perfect bid: the contestant who knew too much

henrygandorf

8 hours ago, DCA_HORN said:

I might give it a shot. Is this the same dude who memorized the whammy pattern on press your luck?

nothing to do with press your luck- but same general concept,  TPIR kept re-using the same products & they had the same price everytime.    Example was the first thing he won, which was the Big Green Egg. That had been on the show numerous times in the year or 2 before the show, and it was always the same price.   He knew exactly how much it was so, when it came out on the showcase, he bid the exact price, and got the perfect price bonus.    So this guy basically memorized the entire TPIR price list.

I know someone on Shaggy posted the actual video footage of that episode.   Drew Carey was so convinced the guy was cheating, that he gave zero effort to conceal his contempt-  especially the last bid in the showcase showdown.

23 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Wait, are you sure those aren't two different people?  I thought the Drew Carey guy simply guessed the last showcase showdown correctly?

No, I think it's the same guy. Here's a radio interview he did. But it is odd because his name is Terry on the show but Theodore in the trailer. But sure as hell looks like the same guy-

• Like 1

so,  while attempting to look up the episode in question, I came accross this  "top 10"  TPIR  video,  which interestingly enough, if you start around the 19:30 mark and watch the #2 best moment,  its a North Carolina good ole boy who flat out TELLS  Bob Barker that he knows exactly what the price of the scooter is "because he saw it on the show last week"     and  (no) SUPRIRSE! he nailed it and got the perfect bid bonus.

So the takeaway that TPIR should have taken from that episode after it aired (which is obviously from before the Drew Carey one since BB is the host), is that uber-loyal viewers of the show had noticed the show kept re-using the same products with the same prices, LONG before Terry took them to the cleaners.

But instead, TPIR treated him like a cheater, and refused to payout the prizes for a really long time.

TPIR clearly had warnings that re-using the same products could result in a situation where a loyal fan could run the table, but they chose to ignore it until it happened- and then they blamed the FAN!

again skip to 19:30 to see the NC guy win by telling BB he saw its price last week.

7 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

nothing to do with press your luck- but same general concept,  TPIR kept re-using the same products & they had the same price everytime.    Example was the first thing he won, which was the Big Green Egg. That had been on the show numerous times in the year or 2 before the show, and it was always the same price.   He knew exactly how much it was so, when it came out on the showcase, he bid the exact price, and got the perfect price bonus.    So this guy basically memorized the entire TPIR price list.

I know someone on Shaggy posted the actual video footage of that episode.   Drew Carey was so convinced the guy was cheating, that he gave zero effort to conceal his contempt-  especially the last bid in the showcase showdown.

yeah i remember watching that. carey was salty as fuck.

Lazlo: No. These are entries into the Frito-Lay Sweepstakes. "No purchase necessary, enter as often as you want" - so I am.
Chris: That's great! How many times?
Lazlo: Well, this batch makes it one million six hundred and fifty thousand. I should win thirty-two point six percent of the prizes, including the car.
Chris: That kind of takes the fun out of it, doesn't it?
Lazlo: They set up the rules, and lately I've come to realize that I have certain materialistic needs.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, BNB said:

looks good.  I loved game shows as a kid.  I read about the Press Your Luck scandal a few years back.  

Anyone want to bid on this guy's age?  Closest without going over

Buzz.  I'm sorry.  You all overbid.  He was 35 years old here.  Good lord man. Take care of yourself.

36 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Lazlo: No. These are entries into the Frito-Lay Sweepstakes. "No purchase necessary, enter as often as you want" - so I am.
Chris: That's great! How many times?
Lazlo: Well, this batch makes it one million six hundred and fifty thousand. I should win thirty-two point six percent of the prizes, including the car.
Chris: That kind of takes the fun out of it, doesn't it?
Lazlo: They set up the rules, and lately I've come to realize that I have certain materialistic needs.

are these they?