Cord Cutters Thread

39 minutes ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Switched to Google Fiber almost two years ago.  Today I cut all the Time Warner coax off the outside of my house.  Fuck Them!

If you're in Austin (in a GFiber service area), you can get 400mb Spectrum service for $29.99/month, total. Paying less than $30 a month for 400mb backup service to my Google Fiber is a no brainer for me.

20 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

$30/mo for 400M? Fuckin nice. I’m on their 500M and it’s $90 here. 😕

Yep, pretty sure they only offer it where GFiber is available. It was $29.99 for the last 2 years, I noticed they tried to bump it to $50 last month.

Called a Level 1 rep who told me "Sorry, we don't have any other deals, that's the new price"

I said nope, transfer me to customer retention. 5 minutes later and the price was back at $29.99.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 3:17 PM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Jealousy GIF by The Roku Channel

Live in a place that will never get fiber....

see that's what i thought but my smaller town has a ton of frontier fiber going in right now, including in front of my house.

Edited by NoName

MLB.tv free for the season via T-Mobile is available in the T-Mo Tuesday app now [mention=1398]Vic_Mackey[/mention].

It's only through the season, so heads up next year... No preseason ball.

Annual reminder that you can get around local blackouts with a VPN for you computer or a VPN on a router for tv app.

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, mdmost said:

This would be a nice first step but I bet the price will be in the $20-$30 range.

That’s interesting, but probably not. $20-$30 worth of interesting except during college football season. 

I wonder if that will end up getting it pulled out of YTTV or the like or if they’re just targeting people who don’t even want something like YTTV.

• 2 weeks later...

Cross posted from the French Open thread.  

PSA:  YoutubeTV added Tennis Channel and T2 today.  You need to go to the YTTV website to add to your live guide.  It wasn't up yet when I checked a minute ago, but it should happen sometime today.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Well, crap.  Tennis Channel is in the 10.99 per month sports add on pack, which, naturally, wasn't in the press release.  Stuck watching Nadal and Federer  on T2.  Doesn't suck, but . . .

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, dcbc said:

Cross posted from the French Open thread.  

PSA:  YoutubeTV added Tennis Channel and T2 today.  You need to go to the YTTV website to add to your live guide.  It wasn't up yet when I checked a minute ago, but it should happen sometime today.

tumblr_mx9bd74VjR1t4rh1wo2_250.gifv

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

It really comes down to what you actually watch. 

I have YTTV right now, and it’s fine. No RSN’s though.

Hulu also has RSN’s, I think. I’ve been considering switching, since I have the rest of their bundle. The entire bundle is about what YTTV is on it’s own.

As far as pic/service quality, yttv has been good.

I think I first gave fubo a shot for LHN, but that’s moot a year from now. At the time it did seem a little odd working through their website. Didn’t have the polish to it that the big names have. May have changed since last fall though. 

Didn’t have a problem with it though, that I recall. 

13 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

It really comes down to what you actually watch. 

I have YTTV right now, and it’s fine. No RSN’s though.

Hulu also has RSN’s, I think. I’ve been considering switching, since I have the rest of their bundle. The entire bundle is about what YTTV is on it’s own.

As far as pic/service quality, yttv has been good.

I think I first gave fubo a shot for LHN, but that’s moot a year from now. At the time it did seem a little odd working through their website. Didn’t have the polish to it that the big names have. May have changed since last fall though. 

Didn’t have a problem with it though, that I recall. 

Yeah I had DirectTV Stream but that stuff got way too expensive so I canceled it about 2 months ago. But with football season coming up I am in the market for a new streaming service. 

I like the Fubo Pro for $75 + the Sports Plus w/ NFL Redzone for $11 more a month. image.thumb.png.bedf8b3188757570bf6ac2b941659f86.png

It seems like I can get a lot more sports options at $86 vs YTTV for $73. The YTTV extra sports package is no where close to as good as the above IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

While true, it really comes down to what you actually watch. 

I’ve found I watch a lot less variety than I thought I did, in terms of actual channels. 

I don’t recall missing a game with YTTV that I wanted to see. Without the extra sports pack even. LHN aside, but the free trial covered that at the beginning of the season. 

