Cord Cutters Thread

Not in a huge metro area, but have had Vue for a little over a year and have been happy with it.  Stream is usually rock solid.  We recently got our local CBS affiliate on board, but the stream is pretty inconsistent, even when everything else is solid.  Have a good OTA antenna and Tablo, which covers the locals until Vue gets them sorted out, but was surprised that the stream would vary from channel to channel.

Cut UVerse last year and have tried cord cutting over the past few months.  Glad I did it but there is no perfect answer:

Directvnow - free apple TV, LHN requires $50/mo sub

YoutubeTV - no LHN but has MLB, $35/mo is good, most locals (no NBC)

PSVue - seemed to be laggy for the week I tried it but may need to give it another shot, LHN/MLB in the $45/mo sub

11 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Come on Directtvnow, release your dvr. 

i've had the dvr for a few months now and i've only used it to see if it actually works. for now, it's incredibly basic. however i've been spoiled by tivo for so many years now that the gap currently between them is so huge. as long as the dtvnow one remains free (with a decent amount of storage), it'll still be a great feature.

58 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My DTVNow’s initial promo term is up this week.  Does anyone know if they offer any deals after you cancel?  

No, and that is kinda the point. The days of fucking around trying to get the best deal out of your provider are about done. You don't like the rate, cancel and go somewhere else.

For PSVue what kind of success do you have watching when away from home.  I often get a message on the app and/or website that "this channel is blocked for remote viewing"  Happens sometimes in the US and quite often if outside the US.  Is there a safe proxy I can use outside the country?

4 hours ago, orange dream said:

For PSVue what kind of success do you have watching when away from home.  I often get a message on the app and/or website that "this channel is blocked for remote viewing"  Happens sometimes in the US and quite often if outside the US.  Is there a safe proxy I can use outside the country?

I forgot they recently loosened the restrictions on streaming outside of your home network.  Just pulled it up on my phone and it worked perfectly over LTE.  What channels do you remember that were blocked before?  I'd be happy to check them out over a mobile connection to see how they stream.

On 3/26/2018 at 1:17 PM, TxEx84 said:

Vue does have LHN, but DTVNow does not.

That depends on the package and location.  LHN is available in Texas or you can use your credentials on the watchespn app outside of Texas.  

we got in on the 4k appletv for 3mo prepaid dtv now. used it for about a week but haven’t touched it since. we still rely on dvr quite a bit at casa de dirt. we’ll cancel after the prepaid portion is up and wait til dvr is finally released to give it another go. 

12 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

No, and that is kinda the point. The days of fucking around trying to get the best deal out of your provider are about done. You don't like the rate, cancel and go somewhere else.

I canceled online and they offered $25 off per month for 3 months 

11 hours ago, Longhornlax said:

Is there any way to get Astros games in DFW without uverse? I have been using directv now, but my four months are almost up and was thinking about trying a different service.

If you are ok to watch on a laptop, then reddit mlbstreams is your friend.  

Like others my 4 months of directv now is almost up.  I like it but really only watch a handful of stations.   Might move back to sling.  One of the best aspects of the streaming services are the zero commitment and shared hardware.   

• Like 1

I use a Nvdia Shield TV for all my streaming services.   runs Android TV.. Can stream PC games if you have a NVIDIA video card.  I run a Plex server on my PC for all my movies and media.  all connected via Powerline adapters.   what is everyone else's hardware setup?

• Like 1

On 3/27/2018 at 10:03 AM, orange dream said:

I haven't had any issues, but i'm not out of country either.  Was able to catch all march madness games flawlessly away from home.

One thing to not forget... Try getting standalone apps for certain channels.   They still verify VUE account, but sometimes work better away from home.

Examples:  FreeForm Channel.  Can watch original Vacation movie anytime i want.   On VUE would only be there if I DVR'ed it. 

My wife does same thing with Hallmark Channel App : 

• Like 1

We are on DTVNow and really enjoy it. We got in on the $35 deal for 70 channels plus HBOgo and streaming is free on ATT wireless. But if any of those two conditions change, I would move to YoutubeTV as it is the smoothest and slickest of all the streaming services. 

We are on DTVNow and really enjoy it. We got in on the $35 deal for 70 channels plus HBOgo and streaming is free on ATT wireless. But if any of those two conditions change, I would move to YoutubeTV as it is the smoothest and slickest of all the streaming services. 
Same. Does anyone know how to get youtube tv on a fire tv?

11 hours ago, BNB said:

Same. Does anyone know how to get youtube tv on a fire tv?

I don't know about Youtube TV, but you can get to youtube by using either Silk or Mozilla browser on Fire TV.  We have some movies bought from Google, and that is how we watch them.  They look the same as using the Youtube App on the TV.

I run Hulu TV on my Fire TV and Fire Sticks and love it. There were some lags at the beginning of football season, but by mid season it was running smooth.

I may try out DirectTV Now, just for the sake of getting the free Apple TV next time they run that promo.

2 hours ago, TTU13 said:

It appears that there’s an app that you can use to stream through your fire tv.

Last I checked, the Youtube app doesn't work.  You need to use the browser as a work around.  As soon as you open it, there's a Youtube bookmark.  Amazon/Google slap fight.

https://yourtechexplained.com/2017/12/05/how-to-watch-youtube-tv-on-amazon-fire-tv/

Last I checked, the Youtube app doesn't work.  You need to use the browser as a work around.  As soon as you open it, there's a Youtube bookmark.  Amazon/Google slap fight.
https://yourtechexplained.com/2017/12/05/how-to-watch-youtube-tv-on-amazon-fire-tv/

Right. There appears to be a 3rd party app that lets you stream from your non fire tv device to your fire tv using YouTube tv.

Or like you said use the browser work around.

2 hours ago, William_Cannon said:

Anyone have a recommendation for an attic antenna? Im in Southwest Austin so not too far from the towers. However, my indoor amplified antennas doesn’t work well with this TV anymore. I’m guessing the trees are now creating an obstruction.

I got this one from walmart and it works like a champ. 

• Like 1

Any recommendations for internet providers? I cut Uverse, but kept ATT internet. I'm using PSVue, and we're *okay* with Vue.

The problem is we have a data limit with ATT internet now, and it's not as cheap as I'd like. Any ideas? (We're in East Round Rock if that matters)

33 minutes ago, tchookem said:

Any recommendations for internet providers? I cut Uverse, but kept ATT internet. I'm using PSVue, and we're *okay* with Vue.

The problem is we have a data limit with ATT internet now, and it's not as cheap as I'd like. Any ideas? (We're in East Round Rock if that matters)

I think the consensus in Austin area is if you can get Grande or Google Fiber do that.

On 3/26/2018 at 1:23 PM, Dry Elbows said:

Seems like it's to the point where the only downside to cutting the cord is no LHN.  Is that pretty accurate?  We're thinking about it but haven't made the plunge.

Watching the Littlefield Relays on DTVNow as I type.  One of the reasons I was willing to cut the cord. Can also use the ESPN app with your subscription. There you can watch a 4-screen split feed  which is amazing in the fall. 

• Like 1