  I had one three years ago so I'm not due for a while.  At least I have a bidet for the next time.  I didn't have one for my first colonoscopy.  It would have been helpful.

I had a bidet for the one I did last year.  Didn’t feel like it helped.  Even with cold water.  

On 4/8/2022 at 11:17 PM, Hate said:

Spending the afternoon on the sofa, and toilet after the first Suprep cocktail yea haw !!

Lost my 47 year old sister to colon cancer last June. By the time she had any symptoms (blood in stool/difficulty pooping) she was already at Stage 4 (45 years old).  I wish they'd move the recommended screenings up to 40 years old.  Lives would be saved.

When I had my colonoscopy, the knockout drug was awesome. The best 25 minute nap ever.

GET A COLONOSCOPY AND DON'T IGNORE SYMPTOMS!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

On 7/12/2021 at 3:03 PM, bullzak said:

Did it at 50 and had cancer. Chopped out a foot of my intestines and I was good to go. Had several procedures since then. 

Try to schedule on a Monday during football season so at least you can watch football in basement while you are running back and forth to the can. 

Its not that big a deal really. The procedure itself is a non event. 

Three years ago I had a delayed colonoscopy (11 years).   Whoopsie. Stage III maybe IV colon cancer.   Still figuring it out.  Surgery (1/3 of colon taken out. Scar I say was a ‘knife wound’ around women at the pool/beach) was a breeze.  Chemo less so, but I still worked the entire time.   

I am preventing future liver metastasis using my bourbon and vodka cure to stop liver cell replication. 

None of that shit would have happened if I’d done a butt check sooner.   See a new gp, say you have a family history of colon cancer (Your 15th cousin likely does - so not a lie) and get one every 5 years. 

I do not want you in my fucking cancer  club. We hate to see new members. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

Turning 45 this year and scheduling this as well. Thank you to all who are keeping up the pressure!

See if they will load you up on propofol for the procedure. I had Versed and can't remember anything before I got home after the procedure then ended up puking my guts out. Propofol is supposed to be better.

These should be performed the first time at 40, sooner than that if your family has a history IMO.

My family has a history so I demanded one be performed earlier. 3 polyps the first time, 6 the second time, 7 Tuesday . Now it’s just a waiting game for the biopsy report.

Lost one of my long time friends to it at the age of 35 or so. Not much you can do about it at that age I guess,  He was a big Drinker, ate lots of red meat.

Once you exhibit symptoms it’s already in the later stages I believe. 

Before my first one, I was seeing some blood.  Freaked me the fuck out. Turned out it was a hemorrhoid. Talk about relief.

Let’s try and include pics, boys, so the rookies know exactly what we’re talking about.

/csb Also, at my last colonoscopy, there was some super hot chick working as an assistant in the darkened room where they do the procedure. Will try and get pics next time. Maybe her and a Sharpie and you know what.

I'm over 45, and I can't remember if I've ever had one,  but I have had intestinal issues since my 20's when I got shot in the belly. It used to be that every 4 or 5 years I would get an Ilues and end up in the hospital for a few days while they pumped my stomach and waited for my intestines to start back up. 

Now,  for the past year or so I just get sick every 6 weeks or so. So I'm scheduled for May to get a colonoscopy and an endoscopy... basically they are going to spitroast me for a little while,  see what the fuck is wrong with me. I guess we'll see... 

Will have my 5th colonoscopy this year (58 yoa, first one I was 44).....back then they routinely weren't recommended until you were 50'ish.

My doc started mine earlier, due to my dad's history (colorectal, ignored symptoms, ended up with radiation/surgery/colostomy, survived another 20 years until it caught back up and did him in).

They moved me up to every 3 years once I turned 50.

Everybody, trust me, get this done....don't let it kill you due to ignorance.

Pre-procedures aren't that bad.....and on the bright side, you at least feel like you've lost 10 pounds.   And from what I've been told, if you get the procedures done when you're supposed to, anything they catch can be fixed, before it gets to my dads point.   \,,/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 12:22 AM, 936horn said:

See if they will load you up on propofol for the procedure. I had Versed and can't remember anything before I got home after the procedure then ended up puking my guts out. Propofol is supposed to be better.

