Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

This quote from the article is a common refrain, but how many of you had meaningful Democratic Party contests in your local county or district? It was pointless to vote in the Democratic primary just to show support for Beto, when there were likely races up for grabs that mattered.
That won't be an issue in November. Cruz may still win, but O'Rourke will likely get the vote of many of the GOP primary voters who despise Cruz, are hopeful about Beto and want to send a message on Election Day. I think the number of voters in the respective primaries is next to meaningless in the Senate race.

1) Primary votes doesn’t mean shit
2) Beto is diverting resources to Cruz that would otherwise go to purple states/house districts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m getting tired of all the articles about turning Texas blue. I don’t care about it being blue, I just want to have some representation. I have no voice. I’m OK with a Republican AND Democratic Senator. At least there will be a choice of opinions to listen to. For a long time it’s been too one sided. 

• Like 1

SIAP

"U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, holds an 11 percentage point lead over U.S. Rep. Beto O’Rourke, D-El Paso, in the race at the top of the November election ballot in Texas, according to a Quinnipiac University Poll released Wednesday."

https://www.statesman.com/news/poll-ted-cruz-leads-beto-rourke-points/D9tukUx49XDBvoICaWjiiK/

20 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

SIAP

"U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, holds an 11 percentage point lead over U.S. Rep. Beto O’Rourke, D-El Paso, in the race at the top of the November election ballot in Texas, according to a Quinnipiac University Poll released Wednesday."

https://www.statesman.com/news/poll-ted-cruz-leads-beto-rourke-points/D9tukUx49XDBvoICaWjiiK/

this is interesting, because of the talk about the 2016 election. trump only garnered a little more than 52% of the texas vote. hillary got something like 43%. people hated hillary, with good reason. but rump didn't win those votes, interestingly. he barely scored a majority.

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

this is interesting, because of the talk about the 2016 election. trump only garnered a little more than 52% of the texas vote. hillary got something like 43%. people hated hillary, with good reason. but rump didn't win those votes, interestingly. he barely scored a majority.

Also, see the 53-34 margin right now in the Abbott-Valdez governor's race.  First, that's about what I expected, because second....she's a TERRIBLE candidate.  I think White could have broken the 40% mark.  No way Valdez can.

9 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Part of not voting for Trump was recognizing that he was an entertainment personality with no business running a country.  Cruz doesn't have that problem.  I'd guess more people were willing to go against their R upbringing based on the fact that the guy is a joke than the guy is just hateable.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Part of not voting for Trump was recognizing that he was an entertainment personality with no business running a country.  Cruz doesn't have that problem.  I'd guess more people were willing to go against their R upbringing based on the fact that the guy is a joke than the guy is just hateable.

it's a good point. but the flipside to that coin is that hillary was universally reviled by red texas, and still managed to get 43% of the vote.

that said, i'm not sure where they make up the 8% unless they really get out the vote.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/05/11/hispanic-turnout-2016-election/

The poll has Cruz leading 57 percent to 35 percent among men, up from 51 percent to 40 percent in mid-April. Women go 44 percent for Cruz and 42 percent for O’Rourke, compared to last month when women went 47 percent for O’Rourke and 43 percent for Cruz.

Cruz gets 46 percent of Hispanic voters, with 44 percent for O’Rourke. White voters back Cruz 62 percent to 28 percent and black voters go to O’Rourke 70 percent to 15 percent, according to the pollsters.

On 5/28/2018 at 5:25 PM, JukeJointJunkie said:

You must be a citizen of Texas at least 5 years to be governor. 

Now go fuck off, sugar.

Negged. Both you and sugar suck. Take your stupid fucking sock war over to Douchebag Central. 

Edited by Pods
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2018 at 2:29 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

2) Beto is diverting resources to Cruz that would otherwise go to purple states/house districts

As is Beto diverting resources that Dems could use in a race they could actually win, but keep fucking that blue wave Texas chicken.

9 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yep, another classic example of the Dems not just stepping on their dick, but stomping it into the ground. 

Never, EVER bet against the Texas Democratic party doing something completely stupid and counterproductive.  It's as sure as death and taxes.

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The Texas Democratic Party is already grooming its gubernatorial candidates for the next election.  Right now the first choice is Colin Kaepernick, but only if he plays for the Eagles or Redskins between now and the election to increase his visibility in the DFW area.

