do you ever yearn?

Kel Varnsen

7 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I love all the olds at Del Bocatto Vista.  Jack Klompus is the best.  And Marty with those glasses is finominle.

"I'm running the meeting."

The other old man in charge of building A puffs his cigar and says "if you think so" and it slays me every time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, McCroskey said:

"I'm running the meeting."

The other old man in charge of building A puffs his cigar and says "if you think so" and it slays me every time.

Wife and I still use that at least monthly.  
Do NOT go down the rabbit hole of Seinfeld tertiary characters who have died.  It’s a horrible bummer.  But most had great, long runs.  To be on your deathbed surrounded by loved ones, having lived a wonderful life.  And the cherry on top was working a day on Seinfeld.  And your grandson holds your hand and says, “we love you grandpa”. And you get to say, “if you think so…”. And literally die laughing.  We should all be so lucky.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I guess the first time I would have seen her would have been on SNL since my Dad started letting me watch it around '84 or '85.  Didn't realize she was on for three full seasons but I don't remember her in anything.  And then on that show where she's the neighbor to the family running the daycare.  She wore a cheerleader outfit in one episode that still stands out to me.  And then of course, Seinfeld.  She's always been very cute, even sexy.  But the fact that her most attractive years were probably Veep says something about her staying power (and my lack of it when we're having sex---in my mind).  I forget what talk show she was on where she brought a clip of her in the movie "Troll' as her first acting credit.  And how horrible it was and she was.  

But yeah, wife and I were flipping through some 80's marathon over the holidays and stopped on Family Ties.  Reminiscing about when that was a huge show that made Fox a huge star.  But it was that Huck Finn episode and in walks JLD through the front door and we were both flapping our arms and mouths agape like "Whoah!  Whoah!  ELAINE!"  We were all giddy.  Turned out to be one of those serious Family Ties episodes that got lame quickly.  and she wasn't remotely funny in it, but I guess that's how it was written.  

Interesting sidenote---a spinoff of Family Ties was attempted before this episode revolving around Nick (Mallory's dumb boyfriend).  JLD co-stared in it with him.  Also on the show (which was cancelled quickly) was Richard Fancy.  Who would go on to reunite with JLD in several Seinfeld episodes.  You would know him better as Mr. Lippman.  Speaking of bad roles for her, did anybody see "Downhill" a few years ago with her and Will Ferrell.  I thought it was gonna be the funniest thing since 'Old School.'  I think the only time i laughed was when the redhead dude from "Game of Thrones" was lecturing them about safety protocol.  It was fucking awful.  She looked cute in ski bunny gear though.  

Not sure you could get away with these two examples today (I know we say that a lot about Seinfeld), but of all the tertiary characters, these guys don't have the funniest lines or even timing/delivery/chemistry.....but for just pure 'sound of voice' accents...two lines I cry laughing at every time are when vegetable lasagna says in that accent "Please, I do not want to be involved" and when Babu's cousin is offered a snapple...he does this little head tilt like a confused puppy and declines, "No, too fruitty."  

Honorable Mention to Susan Ross' mom at dinner with Costanzas.  She speaks with this aura of old New York money until Frank asks about the Hen, and she shifts back to her southern white-trash accent, "Something's missing alright." 

Aside from the Core Four, whoever did the casting for Seinfeld deserves a lifetime achievement award.  Everybody gets cast on their "look" or "we think you're right for Puddy"...but these people also had just the right tone and accent, or lack thereof.  Just the right body language, always knew when to go big in a scene, or just fade back.  I mean they nailed it 90% of the time.  big named cameos (and seinfeld had plenty), it's another mark of greatness when you pay more attention to the secondaries/tertiaries in a scene than the stars because of all the little nuances and physical quirks.  

and yes, I was up late watching the Sponge episode last night.  Chalk full of examples.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, they would go through intensive periods of pop culture references, and then intentionally avoid them for other long stretches.  

