Tulsi Gabbard

bernorange

She's generally considered a political opportunist of the first order.  I think most people inside the beltway think she'd switch parties in a heartbeat if it allowed her to advance office.

In most districts, she'd be primaried from the left in a heartbeat, but Hawaiian retail politics are weird, to say the least.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

... of the first order?  What does that make Cruz or virtually any other pandering schlub in D.C.?  How many orders are there?  😛

Yeah, I get what Bates is saying, but it's a dramatic statement.  Chief Whore in the Parliament of Whores?

Ah, so your DC connections are/were pissed that she was a Bernie Bro?  I wasn't paying attention to Gabbard or the Bernie Bro movement, so I'm not privy to the details, but do you really think her backing Bernie was opportunistic as in she was angling to leverage that into some administration position (meaning that she had calculated Bernie's chance of winning the nomination/general at better than a coin flip), or was the support based more on principle (which kind of refutes the whole "opportunistic" narrative)?

Sounds like her support for Bernie was in line with her constituents, unlike the other superdelegates in the state of Hawaii.

e • d Democratic Party's presidential nominating process in Hawaii, 2016
– Summary of results –
Candidate Popular vote Estimated delegates
Count Percentage Pledged Unpledged Total
Bernie Sanders 25,530 71.5% 17 2 19
Hillary Clinton 10,125 28.4% 8 5 13
Rocky De La Fuente 12 0.0%      
Martin O'Malley (withdrawn) 6 0.0%      
Uncommitted 43 0.1% 0 2 2
Total 35,716 100% 25 9 34

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Sounds like her support for Bernie was in line with her constituents, unlike the other superdelegates in the state of Hawaii.

– Summary of results –

hence, 

"She's going nowhere in the Democratic Party"

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bernorange said:

Ah, so your DC connections are/were pissed that she was a Bernie Bro?  I wasn't paying attention to Gabbard or the Bernie Bro movement, so I'm not privy to the details, but do you really think her backing Bernie was opportunistic as in she was angling to leverage that into some administration position (meaning that she had calculated Bernie's chance of winning the nomination/general at better than a coin flip), or was the support based more on principle (which kind of refutes the whole "opportunistic" narrative)?

It's not her positions per se, it's that she changes them constantly to fit whatever the political dynamic of the moment is.  I give zero shits about Bernie/Hilary thing.   She was seen as a rising star in the traditional Democratic party.  Young, Attractive, Military background, Big Fundraiser.  She didn't become Vice Chair of the DNC by being an outsider.   Then she became a Bernie Girl after a split with the DNC.  I don't really know the background, but my guess is she got crosswise with Clinton/Debbie Wasserman Schultz and got cast out. Then she played footsie with Trump during his first year.  Now she's taking a try at the Ben Sasse "Both Sides Do It" bit.

She has no principles.  Look at her house career.  Other than a couple of minor vet related issues, she hasn't done anything. There's no signature issue that she's promoted.

If you are a mainlander and you are trying to draw any inference's from Hawaii politics: Don't.  You don't understand them. Hawaiian politics, like Alaska, do not conform to our traditional understanding of party.

Also, her foreign policy views are......unusual. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Anastasis said:

– Summary of results –

Hawaii has a caucus.

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Is she? Not very familiar with her.

She's a huge supporter of Modi and the BJP (right-wing Hindu nationalist party).  She also voted for additional restrictions on refugees entering the US from Iraq and Syria. 

https://qz.com/india/628124/tulsi-gabbard-the-first-hindu-in-the-us-congress-on-modi-hinduism-and-linking-islam-to-terror/

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/05/tulsi-gabbard-president-sanders-democratic-party

Edited by Fozzz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

LOL - is Rogan really an Alex Jones fan?  I mean, that's really a good way to shit on somebody...'he's an Alex Jones fan'.  

Yeah, I used to occasionally catch his YouTube show when he had an interesting guest on.

Last week, I was looking through some stuff, and came across an interview he had with somebody where Rogan was bemoaning the fact that Alex just needed somebody like him sitting next to Jones and telling him "hey Alex, this is over the line, you need to focus on something else" and he was talking about how they've been friends for 20 years, and he's still his friend, etc.

Also, Rogan is a moon landing denier.  He likes to do the "I don't know enough about astrophysics and how rockets travel to determine if we landed or not", but then he goes into crap like "how could the astronauts bounce around like they were on trampolines" etc.

Some of his guests are very interesting, but then you're sitting there thinking what a fucking idiot he is, and it kind of turns me off to listening.

• 1 month later...

Democratic Rep. Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii is considering running for president in 2020, a source with direct knowledge of her deliberations told POLITICO.

Rania Batrice, an adviser to the progressive congresswoman and deputy campaign manager on Bernie Sanders’ 2016 presidential campaign, has been putting out feelers for digital and speechwriting staff for Gabbard. One person approached about the positions say that 2020 wasn’t mentioned explicitly, but it was heavily implied.

Batrice denied that the staffers are being hired for a presidential campaign. She did not dispute, however, that Gabbard is considering joining what’s expected to be a crowded field of Democratic presidential contenders.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/19/tulsi-gabbard-2020-presidential-bid-917418

I live in Hawaii part of the year and am very familiar with Tulsi and also her father who is a State Senator.  A very close friend of mine has helped counsel Tulsi's father politically for over a decade and helped with some initial Tulsi advice way at the beginning.  Tulsi is VERY ambitious and will not likely just be satisfied winning easy House elections in Hawaii for the next 20-30 years which could be the case if she wanted to go that route.  She has some conservative roots both from family and other affiliations but above anything else, she is opportunistic.  You'd have to be to try running for President while being under 40 years old.  She definitely took some risk in the Sanders/Clinton DNC stuff to be sure.   