Bob Stoops is tanned rested and ready, but probably needs to coach at LSU for a few seasons in order to adequately antagonize the ags in the voting base. 

Otherwise they might turn out for him so they could say "Hurr hurr T-sip tears, lulz." 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The Texas Democratic Party is already grooming its gubernatorial candidates for the next election.  Right now the first choice is Colin Kaepernick, but only if he plays for the Eagles or Redskins between now and the election to increase his visibility in the DFW area.

I dunno -- I heard that they were trying to see if he'd also consider turning gay, at least through the election.

4 minutes ago, F250 said:

So you guys think nominating the lesbian Latina who looks like someone's abuelita was a bad choice?

She has "intersectionality" that Abbott, as a wheelchair-bound white man, can only dream of. And we all know intersectionality is what Texans crave. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

As is Beto diverting resources that Dems could use in a race they could actually win, but keep fucking that blue wave Texas chicken.

There is very little organized financial coordination between Texas Democratic races because the statewide organization is basically nonexistent. There is a great deal of financial coordination between Republicans both statewide and nationally, and their success is predicated on the idiotic Democratic practice of not contesting every race. Beto is playing with house money.

19 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

There is very little organized financial coordination between Texas Democratic races because the statewide organization is basically nonexistent. There is a great deal of financial coordination between Republicans both statewide and nationally, and their success is predicated on the idiotic Democratic practice of not contesting every race. Beto is playing with house money.

And it IS an idiotic tactic.

Look, Beto's strategy should be a simple one.  Campaign like hell, get some name recognition and play on likeability, particularly with respect to women voters.  Get your natural, positive turnout numbers as high as possible.  Conduct or allow for some negative campaigning against Cruz: portray him as the epitome of a bought and paid for candidate, and a coward who's not a real Texan (sucked up to a man who insulted his wife and father).  And then, finally.....just be in position so if/when some big negative breaks on Cruz late, you can swoop in and win by a coupla points.

Odds remain in Ted's favor.

And in 1996, the Huskers should beat Texas 9 outta 10 times.  But one time -- the time they actually played -- Steelers Roll Left.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And it IS an idiotic tactic.

Look, Beto's strategy should be a simple one.  Campaign like hell, get some name recognition and play on likeability, particularly with respect to women voters.  Get your natural, positive turnout numbers as high as possible.  Conduct or allow for some negative campaigning against Cruz: portray him as the epitome of a bought and paid for candidate, and a coward who's not a real Texan (sucked up to a man who insulted his wife and father).  And then, finally.....just be in position so if/when some big negative breaks on Cruz late, you can swoop in and win by a coupla points.

Odds remain in Ted's favor.

And in 1996, the Huskers should beat Texas 9 outta 10 times.  But one time -- the time they actually played -- Steelers Roll Left.

I think any ad should close with a blown up picture of his face painted scary white in that two-man play: TED CRUZ WAS A MIME IN HIGH SCHOOL. TEXANS DON'T MIME. 

I'm fascinated by that result, because the Quinnipiac poll from about six weeks ago showed the race within four points.  So what changed within the last six weeks?  Can anybody think of anything?

I honestly think this is a margin-of-error thing that the more recent poll has teased out.  This race hasn't changed.  Cruz is up around 7-8 points.  That's where he was six weeks ago; that's where he is today.

So you guys think nominating the lesbian Latina who looks like someone's abuelita was a bad choice?
I was makin' fun of her chola brows the other day until someone told me that she has alopecia and is smooth as a baby ALL OVER.

9 hours ago, RPM said:

Polls said Dewey would defeat Truman and Hillary would crush Trump. Don't trust polls.

I actually think with anti Trump fervor still at fever pitch, that Dems will outperform polls nationwide.  Don't think that will carryover here though.  

5 hours ago, woohorn said:
9 hours ago, F250 said:

I was makin' fun of her chola brows the other day until someone told me that she has alopecia and is smooth as a baby ALL OVER.

Woohorn is Vic Mackey?

Not sure I can take another term of Cruz who does absolutely nothing. 

You knew Valdez was bad when the Human Rights Campaign didn’t even endorse her.  The LGBTQ National Organization didn’t even endorse the lesbian candidate.  That’s how bad she is.