Hey Oil Barons.......

936horn

14 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

How long till a war starts in order to destabilize the Middle East?

The US / Saudis / Russians will sink an oil tanker in the Persian gulf sooner or later, then blame Iran and declare a war.

someone needs to deal some better weapons to Yemen. ASAP #lordofwar 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I don’t see how it doesn’t happen again and again over ‘20, albeit at an increasingly less frenetic pace. 

Yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised to go negative again on the June contract, though not at the same pace.   But, the remainder of the year is going to have some seriously wild swings   It’s a market I’ll pay attention to, but I won’t be trading WTI.   

17 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

If buildings are closed down, then homes’ electric bills will be up. I bet both are used significantly as economy opens back up. Also, a fuckload more associated gas will be off production than I thought just 2 weeks ago. The events of crude through Q2 will ensure gas production plummets. I’m fairly bullish on gas. 

Yep. And a lot of mixed office space is still having to keep climate control steady, as some businesses are still in the office all day everyday.   Commercial demand is down, for sure, but residential demand has kept it to where total demand is barely down about 2%.   And with gas being this cheap, it’ll remain that way.  

with associated gas about to be take. Out of the market, we could literally go from being oversupplied to very undersupplied in  less than a year.  

9 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m just trying to determine how to buy oil properties around 7/1, and ensure I don’t get totally fucked on price. Swapping 2H’20 now and buying cheap calls on top is my favored trade. But I fear for the bulk of that duration, my income will largely be limited to hedge settlements. 

I wish I were smart enough to retort on the land side of the business, but lo, I am not.  

2 hours ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

Is the (-) sign not showing up?

that's what I get from trying to post from my phone while trying to run a couple of errands for my son. I should never commit to being away from my 'puter on expiration eve.

and here is my next question - if that happened on the eve of the May contract expiring, what happens tomorrow when the actually expire? Does the surly collective think that most people closed out their position today, or is there an even bigger fireworks show tomorrow?

I guess this is another website I'll have to follow
https://oilprice.com/oil-price-charts

Closing-oil-prices-4-20-2020

Edited by Wally Fairway
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I bet you could score a Lafayette 10 for a mani/pedi gift card and a pound of boudin right now. 

I was sitting in a Starbucks by the med center in Laffy once, and a brand new white Escalade, lifted, black rims and big tires pulls in. Big pink sticker on the back window "Spoiled Oilfield Wife". The chick that got out of it was wearing "Pink" sweatpants, Uggs, wife beater and no bra hugging her brand new tits, one arm sleeved out with trashy ink, Channel sunglasses and a tacky manicure. I imaging that gal will be back sucking dicks in the parking lot of the strip club she started out in pretty soon.. 

One can only hope.   Don't remember anything that nice at Michaels...ever.

2 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

that's what I get from trying to post from my phone while trying to run a couple of errands for my son. I should never commit to being away from my 'puter on expiration eve.

and here is my next question - if that happened on the eve of the May contract expiring, what happens tomorrow when the actually expire? Does the surly collective think that most people closed out their position today, or is there an even bigger fireworks show tomorrow?

I wasn't trying to bust your balls, but damn are you really gonna call on the surly collective?

I too am curious what the open interest is now.  OI at close Friday was 108,593

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

I wasn't trying to bust your balls, but damn are you really gonna call on the surly collective?

I too am curious what the open interest is now.  OI at close Friday was 108,593

nah - I'm just curious, too many people smarter than me and that have experience in the industry keeps me away from playing in the commodities market.  

But I did make a decent amount of money (for back in the day) in 1987 and 1988, when the petrochemical company I worked for bought futures contracts for oil, which was a feedstock for our plants and through other market forces the prices on our products when up considerably. For at least 7 quarters we were making bonuses that were anywhere from 35% to more than 100% of our salary - and I was young and stupid and did buy a new car with my last bonus check.

38 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

bottom line is there are no drilling obligations (funny to even type that out), it’s a strictly small, heavily discounted (I guess?) PDP buy, and there is ample storage with the operator, a friend. 

