Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

Projection.  The Trump movement is purely about anger.  Impotent anger.  And the more impotent Cruz has been exposed to be, the angrier he's become, and the more he's supported Trump. 

Edited by Mojo Hand

Southern Baptists Call Off the Culture War

America’s largest Protestant group moves to cut ties with the Republican Party and re-engage with mainstream culture.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/06/southern-baptists-call-off-the-culture-war/563000/

I wonder if this has Cruz sleeping a little less at night?

• Like 1

Esquire photo article that just posted:

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a21287606/beto-orourke-texas-senate-photos/

I think this may be the money quote:

“O'Rourke takes questions on the steps of the 1930s-era Cottle County Courthouse in Paducah. He is greeted by a small group wearing Trump gear and gun rights T-shirts, who tell him that "anyone who is gonna come this far to our town deserves to have us come out and give you a listen." A volunteer who knew one of the MAGA guys said he pulled her aside afterwards, saying of O'Rourke: "He's good."”

Cruz is hobnobbing with the evil, Communist Hollywood elite (did I do that right?) and Beto is hitting every small town in the state.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, austingirl said:

I do volunteer work for Beto's campaign (surprise!). I get called a "libtard" on a regular basis and get a lot of responses that are just "#MAGA!" and the like, but I also hear a lot of "who is Beto?" and "What is his position on X?" For those with genuine questions and who are on the fence, I'm happy to be there to answer questions and help in any way I can. I really have no idea what's going to happen in November but I'll do what I can for Beto while I can.

I'm all out emojis for the day, but I'll come back and heart you tomorrow.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stringer said:

Esquire photo article that just posted:

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a21287606/beto-orourke-texas-senate-photos/

I think this may be the money quote:

“O'Rourke takes questions on the steps of the 1930s-era Cottle County Courthouse in Paducah. He is greeted by a small group wearing Trump gear and gun rights T-shirts, who tell him that "anyone who is gonna come this far to our town deserves to have us come out and give you a listen." A volunteer who knew one of the MAGA guys said he pulled her aside afterwards, saying of O'Rourke: "He's good."”

Cruz is hobnobbing with the evil, Communist Hollywood elite (did I do that right?) and Beto is hitting every small town in the state.  

This is awesome. I hadn't seen it yet. Thanks for posting.

I've voted Republican or Libertarian my whole life, but Beto will probably be the first time I'll vote differently.  He seems to be one of the few voices of sanity out there at the moment and also seems to be a very decent human being at the same time.  Sounds like someone I can and should support as much as possible.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, The Royal We said:

I've voted Republican or Libertarian my whole life, but Beto will probably be the first time I'll vote differently.  He seems to be one of the few voices of sanity out there at the moment and also seems to be a very decent human being at the same time.  Sounds like someone I can and should support as much as possible.

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I have said this before on surly, perhaps in this thread: I was in 8th grade when Reagan won in '80 and have been "republican" ever since.  I never really voted at except in a few school board type elections where it is not so much about the party affiliation.

Along the way, I listed to Rush and Sgt. Sam on KLBJ, especially back in the early/mid Clinton years-I was was pretty sore at Bush I losing back in '92.  Somewhere in the later Clinton years I got tired of their shtick-just too hateful and their extreme arguments would never stand up to any simple logic applied.  For the 2000 presidential election I wanted Bush to win but was OK with Gore-seemed like a descent enough guy.  Pulled for Bush in the post election FLorida debacle.

After 911 I went harder right, mostly because I thought Clinton had botched the missile raid on Bin Laden because he rushed it to deflect on the Lewinsky thing. 

Bush did some nutty stuff, but the thing I remember most was the gas and commodities price escalation-or rather an interesting explanation I heard from the right for the gas price increases-If you remember gas prices went through the roof in 2008 without a corresponding like increase in the price of oil. Demand for gas had a slight increase, there was some reduced refining capacity and the price of oil did go up-but none of those factors in total would have accounted for the increase.  As the questions got harder for the administration and the oil companies as profits soared , there was a lot of talk about demand and the markets adjusting to it as the reason.  This is when I called bullshit on the whole thing-as an oil company you don't get to charge 3 times as much for doing the same thing.  It was a fix, a bone thrown to the oil industry.  The analysis is more complicated than I am making it, but that is what turned me off of "conservative" talking points.

