Pink Floyd

Shoxthemonkey

I heard that.  The Wall at Staples Center a few years back was probably the best concert I've ever been to.

The comment that he's open to a Floyd reunion is meaningless.  Gilmour isn't likely to ever consider it.

I was there and it was epic...saw it again at FEC just to take that ride all over again.

Always been a big Floyd head. The Wall was one of my least favorites until I listened to it on DXM before I got into psychedelics...a dissociative anesthetic was the perfect drug to meld with the message of a self-protecting barrier erected at the expense of going mad internally.

Of course the choreography of building the wall itself was impressive but whoever had the idea of the hotel room and CN solo on top of it took it to the next level.

However, for me, the most iconic element was how the light show and Mr Screen continues on despite being obscured by the wall during the show. It reminded me of my time in India visiting Hindu temples where the physical model/representation of the god worshipped there is out of reach in a protected space...it lends a mysterious element of self induced obfuscation from salvation that lines up well with the albums overall message.

Of course once you fully understand that period of Waters personal and professional life that led to the crafting of The Wall it all makes sense.

That said I still will take DSOTM as #1 due to the sublime combination of Gilmour/Wright’s musicianship with Waters lyrics all produced by peak Alan Parsons. I know WYWH is probably a fan favorite but it’s a tight #2 to me.
  • Like 1

One of the best, never talked about songs that David has ever put out there imo.  The solo pulls your guts out and rearranges them.  The tone, the feeling, the bends, all of it.  Love the end where the band member catch eyes, smile, and give that look like, "Yeah, we go that one.".  So good to see a bunch of guys up there, tighter than a mouse's ear, just bathing in the joy of the moment and sound...

Edited by Cajun

David Gilmour is most certainly top 5 musicians on earth.  His joining of PF is what transformed them into what they became.  Syd leaving had to happen. And at the end of the day, as remarkable as Waters is, Gilmour was better.

The band worked best when Waters was crafting lyrics and shaping concepts, with Gilmour/Wright wrapping it in listenable music. Too far one way (The Final Cut) or the other (Momentary Lapse) and the magic wasn’t the same.

As the saying goes, Waters made you think and Gilmour made you want to listen.

I do like Momentary Lapse quite a bit, with One Slip reasonably clever on infidelity, Learning to Fly an aural treat and Sorrow a live staple...but it’s not the same.
  • Like 1

Ahem.  Ran across this on a FB Floyd page just a few minutes ago.  Hope it isn't bullshit...

Yep, folks, you read that right. David Gilmour has officially revealed that he is going to be heading back into the studio. His most recent solo album, Rattle That Lock, apparently has tons more unreleased music that David plans to feature on this next LP.

“I feel very uncomfortable heading off out and doing another tour without having made new music. There are several songs which are close to being complete, which didn’t make it onto this album. I can’t see myself doing another tour without making another album first. That takes me a while. It took 10 years last time. I’m really hoping that, without making any promises, it won’t take ten years this time, that I will get back in and start working again. Following that, yeah, I’ll be out again.”

It’s simply goes without saying that we as fans should get very, VERY excited about anything that David Gilmour plans to release. The man cranks out great music like Willy Wonka cranks out chocolate. Needless to say, whenever David Gilmour releases this new album, it’s gonna be a good year!

https://societyofrock.com/confirmed-new-david-gilmour-music-is-coming/?fbclid=IwAR3OEbkN839LS4m_rdv4kXEI7oZ-Y1Uja72weRRlJVaE38NOlksNTPohLGU

Gilmour hinting at another tour gives me a chubb

/no homo

Well, maybe just a tich

Edited by Cajun

Watch Tom Herman's reaction to the solo.

That may be my favorite song on WYWH...always loved when they straight up jammed, the lyrics fit my experience up unbridled greed and the empty handshakes in business, and the fact that Roy Harper sung it over a dispute in the band actually fits the song perfectly.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Homercles said:

That may be my favorite song on WYWH...always loved when they straight up jammed, the lyrics fit my experience up unbridled greed and the empty handshakes in business, and the fact that Roy Harper sung it over a dispute in the band actually fits the song perfectly.

