do you ever yearn?

Kel Varnsen

22 hours ago, McCroskey said:

Bubble boy needed to be punched in the face, too.

Yeah,  he was a bit of a dick but what can he do?  He's trapped inside a literal bubble with Bryan Doyle-Murray.  He had some sass, sure.  But George could be a real jerk (store), too.  Plus, he took a swing at banging Susan so gotta respect his spirit, no?  

because i have to pick up wife's cousin tonight from the airport, we watched the episode where george picks up Jerry "The Airport" last night.  I think it was Biff upthread that mentions how LaGuardia to JFK shouldn't really take that long.   Anyway, it remains as probably the longest standing unknown quote in Seinfeld-lore.  For probably 30 years, I did not understand "But you are Blanch...ya' are in these shackles."  I only got the reference a few years ago.  I think I now get all of them.  But there's probably a couple I don't, just haven't seen the episode in a while.  

What are quotes/references that took you forever and a day to understand?  

47 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

What are quotes/references that took you forever and a day to understand?  

when I was younger (high school) I didn’t understand the Biff references and always just pictured Biff Tannen.  I knew he wasn’t talking about Back to the Future but I also wasn’t familiar with the work of Arthur Miller. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Did you all ever own the DVD collection?  I don't remember if it was a CC option or an audio overlay but I liked the feature that either showed on the subtitles or through Larry David or Jerry explaining certain references and what they meant.

Yeah I have them all.  Haven't watched in years though.

I always thought they missed a really obvious joke in that episode.  Not that they didn't reinvent comedy, but Elaine literally looks at his driver's license earlier in the episode.  He was "caught" in Jerry's apartment as George because, "Save it, we know you're bald"...he could have shown his same license they'd have said "this isn't you"  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I always thought they missed a really obvious joke in that episode.  Not that they didn't reinvent comedy, but Elaine literally looks at his driver's license earlier in the episode.  He was "caught" in Jerry's apartment as George because, "Save it, we know you're bald"...he could have shown his same license they'd have said "this isn't you"  

It always cracked me up that they arrested him for that. ID be damned. Though I guess he actually got charged with assaulting an officer. 

This effort is for Biff, futureman, and all you goofy bastards.  I've enjoyed seeing Jerry's standup over the years but if I'm honest...while it's still hilarious...it's 80% the same show to show and we've seen him a half dozen times over 15 years.  We didn't even entertain the idea of going tomorrow night between cost and babysitters, etc.  But I had a meeting today at Butler School of Music and thought, "Meh, fuck it...let's walk over and see if there's any pre-Jerry activity behind the Bass stage."  I run into somebody from Jerry's advance team.  Nice gal.  I didn't realize, even by cold-war theater standards...how awful it is below/back stage at Bass.  She of course tells me "Mr. Seinfeld loves playing Austin and thinks this is a wonderful theater."  She's full of shit.  But here's the best part.  Obviously stage photo, and then a photo of the little tiny room that any one-person show comes up off of (obviously larger groups go curtains up from center stage).  But here's what you fuckers will appreciate.  There's 4 "private" dressing rooms downstairs.  Some of which are closer and nicer.  But Jerry apparently picks this smaller, farther, mustier one in honor of the Maestro, Bob Cobb.  Because yeah, he has a job with the Policeman's Benevolent Association orchestra. image.thumb.jpeg.b2e3fe21a1b216ad1751590033520a20.jpeg Can't put my finger on it, but I think it starts with a "C"          This just happened and I can't stop laughinimage.thumb.jpeg.a14f413cadb037ef7029062b18dff4bb.jpeg

52F8F8A1-29F9-4ADB-A287-35DF7AFF183D.heic

Edited by YGIFS
  • Like 1

Thought you'd appreciate it.  I wish I had a semi-broken chopstick in my briefcase to leave as homage.  But alas.  

Yeah, even 4 times or 44 times.  It's always a wonderful time.  We just didn't have the schedule or wallet for it this time.  Here's what I'm stewing on right now.  I'm trying to figure out how she knew that I'd appreciate that Jerry picked "The Conductor" as his preferred dressing room.  Even if that's the one he always uses in Austin, she's too young to remember that episode or care if I knew one way or the other about other dressing rooms.  And Jerry certainly doesn't direct his advance people or even local staff to bring up weird shit like that to random assholes wandering around backstage.  It's like world were colliding fellas...and as Jerry would say:

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/94fade90-bfa4-45ae-a6fc-7ea90cfd4560

• Like 1

But I have hand! 

She asked me if I was coming to one of the shows...and I was honestly, as a grown adult man of some honor, very tempted when I walked out to stand at the ticket desk and shout, "Cartwright, FOUR!" But I knew not only would his assistant not get it, but I that I would be promptly arrested and lose my parking privileges.  

Edited by YGIFS

On 3/13/2023 at 2:53 PM, 4th&Five said:

You're not artistic and you have no integrity!

So recently I've gone down a rabbit hole of old Jerry and Larry interviews on YouTube.

One of the more interesting nuggets was that George's "This is the show and we AREN'T changing it" is literally something that Larry David said in their initial meetings with NBC.

However, it wasn't arguing that the show should be about "nothing", it was their original concept of the show was that it would be a single camera show with no studio audience/laugh track... almost a faux documentary style where it would be following Jerry around during the day showing how he got his ideas for his stand-up.

Obviously they gave in on that point, but I thought it was pretty interesting that they wanted to do that, given that about ~10 years later that became the de facto format for sitcoms with The Office (BBC and NBC), Arrested Development, Parks & Rec, Always Sunny, etc., etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

^

To that point, it really was the pilot episode of "Curb" that really delivers on that vision Larry had.  From there, so many of the sitcoms you mentioned and many more used that model instead of the Seinfeld model (a bit of standup at start and finish to frame the episode, which as we know was done away with entirely halfway through the series as people craved more of the four of 'em up to shit instead of just Jerry asking 'What's the deal with Peanuts'---which we know he never said).  But it was Larry's original, shitcanned vision, plus his industry gravitas a decade later with the Curb pilot that really cements the format.  And then, typical Larry, he completely abandons that model to basically an improv troupe on tape with the idea of "Instead of where does a comedian get their material...where does Larry get off being such an asshole in polite society."  The whole thing we're talking about is 35 years of just absolute genius layers.  We'll be unpacking this for a century.  

• Hook 'Em 1