Put in the big hole and gouge on it (truck driver check in)

drifter379

Mack CXU613. Tractor was golden. The 55 ton Fontaine trailer had all she wanted though. Maybe get another 5-8k out of it if we jacked the rear ride height up a little.

I don't really drive these days, once in a blue moon. My lowboy driver was doing this, he was happy as shit to have some weight back there. Don't have many big machines anymore.

We used to haul 100,000 lb 962 Liebherrs on with Ford L9000 and 35 ton Rogers trailer lol. Back in the day when anything goes.

• Like 1

How are you guys adjusting to paper logs? We're about 3 months with BigRoad and are finding out how much you have to cover your ass before you get a big yellow "!" on your logs.

is there a general consensus that the inspectors are understanding theres a learning curve to go along with these things?

Mack CXU613. Tractor was golden. The 55 ton Fontaine trailer had all she wanted though. Maybe get another 5-8k out of it if we jacked the rear ride height up a little.
I don't really drive these days, once in a blue moon. My lowboy driver was doing this, he was happy as shit to have some weight back there. Don't have many big machines anymore.
We used to haul 100,000 lb 962 Liebherrs on with Ford L9000 and 35 ton Rogers trailer lol. Back in the day when anything goes.
Sounds like when I was driving back in the day. We hauled batch plants and equipment from job to job. Asphalt dryer weighed 185K. Farthest I hauled it was Sweetwater to Crown Point, NM. Damn thing had 6 axles with small tires. Was constantly stopping to change blowouts on hot days.

17 hours ago, drifter379 said:

Going to NUCOR steel. It's part of a mold.

Those super loads are bad ass. How fast would you like to see 500,000lbs going down the road?

Forgot I posted that...may have been just a little lit that night. Let me rephrase - What I meant to say on the link was, "Holy Shit, over half a million pounds?!"

Outside of having a couple of friends that used to be drivers, I don't really know much about what y'all do. This thread is fascinating as hell to me.

18 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

How are you guys adjusting to paper logs? We're about 3 months with BigRoad and are finding out how much you have to cover your ass before you get a big yellow "!" on your logs.

is there a general consensus that the inspectors are understanding theres a learning curve to go along with these things?

Here's an example. Had a flat on my trailer the other night. Was still on the bead not blown out. So I kept going. Got to a truck stop with 15 minutes left on my Elog(electronic log book) 

if I had pulled into the shop to get it fixed I would have been in violation after it was done and pulled out to find a parking spot. Our log is set to switch to driving between 2-4 mph. 

So I waited until morning, after my 10 hour reset. Started my clock and went to the shop. 

Before elog I would have had my tire fixed before I went to bed and been ready to roll after my 10 hour break. 

7 hours ago, RPM said:
19 hours ago, G650 said:

Sounds like when I was driving back in the day. We hauled batch plants and equipment from job to job. Asphalt dryer weighed 185K. Farthest I hauled it was Sweetwater to Crown Point, NM. Damn thing had 6 axles with small tires. Was constantly stopping to change blowouts on hot days.

Definitely a different time. Wonder why we had to replace the trailers every couple years...

We also had this home built concrete crusher that weighed god knows what. Thing had three axles, you could see the sidewalls bulging. Never took it more than a few miles in surface roads, was happy as shit to see that thing go.

Edited by G650

Construction project just started near my home.  They brought in a Cat 5130 Excavator.  Mofo weighs 400,000 lbs.  

Main unit came in on a 9 axle.  The two components of the "hoe" each came in on a low bed.  They brought in a crane and two 3 axle service trucks from the Cat dealer to assemble thing.  

It's fucking enormous.  maxresdefault.jpg

This isn't a photo that I took, but it's the same type of machine.  17 feet from outside of track to outside of opposite track. 

Need some help.
I bought a dash cam and a card reader that plugs into my iPhone/iPad.
I can watch video off of it but I can't figure out how to capture it onto the phone. I don't have a computer. Any help would be appreciated. Would like to share road videos.

803aac1f41aad60b8ab2717b51ef2aab.jpg

20 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Construction project just started near my home.  They brought in a Cat 5130 Excavator.  Mofo weighs 400,000 lbs.  

Main unit came in on a 9 axle.  The two components of the "hoe" each came in on a low bed.  They brought in a crane and two 3 axle service trucks from the Cat dealer to assemble thing.  

It's fucking enormous.  maxresdefault.jpg

This isn't a photo that I took, but it's the same type of machine.  17 feet from outside of track to outside of opposite track. 

