San Fran for a long weekend with my kiddo

Sleepygrad

13 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Bumping because my son and I landed today and found a fantastic sushi place near the hotel

VwPzxX9r86hRGQIGrW77rSZXTPd2Te4e6J-sIbpcne5pvmhLF2UcsJiqO6kopZe2ySJs9qbzhHcj-1ItAI5DjZ2NqjA2jf3oJ-8aN7WfuOAlPyUhJ0BJRuyagu1uIgBw51lEhskwtj3m_SRiyjyb1dtVQF3piP8obxsLxAvE_eRXzueUbBRPsufQ28SCH_ktxxVC4z4IpWqK130fWd6bW2Sk1M8TyOaJpq5mXsVeGG4JtFwxY6hRoTI_hSoVjyqVC7sheeAnTL_c2kXHuzAKaBIMTPFG0KuYc4MGHMy10qr30QdbyifU5IrepxS5MY_uQVEjcfgOZhYHSiRUlnduvg3-VWJ88_1NXAERrW9bwVIU8mtWVRL9JCMdVDGzbVEzGzTTeeGF_HdlRKYVIecpwdcFdfKEVkp6gR41OmJ8QjUmCR8UqtkWBaisKgYyfTEs_ObfUzOBdv3hTuS2dCCACe3y1-e_Ai4wmpm68do0kWVOPCwktwsaIAQQE6K26pJKl1jgFqC7c5HJqTCuNvCKVP1vwkTNdoBeYxDPhN8JcvdJs1oLoFTi-mPQYp8UtxyPyOsLoHJl4ylMXXZSpAzA8_GbLGthDsNpgAfvprgW_xwNk3XOrBuQgAfIXJ0d2836OGZ3Old7Xb-SZhc-KhCqhGowBb-g4pTmus_S1yBPGrlKPacQ8cM2A_cpBws1kqFdGR3DsCaus0EQnFchIk4bWHM3ptq6Hg1npjW53hks6S65eP6xE5LQHpmu9BcZv8BiQkiZYwDayYMZmk0-0_y2UzII0JrtisPNfQ=w469-h625-no?authuser=0

Also because I spotted this at a sports bar next door to our hotel

L4lI3_jCCCZSjSv7WpGtyBTGxLIVh-6y-cbEXPgnCaeDITQ6JSHT67ZIB3PuAlm8ugMweSTDslU3FfzDWwOdEyUBYqOSEuGe8_BOicmVaDFWaJj0Mv8i6GSsJzD_R8fyGt8MobkjbEOHeHtSQIXs34TQPQ7HC0i7GDckS9qSuk1uiN__XEf_hOlggN9I2z49LnXvBEbDmsTXI03HYc_MxfbShq7DQg8DFEp1zZQBb-C4iNkmy9d5D3NwkvKYiC2caSHwGndjbT5PirS_Y85LFuEb_-NZsDurWiD3wZhI3DaDTQ0JS_VxWFIJgVTPvvBAusjZ8L_vU7fsVt5ClLk5HGaOKMNRsP1y4rlfshwGLGX7GSb78fh3YLSLZrgBc8yep5MC-N08K2_KRLdBCq0kUsSAuOji20IgwW-JG8KtWALrC7ZoMauHtlVd6TMkR0ZOuth7QNpR82ADbZMdahqGx0XdsYG-lHGLaGf-7bfBkLP7E7mlYeHs2nvQxbOB899hZP3XcB3oa2id1xeXDwwAoTFMmOk88B4vVViURpEc6xYkeDC8L7aojL9ihG4d6ymrkBozhaFxPLYyfPrMXwQZN0hExGPJKshHvrzNntfbxq-3aDSuQEF7fJIjSx69RMwlopVRXxZ9qCMPC3KLQkrkAWJDDahDSWZN6PByxhM_IpbPmT2Ap0FCCqGD1UqJ9pSG1aOKwrxLP-JkG8gwh4pUIFi8rr5u7X5G7t7z4Dhn2BKsj3nyVWMIoILSs3MBjdF2QB7SJtt29-a22w40jU8sBa_hGcyCDNiGbg=w469-h625-no?authuser=0

THE COOP STATUES CONTINUE!

Pics aren’t loading, but guessing Maru Sushi on Powell? One of my favorite sports bars, Last Drop Tavern, just opened across the street. Beautiful weekend to head into the Bay. Recommend hitting up a park - Washington in North Beach, Alta Plaza in Pac Heights, Crissy Field or Baker Beach. Also will plug the new park that just opened up near Ghirardelli, Francisco Park. One of the few days of the year you can wear flip flops in the city. 

Edited by We’reTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Take your kid to Muir Woods.

Most overrated thing in the Bay Area. You can easily see redwoods in other places nearby, and you can even access parts of Muir through Mt Tam hiking trails - absolutely no reason to deal with those crowds. 

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Is it Bohemian Grove season?

