Pink Floyd

Shoxthemonkey

This looks pretty cool as well..

"Just given an airing at the Rodeo Screening Room in Los Angeles, California, on August 24th as part of the Telluride Film Festival, is a new documentary from celebrated photographer, creative director and filmmaker Anton Corbijn. Squaring The Circle: The Story Of Hipgnosis, which is 101 minutes long, tells the story of Storm Thorgerson and Aubrey 'Po' Powell, the creative geniuses behind the iconic album art design studio, Hipgnosis, responsible for some of the most recognisable album covers of all time. They formed Hipgnosis in Cambridge during the ferment of the sixties and became rock royalty during the boom time of the seventies. They conjured into existence sights that no one had previously thought possible, produced visuals which popularised music that had previously been considered fringe, and were at the white-hot centre of the maddest, funniest and most creative era in the history of popular music.

During this period, record companies didn’t dictate to acts like Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Paul McCartney what their LP covers should look like - Storm and Po did. They made money; they lost money. They did great things; they did silly things. They fell out bitterly; they made up. They never played a note, but they changed music. The film features brand new interviews with Roger Waters, David Gilmour & Nick Mason of Pink Floyd, Jimmy Page & Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin, Paul McCartney, Peter Gabriel, Graham Gouldman of 10cc, Noel Gallagher, and many more.

As yet we don't have details of any upcoming screenings, or streaming possibilities, although we suspect such information will be available soon. In the meantime, here's a quick look at part of the documentary, with Storm, Po, David, Roger and Nick all talking about the cover to Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother:"

On 10/14/2022 at 8:39 AM, Shoxthemonkey said:

I'm headed to Austin in the morning to see the show Tuesday. Thanks for posting that @Cajun

YOU, my friend, are in for a great night.  I'm seriously considering throwing down whatever cash it takes to make this show.

It was that good.

• Like 1

it was good and they all seemed to be having a lot of fun playing those songs. nick even got a few barbs in on roger, "there will be no more political talk so no need for anyone to go to the bar" ha. he seemed genuinely happy that there is an audience for the early pf music.  i will say, compared to seeing waters or gilmour this felt more like seeing a pink floyd cover band. thought the band was at their best when playing the longer instrumental songs...set the controls, saucerful of secrets, atom heart mother, echoes. i love childhood's end and fearless but i felt like those songs just didn't have the same punch as the pf versions...but i did love that they played so much from obscured by clouds. the vocals, imo, left a lot to be desired...i just didn't really care for either of the guys who were singing. felt like the crowd would have had more energy in a different venue...i despise seeing rock concerts at bass. glad i went and it was enjoyable as a one off, but not sure i would go again unless tickets were a lot cheaper. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I thought the vocals at this show I saw in Grand Prairie blew away anything from the Waters’ effort, but that was a really nice venue.

To each his own.

And, yeah, the dig at Mr. Politico was very well done.

the changes to the phrasing of the lyrics killed me. that thing he did in fearless...you say the hill's too steep to cli-eee-imb. you say you'd like to se me try-eee-i. not into it. 

Anyway, that remaster of Animals is excellent. That record has some absolute jams on it.
The 2018 Remix LP is fantastic (Animals has never sounded better imo) but the 5.1 SACD is my new reference disc (Pink Floyd seem like a band that would have gotten into 5.1 from the get-go, are you kidding me?) 5.1 is Animals realized. And ditto on the Dogs talk - that dude is a jam of jams.

Sent from my SM-X900 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Roger just dropped his new stripped-down version of Comfortably Numb.   Personally I like it, I thought it worked great as a show opener.  It's a curiosity more than anything, but a good re-imagining I think.  

Before lockdown I had been working on a demo of a new version of ‘Comfortably Numb’ as an opener to our new show "This Is Not A Drill”. I pitched it a whole step down, in A Minor, to make it darker and arranged it with no solos, except over the outro, where there is a heartrendingly beautiful vocal solo from one of our new sisters Shanay Johnson. It’s intended as a wakeup call, and a bridge towards a kinder future with more talking to strangers, either in "The Bar” or just “Passing in the Street" and less slaughter “In Some Foreign Field.” Here it is. Love R.

