Cord Cutters Thread

1 hour ago, NoName said:

the unlimited DVR is literally one of their best features. especially when everyone else has some form of limited DVR sizes.

this is super underrated. want to watch all of (any sports team in any major sport) - just search for it. want to only record NFL playoff games? boom - done. MLB? same.

the extended times help for almost every sporting even that has even a tiny chance of running over.

This is not even mentioning the "key plays" feature with games using the DVR.  If you record a game and you don't want to watch it fully, you can watch only the key plays in less than 10 minutes.

• Hook 'Em 1

We have a Hulu/Disney account via my SIL.  She pays $12.99 a month.  Am I not able to just add ESPN+ w/o upping the monthly fee?

When looking online, I see that all three should fall under the $12.99 subscription; however, when trying to complete the process myself, I'm prompted to sign up for a Hulu Live acct before being able to get ESPN+.  This was $60 bucks or so.

We have a Hulu/Disney account via my SIL.  She pays $12.99 a month.  Am I not able to just add ESPN+ w/o upping the monthly fee?
When looking online, I see that all three should fall under the $12.99 subscription; however, when trying to complete the process myself, I'm prompted to sign up for a Hulu Live acct before being able to get ESPN+.  This was $60 bucks or so.
I think you'll have to have your sister upgrade to the bundle and then venmo her the cash. You or she have to log into your Hulu account with the email address that started the account.

Bundle Q&A

13 minutes ago, DCLonghorn said:

I think you'll have to have your sister upgrade to the bundle and then venmo her the cash. You or she have to log into your Hulu account with the email address that started the account.

Bundle Q&A

Link isn't working.  Does this bundle option increase the cost?  I.E. I have her Hulu acct info in hand.  If it's as simple as adding ESPN+ to the acct, I can do that myself.  If it requires Hulu Live or any type of price increase, then I don't need it.

Link isn't working.  Does this bundle option increase the cost?  I.E. I have her Hulu acct info in hand.  If it's as simple as adding ESPN+ to the acct, I can do that myself.  If it requires Hulu Live or any type of price increase, then I don't need it.
Fück I'm getting old when I can't get the damn links right!

https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_article_content&sys_kb_id=b0837ec11b890010b8651f861a4bcb7a
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

So what's the point in cord cutting anymore?  The services plus internet are now equivalent to premium cable plus internet.

I was just researching this and if you're in an area that can get Xfinity typically their top tier offering is better than a cord cutting bundle when everything is added up.

We have Netflix, Disney+/ESPN+/Hulu, Prime, and antenna. Trade the Netflix login for the in-laws HBOMax login. This gives us everything we would ever want to watch except a handful of live sports that aren't broadcast OTA. It comes out to $30/month excluding Prime because we'd have Prime regardless. This is about the max I'm willing to pay for TV because I just really don't give that much of a shit about it.

On 3/6/2021 at 10:54 AM, TwiceHorn said:

So what's the point in cord cutting anymore?  The services plus internet are now equivalent to premium cable plus internet.

Cord cutting is also more about minimalism. It was never about an equal replacement of the 500 channel cable package. I know some are attempting to replicate their old 500 channels with their 6 streaming subscriptions but that isn't cord cutting.

IMO, cord cutting is more like using an antenna to get the 4 major channels, and then a couple of streaming channels. You definitely lose the ability to watch some well known channels (HGTV, Lifetime, etc) but for most of us, that is ok.

For me, I have an antenna, Netflix, Amazon Prime and a year long trial with Apple TV+.  I also have a Youtube Premium account to skip YT commercials, so its fair to count that cost.  I will probably subscribe to Hulu and HBO Max for a couple of months this year to catch up on their series. That's another thing, stop with the full year subscription to everything. Rotate them.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 3/6/2021 at 10:54 AM, TwiceHorn said:

One plus I really like is being able to place a TV anywhere without worry of "do I have a cable jack nearby". Inside, outside, garage... no worries... wifi is all I need. If I build a new house I wouldn't run coax anywhere and would limit ethernet to only the locations I planned to put wifi points.  This plus being able to watch anywhere via mobile / casting / etc. can take with me to friends or hotel and such (depending on any service restrictions). Combine with being able to start and stop without speaking to anyone or having to wait for anyone entering my house ever.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

