Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

12 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

free lyft from the quad/union/rec hall/etc to the polling places.  election day party where the "I Voted" or "Yo Vote" sticker gets you a cup

The second, yes.

The first, Uber is already offering that.  Not to mention most campuses have 1-2 voting locations for students.  UT has 2 as of this year (finally).

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH AUSTIN?
So you dont want to live in the Bay Area, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Orange County, and Austin fucking Texas? ok, your opinion on best places to live has been disqualified. you can go sit over there...

“Too many Chinese and Indians.” - ORC 2018

2 hours ago, horncyclist said:

So now he has the money to do his big Field operation AND flood the airwaves. As we said a couple days ago, he doesn't have to run deceptive scare tactic ads to effectively draw contrasts with Cruz. 20 seconds of "Ted Cruz (1) absent from.the Senate (2) funded by big money." Then 10 seconds of "I'm.beto, running without PACs to represent all of Texas".

You assume far too much about the electorate of this state (and more generally the nation).  Most Texans couldn't tell you what "PAC" stands for, much less the specifics of their negative influence on our politics. You have to talk to idiots in their own language and terms that resonate. Run 38MM worth of ads that highlight how much of a fucking awkward cuck Cruz is. That shit plays pretty broadly across all levels. 

Edited by Anastasis

1 minute ago, pepper brooks said:

Hard to believe a guy who alleges he doesn't take PAC money could raise the kind of money he is with taking ONLY money from individuals.  

I gather that he's receiving a fair amount from out of state.  It will be hard for the Democrat party to not seriously consider Beto for at least a VP slot in the near future regardless if he wins or not.  If he can raise that kind of money for a senate spot and potentially shift Texas a bit more purple what can he do in states that are more purple than Texas?  

If he actually won next month....   It's still a long shot but not impossible.

While I don't watch much TV, I do see that one Beto ad a few times per week.  I do wonder where the money is being spent, or where it will be spent. I'm not accusing the campaign of anything nefarious but more curious of his strategy.   

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

While I don't watch much TV, I do see that one Beto ad a few times per week.  I do wonder where the money is being spent, or where it will be spent. I'm not accusing the campaign of anything nefarious but more curious of his strategy. 

Text messages apparently. 

In all seriousness, what happens to his war chest after November?  Could he redeploy it in 2020?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:
He can't go negative...

Dems love to fight with one hand tied behind their back.

"At least we lost with honor," the white libs say as minorities are marched into camps.

[edit]

Run 38MM worth of ads that highlight how much of a fucking awkward cuck Cruz is. That shit plays pretty broadly across all levels. 

"Ted Cruz is a disgusting loser who everyone hates, including his family."
*video of his daughter shrinking away from him; him punching his wife in the face on his way to that awkward handshake/salute/hail victory thing with Fiorna*

"Ted Cruz doesn't defend his own wife against New York bullies."
*video of Trump clowning Ted interspersed with video of Ted's ugly face looking sad/dejected*

"Ted Cruz is such a power-seeking coward, he'll campaign for you after insulting your family."
*picture of Ted Cruz phone banking for Trump*

"Ted Cruz: Disgusting Loser"
*video of Ted spitting that thing onto his lip then eating it*

(Paid for by Beto O'Rourke for Texas Senate)

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

This board inspires the LOL

”Real Texan” Beto and “Canadian Cruz” all while deepthroating Cali. 

Both are politicians to the core. One can’t hide it, the other tries. Matriculating at Columbia is real Texan gtfo. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio
  • Like 3

On 10/10/2018 at 1:33 PM, GRHorn said:

Tough as Texas means nothing to me. It’s an empty slogan. These guys are both just politicians hungry for power, nothing more.  

I’d rather he debate Beto again, but it doesn’t bother me enough to change my vote. I doubt it bothers more than 10 people enough to change their votes either.  

He’s not running for “politician who best represents essence of being Texan”.

I don’t care that he’s hated either. I care that he votes in line with my interests most of the time.

Hope that clarifies some things for you. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I gather that he's receiving a fair amount from out of state.  It will be hard for the Democrat party to not seriously consider Beto for at least a VP slot in the near future regardless if he wins or not.  If he can raise that kind of money for a senate spot and potentially shift Texas a bit more purple what can he do in states that are more purple than Texas?  

If he actually won next month....   It's still a long shot but not impossible.

It seems like I already see plenty of Beto ads. I guess he’ll just fill every commercial break?  

Beto's quarterly total was more than the entire 2016 NH Senate race (combined parties).

