Houston Drivers

Errestaurants

Noticed lately that people are just running red lights if traffic isn’t coming the other way. An example was tonight.  Sitting at a stop light on Louisiana and there’s no traffic coming the other way.  Car in front of me just goes.  The light turned green probably 10 seconds later.  

10 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

Noticed lately that people are just running red lights if traffic isn’t coming the other way. An example was tonight.  Sitting at a stop light on Louisiana and there’s no traffic coming the other way.  Car in front of me just goes.  The light turned green probably 10 seconds later.  

Was that wrong?   Should I not have done that?

11 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

I do this only when I am out on 242 and stopped at a light to turn left.  It scares the fuck out of me sitting in that lane with all of the 18 wheelers rolling by out there.  If there is nobody else around, I go ahead and get the fuck out of the way.  

11 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

What?  I stopped.

Was on Katy Freeway westbound yesterday.  The TX state troopers were patrolling and pulling over drivers  between 610 and BW8.  I saw 3 stops on the shoulder.   I was behind a 4th active stop in the main lanes. 

The trooper was about a car length and a half behind his quarry with the rolllers rolling.   The duo was making its way across lanes to the right shoulder and maintaining the 1.5 carlength spacing. 

As they got to the far right lane before the shoulder a 3rd car driven by a woman joined the dance and merged between the trooper and offender as she seemed to be suddenly concerned about missing her exit. 

The trooper was nonplussed with her act and she soon became the focus of his ire.  

Just when I thought I’d seen it all. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
His words:
 I was in the middle of where the bus was and I was in the right lane.  He switched into my lane forcing me off the road.   The 18wheeler incident happened on the overpass from i10 West to 610North where there are only 2 lanes and railing.  I was again around the middle when he cut over, I sped up to try to avoid the collision and couldn't.  Slowing down would have caused him to crunch me with his trailer.  He hit me with the cab on my driver's side.    We slowed down, I stopped and then he ran into me again.
Blindspot diagram:
Blindspots1.jpg

Interesting you wanted to double down on this. I did not write up an exact scenario due to this being a message board. But in one case I avoided a collision by utilizing the emergency lane. In the other I was hit 2x by the same 18 wheeler and yet in your own graphic which shows the 18 wheeler could see me, and I suppose he had a blind spot in front of his vehicle too when he rear ended me as well. I guess the onus is on the other drivers because 18 wheelers cannot see in front of them or around them, yet it must be my fault cause the fucker hit me. Strange how the cop and his company didn’t see it your way.

The picture don't lie.  i went by what you said in your post.

If it's different than that, then learn how to communicate better.

Cops are wrong all the time.  just ask Surly.

You've had two wrecks with large vehicles.  i have had zero.  There is virtually no fucking way you drive more miles than I do in the same environment, but what the fuck do I know?

I nailed it on the first response and stand by it.

Edited by slorch

28 minutes ago, elfenix said:

544.007(i) motherfuckers.

For those of us who aren't ambulance chasers:

(i)  An operator of a vehicle facing a traffic-control signal, 
other than a freeway entrance ramp control signal or a pedestrian 
hybrid beacon, that does not display an indication in any of the 
signal heads shall stop as provided by Section 544.010 as if the 
intersection had a stop sign.

On 10/31/2018 at 4:31 PM, RPM said:

They don't restrain their shitty driving to Houston.

Fatality-Accident.jpg

A Houston woman was killed when her Chevrolet Spark car struck the back of a tractor trailer Sunday afternoon on U.S. 81/287 south of Alvord, according to Department of Public Safety spokesman Ricky Hunter.

Hunter said preliminary investigation indicates the driver of the Chevy, identified as 36-year-old Tiffany Ann Rosario, was traveling south on U.S. 81/287 and attempted to pass another vehicle on the shoulder of the roadway when she collided with the tractor trailer. The impact wedged Rosario’s car underneath the tractor trailer, collapsing a majority of the vehicle.

She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Darwin award.

• 1 month later...

brazos is a one-way

the far left lane on brazos is left turn only

the street in front of you is st. joseph's that turns into the on ramp to 45.  it is also a one-way. 

it is legal to turn left on a red light from one one-way to another when no cars are coming. 

PLEASE.  TURN LEFT. 