One plus I really like is being able to place a TV anywhere without worry of "do I have a cable jack nearby". Inside, outside, garage... no worries... wifi is all I need. If I build a new house I wouldn't run coax anywhere and would limit ethernet to only the locations I planned to put wifi points.  This plus being able to watch anywhere via mobile / casting / etc. can take with me to friends or hotel and such (depending on any service restrictions). Combine with being able to start and stop without speaking to anyone or having to wait for anyone entering my house ever.

being able to watch on mobile/casting is huge.

i can't tell you how many times im out working in the garage or in the yard and watching gameday on my phone, or have an ipad with 1 CFB game while another one is on the TV or am out at a friends and cast/airplay to their TV

it's literally taking your satellite in your back pocket wherever you go.

oh yeah and if you have YTTV you have an unlimited DVR

I think the ability to rotate them is all that we as consumers have really gained. I can't imagine why anyone needs to subscribe to 5 of these services at once. Get one, binge what you want, then move on to the next.

What you miss out on is talking about the latest episode of WandaVision with Janice at the water cooler. But honestly fuck Janice, never liked her anyway.

32 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Agree this is a great feature with streaming services.

Unless it’s changed, with DirectTV and all the genies and five televisions the cost was $360 per month. If I only had one TV it might have made sense to stay with DirectTV. I save about $250 per month vs my old DirectTV bill.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Definitely good to get rid of all of those hardware charges. I’m pretty sure at some point I was paying DTV $50+ month just in rental fees. I want to say there were also a bunch of “taxes” that were above the basic sales tax that I was able to eliminate when cutting.

On 3/9/2021 at 9:01 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

This is a horrible take. Coax is worth running just for OTA even if you don’t want to use cable or satellite TV. I know you can push OTA through things like Tablo, but that device compresses your stream and requires your internet to be running to use it. You’d probably have to give up some money to a smart agent when you go to sell your house if you didn’t wire coax.  Coax is some of the cheapest LV cable per foot to run, you aren’t saving much by skipping it  

Wifi is a half duplex medium, so every device using wifi at the same time cuts your usable bandwidth.  4 devices means you’re only getting a quarter of the advertised speed (this is a simplistic example, the actual math is a little more complicated), which is normally impossible to achieve in a normal home anyway. Distance to your antenna, number of antennas, physical barriers, reflections, interference, all reduce your actual speed. The 5Ghz spectrum is the faster of the two, but it’s also the most susceptible to loss due to walls and physical distance.  You want everything possible to be on a wired connection and save your wifi for mobile devices only.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

This is a horrible take. Coax is worth running just for OTA even if you don’t want to use cable or satellite TV. I know you can push OTA through things like Tablo, but that device compresses your stream and requires your internet to be running to use it. You’d probably have to give up some money to a smart agent when you go to sell your house if you didn’t wire coax.  Coax is some of the cheapest LV cable per foot to run, you aren’t saving much by skipping it  

Wifi is a half duplex medium, so every device using wifi at the same time cuts your usable bandwidth.  4 devices means you’re only getting a quarter of the advertised speed (this is a simplistic example, the actual math is a little more complicated), which is normally impossible to achieve in a normal home anyway. Distance to your antenna, number of antennas, physical barriers, reflections, interference, all reduce your actual speed. The 5Ghz spectrum is the faster of the two, but it’s also the most susceptible to loss due to walls and physical distance.  You want everything possible to be on a wired connection and save your wifi for mobile devices only.

To each there own, my newer TVs don't even come with coax on them. I'm also certainly not going to wire for phones which is even cheaper per foot than coax.  Times are changing, coax is on its way out for good.

As for wifi, I promise it will never be the limiting factor regarding how many TVs I can stream at home. How many 4k streams does it handle now, like 40?  Way more than anyone needs.  My internet is going to be the limiting factor way before wifi ever will.  Well placed back-haul access points and never will be an issue.

A TV without a tuner is a monitor. Category wire replaced phone wire, and doorbell wire, and most other low voltage wires out of convenience, not cost. It’s easier to carry a box of cat around for all those things instead of stocking and hauling different stuff. I agree coax will eventually go out, but not anytime soon. You can get over a Gb over the medium still, which is as fast as short 5e or long 6.  