Main thing is in July, but I’ve had friends up there for events in the past few weeks. 

42 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Any recs on places to watch Game 5 tomorrow night? I'm cool with him in a sports bar (he's heard plenty of sports-related cussing in his fourteen years of watching UT football with me), but I noticed that several around here are 21 and up. 

The Chase Center.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Most overrated thing in the Bay Area. You can easily see redwoods in other places nearby, and you can even access parts of Muir through Mt Tam hiking trails - absolutely no reason to deal with those crowds. 

So, don’t go to Muir Woods, go somewhere else where you can see redwoods and still access Muir Woods. Hot tip, Magellan. 

25 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

So, don’t go to Muir Woods, go somewhere else where you can see redwoods and still access Muir Woods. Hot tip, Magellan. 

Well, you should go to Reinhardt Redwood Park in the East Bay, but if you really want to hike through redwoods in Marin you can totally avoid the clusterfuck of the main Muir entrance and park off the Panoramic Highway (or take the Dipsea Trail) and take trails through redwoods with none of the crowds. Just a local’s tip.  

1 hour ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Any recs on places to watch Game 5 tomorrow night? I'm cool with him in a sports bar (he's heard plenty of sports-related cussing in his fourteen years of watching UT football with me), but I noticed that several around here are 21 and up. 

I don’t know that any sports bars will let a minor in, but I think they can sit outside if the bar has a parklet. Original Joe’s in NB should have the game though, they have a good bar area for game watching. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We went to the Muir Woods today. I didn't realize it before, but that was just what my soul needed. And his too. There were a couple of times when he took his phone out of his pocket and I was about to give him the Standard Dad Speech about "Put that away, we're enjoying nature." But then I realized he was taking pictures of the redwoods. And he took some really good pictures.

Tonight we're watching Golden St at a sports bar. Tomorrow we're going to drive a go-kart down Lombard St and then do a night tour of Alcatraz. It's been a good trip.

Head Nod GIFs | Tenor

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

On 6/13/2022 at 10:17 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

We went to the Muir Woods today. I didn't realize it before, but that was just what my soul needed. And his too.

Amen. That's what I feel when I go there. It's just great to get lost in those big trees. I'll sometimes just stand there and look up for a few minutes in the middle of all those beautiful redwoods. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/12/2022 at 10:43 AM, We’reTexas said:

Well, you should go to Reinhardt Redwood Park in the East Bay, but if you really want to hike through redwoods in Marin you can totally avoid the clusterfuck of the main Muir entrance and park off the Panoramic Highway (or take the Dipsea Trail) and take trails through redwoods with none of the crowds. Just a local’s tip.  

Or anywhere on the Peninsula - La Honda, Purissima, Heritage Grove, Portola…

2 hours ago, Txzen said:

Or anywhere on the Peninsula - La Honda, Purissima, Heritage Grove, Portola…

Now we’re talking. But that’s probably a little too far for tourists. I didn’t mean to start a redwoods fight, but I just find SF tourism confusing in that many of the tourist places are adjacent to superior places but are inexplicably absent of tourists. I love people experiencing my city, but just wish they could experience the best of it. Like, Ghirardelli Square is packed, but Ft Mason is just over the hill. There are mobs at Lombard Street, but a few blocks over Ina Coolbrith offers arguably the best view of the city. Battery Spencer and the whole Hawk Hill drive? Avoid the traffic and hike off Rodeo Beach. Muir Woods is certainly beautiful when not crowded, but as someone who hikes Marin weekly it’s not where I go for my redwoods fix. 

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Now we’re talking. But that’s probably a little too far for tourists. I didn’t mean to start a redwoods fight, but I just find SF tourism confusing in that many of the tourist places are adjacent to superior places but are inexplicably absent of tourists. I love people experiencing my city, but just wish they could experience the best of it. Like, Ghirardelli Square is packed, but Ft Mason is just over the hill. There are mobs at Lombard Street, but a few blocks over Ina Coolbrith offers arguably the best view of the city. Battery Spencer and the whole Hawk Hill drive? Avoid the traffic and hike off Rodeo Beach. Muir Woods is certainly beautiful when not crowded, but as someone who hikes Marin weekly it’s not where I go for my redwoods fix. 

Shut the fuck up, Donny, and let all the tourists go to Muir. 

Rodeo beach is a desolate wasteland. Don’t go there. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, South Austin said:

No Swan’s, but going to try to get in at Sotto Mare today for my last meal of the trip. Staying just down the hill from there.

Sotto Mare is a great choice for the classic North Beach experience. If you can’t get in, recommend Betty Lou’s (actually a break off from Sotto Marre, better food but not the ambience) or Tosca Cafe (great cocktails, little more upscale). Regardless, you should go to Gino and Carlo, a classic NB dive bar, while you wait.  

edit: Trattoria Contadina great as well but pretty hard without a rez. 

Edited by We’reTexas