But what you key on and what I do are most likely different.

For me, YTTV is missing the History channel, and that’s starting to become a deal breaker. Hulu on the other hand is missing AMC, but I haven’t really cared about that since Rick and them got hustled out of the prison and did half a season of walking train tracks. I can stream any movie they show, and without commercials. 

For anyone with Paramount+, as of yesterday (6/27) it now includes showtime. Price goes from $9.99 to $11.99.

I was just thinking about cancelling P+ this morning, as I really don't watch it much, and figure I can wait for a season of something I'd like to watch to finish, and then binge it in a month.

Showtime for $2 more isn't terrible. Sounds like they're trying to compete with Discovery/HBO. That's ok I guess.

43 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

For anyone with Paramount+, as of yesterday (6/27) it now includes showtime. Price goes from $9.99 to $11.99.

I was just thinking about cancelling P+ this morning, as I really don't watch it much, and figure I can wait for a season of something I'd like to watch to finish, and then binge it in a month.

Showtime for $2 more isn't terrible. Sounds like they're trying to compete with Discovery/HBO. That's ok I guess.

A while back, Apple offered Paramount+ and Showtime as a bundle for $9.99. My subscription is still showing that price. I hope it doesn’t go up for something I already have. 

24 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

If it were, you would have received an email about it. 

I just had para+, and the email I was sent stated next renewal (in about 3 weeks or so) would be at the new 11.99.

I can live with that. Showtime has some oddball stuff, but they also have some really good content too.

Same, I can live with $2 for an additional streamer. Showtime has movies. I like movies 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 3:02 PM, thunderlounge said:

If it were, you would have received an email about it. 

I just had para+, and the email I was sent stated next renewal (in about 3 weeks or so) would be at the new 11.99.

I can live with that. Showtime has some oddball stuff, but they also have some really good content too.

The email just arrived. It went up for something I already had, as I suspected it would. 

I recently came to the conclusion that I'm not a "live tv" person, and that includes most sports.  Commercials annoy the ever living fuck out of me to the point that I would rather pay to avoid them.  As a result, I made the decision to dump YTTV.  Everything I was recording to be able to fast forward through the ads I can stream via other services. 

I'm currently doing month-to-month with different streaming services, using a rotating and binging approach.  I can only watch so much TV, so annual subscriptions are a money loser for my method, with the exception of Amazon Prime.  I can pretty much watch everything I was watching on YTTV that I cared about plus a lot of other stuff I didn't previously have, and saving $ on top of it.  It takes a little while to adapt from "let's see what is on" to "what do I want to watch," but I'm getting the hang of it.  

19 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

How’s that gonna work for football?

The older I get, the more tranquil my life has become when I know Texas has fucked away big leads in Lubbock, Stillwater, or Dallas and I can chose to watch how that shitshow unfolded with that knowledge in hand. It’s somewhat related to how it has always been very, very hard for me to watch Texas baseball live because, damn, baseball is way more fickle than football. 

That said, since Texas is done fucking away big leads, that point is moot for the Horns. For other football games, I like commercials to some extent because I can flip around to other games. 

I'm thinking about getting a VPN or SmartDNS so I can watch MLB.TV. Would apply it at the router level. My question is, will this fuck up my Netflix (and/or other streaming services)? I read that Netflix is cracking down on geolocation because of password sharing.

I'm thinking about getting a VPN or SmartDNS so I can watch MLB.TV. Would apply it at the router level. My question is, will this fuck up my Netflix (and/or other streaming services)? I read that Netflix is cracking down on geolocation because of password sharing.
I'm telling you, the way to do this is to have a second router with VPN and you switch the network on your TV when you fire up MLB.

25 minutes ago, tokamak said:

20 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

I'm telling you, the way to do this is to have a second router with VPN and you switch the network on your TV when you fire up MLB.

talk to me about how to do it at the router level? or link me?

would honestly be easier to just have a second (cheap) device - just get the Onn Chromecast with Google TV and call it a day for $20.

basically everyone has an extra HDMI on the back of their TV. this way you don't impact any other streaming sources/things and you can roll with a single use device for that and whatever else you want.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Google-TV-4K-Streaming-Box-New-2023-4K-UHD-resolution/2835618394

48 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

I think I could get that working, but I can hear my wife yelling at me that "the TV isn't working" already.