You aren’t streaming 40 4K movies over wifi concurrently, not uncompressed. HDMI 2.0b pushes 10Gbps, and that caps out at 4k60 4:2:0. Again, you can’t just look at advertised speeds and divide by the number of devices.  The only place you’ll get that bandwidth is having a single device a foot away from the antenna in a test chamber that eliminates any other sources of interference.  Distributed APs with wired backhauls are great (the same mentality should be applied to wired backhauls for all devices where it’s possible), but the money you’ll spend there to get pristine 5Ghz in every room will be orders of magnitude higher than running $7 of coax to every TV drop. Ideally you would run a coax, multiple category cables, and conduit to every drop to future proof the runs and make it user friendly to the next owner. It’s safer to cover all the bases IMO.

• Hook 'Em 2

I just jumped through too many hoops with Comcast to only realize that their "promotions" are shit.  I needed a home phone so was considering a Triple Play bundle - thought was that if I could get internet, phone, plus 200+ channels to stream live without a cable box through their X1 app, it would be as good or probably even cheaper than my current internet + ATT TV streaming app.  I was paying about $115/month for internet + HBO Max, and my ATT TV just upped their price of my legacy plan (Go Big package w/ over 200 channels) from $65 to $75.  So I was paying about $190 a month and thought Comcast could beat that - wrong.  With all the extra fees, the total came out to about $185 a month.

So I downgraded to just plain internet for $85/month (400mbs down) and will keep buying HBO Max a la carte (love the Batman the Animated Series, watching them each weekend with my boys and re-living my childhood).  

[b]I still have the $75/month ATT TV plan but I'm wondering - what's out there that is better or cheaper?  I primarily watch for the sports, , local networks (my OTA antenna only picks up CBS/NBC/Fox but not ABC and signal can be spotty), some cable news channels, HGTV, and whatever else my wife rarely watches.  [/b]

Of note, I also have the Hulu/Disney+/ESPN + bundle through Verizon, and I'm a Netflix and Amazon Prime member.

I believe that it's always better to wire devices that don't move. It may not be required and perhaps the wireless signal is just as good, but it's rarely better than the wired. Obviously wireless gives you the ability to move the device which is a strong feature.

Personally if I was building today, I would drop coax down the walls in which I'm fairly certain a TV will hang. Even if the coax is left behind the drywall. This would be in addition to HDMI and ethernet cables. Isn't the cost pennies on the dollar in terms of wiring later on?  There are also coax wall plates that are recessed so you don't have the ugly threaded connector sticking out.

Coax is dying? You also need to consider that OTA is shifting to ATSC 3.0 aka NextGen TV. This will bring 4K and other interactive features to OTA signals. What I don't know is what type of cabling is needed. The separate TV tuner  converts the coax signal from the antenna to HDMI. What I don't know is how this works for ATSC 3.0-ready TVs. I assume the TV will have a coax connection with the antenna. Unless there is an antenna that outputs HDMI. 

No to mention that a good OTA signal picture quality is ALWAYS better than the compressed crap you see via cable and streaming. OTA is also a key product in emergencies where the internet or cable go out but you still have power.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I just jumped through too many hoops with Comcast to only realize that their "promotions" are shit.  I needed a home phone so was considering a Triple Play bundle - thought was that if I could get internet, phone, plus 200+ channels to stream live without a cable box through their X1 app, it would be as good or probably even cheaper than my current internet + ATT TV streaming app.  I was paying about $115/month for internet + HBO Max, and my ATT TV just upped their price of my legacy plan (Go Big package w/ over 200 channels) from $65 to $75.  So I was paying about $190 a month and thought Comcast could beat that - wrong.  With all the extra fees, the total came out to about $185 a month.

So I downgraded to just plain internet for $85/month (400mbs down) and will keep buying HBO Max a la carte (love the Batman the Animated Series, watching them each weekend with my boys and re-living my childhood).  
I still have the $75/month ATT TV plan but I'm wondering - what's out there that is better or cheaper?  I primarily watch for the sports, , local networks (my OTA antenna only picks up CBS/NBC/Fox but not ABC and signal can be spotty), some cable news channels, HGTV, and whatever else my wife rarely watches. 

Of note, I also have the Hulu/Disney+/ESPN + bundle through Verizon, and I'm a Netflix and Amazon Prime member.

PM Rage. Only thing I don’t get is ABC and most of its sport events are also carried on ESPN

• 2 weeks later...

