Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

9 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

I disagree. I think Beto is committed to working with both sides on issues that matter for Texas. I dont believe he would work with Schumer on something bad for Texans. I also believe he would work with McConnell on things that are good for Texans. He is about moving Texas and Texans forward, not playing partisan politics. There is a place for all in Beto's Texas. 

H/T Hank Scorpio

One night I dreamed a dream.
As I was walking along the beach with my Beto.
Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand,
One belonging to me and one to my Beto.

After the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that at many times along the path of my life,
especially at the very lowest and saddest times,
there was only one set of footprints.

This really troubled me, so I asked the Beto about it.
"Beto, you said once I decided to follow you,
You'd walk with me all the way.
But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me."

He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
Never, ever, during your trials and testings.
When you saw only one set of footprints,
It was then that I carried you."

4 hours ago, GRHorn said:

No one doubts California’s positives. I think what people are referencing though is higher taxes, budget shortfalls/pending catastrophes like CALPERS, insane regulations, but you knew that already. 

tell me more about the budget shortfalls.  And the "insane regulations".  I'll hang up and listen. 

3 hours ago, zork said:

In the video the lady says he should have recused himself from whatever vote they were talking about.  

And he didn't, even when she said he should? Whoa, that sounds pretty heavy duty. Yet, the people from his district didn't see it that way and reelected him with 70% of the vote, and and then sent him to congress.Because it was a non story then and is now, too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Nah. Spend a couple million on a 1500 square foot dump in San Fran where you get a nice long commute and get to step over needles and piles of shit from street people.  

California is wonderful if you’re a one percenter.  

I'm not a 1% by any stretch, but I live quite comfortably here.  My town has arguably 

3 hours ago, Foosters said:

Also, you people realize that California is a pretty large region with towns, cities, rural, and urban zones, right?

It's like saying, "man, the United States fucking sucks! I spent a day in Times Square and, boy, I just dont know how anyone could live in that country!"

Yeah...Palm Springs ain't like Fresno which ain't like Newport.  Hell, Newport isn't even like Irvine, and they border one another. 

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

*Cross post alert*

Gil Bang, you are in SoCal. Have you seen this "Show me how to Duffy?" A 50k "commercial" to sell  45mm house.

I've been in Costa Mesa, Newport and Irvine all week and it's all everyone is talking about.

https://www.smithgrouprealestate.com/blog/What-39-s-A-Duffy/67687

end crows post alert*

Newport was really awesome and reminded me of Dallas If it had ocean front. That said, all these places are awesome if you are single in a 1/1 or have roommates. As a grown up, with kids and private school, and work etc. just doesn’t make sense. Which is why it was mostly old people it seemed like (The Bluffs, The Colony) who have downsized after selling their homes, it felt like.

I hadn't seen that ad, but of course, I'm aware of the listing.  It's been covered by mainstream media outlets too (L.A. Times, OC Register, etc),  not just industry stuff.

Agents spending big money on high-end stuff isn't uncommon anymore.  It started with a Bel Air listing a few years ago.  Same kind of deal.  An agent hired a hollywood production outfit and dropped 100K on a video. Hired a shitload of smokeshow models to lounge by the pool.

That video was moronic, but there is a "duffy culture", especially in Newport Harbor, Huntington Harbor, and places like Lake Mission Viejo.

one more thing...upthread somebody commented on CA's zoning regs.  

I'll just offer one CSB about that.  My GF is from Miami.  She still has siblings in Coral Gables, and we visit several times a year. 

She often talks about how beautiful the CA coastline is, because you can actually see the fucking water.  In FL, the beach is high-rise condo next to high-rise condo.  

I like it the way we do it here. 

6 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

shared on a beto page, although I'm realizing from the upthread tweet that this is in Wisconsin.  But just total respect for the game on display here.

He was trying to get some obviously. 