26 minutes ago, NoName said:

talk to me about how to do it at the router level? or link me?

would honestly be easier to just have a second (cheap) device - just get the Onn Chromecast with Google TV and call it a day for $20.

basically everyone has an extra HDMI on the back of their TV. this way you don't impact any other streaming sources/things and you can roll with a single use device for that and whatever else you want.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Google-TV-4K-Streaming-Box-New-2023-4K-UHD-resolution/2835618394

I hadn't thought of this. Just so I understand you - forget about doing it at the router level, get a cheap Roku/Chromecast/whatever, and set the VPN/DNS at the device level and just switch the TV input? That seems pretty reasonable. I think I have an old Fire TV sitting around somewhere.

29 minutes ago, tokamak said:

1) I think I could get that working, but I can hear my wife yelling at me that "the TV isn't working" already.

2) I hadn't thought of this. Just so I understand you - forget about doing it at the router level, get a cheap Roku/Chromecast/whatever, and set the VPN/DNS at the device level and just switch the TV input? That seems pretty reasonable. I think I have an old Fire TV sitting around somewhere.

1) new router set up with nobody else knowing the password for it. make it so it can't happen and give it weird name so no one else will join

2) i was saying to get the router, set it up new and VPN at that level, then get a cheap streaming device and have that be the only device that connects to it. if you can do it at the device level and ignore the router than do that. i HIGHLY recommend getting a new device vs something old once you get this nailed down. nothing is worse than your streaming device/stick bogging down because it is a trillion years old. i've just purchased that onn device above for more than a few people vs them trying to figure things out and make their old system work

7 hours ago, tbone_ said:

How’s that gonna work for football?

I don't watch much live football these days, and no longer living in Texas makes it a challenge to watch the Horns anyway, even with YTTV.  I make do with live updates from the internet, Surly game threads, and highlights are always available after the fact.  It's not ideal, and for those who have to see all the action as it unfolds, it's a non-starter. 

If I'm in the mood to watch some football, there will be games through other streaming options, often ones I would not have been able to watch before making the change. 

For me, it works fine.  Of course, it's the middle of summer.  Get back to me in the fall.    

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

Bump.  Moving and cutting the cord.  Directv stream or yttv?  Looks like no LHN with YTTV but, as someone mentioned, that goes away after this year.  Fan of NFL access, specifically for the Saints, so that seems like YTTV is the way to go.  Any other recs?

YTTV... if nothing else everything else is compared to them. Once you cut the cord, feel free to try a few or switch in a month or two... no more contracts

• Hook 'Em 3

You can always do a “free trial” with something that does have LHN as well. I used one last season, and it worked. I think it was VidGo. Never really used their app, just used it to log into ESPN and stream LHN that way. Games were close enough together that the trial covered it.

Not sure how far apart the games will be this season, but will do the same. If they’re far enough apart, I’ll use the wife for the second trial.

For main streaming providers YTTV does seem to be what other services try to be. The 4k pack isn’t worth it, unless you need the extra streams. If not, the 4k content available isn’t close to worth paying the extra.

I’m tempted to swap over to Hulu. They have History and YTTV doesn’t right now. Flip that and YTTV has AMC, Hulu doesn’t.

Already have the rest of their bundle, and adding the TV portion would save a little.

However I can say this regarding football and cord cutting: I haven’t missed a game I wanted to watch. The LHN dance is always fun, but that’s been an annual thing for over a decade.

Baseball is the kicker. YTTV doesn’t have the RSN’s.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

it's football time, so I'm pulling up all the info to figure out which streaming service is going to let me watch the most games the cheapest, with a requirement for NFL Redzone. About to start digging in, bumping the thread for any related discussion that may be useful.

any streaming platform + NFL Plus (for $15/month) which you can now watch on TV

https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/10/23826452/nfl-plus-redzone-scott-hanson-price-increase

edit: oh, its just like $11/month for sports+ which includes RedZone., thanks for that info @Anton Chigurh!

https://support.google.com/youtubetv/answer/10057534?hl=en

Edited by NoName