Google "Do No Evil" meta thread

bernorange

The motto was first suggested either by Google employee Paul Buchheit at a meeting about corporate values that took place in early 2000[7] or in 2001[8] or, according to another account, by Google Engineer Amit Patel in 1999.[9] Buchheit, the creator of Gmail, said he "wanted something that, once you put it in there, would be hard to take out", adding that the slogan was "also a bit of a jab at a lot of the other companies, especially our competitors, who at the time, in our opinion, were kind of exploiting the users to some extent".[7]
In their 2004 founders' letter[14] prior to their initial public offering, Larry Page and Sergey Brin argued that their "Don't be evil" culture prohibited conflicts of interest, and required objectivity and an absence of bias:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_be_evil#History

<rayliottalaughing.gif>

I know it’s unpopular around here, but when i switched to Apple (safari) all my web browsing issues, including pop ups, went away.

That being said; I recently changed all my search engines to DuckDuckGo so the goog starship cant follow me...  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Parliament said:
On 5/31/2019 at 7:52 AM, TwiceHorn said:

No way they do that.

I think they're going to allow some limited ad-blocking that probably more resembles ad-targeting.  But it appears that the days of wholesale, user-controlled ABP etc. are over with Chrome. 

Startpage.com is another search engine to try.  Google search results but without transmitting your info to them.

I still personally find Google Maps results the best versus all the online mapping alternatives, especially within things like the "arrive by" feature. And I won't lie, is handy to have the home address all filled out.

21 hours ago, SDG said:

I know it’s unpopular around here, but when i switched to Apple (safari) all my web browsing issues, including pop ups, went away.

That being said; I recently changed all my search engines to DuckDuckGo so the goog starship cant follow me...  

I just started using Brave for my browser. It's quick and has a built in ad-blocker that works well.

On 6/1/2019 at 5:00 AM, SDG said:

Nothing u popular.  MacOS is superb and safari has been very good since they allowed extension (for things like AdBlock).  The only negative against them is not being multiplatform, so I can't sync with Android phone or PCs