Not too far behind him this Q was Sherrod Brown in Ohio, who is regularly up 10-15 points.  26 million.

Candidates not lacking for money.

An ad showing nothing but Trump and Cruz tweets at one another ending with the pic of sad Cruz working the phone banks for Trump would be devastatingly effective.  Beto is making a mistake by not highlighting that.  I don't consider that going dirty because it's just showing Cruz's own words and actions.  If a man is a sniveling coward, there's nothing wrong with telling people about it.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 2

Again, does raising the most money mean you win?  Why does this matter?  Quinnipiac poll has Cruz up 9 points.

1) pays for the most intensive Democratic GOTV field operation in Texas history
2) uses small donor money that would be on sidelines othwise and forces national GOP money into the race and away from winnable GOP races

This isn’t about whether Cruz wins. It’s about what saving Cruz costs the GOP.
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, elfenix said:

on top of being just the tip of a peninsula, san francisco in particular is expensive because the whole thing is basically one giant HOA. 

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/demolishing-the-california-dream/

Plenty of people here in Texas would love for cities to be one giant HOA. 

Back to the subject.  

Cruz beat up Beto in the NY Times live poll.  found the breakdowns interesting:

OUBhVLCT_o.jpg

No real surprises

• No surprise that the old supported Cruz and that trended to Beto as the demographic became younger:
  • Cruz won the white vote, Beto every other race
  • Beto picked up percentages as the voter had more education
  • Only 2% of those surveyed said they were not very likely or not all likely to vote.   It's an easy bet to say this will be the highest turnout for a mid-term in some time.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

1) pays for the most intensive Democratic GOTV field operation in Texas history
2) uses small donor money that would be on sidelines othwise and forces national GOP money into the race and away from winnable GOP races

This isn’t about whether Cruz wins. It’s about what saving Cruz costs the GOP.

This sounds like an aggy moral victory. 

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Which is the only victory Beto is going to get.

Y'all should be throwing your money at Heidi Heitkamp.

Heidi, Sinema, Rosen, McCaskill, Nelson.  Throw it where it needs to go. 

37 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

This sounds like an aggy moral victory. 

Not really.   A hard-fought aggy loss doesn't impact any other SEC games that are going on at the same time.   By contrast, money spent by the GOP in Texas is money they can't spend somewhere else. 

• Like 2

Just now, Mojo Hand said:

Not really.   A hard-fought aggy loss doesn't impact any other SEC games that are going on at the same time.   By contrast, money spent by the GOP in Texas is money they can't spend somewhere else. 

Doesn't that cut both ways? A substantial portion of the 38MM is out of state money that could be donated to other races. They chose Beto who is down 8-9 over Nevada or Tennessee. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

An ad showing nothing but Trump and Cruz tweets at one another ending with the pic of sad Cruz working the phone banks for Trump would be devastatingly effective.  Beto is making a mistake by not highlighting that.  I don't consider that going dirty because it's just showing Cruz's own words and actions.  If a man is a sniveling coward, there's nothing wrong with telling people about it.

This.  Let the Trumpkins reconcile what Cruz said about Trump and what Trump said about Cruz.  Mention how often he fails to vote. Mention how much time he spent campaigning in Iowa.  Mention that he votes in the financial interest of companies like AT&T who donate to him, rather than Texans.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Doesn't that cut both ways? A substantial portion of the 38MM is out of state money that could be donated to other races. They chose Beto who is down 8-9 over Nevada or Tennessee. 

Beto probably opened up wallets that normally wouldn’t be opened up for politicians. 

And there are results. We are seeing Republican candidates being cut off from certain funding pipelines. 

My Beto shirt is a chic magnet.  I’ve yet to wear it without at least 2 women coming up to me with comments like “nice choice” and “smart man”
Win/win.

So I got into a discussion with a hot mother/daughter combo at a pub Wednesday about my Beto shirt in Windsor. That was fun. I told them they needed to hustle home in time for Election Day—they agreed.

Also talked to Art Ramirez—he’s originally from McAllen, but he’s been here for 40 years. Now works as an usher at Windsor Castle. Interesting accent, as you might imagine. He was keenly interested in the race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

So I got into a discussion with a hot mother/daughter combo at a pub Wednesday about my Beto shirt in Windsor. That was fun. I told them they needed to hustle home in time for Election Day—they agreed.

Also talked to Art Ramirez—he’s originally from McAllen, but he’s been here for 40 years. Now works as an usher at Windsor Castle. Interesting accent, as you might imagine. He was keenly interested in the race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice humblebrag on your London trip.