There's a lot of East Texas and South Texas land about to be unleased. A lot of the leasing in that area occurred between 2015 and 2017. The 2015 leases will be out of their option period and the 2017 leases will either allowed to be expired or companies will have to eat the option bonus when cash is tight.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

There's a lot of East Texas and South Texas land about to be unleased. A lot of the leasing in that area occurred between 2015 and 2017. The 2015 leases will be out of their option period and the 2017 leases will either allowed to be expired or companies will have to eat the option bonus when cash is tight.

tell me more 

57 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

The days of land brokers running giant leasing crews will be back again!  Everyone pour your money into motels in Marshall, Carthage, Karnes City,  George West....etc.

I’m kind of dumbfounded by all of this, never believed we would see it happen to this extent. I haven’t even really looked at volume today, but I know it had to be horrifically low to see the price action we saw.   Not a soul buying.  

the only reason I could see it repeat this next month, obviously not to this extent?, is we literally have nowhere to put the shit after a while.  

But the thing is, I always think about how the guys that write algos are thinking (the mathematicians), then I think about how the traders are thinking, then I think about the economists (my ilk) are thinking, and place an opinion on those factors.  Obviously, IMO, the economists won this round.  Zero demand, actually worse than zero demand, equals price destruction.   

Price destruction should still happen this month.  Demand is just not there.   We’ll see who on Wall St wants to let price discovery happen again.  

41 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Some groups made some huge mistakes today, or really over the course of April. WTI already back to +$2.20. Best I can tell these groups entered into May futures contracts with no way of physically delivering oil and were forced to sell at significant losses - because they didn’t sell earlier in April. I don’t think the volume was great, either, on the way to the earlier settlement of -$37.63. Wow. Maybe Trey can explain more but that’s my understanding of this. 

I would not expect this to recur next month toward the end of the June contract. Rather, I would expect selling to occur throughout the month, and it started today for June, and WTI is to gradually go down from the current June price of $21.37.

I just cannot fathom the kinds of mistakes that were made to drop the price to fucking negative $40. 

That is my thought as well about the selling will start immediately and will continue.  People will think no way I’m holding this so better get out first chance I can.  That leads to some other jackass thinking, I better get out before that guy and so on and so on.

52 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Some groups made some huge mistakes today, or really over the course of April. WTI already back to +$2.20. Best I can tell these groups entered into May futures contracts with no way of physically delivering oil and were forced to sell at significant losses - because they didn’t sell earlier in April. I don’t think the volume was great, either, on the way to the earlier settlement of -$37.63. Wow. Maybe Trey can explain more but that’s my understanding of this. 

I would not expect this to recur next month toward the end of the June contract. Rather, I would expect selling to occur throughout the month, and it started today for June, and WTI is to gradually go down from the current June price of $21.37.

I just cannot fathom the kinds of mistakes that were made to drop the price to fucking negative $40. 

Couple things happened today - 

1. As of last week, the etf USO held approx 25% of May contracts. An ETF can't take delivery of oil, obviously. Someone somewhere lost their job over this, probably multiple people. Since expiry is tomorrow USO was unwinding into a long squeeze and just getting donkey dicked. This move was not organic and suddenly every trader in the world woke up today and finally realized there is no demand and no storage.

2. Concurrently, both our brokers, CME and Barclays were unable to execute buy orders at negative values. The software was not programmed on EITHER EXCHANGE to allow purchases for negative values. So in the span of 15 minutes or so I watched the price freefall once it broke zero down to -$35. I have to imagine that problem was not limited to our brokers. There will be massive lawsuits after this.

Just for funzies i have a picture of my screen when the spreads were >$60 and flat price was -$35. Maybe I'll get it framed once this shit is over.

GgsNont.jpg

Edited by 936horn
  • Like 6

1. As of last week, the etf USO held approx 25% of May contracts. An ETF can't take delivery of oil, obviously. Someone somewhere lost their job over this, probably multiple people. Since expiry is tomorrow USO was unwinding into a long squeeze and just getting donkey dicked. This move was not organic and suddenly every trader in the world woke up today and finally realized there is no demand and no storage.
2. Concurrently, both our brokers, CME and Barclays were unable to execute buy orders at negative values. The software was not programmed on EITHER EXCHANGE to allow purchases for negative values. So in the span of 15 minutes or so I watched the price freefall once it broke zero down to -$35. I have to imagine that problem was not limited to our brokers. There will be massive lawsuits after this.
Just for funzies i have a picture of my screen when the spreads were >$60 and flat price was -$35. Maybe I'll get it framed once this shit is over.
GgsNont.jpg
I'm on the equity side so correct me if I'm wrong but usually USO unwinds to next month starting a couple weeks out. I'd be surprised if they weren't all completely out already by this past Friday's close.