“Yeah I’m super passionate just like you. Can I come along?”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

I’m just saying, my experience is that it’s simply not worth it (from a cost of living, taxes and personality of people). Sure they have a ton of Chinese and Indian but so does any good subrurb in a Texas city so I’m not being racist. Just would not want to live there and call that my life.
Your mileage varies and good for you, I just don’t appreciate the things you do I guess which is apparently living amongst people with higher than average GDP and in a state with great universities as if that matters to your day to day life.

Yeah living in a state where average GDP is higher than average and with smart, educated people around me Does sound appealing.

People that bitch about California haven’t spent time there. There is something for everyone. You like Odessa? Try Bakersfield! You can have an ugly area, cheap housing and Oil operations on your property with the same heat and dust- minus the high plains blizzards.
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Are “real Texans” not smart enough for Columbia or what?

small anecdote here, but the two people I personally know who went to Columbia (undergrad, not MBA/Law) couldn't have gotten into Rice, I don't think (to tie it back to "real Texas"). Not the smartest guys in the world, but decently well connected with monied parents.

Edited by Guest

I can understand distaste for some (not all) of the government overreach stories that often come out of California. However, roughly 100% of the people who never shut the fuck up about “Californians” and the like moving to Texas and making it too crowded and unaffordable are low intellect pussies driven by fear that they will be swallowed by the tide rather than rise with it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I'm not a 1% by any stretch, but I live quite comfortably here.  My town has arguably 

Yeah...Palm Springs ain't like Fresno which ain't like Newport.  Hell, Newport isn't even like Irvine, and they border one another. 

I hadn't seen that ad, but of course, I'm aware of the listing.  It's been covered by mainstream media outlets too (L.A. Times, OC Register, etc),  not just industry stuff.

Agents spending big money on high-end stuff isn't uncommon anymore.  It started with a Bel Air listing a few years ago.  Same kind of deal.  An agent hired a hollywood production outfit and dropped 100K on a video. Hired a shitload of smokeshow models to lounge by the pool.

That video was moronic, but there is a "duffy culture", especially in Newport Harbor, Huntington Harbor, and places like Lake Mission Viejo.

Y'all will kindly forgive me for quoting myself. I intended to post "My town has arguably the best weather in the U.S.".   

North County of San Diego.  Fucking amazing.  

21 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Y'all will kindly forgive me for quoting myself. I intended to post "My town has arguably the best weather in the U.S.".   

North County of San Diego.  Fucking amazing.  

It was a hot 84 degrees today in Orange County tho. What's up with that?

2 hours ago, Born to Run said:

People that bitch about California haven’t spent time there. There is something for everyone. You like Odessa? Try Bakersfield! You can have an ugly area, cheap housing and Oil operations on your property with the same heat and dust- minus the high plains blizzards.

You want blizzards go to NorCal. 

14 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

higher taxes like INSANE property taxes in Texas? 

I just ran the numbers. My income tax in California would 4.5x my current property tax. 

One can believe these two things at the same time. 

1) California is a beautiful, desirable place to live. 

2) Circumstances there currently are enticing/forcing/causing many smart, capable people to move here from there. 

11 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

one more thing...upthread somebody commented on CA's zoning regs.  

I'll just offer one CSB about that.  My GF is from Miami.  She still has siblings in Coral Gables, and we visit several times a year. 

She often talks about how beautiful the CA coastline is, because you can actually see the fucking water.  In FL, the beach is high-rise condo next to high-rise condo.  

I like it the way we do it here. 

Places that treat waterfront as a public good usually end up with a nicer waterfront. 

20 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I just ran the numbers. My income tax in California would 4.5x my current property tax. 

One can believe these two things at the same time. 

1) California is a beautiful, desirable place to live. 

2) Circumstances there currently are enticing/forcing/causing many smart, capable people to move here from there. 

My taxes would be about the same in both, with California being a bit higher, but its negligible. 

And yet there are more that move into California to take their place. 

Again, Texas and California are both great places to visit and live, and they both could learn a lot from each other. 