Then came the 2008 election, which should have been a landslide for Obama: Bad economy (with no cover for party in power), bad Republican VP candidate, beleaguered populace from unending and pretty sketchy war, gas prices, food prices, etc.  I came to the conclusion that there might be a racial problem. 

I was/am no fan of Obama.  In addition to ACA, I saw little hope and change.  If anything I saw a doubling down on Bush II doctrines.

So 2016 election would be wide open. I figured Hilary would get the D nod and hoped the republicans would get somebody good (a McKain or Romney type candidate would probably win easily).  I simply could not believe what I was watching as Trump surged and people got behind him.  Election night I went to bed early, thinking if the American people had any sense Hilary would be our president elect. I did not vote-it is Texas after all.

Which brings us to today. I voted for the first time in decades in the democratic primary.  In the midterms, I am voting for Beto and anybody else that has a D behind their name-not because I think they are any better than the others guys necessarily, but this madness must be stopped.  

These posts give me hope. I voted for W twice. I was actually down at the capitol on election night in 2000 cheering for him. Fast forward to 2017 and I was at the women's march wearing a pussyhat I knitted myself. Things change and it's ok to change with them. I've been asked so many times if Beto is a Republican or Democrat, and as soon as I say Democrat I get some variation of "I'm never voting for a Democrat! Texas is a RED state!" and it just makes me want to pull my hair out. 

5 minutes ago, austingirl said:

These posts give me hope. I voted for W twice. I was actually down at the capitol on election night in 2000 cheering for him. Fast forward to 2017 and I was at the women's march wearing a pussyhat I knitted myself. Things change and it's ok to change with them. I've been asked so many times if Beto is a Republican or Democrat, and as soon as I say Democrat I get some variation of "I'm never voting for a Democrat! Texas is a RED state!" and it just makes me want to pull my hair out. 

That reminds me.  I was down there in 2000 on election night too.  My second cousin(democrat) had scored tickets and gave them to me. My girl friend (now wife) was left leaning (voted Gore)but a corporate type went with me.  I was secretly routing for Bush but feigned being an impartial observer who just wanted to take it all in-after all this was really a once in  lifetime opportunity and I knew it was supposed to be close.

I was really shocked at the lack of diversity.  I remember thinking at the time that it looked aggy. But the more I looked back on it, the thing I really unnerved me was not the lack of diversity (after all this is Austin), but just how that not very diverse group looked. First, there were a large number of early to mid 20s types and there and a lot of dudes.  These guys did not have the young lawyer/CPA type look or frat guy going to an interview look about them-that casual relaxed wait and see with smooth demeanor type of thing.  Their hair was shorter and more uniform-quite a few buzz cuts.  Suits were cheaper than I was used to seeing from office guys (I had been a Big 6 guy for a few years).  They were intense-even early on in the evening when there were no surprises.  I remember feeling out of place and kind of ashamed-even intimidated even though everyone seemed nice enough and I received no stink eyes or anything.  I felt I just did not belong there with my thoughts and my open mind. Strange vibe.

The only other experience I could compare it to was when, back in 1993, I went to the Whole earth Provision Company down on Lamar during my lunch break and got my mom a gift certificate for mothers day.  There was a book store right next door, so I thought I would just go on in there and get a card while I was at it.  The place smelled a little funny and there were lots of off color and racy cards.  I kept looking intensely paying no mind to the other patrons.  For some reason there was huge card section for "sick friends"-like half the store-"that's unusual" I thought.  As I searched, I would see strange book titles (binder edge) with obvious sexual innuendos.  Finally, flustered, I made my way to the cashier for some help. The two guys holding hands in line in front of me really should have clued me in-nope.  I inquired of the cashier if they had any Mother's Day type of cards and she directed to this small section where we both looked for a bit but did not see anything that I would give my mom.  In frustration asked her what was up-Mother's day was coming and there were all these sick friend cards but nary a thing for mom.  As I asked the question it dawned on me that I was in a gay book store...and then she told me I was in a gay book store...and then I looked around..patrons were giving me that "poor fool" look...and then then no matter what I looked at it was all ...just gay.  I slowly backed out of the store thinking ...I do not belong here.