It was crazy watching CL go negative. Our software couldn't even quote the price correctly below 0 so we had to rely on charts.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, 936horn said:

As I understand it, USO rolls out of the front month futures contracts that they hold over 4 days according to a schedule they publish: 

image.png.afc0722d17bf47978ee2b39bf0f186b2.png 

So while I'm sure there were people holding these contracts late in the game, it wasn't USO. And the fact that it only fell 11% today would be evidence that they werent caught with the May contracts.  Also due to the huge inflow of money into the ETF, they just changed their structure to hold 80% of the front month contract and 20% of the next. That shift announced a couple of weeks ago, is what enabled them to get under the 20%. I would assume that USO started the day with 80% in June contracts and 20% in July.

I'm just getting started digging into this, as I expect there have to  be some profitable,  albeit counter-intuitive angles here. One strange thing I noticed after the close today is that OTM calls on USO actually closed up decently once you go out a few weeks. I realize USO is not your typical stock, or even ETF, but I'm not sure I can recall something like this: 

image.png.fa969773f83acff3cd71f7ccf5fbf830.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 936horn said:

EWFY9aVUYAIXpG2?format=jpg&name=large

40 minutes ago, Blotto said:

As I understand it, USO rolls out of the front month futures contracts that they hold over 4 days according to a schedule they publish: 

image.png.afc0722d17bf47978ee2b39bf0f186b2.png 

So while I'm sure there were people holding these contracts late in the game, it wasn't USO. And the fact that it only fell 11% today would be evidence that they werent caught with the May contracts.  Also due to the huge inflow of money into the ETF, they just changed their structure to hold 80% of the front month contract and 20% of the next. That shift announced a couple of weeks ago, is what enabled them to get under the 20%. I would assume that USO started the day with 80% in June contracts and 20% in July.

I'm just getting started digging into this, as I expect there have to  be some profitable,  albeit counter-intuitive angles here. One strange thing I noticed after the close today is that OTM calls on USO actually closed up decently once you go out a few weeks. I realize USO is not your typical stock, or even ETF, but I'm not sure I can recall something like this: 

image.png.fa969773f83acff3cd71f7ccf5fbf830.png

I stand corrected - rep to you and gsoda. I am digging in further as well, as even with the profound demand destruction I just cannot accept that every trader woke up today and finally realized "well, nobody is gonna buy this shit so I better dump two days before expiry." This has been in front of every trader's face for a month now. The exchange glitches definitely contributed. This will be a hell of a case study one day.

Edited by 936horn

This has been in front of every trader's face for a month now. The exchange glitches definitely contributed. This will be a hell of a case study one day.

It was definitely uncharted waters. Our futures guys were trying to buy but couldn't get orders out. We were yelling at them to buy as much as they could. The strangest part was the volume. Usually you'd find a price disruption like this to be accompanied by massive volume. This had none. Literally no bids. Never seen it before.

What if this had happened tomorrow?  How would the exchanges have settled?  It’s my understanding if you enter into a futures contract - let’s say $30 for May ‘20 - it’s directly with the exchange and it is measured against the settlement price of the last day of the contract. Is that right?
Versus a swap with JPM or BP or GS that is typically an average of settlement prices for that month. 

Yes it would be the closing price on the last day.

10 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

If I'm Trump right now, I'm beating the congressional doors down to completely fill it up right now.  

If you're Trump right now, you're watching Fox News, eating a cheeseburger, and getting mad about the lyin' media and preparing your next tweet about how some lupus treatment should be given to your supporters instead of people suffering from lupus.

• Like 6
  • Fuck You 9

10 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

If you're Trump right now, you're watching Fox News, eating a cheeseburger, and getting mad about the lyin' media and preparing your next tweet about how some lupus treatment should be given to your supporters instead of people suffering from lupus.

Kthx 

11 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Perhaps jerking off about the magnificence  of Luke Cuckwalker whining and ranting while drinking blue alien titty milk. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Cmon man take that shit to CR

• Like 4