Pink Floyd

Shoxthemonkey

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Roger Waters has decided to "reinterpret" Dark Side of the Moon (Dark Side of the Moon Redux), because, in his words:

“The original ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ feels in some ways like the lament of an elder being on the human condition. But Dave, Rick, Nick, and I were so young when we made it, and when you look at the world around us, clearly the message hasn’t stuck. That’s why I started to consider what the wisdom of an 80 year old could bring to a reimagined version. When I first mentioned the idea of re-recording The Dark Side of the Moon to Gus and Sean we all thought I was mad, but the more we considered it, the more we thought, ‘Isn’t that the whole point?’ I’m immensely proud of what we have created, a work that can sit proudly alongside the original, hand-in-hand across a half-century of time.”

"so young when we made it, and when you look at the world around us, clearly the message hasn’t stuck."

cheryl-cole-okay.gif

He did go on to say:

“it’s not a replacement for the original which, obviously, is irreplaceable”.

“But it is a way for the seventy nine year old man to look back across the intervening fifty years into the eyes of the twenty nine year old and say, to quote a poem of mine about my Father, “We did our best, we kept his trust, our Dad would have been proud of us”. And also it is a way for me to honor a recording that Nick and Rick and Dave and I have every right to be very proud of.”

Note: Dave and Nick did not participate in this project.

On 7/22/2023 at 5:39 PM, Buzzrock said:

It’s an interesting idea. No doubt the themes of a song like Time resonate differently with an 80 year old than a 25 year old. They certainly resonate more with 51 year old me than 16 year old me.

It might totally suck but I’m intrigued.

I’m thinking it might be Money that “resonates” differently with 80-year-old Roger and that’s the motivation for this “reinterpretation.”

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, stc said:

his massive ego is the reason for his reinterpretation. just can't live with the idea that others had creative input into his masterpiece. now it can all be his...

This is where I'm at.  DSOTM still resonates just fine after 50 years, and I'd argue that all of the pressures of modern society (real or imagined), money, mental health issues, etc. that is mentioned in the album is even more prevalent when you toss in social media these days.

This feels exactly like he has to finally make it 100% his own.

3 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

I was just listening to the Division Bell.  I like What do you want from me?

I've said it here or elsewhere, but High Hopes, regardless of who wrote it, is probably the PF song that most resonates with me in middle age.

36 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is where I'm at.  DSOTM still resonates just fine after 50 years, and I'd argue that all of the pressures of modern society (real or imagined), money, mental health issues, etc. that is mentioned in the album is even more prevalent when you toss in social media these days.

This feels exactly like he has to finally make it 100% his own.

I've said it here or elsewhere, but High Hopes, regardless of who wrote it, is probably the PF song that most resonates with me in middle age.

Thanks for thai. I just sat back,  closed my eyes and took it in.  Great listen.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've got 4 tix to The Australian Pink Floyd show at the Moody Center on Aug. 15th at 8pm and can't go.  Bought them for $85 apiece ($340) and would be ecstatic to get half back from one of you degenerates with good musical taste.  Pretty good seats.  PM me if interested...

CC9B653E-4B1F-4431-B867-7BD7725AEECF.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/21/2023 at 8:45 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Roger Waters has decided to "reinterpret" Dark Side of the Moon (Dark Side of the Moon Redux), because, in his words:

“The original ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ feels in some ways like the lament of an elder being on the human condition. But Dave, Rick, Nick, and I were so young when we made it, and when you look at the world around us, clearly the message hasn’t stuck. That’s why I started to consider what the wisdom of an 80 year old could bring to a reimagined version. When I first mentioned the idea of re-recording The Dark Side of the Moon to Gus and Sean we all thought I was mad, but the more we considered it, the more we thought, ‘Isn’t that the whole point?’ I’m immensely proud of what we have created, a work that can sit proudly alongside the original, hand-in-hand across a half-century of time.”

"so young when we made it, and when you look at the world around us, clearly the message hasn’t stuck."

cheryl-cole-okay.gif

He did go on to say:

“it’s not a replacement for the original which, obviously, is irreplaceable”.

“But it is a way for the seventy nine year old man to look back across the intervening fifty years into the eyes of the twenty nine year old and say, to quote a poem of mine about my Father, “We did our best, we kept his trust, our Dad would have been proud of us”. And also it is a way for me to honor a recording that Nick and Rick and Dave and I have every right to be very proud of.”

Note: Dave and Nick did not participate in this project.

Judging from Roger's last propaganda show I stupidly shelled money for I'm sure he's in his Gulf Stream now stroking it to headlines of dead Jews.  Enjoy Rog!  You've certainly put in the work.

Guess I'll fuck off to the bar now.

Edited by Cajun

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2023 at 10:01 PM, stc said:

this syd barrett box set finally arrived last week. syd really wrote some striking, unique music. there are some genuinely good songs and also some songs that sound like the ramblings of a man going insane. i'm glad gilmour was patient enough to work with syd and produce these albums, his accounts of these sessions sound very frustrating but ultimately produced some worthwhile albums. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...