I told the story when I got back to the office and coworker's got a good laugh out of it, especially the gay ones.

TLDR: Election night 2000 was weird: I am clueless.

• Like 1

Just now, Larry T. Spider said:

I’m sure we will see tons of republicans trying to get away from their original “fuck em” stance now that it has become politically unpopular. Bitches.

They'll still try to use the kids as leverage to get the WALL.  The rest of the country shouldn't negotiate with terrorists.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

They'll still try to use the kids as leverage to get the WALL.  The rest of the country shouldn't negotiate with terrorists.

Lol wasn’t that floated last week by the House and Trump was on the South lawn saying he wouldn’t sign it? 

23 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

Only see Beto signs in my neighborhood (north dfw suburb). 

I had to detour through the Canyon Creek neighborhood in Richardson yesterday and it was also littered with Beto signs. 

I’m in HP and see only Beto signs. 

6 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I have said this before on surly, perhaps in this thread: I was in 8th grade when Reagan won in '80 and have been "republican" ever since.  I never really voted at except in a few school board type elections where it is not so much about the party affiliation.

Along the way, I listed to Rush and Sgt. Sam on KLBJ, especially back in the early/mid Clinton years-I was was pretty sore at Bush I losing back in '92.  Somewhere in the later Clinton years I got tired of their shtick-just too hateful and their extreme arguments would never stand up to any simple logic applied.  For the 2000 presidential election I wanted Bush to win but was OK with Gore-seemed like a descent enough guy.  Pulled for Bush in the post election FLorida debacle.

After 911 I went harder right, mostly because I thought Clinton had botched the missile raid on Bin Laden because he rushed it to deflect on the Lewinsky thing. 

Bush did some nutty stuff, but the thing I remember most was the gas and commodities price escalation-or rather an interesting explanation I heard from the right for the gas price increases-If you remember gas prices went through the roof in 2008 without a corresponding like increase in the price of oil. Demand for gas had a slight increase, there was some reduced refining capacity and the price of oil did go up-but none of those factors in total would have accounted for the increase.  As the questions got harder for the administration and the oil companies as profits soared , there was a lot of talk about demand and the markets adjusting to it as the reason.  This is when I called bullshit on the whole thing-as an oil company you don't get to charge 3 times as much for doing the same thing.  It was a fix, a bone thrown to the oil industry.  The analysis is more complicated than I am making it, but that is what turned me off of "conservative" talking points.

Then came the 2008 election, which should have been a landslide for Obama: Bad economy (with no cover for party in power), bad Republican VP candidate, beleaguered populace from unending and pretty sketchy war, gas prices, food prices, etc.  I came to the conclusion that there might be a racial problem. 

I was/am no fan of Obama.  In addition to ACA, I saw little hope and change.  If anything I saw a doubling down on Bush II doctrines.

So 2016 election would be wide open. I figured Hilary would get the D nod and hoped the republicans would get somebody good (a McKain or Romney type candidate would probably win easily).  I simply could not believe what I was watching as Trump surged and people got behind him.  Election night I went to bed early, thinking if the American people had any sense Hilary would be our president elect. I did not vote-it is Texas after all.

Which brings us to today. I voted for the first time in decades in the democratic primary.  In the midterms, I am voting for Beto and anybody else that has a D behind their name-not because I think they are any better than the others guys necessarily, but this madness must be stopped.  

