Hey Oil Barons.......

936horn

36 minutes ago, Dertyberd said:

Agreed.  I tried for six months to get in the oil business by calling and sending resumes to people I've known my whole life.  All I heard was "we'll let you know when things pick up", and "are you sure you want to do this, it might be boring for you."?  Who gives a shit if its boring, there's a lot of money being made.  Sure there is uncertainty, but there's also a shitload of money being made by guys in land/title work I know that barely graduated HS. It's not rocket science, but getting in feels harder than NASA.   

For both you and @Nivek - 

Depending on what you want to do (this holds especially true for field work) a face to face meeting will trump any sort of electronic or phone contact you can make. I know guys who will put on their nice jeans and boots (dress for your audience here - if you're in midland put the boots on, if you're at corporate in Houston then put on a suit) and beat down people's doors resume in hand until they got a job. The adage of "it's not what you know, but who you know" is relevant in the oil field probably more so than anywhere else I have ever seen.

Every guy you know that's a dumbass making good cash had a connection. Every single one. If you don't have one, then get to steppin' until you get in front of someone who can help you.

Additionally, the pay for the guys in the field is high because of 1. the risks involved with many of the jobs, 2. the hours and work schedules involved and 3. those guys are the first ones gone during down turns. If you're near a major city like Houston, an office job will be less hours, probably slightly less pay, but you'll be making more money (especially in a commercial function if you can get it) than others you know at your age/work the same hours as you.

If you have an opportunity to "do something boring" it might be a good way to get your foot in the door as you seem to realize. But like I said, meeting with someone face to face will go a long, long way in my experience

Edited by 936horn
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Dertyberd said:

Agreed.  I tried for six months to get in the oil business by calling and sending resumes to people I've known my whole life.  All I heard was "we'll let you know when things pick up", and "are you sure you want to do this, it might be boring for you."?  Who gives a shit if its boring, there's a lot of money being made.  Sure there is uncertainty, but there's also a shitload of money being made by guys in land/title work I know that barely graduated HS. It's not rocket science, but getting in feels harder than NASA.   

Hang out at the titters in close vicinity to the NAPE venue.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Getting liver and mind right for NAPE. Every year this gets to be a bigger beating. 

My firm is hosting a happy hour this evening and then I've got another one tomorrow night that typically ends up being a long ass night. Will be starting the weekend coasting on fumes. 

Back in my 20's, I used to love NAPE week. "You mean I get to go drink top shelf booze for free, and the bosses won't care if I come in late tomorrow b/c they probably won't even show up?"

Now, I just kinda look forward to it being over.

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

My firm is hosting a happy hour this evening and then I've got another one tomorrow night that typically ends up being a long ass night. Will be starting the weekend coasting on fumes. 

Back in my 20's, I used to love NAPE week. "You mean I get to go drink top shelf booze for free, and the bosses won't care if I come in late tomorrow b/c they probably won't even show up?"

Now, I just kinda look forward to it being over.

Same. I remember my late 20's, me and the same group of degenerates would walk the floor, hit 5 parties, eat our weight at Pappa Bros and then grab a couch upstairs at Treasures until they the janitor turned the lights on and started vacuuming. 

Now, I am generally excited to go home after dinner and really don't enjoy walking the floor. Times have changed. 

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:10 AM, 936horn said:

For both you and @Nivek - 

Depending on what you want to do (this holds especially true for field work) a face to face meeting will trump any sort of electronic or phone contact you can make. I know guys who will put on their nice jeans and boots (dress for your audience here - if you're in midland put the boots on, if you're at corporate in Houston then put on a suit) and beat down people's doors resume in hand until they got a job. The adage of "it's not what you know, but who you know" is relevant in the oil field probably more so than anywhere else I have ever seen.

Every guy you know that's a dumbass making good cash had a connection. Every single one. If you don't have one, then get to steppin' until you get in front of someone who can help you.

Additionally, the pay for the guys in the field is high because of 1. the risks involved with many of the jobs, 2. the hours and work schedules involved and 3. those guys are the first ones gone during down turns. If you're near a major city like Houston, an office job will be less hours, probably slightly less pay, but you'll be making more money (especially in a commercial function if you can get it) than others you know at your age/work the same hours as you.

