Pink Floyd

Shoxthemonkey

So, I was reading on Yeeshkul about some after-show gigs that Dave and some of the other touring members of the 87-88 Floyd did as a group called The Fishermen.  Supposedly they jammed in 1988 in Australia with one of Dave's heroes and main influences, Roy Buchanan.  I've heard the name before, but never bothered to check any of his stuff out.  Based on the recommendation of someone on that thread, I went to youtube.  Wow, I am now a fan.  Gonna go see what all is on Spotify, but this one here has a definite Floyd feel to it, and recorded basically the same time as Animals.  I can surely hear some Dave-souding licks in here.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2019 at 8:48 AM, Homercles said:

Can’t talk about Meddle without Live at Pompeii. Waters looks absolutely fried on his little statement on “It's like, you give a man a Les Paul guitar and he becomes Eric Clapton, and of course that's not true. And if you give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, he doesn't become, you know, whoever; he doesn't become us.”

Watching him fuck around in the infant stages of On The Run with that synth is incredible.

I’m not familiar with the Rodgers quote, but yeah, it that sounds like the type of self-indulgent shit he would spit out. In the same way that during his constant struggles with David in or through the media, he would conveniently fail to remember that Nick and Richard were also in the band. 

I’m not familiar with the Rodgers quote, but yeah, it that sounds like the type of self-indulgent shit he would spit out. In the same way that during his constant struggles with David in or through the media, he would conveniently fail to remember that Nick and Richard were also in the band. 

Waters is an absolute narcissist in many regards, but I believe in this instance both him and Gilmour were discussing the (very new) synths, probably responding to general criticism by some who didn’t really consider them instruments...at least that’s what I took away from it given the footage I referenced where they’re making On The Run at Abbey Road:

I know producer credits for Mason and Wright became a thing of the past as albums after DSOTM came out...I’m sure a chunk of that is Waters ego, especially as it relates to destroying Wright’s self esteem, but from what I’ve read Mason really struggled with drums in some places on WYWH and everyone was frustrated with the inability for Wright to contribute to The Wall...so in essence the later albums became just a Gilmour/Waters show, and eventually Waters solo albums.

Which is why I think I became such a fan of Floyd...the albums were always about something Roger/they were going through (adulthood, the record industry, fat cat government and its excessive taxation, alienation from fans, and whatever The Final Cut was), the music made the message accessible, and I have personal experiences tied to each time I heard an album for the first time.

Sorry to longcat random PF thoughts.

BTW, the movie was originally released in 1972, without the in-studio footage.  Once DSOTM became huge, they re-released the film, but the director wanted to capitalize on the hit record, so the band went into the studio and re-created themselves recording DSOTM, all that footage was shot after the album had already been released.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
He's doing a show at the Wiltern.  Could be interesting.

I do like that someone is resurrecting their pre-DSOTM stuff even though I’m not a huge fan of what Dave called ‘psychedelic noodling stuff’. When you know the story of the band those albums provide a clear roadmap to the album they were destined to make in Dark Side.
  • Like 1

It took me forever to get around to really enjoying the "noodling stuff", but now I'm fascinated with it.  I was going to post this a while back, this is the first ever recording of "Interstellar Overdrive", recorded on 10/31/66.  It was never released (until 2017 as a Record Store Day exclusive) but was given to a friend of theirs, a film maker named Anthony Stern by their manager, to do with it as he pleased.  Stern had said he wanted to make a film equivalent to the Floyd's live shows, or how he personally experienced their music back in the early days.  First up is the studio track, this is straight up punk, recorded just a few months after Revolver came out and before Sgt. Pepper, the very dawn of psychadelic rock, they really had no influences for this kind of stuff, definitely ground-breaking:

And this is the film Anthony Stern made using the audio as a soundtrack, despite people saying the track had never been heard before, it's been on youtube for years, people just never put 2 and 2 together... don't watch this if you're prone to seizures!

So, Aubrey Powell (of Hipgnosis) revealed that he's working on artwork for Pink Floyd "The Later Years" box set.  Unfortnuately, it's been confirmed it will be all post-Waters material only.  Fortunately, we should get a high-res version of Delicate Sound of Thunder and Rachel Fury shakin' dat ass (enhance, enhance...) 

Edited by UTCzech III

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 2:50 PM, Wyatt Mann said:

Ok folks, which is your favorite Pink Floyd song that is NOT a radio hit?

The change at the 3 minute mark of Don't Leave Me Now is one of the powerfully emotional moments in music for me, full stop. Never fails to make all my hair stand up and catch my breath. The keyboard swell, a perfectly simple drum fill, that one searing feedbacking note from Gilmour, and Waters' lament. Breaks me in half every time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not really sorry.

Probably my favorite Floyd album, for a lot of personal reasons, the biggest being my best friend, who I discovered this album with, passed away way too young. "Wish You Were Here" has a lot of meaning to me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 12:28 AM, Radical Larry said:

Early, unreleased version. The solo at the end is different, and I prefer the original version, but this is still damn good.

The non pedal steel version.  I can dig it, but that slide sound on the later version gets it done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...