• Like 1

So now he has the money to do his big Field operation AND flood the airwaves. As we said a couple days ago, he doesn't have to run deceptive scare tactic ads to effectively draw contrasts with Cruz. 20 seconds of "Ted Cruz (1) absent from.the Senate (2) funded by big money." Then 10 seconds of "I'm.beto, running without PACs to represent all of Texas".

3 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

curious how much outside PAC money is being spent for Cruz on top of that.  And what kind of blitz Beto has planned.  He can't go negative but he needs something stronger than what he's got right now for TV

You have to fight PACs with PACs.  Cruz has an entirely negative PAC apparatus operating on his behalf, on top of his own decidedly negative campaign.  Beto has to counter it, or let it be countered, with some negativity.

Just now, horncyclist said:

So now he has the money to do his big Field operation AND flood the airwaves. As we said a couple days ago, he doesn't have to run deceptive scare tactic ads to effectively draw contrasts with Cruz. 20 seconds of "Ted Cruz (1) absent from.the Senate (2) funded by big money." Then 10 seconds of "I'm.beto, running without PACs to represent all of Texas".

Are PACs actually controllable?  How is Beto keeping Dem leaning PACs out of the way as it is since they operate independently? Is it just a courtesy?

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Again, does raising the most money mean you win?  Why does this matter?  Quinnipiac poll has Cruz up 9 points.

I'd like to see how much came from in-state to truly gauge how much energy is within Texas or if it's a lot from out of state people who just hate Cruz, like Beto and latched on.

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Again, does raising the most money mean you win?  Why does this matter?  Quinnipiac poll has Cruz up 9 points.

hopefully Beto use some of the money to make up ground and some of the money to have his GOTV campaign make the poll demographic weighting irrelevant.

4 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Are PACs actually controllable?  How is Beto keeping Dem leaning PACs out of the way as it is since they operate independently? Is it just a courtesy?

No PACS are supposed to operated independently. 

They are staying out as a courtesy except firetedcruz that i know of.

He's not receiving PAC money directly. He has no control over super PACs but has distanced himself from them (see Linklater ad). He's doing the most he can to distance himself under existing laws.

If the Dem candidate is not a hunter and a veteran, he's not going to win a statewide office.

If the Dems want to win, they need someone who likes to kill shit with guns and someone who was in-country. Better if he (think it needs to be a he)  actually killed some hadjjs.

I like what Beto is trying to do, and he's so much superior a representative for the state that that fucking toad Cruz, but you have to play to the rabble of any state.  The rabble votes too.

I listen to the Commentary podcast, and they don't have a problem with grabbing the pussy if it causes liberal tears, but they make the very obvious point that sometimes instead of being right, you have to look at yourself and ask "why do I never win the popularity contest"?

11 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

Needs a 3rd party ad just comparing Beto, who only tells you want he wants to as Senator, and Cruz, who only talks about Beto.

I'd also do a 3rd party ad talking about Beto being a native Texan for Texans compared to a Canadian carpetbagger who looks for the next best opportunity at the drop of a hat.

Edited by CooterBrown

33 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

I don't believe a candidate can stop a PAC.  for example, anyone here could buy a commercial saying whatever they want, short of saying that the ad was from Beto.    However I would think the standard PAC wants to work with a candidate's strategy.   Or perhaps stay out of the way unless informally asked to join.  I believe they have to stay an arm's length away, meaning that the candidate cannot direct the PAC on what to do.

14 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

You mean written by the New York Times just this week. Read the comments from those living in SF. They say it’s not limited to just the Tenderloin and that the city is very dangerous

Icono's stupid longcat.

Have you not been to 6th and Red River recently?  Or really anywhere in the Red River district?  That kind of shit can happen in every major city.  

17 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Have you not been to 6th and Red River recently?  Or really anywhere in the Red River district?  That kind of shit can happen in every major city.  

I stayed at the Holiday Inn that was like a block away from that homeless shelter. It was pretty sketchy walking over by there to be sure.