This is a really long but interesting read about the making of WYWH.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/how-wish-you-were-here-was-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-pink-floyd

• Like 1

On 1/22/2019 at 6:34 PM, Cajun said:

Ahem.  Ran across this on a FB Floyd page just a few minutes ago.  Hope it isn't bullshit...

https://societyofrock.com/confirmed-new-david-gilmour-music-is-coming/?fbclid=IwAR3OEbkN839LS4m_rdv4kXEI7oZ-Y1Uja72weRRlJVaE38NOlksNTPohLGU

Gilmour hinting at another tour gives me a chubb

/no homo

Well, maybe just a tich

Sadly, just a click bait article, quote is from 2017 article...

LINK

Coming out of David Gilmour at Madison Square Garden for the RTL tour.  Took this pic of my gf and her daughter.  The kid was weeping after the show.  I'd only introduced her to PF about a year prior.  At that time her favorite bands were The Arctic Monkeys, Katy Perry, and Beiber.

Just one of those moments that I'll always remember...

12967393_10154019511222348_2618144525785

• Like 4

My kids were raised on PF so I can't point to an awakening moment. Wish that I could. I did get a moment  when leaving Pink Floyd at Arrowhead during the Pulse tour when my teenage son thanked me for taking him along. Probably the first thank you from him in 4 or 5 years. That's a cool picture Cajun.

• Like 1

Get your checkbooks out...

This summer, David Gilmour will be auctioning more than 120 of his guitars, including many of his signature instruments. The most notable instrument in the lot is the Black Strat, the 1969 Fender that Gilmour bought at Manny’s in New York City and used to record everything from Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon to his recent solo recordings and touring, including his jaw-dropping performance in Pompeii. It’s expected to go for between $100,000 and $150,000. The instrument, with the many modifications Gilmour made to it, is so legendary that there’s a book devoted to it.

Other notable instruments in what Christie’s has dubbed “The David Gilmour Guitar Collection” include a white Stratocaster, circa 1954, with the serial number #0001 (played on “Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)”) and a 1958 Gretsch Penguin. Both are expected to go for between $100,000 and $150,000. He’s also auctioning the red 1984 Strat he played during Eighties and Nineties ($15,000 – $25,000), a 1969 Martin D-35 ($10,000 – $20,000) and a 1955 goldtop Les Paul ($30,000 – $50,000). There are also a number of less famous guitars going to auction with estimates for as little as $300.

Rolling Stone article

This is a really long but interesting read about the making of WYWH.
https://www.loudersound.com/features/how-wish-you-were-here-was-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-pink-floyd

That was a good read. I’d read Saucerful enough times that most of the stories weren’t all new to me but always good to remember just how stressful and fragmented that album was.

I think it was that Classic Albums documentary where someone (think it was rick) who said ”That album should have been called ‘Wish We Were Here’ because we weren’t”.

Dark Side of the Moon or Wish you were here. 

Second 1 to the last second uninterrupted. 

The two best albums ever to go wire to wire with, and not only were they by the same band but created back to back. Dark side is my favorite cranked in the car on a dark night going down the highway and wish is my favorite on the couch on a dark night cranked up.  

1973 to 1976 Pink Floyd is music's equivalent to 1905 to 1908 Einstein. 

I’ll never forget the first time I heard DSoTM in its entirety...my mom had played Time for me once in the car thinking I’d liked the drums, was intrigued and threw the tape into my backpack. Later on we were flying from Incirlik AB in Turkey to Ramstein in Germany for Christmas, I had a window seat on a chartered 727 and was watching the Austrian countryside glide by silently below when Great Gig in the Sky came on...was hooked.