The video is by Sean Evans. The mix is by Gus Seyffert. Credits: Produced by Roger Waters and Gus Seyffert Roger Waters – Vocals Gus Seyffert – Bass, Synth, Percussion, Vocals Joey Waronker – Drums Dave Kilminster – Vocals Jonathan Wilson – Harmonium, Synth, Guitar and Vocals Jon Carin – Synth, Vocals Shanay Johnson – Vocals Amanda Belair – Vocals Robert Walter – Organ/Piano Nigel Godrich – Strings, amp and backing vocals from Roger Waters ‘The Wall’ Sessions.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, UTCzech III said:

Roger just dropped his new stripped-down version of Comfortably Numb.   Personally I like it, I thought it worked great as a show opener.  It's a curiosity more than anything, but a good re-imagining I think.  

Before lockdown I had been working on a demo of a new version of ‘Comfortably Numb’ as an opener to our new show "This Is Not A Drill”. I pitched it a whole step down, in A Minor, to make it darker and arranged it with no solos, except over the outro, where there is a heartrendingly beautiful vocal solo from one of our new sisters Shanay Johnson. It’s intended as a wakeup call, and a bridge towards a kinder future with more talking to strangers, either in "The Bar” or just “Passing in the Street" and less slaughter “In Some Foreign Field.” Here it is. Love R.

The video is by Sean Evans. The mix is by Gus Seyffert. Credits: Produced by Roger Waters and Gus Seyffert Roger Waters – Vocals Gus Seyffert – Bass, Synth, Percussion, Vocals Joey Waronker – Drums Dave Kilminster – Vocals Jonathan Wilson – Harmonium, Synth, Guitar and Vocals Jon Carin – Synth, Vocals Shanay Johnson – Vocals Amanda Belair – Vocals Robert Walter – Organ/Piano Nigel Godrich – Strings, amp and backing vocals from Roger Waters ‘The Wall’ Sessions.

I like it. Didn't think I would. 

• 1 month later...

Dark Side of the Moon 50th Anniversary just announced.

James Guthrie remastered. Would like to check out the Atmos mix. No band works so well with surround mixes as Pink Floyd.

https://www.amazon.com/DP/B0BS1VVXT1?tag=linkfiregen&ie=UTF8&linkCode=as2&ascsubtag=abafe1946138a9dbd5993acbf220a281&ref=dmm_acq_soc_us_u_lfire_lp_x_abafe1946138a9dbd5993acbf220a281&fbclid=IwAR25Cua9g2sPEUV_uvvRBZjCGS2rl0wdZA04sns17J9YMu5GIDUcnH69ELg

71TAWtFq-rL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.b4388d95b6cd2748e4013322fa8113c5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Huh. Last time I saw him was ten years ago on the Wall tour. Didn’t notice. 

Sounds like he was doing a good job!

His voice has been shot for ages. If you listen to the Live 8 reunion you can hear it, and that's been 15 years ago now?

Compare 2:17, from 1984, studio recording:

to 2:32, from 2000 (there's a reason they use a far-away crowd shot...)

Hell, he was doing it during the 1984-5 Pros and Cons tour, need to go back to my bootlegs and listen again but there are probably parts of the original 79-80 Wall shows that were synched.

Yeah, without getting into the substance of his opinions (which might take us to the Cloak Room), it was kind of shocking to me in some interviews over the past few years -- seeing how ridiculously overconfident in himself Waters is, and how quickly condescending he was to the interviewers.  Just profoundly unlikeable.  

Probably the most generous (to him) conclusion I could guess at is that he's always been loudly anti-authoritarian - and in 50 years of being a rock star, being anti-authoritarian doesn't really alienate anyone.  Until now, when he just has a very unique impression of which actors in the modern world are authoritarian.  

Again, I'm trying to come up with a (generous) assessment of Waters other than the one in the Gilmour tweet above.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...