Well, T-Vision didn't last long.  It's closing up shop on April 29 and shifting to a Youtube TV discount model.  Current users get a couple of free months of YTTV.  T-Mobile customers are eligible for $10 off per month on YTTV beginning April 6.

On 3/6/2021 at 11:27 AM, Lurch said:

Not true in my case, but finding equilibrium eventually was always to be expected. Uncompetitive prices would have to be slashed, and on the other side no one was going to leave money on the table forever.

Well, of course, but one could have hoped that the equilibrium would have been established at a lower price point.

This reflects monopoly pricing power/concerted action by the established providers.

42 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Well, T-Vision didn't last long.  It's closing up shop on April 29 and shifting to a Youtube TV discount model.  Current users get a couple of free months of YTTV.  T-Mobile customers are eligible for $10 off per month on YTTV beginning April 6.

Yeah, in-laws had it for a bit.  Glitchy as hell, but they were using the dongles and I imagine there was some user error involved.  Also, they had the prior iteration that used a set top box and was less obviously an "internet" service.  That ended without warning, but they probably weren't paying attention to emails either.

Pretty much a shitshow all around.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, in-laws had it for a bit.  Glitchy as hell, but they were using the dongles and I imagine there was some user error involved.  Also, they had the prior iteration that used a set top box and was less obviously an "internet" service.  That ended without warning, but they probably weren't paying attention to emails either.

Pretty much a shitshow all around.

I kind of expected as much. 

• 3 weeks later...

Cross posting from the HBO Max thread...

I've tried the HBO Max app twice now, once when it first came out and once a week or so ago, and I've had to cancel it both times.  The functionality is just horrendous.  I don't get it.  I stream literally everything else in my house with zero problems.  I live in the city with the best internet available.  Just ran a speed test and I'm currently 332 over 99, which should be more than sufficient.  I run Netflix, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Sonos, etc with no problems whatsoever.  But that HBO Max app, for some reason, is just brutal.  Every time I click on anything, it takes 10 to 20 minutes to respond.  I've refreshed it, I've rebooted, I've uninstalled/reinstalled, you name it.  It just never works well enough to justify having.  Apparently nobody else has this problem?  Since you're all using it?  I have FireTV sticks on all TVs...is that the problem?

32 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Cross posting from the HBO Max thread...

I've tried the HBO Max app twice now, once when it first came out and once a week or so ago, and I've had to cancel it both times.  The functionality is just horrendous.  I don't get it.  I stream literally everything else in my house with zero problems.  I live in the city with the best internet available.  Just ran a speed test and I'm currently 332 over 99, which should be more than sufficient.  I run Netflix, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Sonos, etc with no problems whatsoever.  But that HBO Max app, for some reason, is just brutal.  Every time I click on anything, it takes 10 to 20 minutes to respond.  I've refreshed it, I've rebooted, I've uninstalled/reinstalled, you name it.  It just never works well enough to justify having.  Apparently nobody else has this problem?  Since you're all using it?  I have FireTV sticks on all TVs...is that the problem?

i have weird issues with it when i lose internet it gets super screwy and basically have to restart Google TV w/ Chromecast...doesn't take that long though?

do you have the same issue when trying to watch on phone or computer/tablet? if so at least you can link the issue to the Fire TV stick then vs your router/internet setup...

looks like if it is the FireTV stick you aren't the only one? https://old.reddit.com/r/HBOMAX/comments/k5ri1c/hbo_max_app_on_firestick_is_extremely_slow/

not going through all the results but maybe there is a fix here? https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=hbo+max+firetv+stick+reddit+slow+response\

Are there TV antennas that have a HDMI output? I searched on Amazon and the only ones I could find were Chinese knockoffs. I ask because a lot of the Austin FC games this year are going to be on the CW, which I can get OTA but not on YoutubeTV. I was also planning on watching some of the games outside on my projector, but my projector doesn't have a coax cable input.

21 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Are there TV antennas that have a HDMI output? I searched on Amazon and the only ones I could find were Chinese knockoffs. I ask because a lot of the Austin FC games this year are going to be on the CW, which I can get OTA but not on YoutubeTV. I was also planning on watching some of the games outside on my projector, but my projector doesn't have a coax cable input.