That's a mining machine. Someone is using it for a construction project?

1 hour ago, G650 said:

That's a mining machine. Someone is using it for a construction project?

Yep.  I worked for a grading outfit in college.  I became a pretty good hand on a 12G blade, and on 966 and 980 loaders.  I've never seen anything like that used on a construction site.  

It's probably a 20 acre site, and they are putting in a couple of hundred condos.  

24 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Yep.  I worked for a grading outfit in college.  I became a pretty good hand on a 12G blade, and on 966 and 980 loaders.  I've never seen anything like that used on a construction site.  

It's probably a 20 acre site, and they are putting in a couple of hundred condos.  

Family was in grading and excavating when I was in school as well.  I couldn't operate anything worth a shit.  Ended up as a grade-checker.

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

They are putting that on a little 20 acre site???? Christ, it costs more to move it than the entire profit from the job. That's insane. 

I still have a 12G btw. 

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

I hope you truckers aren't posting and driving at the same time.

I grew up on a farm and we had all 2-stroke Detroits.  I remember curling up on the seat of our GMC 9500 and sleeping.  Loud as hell with that doghouse.

I grew up with Detroits, 671 & 871. Dad owned a 66 Diamond T with a 238 that was tweaked just a tad. It had a chromed crank, 70 injectors and would turn 2650. It could out pull 250 & 290 Cummins all day long. He did have twin resonators so it wasn't a straight pipe, but it was damned close. We used a PA speaker for the CB so you could hear it.

Diamond_T_1973.png

You may notice the extra 250 gallon steel Mack fuel tanks he added so he could cross the border in El Paso and fill up with Mexican fuel. You were limited to 20 gallons (unless you gave the border guard a receipt for 20 gallons along with a crispy new $20 bill). He could hold about 700.

Running loaded down a long hill and you hit your jake.  Not uncommon to still speed up.  Left unchecked you'll over rev the engine.  Assuming you're in a low gear and not in danger of going to fast (just over revving) what do you do?  I've been told you mash the brake for a just a few seconds then let up.

Asking for a friend.

1 hour ago, drifter379 said:

Not sure if it was just the clutch or the whole transmission. Will find out later today. Either way looks like I'm going to be stuck in Wichita, KS for a while.
1d73c11fa2f8be3f97d3b3f5bab4a710.jpg

Ah, the worst.

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Running loaded down a long hill and you hit your jake.  Not uncommon to still speed up.  Left unchecked you'll over rev the engine.  Assuming you're in a low gear and not in danger of going to fast (just over revving) what do you do?  I've been told you mash the brake for a just a few seconds then let up.

Asking for a friend.

Depends. You can drag the brake intermittently, but I'd not recommend stabbing the brake if I had a lot of weight. I think most modern motors have a lot of overrev protection, but a current driver could tell you more I'm sure.

I drove some at my old job, and only very rarely now.  There was one particular hill running down to the Heart River that I'm thinking of in particular.  IIRC, I'd slow WAY down before the hill then do the drag (stab is the wrong word) thing.  Nobody ever told me better.  Fortunately I never killed anyone.

Do not stab or repeatedly apply the brakes. That's how you burn them up. Using constant light pressure is the right way. The old rule was drop off a mountain at or below the speed you topped it. With all the horsepower today's engines have, that would get you in big trouble. Brakes have improved a lot with disc, but there's still a lot of drums being used. I used to scoot over on the shoulder to kick up snow during the winter. Probably didn't help, but it made me feel better. Summertime I just watched the smoke and prayed.

7 hours ago, Parliament said:

Asking for a friend.

I'd try and match revs and upshift one before it got to that point (like < 2k rpm).

5 hours ago, RPM said:

Do not stab or repeatedly apply the brakes. That's how you burn them up. Using constant light pressure is the right way. The old rule was drop off a mountain at or below the speed you topped it. With all the horsepower today's engines have, that would get you in big trouble. Brakes have improved a lot with disc, but there's still a lot of drums being used. I used to scoot over on the shoulder to kick up snow during the winter. Probably didn't help, but it made me feel better. Summertime I just watched the smoke and prayed.

Horsepower indeed.  I can remember riding with my Dad in his '73 International with a 335 Cummins to Las Vegas from L.A., and creeping up Baker Grade and Mountain Pass at 20 MPH or so.  Now, I drive to Vegas in my Mercedes (no humblebrag) and the fucking trucks are passing me going up those hills.