Great post. One nitpick, the oil price spike in 2008 was due to declining non-OPEC production (pre-US shale revolution) and a rise in the middle class in India and China. Oil is a worldwide commodity based on worldwide production and consumption. Leading up to the great recession supply was not meeting the demand and the prices reflected it. Had shale completion technology advances not come along around 2008 we'd be in a similar situation now, if not way way worse.  In order for the Bush administration to artificially manipulate the price, they would have had to criminally manipulate the EIA figures that are released monthly, which I'm not aware ever happened. Other than that, prices are determined by private companies trading on supply/demand, similar to buying a stock. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Libs have been using kids as political props for years. Didn't hear you bitch once about it.

• Fuck You 8

15 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Libs have been using kids as political props for years. Didn't hear you bitch once about it.

And proto-fascists have been using browns as all-purpose bogeymen for decades.  Game on, fucker.  You get to play your fucking games demonizing people, STFU when the rest of the world decides to play by your rules.  It burns even more when they do so utilizing the truth.  Your own petard -- get hoisted on it.

Pretty amazing how we went from “we’re getting a wall and Mexico is gonna pay for it” to “look, we’ll let the toddler hostages go if Congress agrees to pay for the wall” in 18 months.

9 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Pretty amazing how we went from “we’re getting a wall and Mexico is gonna pay for it” to “look, we’ll let the toddler hostages go if Congress agrees to pay for the wall” in 18 months.

The progression is actually telling.  Taking hostages is the move of a desperate man.

We shouldn't negotiate with terrorists.  Let them own  everything they are doing now.  Everything.  And when it's done, we the people need to be the SWAT team with the greenlight at the ballot box, and come November....

200.gif

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

And proto-fascists have been using browns as all-purpose bogeymen for decades.  Game on, fucker.  You get to play your fucking games demonizing people, STFU when the rest of the world decides to play by your rules.  It burns even more when they do so utilizing the truth.  Your own petard -- get hoisted on it.

Please dude. You and every lib on this board are fucking hypocrites with your moral outrage. Own it. You didn't give a shit when Clinton signed the bill, you didn't give a shit when Bush and Obama did the same thing, now it's a problem because of your psychotic fascination with Trump. It's hilarious to see you snowflakes freak out now, when you stupid shits couldn't be bothered for the past 20 years. I mean I guess the saying is true without your double standards you'd have none at all, but that personally rings true for you.

Edited by HtownHorn

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Please dude. You and every lib on this thread are fucking hypocrites on this issue. Own it. You didn't give a shit when Clinton signed the bill, you didn't give a shit when Bush and Obama did the same thing, now it's a problem because of your psychotic fascination with Trump. It's hilarious to see you snowflakes freak out now, when you stupid shits couldn't be bothered for the past 20 years. I mean I guess the saying is true without your double standards you'd have none at all, but that personally rings true for you.

Game.  On.

And that you layer your position on top of a LIE about "they all did it" (fucking false  -- see Sessions' directive from two months ago, which was a CHANGE in policy), you're peak Trumpkin.  Lies, demonization of the other -- you've got the full cocktail!

You think that holding kids hostage for negotiation leverage is cool!  Own it!  Shout it from the rooftops!  Let the world and every voter in this country know EXACTLY what you stand for.

Election day.  Greenlight.  Fire at will.

• Like 2

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Please dude. You and every lib on this thread are fucking hypocrites on this issue. Own it. You didn't give a shit when Clinton signed the bill, you didn't give a shit when Bush and Obama did the same thing, now it's a problem because of your psychotic fascination with Trump. It's hilarious to see you snowflakes freak out now, when you stupid shits couldn't be bothered for the past 20 years. I mean I guess the saying is true without your double standards you'd have none at all, but that personally rings true for you.

Your side is morally bankrupt and has been for decades.

Congratulations on being awful.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The progression is actually telling.  Taking hostages is the move of a desperate man.

We shouldn't negotiate with terrorists.  Let them own  everything they are doing now.  Everything.  And when it's done, we the people need to be the SWAT team with the greenlight at the ballot box, and come November....

200.gif

Own what, fixing the mess the Democrats made. That's usually what happens.