You can try an F connector to BNC adapter and pair it with a BNC to HDMI converter off Amazon.  Never tried this myself, but I think it's done for certain security cam configurations.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgK5GT4h4Nl5UVIXauz

71G4ovWkMwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by SizzleChest
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Your TV tuner should be able to extract HD from the OTA signal just going from the coax antenna in/output.

OTA is an analog signal carrying a digital component.  HDMI is all digital. I don't think you really want that conversion going on in a cheap antenna, when your TV tuner is made to do it.

Your projector lacks a TV tuner.  So to use your projector, buy an external TV tuner. https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Computers-Accessories-External-TV-Tuners/zgbs/pc/3015428011

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Your TV tuner should be able to extract HD from the OTA signal just going from the coax antenna in/output.

OTA is an analog signal carrying a digital component.  HDMI is all digital. I don't think you really want that conversion going on in a cheap antenna, when your TV tuner is made to do it.

Your projector lacks a TV tuner.  So to use your projector, buy an external TV tuner. https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Computers-Accessories-External-TV-Tuners/zgbs/pc/3015428011

Would something like this work: https://www.amazon.com/MyGica-Digital-Tuner-ATSC-Stick/dp/B083VZPNR7/ref=zg_bs_3015428011_13?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BF4C5FG2WVGADS7Z7P1D

I saw some tuners for $200 on there, but I really don't want to spend that much. My projector has a USB port so it looks like this would work.

11 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Would something like this work: https://www.amazon.com/MyGica-Digital-Tuner-ATSC-Stick/dp/B083VZPNR7/ref=zg_bs_3015428011_13?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BF4C5FG2WVGADS7Z7P1D

I saw some tuners for $200 on there, but I really don't want to spend that much. My projector has a USB port so it looks like this would work.

Don't buy that. You just need a converter box, which you can find on sale in the low $20 range. This one is pretty popular, does DVR, music, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HOMEWORX-HW130STB-Converter-Recording/dp/B01EW098XS/ref=zg_bs_979935011_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DZKWQAFHX1RDM7PE6S30

converter.jpg

Edited by rage-a-holic
  • Hook 'Em 1

So, I am getting a router today in the mail that I am going to load up with express vpn firmware.  It is going to be put behind my internet company router and will create a second wireless network at my house that I can set the server location at.  My main goal is to get around a certain sports league package to get around the local tv blackout.  I swapped last year to youtube tv and they don't carry the local channel.  Anyone doing this now and have any tips?  I'm pretty sure I can handle setting it up

2 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

So, I am getting a router today in the mail that I am going to load up with express vpn firmware.  It is going to be put behind my internet company router and will create a second wireless network at my house that I can set the server location at.  My main goal is to get around a certain sports league package to get around the local tv blackout.  I swapped last year to youtube tv and they don't carry the local channel.  Anyone doing this now and have any tips?  I'm pretty sure I can handle setting it up

Any concerns about it blocking anonymous proxies?  That's always been the roadblock for me when I've tried to manage around these types of issues.

18 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

All the streaming services are getting wiser and better at blocking all these. Search reddit and you will see people start losing access starting about a year ago and much more frequent now.  They have basically gone to point of over blocking and making some people have to call to get their IP white listed.

20 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

All the streaming services are getting wiser and better at blocking all these. Search reddit and you will see people start losing access starting about a year ago and much more frequent now.  They have basically gone to point of over blocking and making some people have to call to get their IP white listed.

Wasn't much of a headache to flash the firmware, and got it up and running in time to watch the Rangers game last night on MLBtv.  I can't access the router through the ISP router yet, but I will mess with it some more tonight.  I am going to try and hop on the BBC at some point.  I don't think I am going to mess with trying to Netflix from Sudan or anything like that.

Edited by Dr Fear

21 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I find that I have to turn off VPN to stream content on my ipad.

2 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Has anyone figured out how to get LHN?

I have Prime, Netflix, YTTV, Disney/Hulu/ESPN... and can't get LHN that I'm aware of.

I am able to get it by logging into the espn app [log in to tv provider, not the espn plus login] with a uverse login.

23 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

I am able to get it by logging into the espn app [log in to tv provider, not the espn plus login] with a uverse login.

I no longer have U-verse TV (but do have uverse)... so, I guess I have to find someone who is and see if they'll set me up.