Outdoor Forum????

BabaYaga

16 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Taking my oldest carbon copy out to the ranch this weekend in fact along with a buddy and his son.  Cigars.  Fishing.  A little tannerite as long as mom doesn't find out.  I'm thinking 'Chimi's' from Allsups on the way out, BBQ @ Big O's in Valera for lunch, then grilled backstrap and friend fish tacos for dinner.  All while the rib and daughter are out of town at a tournament.  

But yeah, lacrosse and Quidditch...

You're going to give everyone the shits for a week, which is what Outdoors is all about. I'm down for a dedicated section.

• Haha 1

Not only do we need an outdoors category, we then need to divvy it into a number of more specific activities. As noted, there's no shortage of possibilities.

And yes, hunting exotics is cool...with a wide range of locations, weapons, etc. Texas is obviously the epicenter of the universe on that. 

Contact Spider (as I've done) - we need a place for all this greatness.  And speaking of exotics, we had a few twitchy little blackbucks on our place this last season.  Low-crawling little goat-things!  They knuckle down, lay their horns back, and can damn near slip under anything.  Never did get a shot on one.  Got out from a nearby managed place.  Saw one on a card I pulled, then briefly in a field.  Then went back and they were gone.  RUNN...OFT...

I’m down.

I think sometimes the CYHMWT stuff got lost in the Meta threads, or otherwise contributors didn’t know where to find the discussions  

Huntin, Fishin, Ranchin, Shootin and Knifin, meta-threads are up, maybe they can be rounded up in the chute and sent to this new green pasture. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

I’m down.

I think sometimes the CYHMWT stuff got lost in the Meta threads, or otherwise contributors didn’t know where to find the discussions  

Huntin, Fishin, Ranchin, Shootin and Knifin, meta-threads are up, maybe they can be rounded up in the chute and sent to this new green pasture. 

100%.  Just a bucket to keep all these great threads in one place where we can find them!  

Speaking of which, any of you redneck bastards know a guy with a tractor/shredder?  Near Coleman/Valera - two decent sized fields (8+ acres and 35+ acres).  Used to be sown with winter wheat.  G-parents passed, ownership passed to the us, mesquites & broomweed starting to reclaim it.  Need to shred the growth, then take a plow disk to it.  Then spot treat mesquite with remedy/diesel backpack sprayers.  Love to find a guy looking for a place to harvest sorghum, hay, etc..  Not looking to make a penny.  Just a place for a farmer that wants to make a little money on a local crop.  Have at it.  

It would be convenient for the Gun thread, the Hunting thread, the knife thread, and the boating thread to be in the same forum; not to mention the “what tractor should I buy” type stuff that usually gets posted in the Help forum.

Petition signed

8 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

What about non-classic cars, just home mechanic shit?   Should that have its own thread, or did you intend for all shop talk to be on that one?

I'm not the boss of that stuff and I don't get bent when people take thread tangents.  If you need help with a specific topic it might be good to go with a new thread so it gets seen.  I was just posting progress on my ride since it has been a journey to get it on the road again.

I've never liked a Timney in a 77, but I did see this on the Rugerforum.net:

The Timney trigger install is relatively simple to do.

The Timney trigger kit comes with a trigger, spring, and sear.

Installation is straight forward except that an internal portion of the trigger that protrudes down now to be referred to as the TAB , must be carefully filed down. That portion is positioned directly below the rotating safety that is located on the rear of and on one side (depending on right or left handed rifles) of the receiver.

Looking at the bottom of the safety which is a cylinder about 3/8 inches in diameter you will notice a "V" shaped cut; when that cut is directly below the TAB the safety is OFF and the rifle will fire. When the cut is not below the trigger TAB the safety is ON but depending if the locking pin is deployed into a hole in the root of the bolt the bolt may or may not be opened.

As you might figure out is, if too much of the TAB is filed off the safety will not work and the rifle will fire because trigger movement is not restricted.

The installation plan would be: clamp the barreled action by the barrel in a padded vice bottom side up, minus bolt, all bottom metal (magazine box, follower, trigger guard, receiver screws/bolts, and follower spring), remove the factory trigger, sear, and two pins (longer one for trigger, shorter one for sear) and trigger spring, install the Timney sear using the factory sear pin, position the Timney spring inside the Timney trigger and then try to install the Timney trigger, if it won't fit position the "V" shaped cut under the TAB (remember the receiver is bottom side up). At his point you will get an idea of how much of the TAB to file off. Start filing very cautiously, like about .002 per increment, reinstalling the trigger between filing events until the tab barely clears the safety cylinder (about .006 inch).

Before final testing clean off everything to remove any debris.

Put the bolt into the rifle, check to see if the sear engages the cocking piece on the bolt and cocks, try working the safety - test it.

The only concern is to not remove too much of the TAB. work slowly with a small high quality mill type file (flat file with one set of cutting surfaces) avoid using a Dremel tool because it can very quickly cut away too much of the TAB and will also leave many abrasive particles in the action.

Sounds more involved that it actually is.

When everything is reassembled the functions to adjust trigger pull and over travel can be figured out.

I really like my Timney triggers but I have also been working on Ruger rifles for years - if in doubt get help to put the first one in, possibly you can watch it being done so the second one will be easier. Some time ago in the Ruger Bolt action section I posted something on trigger jobs, I noted this so it appears on the top of the Ruger Bolt Action Section
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Quasimofo said:

I've never liked a Timney in a 77, but I did see this on the Rugerforum.net:

Any other suggestions?  Jewell?  Shilen?  I just want to get this girl a little more dialed in for longer range varmint hunting.  Trigger is the lower hanging fruit and much cheaper.  Better glass is where I'm going to have to do some research.  Was all set to go with Vortex (HS 6-24 x 50), then I see hear great things about Rudolph (Tac T1 6-24 x 50 30mm).  

Great platform.  Wish I could get another in 6.5C and really start stretching my shooting legs past 500yds.  

Any other suggestions?  Jewell?  Shilen?  I just want to get this girl a little more dialed in for longer range varmint hunting.  Trigger is the lower hanging fruit and much cheaper.  Better glass is where I'm going to have to do some research.  Was all set to go with Vortex (HS 6-24 x 50), then I see hear great things about Rudolph (Tac T1 6-24 x 50 30mm).  
Great platform.  Wish I could get another in 6.5C and really start stretching my shooting legs past 500yds.  
If you've got the drop-in Timney, I'd go with that. I'm assuming you want a trigger pull under 3.

14 minutes ago, Quasimofo said:
52 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

If you've got the drop-in Timney, I'd go with that. I'm assuming you want a trigger pull under 3.

< 3 at a minimum.  Around 2 would be better.  Being able to adjust and try various configurations being the optimal scenario.