1 minute ago, UTDD said:

I live in Hawaii part of the year and am very familiar with Tulsi and also her father who is a State Senator.  A very close friend of mine has helped counsel Tulsi's father politically for over a decade and helped with some initial Tulsi advice way at the beginning.  Tulsi is VERY ambitious and will not likely just be satisfied winning easy House elections in Hawaii for the next 20-30 years which could be the case if she wanted to go that route.  She has some conservative roots both from family and other affiliations but above anything else, she is opportunistic.  You'd have to be to try running for President while being under 40 years old.  She definitely took some risk in the Sanders/Clinton DNC stuff to be sure.    

Really truly surprised she didn't try to primary Hirono this year.  I don't think she'll primary Schatz in 2022 so her best bet is probably running for POTUS in 2020 because she's kinda stuck to be a House member.

I understand the critique on toppling dictators and supporting intervining wars in Yemen, and Lybia's failure.

That being said, after we removed Sadam, there's no putting the toothpaste back in the tube.

Are you really saying that we should support Assad's regime in Syria? I mean, that's the stance that the Russian's have taken. Yeah its easier for them b/c he's an ally and they have a base there. It makes their decision easier.

Should we allow Iranian inflused Shia's to take control of Yemen?

Should we suuport a Saudi regime that executes journalists in consulates in other countries?

These are the hard choices now. 

It's not an easy choice. That's why we keep f'n up. There is no right answer, only a less bad one.

I cannot overstate just how terrible and epic the decision to go into Iraq was. 

It may be my only agreement with Trump, but it is the worst choice the US has made since Vietnam (and possibly greater).

When history books are writtend they will draw a straight line from Iraq to the Arab spring to ISIS to Syria to immigration crisis to destablizing Europe to Ukraine to a more empowered Russia to Trump to nationalism to then Trumps pulling back from international norms etc, etc, 

11 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

When history books are written they will draw a straight line from Iraq to the Arab spring ...

The Arab Spring had a number of issues which factored into it's impetus, including populations repressed by dictatorships, but that street merchant in Tunisia who set himself on fire was the flashpoint for it and that was pretty much a result of economic problems caused by the Federal Reserve here in the USA. Our monetary policy (QE2) was feeding a rise in commodity prices.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/8492078/How-the-Fed-triggered-the-Arab-Spring-uprisings-in-two-easy-graphs.html

https://finance.townhall.com/columnists/billtatro/2012/06/01/hey-bernanke-thanks-of-the-arab-spring-n817481

• Like 1

Her cozying up to Trump following his election was a fatal error for any future presidential run. I can see Dotus tweeting after an early televised debate "I've always admired Tulsi Gabbard! A very nice woman but the rest of the Dems treat her so badly! Sad!" and that will be the end of that.

I agree that she could consider switching parties if the White House is her true aspiration.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Seems as thought she might of sort of kinda hated gays at one point:

Listed among Gabbard's past work in the profile by the Honolulu newspaper was her work at The Alliance for Traditional Marriage. 
A CNN KFile review of the organization's website, which is archived on the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine, uncovers the organization supported controversial gay conversion therapy, which treats homosexuality as a mental illness that can be fixed. The practice is opposed by the American Medical Association and the American Psychiatric Association and has been banned for use on minors in 14 states and D.C., including Hawaii in 2018.
"Our win in Hawaii, along with Alaska's victory, sends a very clear message to the homosexual movement-we do not want homosexual marriage advocates forcing their values on our communities," Tulsi's father Mike wrote in a message on the website of the group shortly after the passage of the constitutional amendment in 1998.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/13/politics/kfile-tulsi-gabbard-lgbt/index.html

Hard pass.  Like, the hardest pass possible.

Cozied up to Trump for a potential cabinet gig

Recent history of supporting and working for anti-LGBT groups, including conversion therapy groups. 

Oh and Assad supporter.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, HRSchenker said:

How was her position on gay marriage any different from Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton around that time? Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember both of them supporting civil unions rather than "marriage equality" during the 2008 election cycle. 

Nice try, Mr. Gabbard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HRSchenker said:

How was her position on gay marriage any different from Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton around that time? Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember both of them supporting civil unions rather than "marriage equality" during the 2008 election cycle. 

I don't recall any of them supporting Gay Conversion Therapy though...that's kind of a big deal.  Based on that and what UTDD said, I would be shocked if she was actually very conservative, but ran as a Dem because that's how you win in Hawaii.  Seems like an opportunist...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

She called it the homosexual movement.  She was a lot more than just anti-gay marriage.  She called pro-gay marriage folks "homosexual extremists."   She also said anti-gay bullying measures would "normalize" homosexuality and lamented the "gay agenda" in schools.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/presidential-dem-candidate-tulsi-gabbard-under-fire-for-anti-gay-remarks-says-she-regrets-them-and-that-shes-evolved

She basically tore the playbook from Bush's 2004 re-election campaign in some of her remarks.

Edited by Js1