Final Four in San Antonio

Bartles

On 3/26/2018 at 1:51 PM, SomeoneYouKnow said:

I'll be there for the semifinal games. Any tips on the scene or am I just to assume the Riverwalk is the place to go?

Soak it all in.  Sure the RiverWalk will be packed but that's part of the Final Four experience.  Pop into different places for a drink.  Someone mentioned Floore Store.  Nah, sorry to disagree, as someone else mentioned it will probably be more packed than downtown.  Midtown mentioned Alamo Brewery and Pearl.  These two plus Southtown for changes of pace.  But again, I would just hang around the River, Convention Center,  including Alamo Street where the live music is.  There is a reason San Antonio has hosted several large events. 

18 hours ago, Chico_SA said:

Soak it all in.  Sure the RiverWalk will be packed but that's part of the Final Four experience.  Pop into different places for a drink.  Someone mentioned Floore Store.  Nah, sorry to disagree, as someone else mentioned it will probably be more packed than downtown.  Midtown mentioned Alamo Brewery and Pearl.  These two plus Southtown for changes of pace.  But again, I would just hang around the River, Convention Center,  including Alamo Street where the live music is.  There is a reason San Antonio has hosted several large events. 

Floores is probably 45 minutes from downtown anyways.  You can also take the river barges as sort of a water taxi to get up and down rhe riverwalk.  

The way the venues are set up now at FFs, there's maybe 500 good seats in the house.   When they used to cut the domes into 1/2 or 2/3 even, there were still good seats or reasonably good seats.   Now, with the entire dome open for seating and the related court placement, there is no worse sporting event to see in person.  I went to 6 FFs but will never attend again.  Just something that's tailor-made now to watch at home. 

Edited by Wally Pryor

15 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

The way the venues are set up now at FFs, there's maybe 500 good seats in the house.   When they used to cut the domes into 1/2 or 2/3 even, there were still good seats or reasonably good seats.   Now, with the entire dome open for seating and the related court placement, there is no worse sporting event to see in person.  I went to 6 FFs but will never attend again.  Just something that's tailor-made now to watch at home. 

It’ll never happen but would love to see it go back to the Arenas, a FF @MSG would be crazy, imo. 

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

It’ll never happen but would love to see it go back to the Arenas, a FF @MSG would be crazy, imo. 

agree.  I personally think the football stadiums water everything down.  The quality of play isn't as good because of the sight lines.  The pressure of the moment is taxing enough on the players, we don't need to add physical impediments to the equation to make teams come out cold.  Also, for the love of god I hope they have the rims tight.  Nothing worse than hearing a rim clank and watching each team play awful at one end of the floor because of a loose rim.

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

I was at the last one in Charlotte in '94.   I think for awhile the NCAA was going to do every 4th year or so in an arena but I think money took over and that went down the drain. 

MSG would be fantastic, agree.   

Pretty sure the last arena F4 was Meadowlands in 1996. I actually think shooting has improved in recent years as the seating alignment is more uniform and also the lighting is perfect. It doesn't take long for players to adjust.

But it does suck. Even having a relatively decent lower level seat for the Nova win a couple years ago, the winning shot seemed like it was a mile away. You can't hear whistles or anything, so once in a while play just stops and they walk to the other end or back to the benches and you have no idea what happened. I doubt NCAA goes back unless attendance falls into the 20's which is unlikely.

I don't necessarily have issues with it being in the Domes as long as they go away from the current configuration.  Was fortunate to have decent to good seats for both FFs in '97 & '98, heard Reliant was horrible for their first FF, improved at the last one. 

Agree with the campus sites for the early rounds and stay with their courts also, leave the generic NCAA courts for the Regionals. 

This will be my first FF. DRiving from Austin we are going to hit Freetail Brewing for lunch and beers around 1130, then park car at the quarry and uber downtown. From their not really sure, maybe hit Friendly Spot, then work our way to fan zone. 

Any suggestions for alternate logistics or other places to go?  I want to experience the FF Excitement but am not a fan of shoulder to shoulder crowds. 

kansascity.com-  Watch Loyola's Ben Richardson, Clayton Custer making big shots ... as fifth graders

Spectrum Sports KC went into its archives and found highlights of Clayton Custer and Ben Richardson from fifth and sixth grade, before they starred at Blue Valley Northwest High and got Loyola Chicago to the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16.

Watch Loyola's Ben Richardson, Clayton Custer making big shots ... as fifth graders

Edited by LosIllini