Remember about the time we're in college, Snapple was fucking huge.  Before Arizona Iced Tea, Snapple was all the rage particular on the East Coast.  I wasn't even a fan, but I probably drank a handful per week for a couple years there.  I think they did a good job of never being too "in the now" with trends and brands, hence the timelessness of the comedy about nothing.  They also never got too "New York-ish" with the references but peppered in enough that you if you know the city at all, the things they do and places they go seem like things 30-something weird white people on the West Side would do.  They could have lived in any large city.  If you think about their trips to the suburbs or the country though...there's always a subtle derogatory vibe thrown in.  But they already thought they were better than everybody else in Manhattan, why the fuck would upstate or Long Island be any different?

39 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, they would go through intensive periods of pop culture references, and then intentionally avoid them for other long stretches.  

Remember about the time we're in college, Snapple was fucking huge.  Before Arizona Iced Tea, Snapple was all the rage particular on the East Coast.  I wasn't even a fan, but I probably drank a handful per week for a couple years there.  I think they did a good job of never being too "in the now" with trends and brands, hence the timelessness of the comedy about nothing.  They also never got too "New York-ish" with the references but peppered in enough that you if you know the city at all, the things they do and places they go seem like things 30-something weird white people on the West Side would do.  They could have lived in any large city.  If you think about their trips to the suburbs or the country though...there's always a subtle derogatory vibe thrown in.  But they already thought they were better than everybody else in Manhattan, why the fuck would upstate or Long Island be any different?

Pie country

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Ohhhh, the risotto broad. 

What is this?

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

JERRY: Hey did you hear that George got back with Karen?

ELAINE: Karen?

JERRY: Risotto. (we see a flashback from The Mango where Karen tells George that she feels full after a Risotto, as opposed to when she has sex with him)

ELAINE: Oh! The Risotto broad.

Man, what episode?  Completely blanking on this.

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

The Masseuse

Ha, man, here's some useless trivia on that one.

Notes About Nothing

Elaine suggests that her boyfriend change his name from Joel Rifkin to "O.J." Rifkin (presumably after O.J. Simpson) to avoid being confused with Joel Rifkin, the famous serial killer. Seven months later, O.J. Simpson was accused of murder.

In the beginning of the episode, Jerry claims in a phone conversation with Elaine that he hasn't vomited since June 29, 1980. However, Season Three's “The Dog”, Elaine alludes to having seen Jerry throw up, despite having only known him since 1986. A possible explanation for this seeming inconsistency comes in "The Masseuse" when George alludes to Jerry having thrown up in 1987, with Jerry rebutting that said incident was merely "the dry heaves."

During the scene in which Elaine's boyfriend is summoned over the Giants Stadium intercom to validate Kramer's identity, a passing view of New York Giants linebacker Lawrence Taylor is seen.

• Hook 'Em 1

Little known fact, other name suggestions included Ned Rifkin who still lives here in Austin to this day.  

And crazy to think that when they shot "The Masseuse".........Stifler's Mom was just 31 years old, 32 when the episode debuted.  

And he may be Joel Rifkin to you un-worldly bastards, but he always be French Ambassador, Henri' to me.......

I’m the 90s could you really go to the airport, buy a ticket, board the plane, then get off the plane and get a refund? That seems really bizarre. Absent a medical emergency or call about an emergency (back then it would be a call to the airport and they’d then have to find you) why would there be any reason  to leave a plane once boarded? Also, if it was a points scheme, you generally don’t get points if refunded (I guess you could trick the credit card company if they allowed for cash refund for a credit purchase). That was just a weird plot, seemingly even back then.

Same season, the bereavement fare. The scheme was that George would pretend he’s buying the ticket for Kramer so that Kramer could get frequent flyer miles, but George would use the ticket. Could you really board a plane using someone else’s ticket back then? Seems odd even pre 9-11. The story was also that Kramer was the bereaved but at the end George is trying to get the reimbursement with a picture of himself by the casket. And finally, the ticket was $350 which George and Kramer were each going to pay 1/4. That’s about $87 each. Would the points really be worth more than that amount to Kramer? And wouldn’t points be based off the discounted price not the full price?

The frequent flyer miles story in both plots always confused me.