Long family history of colon cancer so I have been on the program for 20 years.  Started with Versed and could not do anything after.  Heard I had a double meat/double cheese from Whataburger but don't remember them.

Last several have been Propofol.  No hangover, wake up clear and ready to go.  Still have Whataburger, but relish it.

I did mine about a month ago. Had one polyp but nothing funky in the pathology. They told me to come back in 10 years.

I had been putting mine off first because Covid and then because procrastination. Glad to get it done. I've heard so many horror stories. If you are due, go get the procedure. Drinking that nasty salty sweet gross as drink the night before and in the morning is awful and pissing gatorade out of your ass is fucking terrible, but the peace of mind is worth it.

• 4 weeks later...

Have mine in the morning,  and I'm basically afraid to go to sleep since water keeps pouring out of my ass...

I threw up at least 12 oz of the damn  prep shit...

Whatever.  Spit roasted in the morning

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SKJ said:

Have mine in the morning,  and I'm basically afraid to go to sleep since water keeps pouring out of my ass...

I threw up at least 12 oz of the damn  prep shit...

Whatever.  Spit roasted in the morning

Don’t be a puss. Enjoy your rite of passage into the domain of old men. 

Good luck.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just got home.  Found a couple polyps,  sending it for biopsy. Couple other small problems found in upper and lower tract.

Fucking nurses are all assholes now for some reason,  guess they hate their lives, and that makes it even,  I guess. 

Here's to not having cancer

12 hours ago, Hate said:

Five?? Maybe you just enjoy the procedure? 

Lost my dad and aunt (his sister) to it. Started getting them at 40. They find enough each time to keep me on three years cycles. The procedure is nothing. 

• Like 2

Has anyone done the pre-procedure cleansing?  Done at the Dr. office an hour before?  This was offered by my practitioner.  Come in, warm water enema bag, then over to the exam table.   She said it was very popular with the younger crowd, but not so much in my age demographic.  One of my 60 year old friends just tried it and said it was great, it was the only way he would do it from now on.  

2 hours ago, Gladeite said:

Has anyone done the pre-procedure cleansing?  Done at the Dr. office an hour before?  This was offered by my practitioner.  Come in, warm water enema bag, then over to the exam table.   She said it was very popular with the younger crowd, but not so much in my age demographic.  One of my 60 year old friends just tried it and said it was great, it was the only way he would do it from now on.  

You can get addicted to that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Getting my first next Friday and this thread has helped a lot.  Won't be as bad as I'm thinking.

48 years of age but started having GI issues this February.  Mild to severe diarrhea at first but slowly got better  No other symptoms at all.  Doctor wants to rule out everything else and at my age, it's time to do this.  Doctor thinks it might be Chron's, but who knows?

• Hook 'Em 1

Got my last one in 2019.  Found a small precancerous polyp.  Scheduled me in another 5 years due to size of polyp.  Thankfully, my PCP likes me a bit more than the Gastro does and said 3 year cycle.  I'll be documenting my prep in photos over on shaggysnowcone in a month or so. 

Also, how is something called a "shaggy snowcone" not on urban dictionary?

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 1

I have an endoscopy tomorrow.  I have been have more and more difficulty swallowing food, even when on an empty stomach.  Just sometimes feels like I've got food stuck in my throat.  A little freaked out, but at least the prep for this is much tamer than the other end.

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I have an endoscopy tomorrow.  I have been have more and more difficulty swallowing food, even when on an empty stomach.  Just sometimes feels like I've got food stuck in my throat.  A little freaked out, but at least the prep for this is much tamer than the other end.

Good luck Man. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Colonoscopy this morning.  I had the pills for prep and not the chalky drink that everyone hates.  Much better.

However, I haven’t eaten since oatmeal yesterday. How am I still shitting?  I know, that’s the whole point but I’m shitting water at this point.