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

I really hate driving in this fucking city. I commute twice a week from NW Houston to the Woodlands. At that time in the morning there are so many landscape service trucks and trailers on the beltway and also I-45. At a toll plaza watched two cars come extremely close to being sideswiped by trailers. Both cars had to swerve into the next lane to avoid being hit. Yesterday I saw one trailer throwing chunks of tire and sparks all over the cars behind it on 45 from a blow out. Motherfucker wasn’t pulling over. Just kept driving 70mph.

I’m not particularly interested in dying to commute to my job.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, texasdago said:

After moving from Houston to Austin... every time I come back I'm overwhelmed by the scale and madness of Houston's freeways.  Not to mention Houston excels at red light running and blocking someone from merging into a lane even with a blinker on.  

happy birthday GIF

The problem is using your blinker.  In the 18 months I lived in Houston, I realized if you want to change lanes without someone speeding up to cut you off, it’s essential to not use your blinker.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, texasdago said:

After moving from Houston to Austin... every time I come back I'm overwhelmed by the scale and madness of Houston's freeways.  Not to mention Houston excels at red light running and blocking someone from merging into a lane even with a blinker on.  

happy birthday GIF

I still think Houston's drivers are, on average, in a whole 'nother league of driving skill than Austin.  If there's anything other than clear skies here it's absolute chaos and the only thing that keeps our fatalities statistics out of the headlines is the congestion. 

• Like 2

100% agree with these two posts

Austin drivers drive with no sense of purpose. Always in the wrong lane until the last minute etc.

And red light running has picked up a ton in Austin I’ve noticed. Especially at those new diamond intersections or whatever they are called

23 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I think Austin drivers are awful. Houston drivers are more aggressive. I prefer assertive drivers. Timid drivers are annoying and dangerous too.

Yep. You better be on top of your game in Houston during the week. Double the speed limit isn't uncommon on any street wider than 2 lanes. 

The weekends are different. People drive like they have their grandma in the car with a crock pot full of soup in the back seat. 

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yep. You better be on top of your game in Houston during the week. Double the speed limit isn't uncommon on any street wider than 2 lanes. 

The weekends are different. People drive like they have their grandma in the car with a crock pot full of soup in the back seat. 

That’s not skill though.  Reckless disregard for other peoples health 

But it’s predictable. In Houston, everyone is a psychopath trying to kill me. I know what that looks like, and can predict it.
In Austin, everyone has their head up their ass, and will realize at the last second that they need to go left…so they turn from the right lane across three lanes with no warning. Every driver in Austin is a “crazy Ivan” waiting to happen.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 3/23/2023 at 7:14 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

I really hate driving in this fucking city. I commute twice a week from NW Houston to the Woodlands. At that time in the morning there are so many landscape service trucks and trailers on the beltway and also I-45. At a toll plaza watched two cars come extremely close to being sideswiped by trailers. Both cars had to swerve into the next lane to avoid being hit. Yesterday I saw one trailer throwing chunks of tire and sparks all over the cars behind it on 45 from a blow out. Motherfucker wasn’t pulling over. Just kept driving 70mph.

I’m not particularly interested in dying to commute to my job.

The landscape trailers have been the worst development in the city, from a traffic perspective.  Companies like Trailer, Wheel and Frame have exploded the practice of too many service companies in hauling around their entire shop/business. I find the drivers of the trailers drive can simultaneously drive too aggressive and timid.  And they block residential streets, with lead to bottlenecks on semi-busy streets.

not too mention that some of these trailers have zero business on the road.

as far as people running red lights, you’re a fool if you don’t pause and look before going on green. But bitching about it is like complaining about rain. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I didn’t mean it as a skill thing. Just a keep your head on swivel thing. 

Houston is just insanely aggressive. I’ve had HISD buses cut me off at 630 in the morning. 

Please God, don’t flick off or follow bad drivers. Just too many close calls for comfort. I’m out of that business. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I didn’t mean it as a skill thing. Just a keep your head on swivel thing. 

Houston is just insanely aggressive. I’ve had HISD buses cut me off at 630 in the morning. 

Please God, don’t flick off or follow bad drivers. Just too many close calls for comfort. I’m out of that business. 

There’s a good chance the driver in Texas could be carrying

drivers in northeast are aggressive as well

Edited by closetohumping