Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

Trump fired off some trade war shots today that could have a serious impact on our state economy. How are the candidates addressing this?

Edited by F250
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Ted might be a little nervous if he's sending out crap like that.

You know, I wonder if this tweet

is indicative of the fact that the Russians got hold of some compromising information regarding Heidi Cruz during the last campaign, information that would completely sink Ted's political career if made public, and Trump's oblique reference to it was a way to let Ted know that he (Trump) knows this secret.  Like, speaking completely hypothetically, what if Heidi has had an abortion?  Cruz HAS to know that Trump's crazy enough to release it, if cornered and desperate.  He's been a placid pussycat re: Trump ever since.   Cruz's 180-degree turnabout regarding Trump is one of the stranger political narratives of the last few years. 

Edited by Hornius Emeritus

Just now, Hornius Emeritus said:

is indicative of the fact that the Russians got hold of some compromising information regarding Heidi Cruz during the last campaign, information that would completely sink Ted's political career if made public, and Trump's oblique reference to it was a way to let Ted know that he (Trump) knows this secret.  Like, speaking completely hypothetically, what if Heidi has had an abortion?  Cruz HAS to know that Trump's crazy enough to release it, if cornered and desperate.  He's been a placid pussycat re: Trump ever since. 

At Cambridge Analytica, blackmailing was a popular tool too, according to their CEO.  

58 minutes ago, kevwun said:

His wife had a nervous breakdown.  It's pretty widely known at this point.

That has been known forever. There is even a reference to her "depression"  on Wikipedia.  Besides, I think that if Trump were to release that kind of information, that even his supporters would think that it makes HIM look bad, not Heidi Cruz. 

4 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

That has been known forever. There is even a reference to her "depression"  on Wikipedia.  Besides, I think that if Trump were to release that kind of information, that even his supporters would think that it makes HIM look bad, not Heidi Cruz. 

lol no they wouldn't

2 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

If Heidi and Ted are celebrating, I guess it means Trump won't be "spilling the beans" on Heidi. 

This was some serious beta shit on Cruz's part. At some point a man has to throw a punch. Cruz is an embarrassment to Texans.

• Like 2

Just now, F250 said:

This was some serious beta shit on Cruz's part. At some point a man has to throw a punch. Cruz is an embarrassment to Texans.

This.  1000X this.

That can/should be the whole campaign against Cruz.  Texas: where the men are men, not cowering simpering little losers who let someone shit on their wife and father, and then bow to him.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  1000X this.

That can/should be the whole campaign against Cruz.  Texas: where the men are men, not cowering simpering little losers who let someone shit on their wife and father, and then bow to him.

It should be used in the campaign. Cruz didn't even defend his family why should we expect him to stand up for Texas. It's a major character flaw that needs to be addressed.

On 5/30/2018 at 6:23 PM, Ghost of LL said:

I'm fascinated by that result, because the Quinnipiac poll from about six weeks ago showed the race within four points.  So what changed within the last six weeks?  Can anybody think of anything?

I honestly think this is a margin-of-error thing that the more recent poll has teased out.  This race hasn't changed.  Cruz is up around 7-8 points.  That's where he was six weeks ago; that's where he is today.

That is exactly what somebody on NPR said this morning.

On 4/3/2018 at 8:42 AM, Post Oak said:

Beto raised 6.7 mill in 2018 so far.  Going to see him today in Waco

https://mobile.twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/981153464955953152

I hope he gets a billion...

Nothing makes me happier than watching Democrats piss money away.  🤣

Where's 'Abortion Barbie" these days?  Doesn't she need a couple hundred million of the DNC's $$$ to beat Abbot?  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Isn't this shit Republicans are supposed to say?

And this is how you know politics is about team and not policy. You can see the post just above yours rooting against the one with the Republican trade policy stance for the simple reason that he has the wrong letter next to his name. 

And this is how you know politics is about team and not policy. You can see the post just above yours rooting against the one with the Republican trade policy stance for the simple reason that he has the wrong letter next to his name. 

Your both sides argument is false here. Prior to Trump, I can’t remember anyone even speaking about tariffs because for the most part its economically unsound and people who know policy on both sides dont support them.

Tariffs are part of Trump’s plan to Make America the 1880’s Again. Tariffs, xenophobia and wide-scale graft.

6 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Your both sides argument is false here. Prior to Trump, I can’t remember anyone even speaking about tariffs because for the most part its economically unsound and people who know policy on both sides dont support them.

Tariffs are part of Trump’s plan to Make America the 1880’s Again. Tariffs, xenophobia and wide-scale graft.

Not sure how you see this as a both sides argument. It was an x4 is stupid to support a guy because of his letter and not his policy stances argument. 

9 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Economy is looking pretty good right now, get back to me when his policies start tanking our economy. Ill hang up and listen. 

On 6/2/2018 at 10:57 PM, Gil Bang said:

Last 16 months of Obama created more jobs than first 16 months of Trump.

Yea...but not everyone wants to work part time at Starbucks.

For the first time in a long time I'm feeling some upward ticks in employement & wages.  

It's kinda nice.  Just as long as it doesn't become insanely inflationary.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Driving around Preston Hollow and the Park Cities over the past few days, I've seen several Beto yard signs.  I have yet to see a yard sign for Cruz anywhere.

Yard signs don't vote, of course.  Those neighborhoods will almost certainly still go R.  But Preston Hollow and the Park Cities are places in which it has been pretty damned socially unacceptable to have a yard sign for a Democrat in front of your house.  Now I'm seeing more than a handful.  That's a big change.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2018 at 9:58 PM, Vince_McCoy_Williams said:

Economy is looking pretty good right now, get back to me when his policies start tanking our economy. Ill hang up and listen. 

Edit: uh no idea why this was quoted with the reply that was there

Edited by SubliminalHorn

6 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

If Beto loses I wonder when the next viable D candidate will emerge.  I bet it is a while. Cornyn will get a pass the next cycle and the conditions won’t be as bad for Cruz next time he’s up. 

Then Beto should run against Cornyn.

9 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

If Beto loses I wonder when the next viable D candidate will emerge.  I bet it is a while. Cornyn will get a pass the next cycle and the conditions won’t be as bad for Cruz next time he’s up. 

The last I checked around 75,000 Texas Republicans die each year and 175,000 Latinos become newly eligible voters. Those and other demographic shifts add up over time. 

In 10 years Texas will be firmly Democratic with regard to statewide races. We don't know exactly when we will start seeing the transition, but it could be as early as 2018 or 2020. It would be a bad bet to say it will be 2028 or later.

59 minutes ago, RayDog said:

The last I checked around 75,000 Texas Republicans die each year and 175,000 Latinos become newly eligible voters. Those and other demographic shifts add up over time. 

In 10 years Texas will be firmly Democratic with regard to statewide races. We don't know exactly when we will start seeing the transition, but it could be as early as 2018 or 2020. It would be a bad bet to say it will be 2028 or later.

Where did you check?  

1 minute ago, Tennesseehorn said:

Where did you check?  

It was some research I did during the run-up to the 2016 election and posted on the old site.

Basically (off the top of my head) about 100,000 Texas voters die each year with ~75% of of those being republican voters for a net loss of 50,000 votes a year. It is easy to account for 175,000 new Latino voters since that is approximately the number graduating high school each year. There is a smaller group being naturalized each year along with a lot of other foreigners that tend to lean Democratic. It might be more accurate to say 175,000 to 200,000, but I seem to recall reading that the numbers will shrink a little sometime next decade. 

• Like 1