If you have an opportunity to "do something boring" it might be a good way to get your foot in the door as you seem to realize. But like I said, meeting with someone face to face will go a long, long way in my experience 

I am a geophysicist with the wrong kind of experience.   Getting in or out of the industry is the same to me at this point.  

• Like 1

Sheffield is back and Dove is out. Sheffield is Parsley’s son, as most people know, and was the longtime Chief at Pioneer and moved into the Chairman role in 2016 when Dove assumed CEO role. Dove was long associated with Pioneer. 
The move and Sheffield’s commentary strike me as odd. Dove was old, but not terribly so for a CEO, and Sheffield’s comments make it clear Dove was forced out. The move is odd given a) Dove was a longtime employee and clear #2 behind Sheffield for years; b) Sheffield as Chair was fine with that in 2016; and c) this market sucks and I doubt anything Dove - a Sheffield disciple - did was adverse to Pioneer. 
This move strikes me as sizzle to inject a jolt to Pioneer’s stock price. I hate it when such “moves” result in harm to longtime loyalists who ostensibly weren’t the cause of a downtick in price. 

I’ve heard health concerns for Dove.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I’m not in the oil business.  But seems like $70 or so a barrel would be nice.  High Enough to make good money.  Low enough where the average American can still feel up the tank.  

Oil could rise to $200/bbl and Vic Mackey would still have no problem feeling up the tank(s).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Seems to me low 60’s to 70’s is the sweet spot. Gas isn’t too high to allow soccer moms to cause FB outrage and most operators and service companies can still maintain good margins.

It isn’t F250’s and Nautiques for the admins but probably a bonus at the Christmas party.

F250's are for UT recruits only, nowadays. Agroid out front should have told you.

I'll take 10 years of consistent meals over the feast or famine days of yore.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Let's get this thread going again.  

Private DoublePoint Energy, backed by Apollo, GSO, Magnetar, and Quantum is reportedly on the market.  Rumored asking price is $5.0bn.  DoublePoint would join EnCap backed Felix Energy II and family owned Endeavor Energy Resources as the most substantial private Permian players up for sale.

CNX, XEC, and CDEV each raised $500mm through debt offerings.

It will be interesting to see what happens with QEP.  They have a $8.75 per share (~16% premium to current trading price) offer on the table from Elliott Management, but it looks like management would rather sell off their Bakken and Permian assets separately to  different strategics.  The termination of the NGP backed SPAC, Vantage Energy's acquisition of QEP's Bakken assets for $1.65bn probably throws a wrench into that.

9 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

It's $1.38... why on earth would anyone pay $5?

Big oil is getting even bigger in shale, and that will speed up a shakeout among independents and force more mergers and joint ventures. Halcon is in good acreage in the Delaware. Their numbers should get better going forward as their own sour gas processing facility is supposed to go online later this month.  I think Halcon gets sold at a premium.  Of course, that's just my opinion.

Any guesses what's going on with Legacy Reserves?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/legacy-reserves-inc-announces-review-204500240.html

Stock went from $1.40 to $.60 yesterday. Baines Creek has been buying up through Tuesday, based on their filing yesterday. I can't imagine they'd be doing that if bankruptcy was the likely option, but their credit facility matures April 1.

Also, that SWN logo has always been ridiculously stupid.

Edited by Cleo McDowell

Seems like two companies who have had their names tossed around before. Maybe that was just downturn chatter. 

Funny how there’s always random speculation chatter, and it’s completely different depending on whose office you’re in.

Gulf of Mexico - 5 years ago some BP guys I trust were certain Shell was going to make a play for their deepwater assets. Then it was Chevron wants out of the Gulf entirely just finding the buyer(s).

Now, it’s Hess or ENI %s a “landsman” was “sure” were being purchased by a major. Or Fieldwood (Noble) assets are going to be split into sellable packages. So and so has strained relations with Williams or Enbridge, I wouldn’t be surprised if they make a move on export pipelines.