Later in college it was on repeat when we got high, so I decided to buy WYWH and listened to it all the way through while stoned out of my gourd in the shitty Eagles Nest apartments in Stillwater. I remember feeling a little disappointed in that it wasn’t Dark Side part 2, but it grew on me rapidly...I think the hard transition from melodic Shine On to Welcome To The Machine was a bit of a shock at the time.

Since I’m already raving and drooling here, anyone else burn up their VHS copies of Pulse? Holy crap my friend and I watched it so many times that the colors bled together and I had to seek out a video cd copy as it was a constant background when intoxication was the plan for the day. I can’t listen to Sorrow without thinking of Gilmour ‘bending’ the lasers with his guitar play.

On 1/23/2019 at 5:41 PM, Cajun said:

Speaking of influences, I've always been fascinated by the whole Beatles/Floyd/Abbey Road convergence.  Bumping around reading different articles and such I ran across this.  Pretty cool...

It's like the cameraman has no idea who is playing lead guitar.  Even on the solo he doesn't get a lot of screen time.

On 1/30/2019 at 11:46 PM, Junior Miller said:

Dark Side of the Moon or Wish you were here. 

Second 1 to the last second uninterrupted. 

The two best albums ever to go wire to wire with, and not only were they by the same band but created back to back. Dark side is my favorite cranked in the car on a dark night going down the highway and wish is my favorite on the couch on a dark night cranked up.  

1973 to 1976 Pink Floyd is music's equivalent to 1905 to 1908 Einstein. 

Yep. Their next two best albums right after The Wall.

(am I going to be burned at the stake now?)

As noted above I saw Floyd in concert in the 70s, 80s and 90s and Waters in the 00s and 10s.

Favorite band, hands down.

That said, I'll take the Meddle to The Wall run as the best in history. They had some great songs post Waters but the albums weren't as strong front to back.

But those five?

Just wow.

Edited by DoobieWah

2 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

For me, (and as noted above I saw Floyd inn  concert in the 70s, 80s and 90s and Waters in the 00s and 10s.

Favorite band, hands down.

That said, I'll take the Meddle to The Wall run as the best in history. They had some great songs post Waters but the albums weren't as strong front to back.

But those five?

Just wow.

Six actually, if you include Obscured by Clouds. 

But on your comment - totally agree. I've never been big on Animals but the rest are fantastic. 

Meddle gets overlooked. "Fearless" is one of the best songs they ever penned imo. The riffs are beyond infectious. It's like if Zeppelin took a break from blowing out eardrums and singing about fairies and shit.

Re: Wall vs Dark Side, I feel like there are The Wall people and there are Dark Side people. And they will never see eye to eye. But put me in the former camp.

Can’t talk about Meddle without Live at Pompeii. Waters looks absolutely fried on his little statement on “It's like, you give a man a Les Paul guitar and he becomes Eric Clapton, and of course that's not true. And if you give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, he doesn't become, you know, whoever; he doesn't become us.”

Watching him fuck around in the infant stages of On The Run with that synth is incredible.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else a big fan of Any Colour You Like? I feel like it pays a little homage to the extended jams they were known for at the time...but I also marvel at the bass work, some of Waters finest with a walking taste of funk that I just love.

But mostly came here to post this, could never quite picture how Rick played the synth for the solo but this guy does a pretty damn good job.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's the bonus disc from the immersion set that came out a few years ago.  Interesting.

Yep I’d read that’s where it came from. Alan Parsons just did an incredible job, from a documentary I remember him saying “it was the first proper engineering job I got on with” even though prior he’d worked on a few minor albums nobody had heard of like Let It Be.

I just imagine him in the hallway at abbey road with a mic as someone ran up and down the hallway so he could get the footsteps recorded.

Somewhere I have the mp3 of a very early version of Dark Side live...I kinda like the On The Run extended jam but Great Gig was very meh without Clare (whom Parsons brought in) and the girls...the magic there definitely came in the studio.