Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

1 hour ago, tigol said:

It takes a while.  I got tired of the wait so I went to the local BETO HQ.  They should have shirts for sale (the one in Austin does), get one and be done with it.  It's better to check them out in person especially if you have tits.  The shirts are kinda grabby.  You might need an email to check out, but use the fake one.  Get a sticker for your ride while you're at it.

I bet trump shirts are really grabby on the tits. And the pussy.

In other news:

When: Wednesday, August 29
9:30 a.m. - 11 a.m. 
Hosts: Beto for Texas
Cedar Park Recreation Center (Cedar Park, TX)
1435 Main Street
Cedar ParkTX 78613

A combination of disdain for where I feel this country is headed and a spark from Beto finally got me to update my voter registration...I moved from Travis to Williamson county back in 2012 but never updated it as you have to *gasp* print and mail paperwork.

He’s got my vote, per that article I fall into the ‘really more of an independent with left-centrist views who never felt my vote was worth my time in this red state’.

Honestly I’m not sure I can ever vote republican in my life...it started with that tea party crap, grew worse as the party of no, and now I hear things daily on npr (and I’ll read Fox and others to stay balanced) that really make me question what this country is supposed to be regarding diversity, rights, science and technology, inclusion, the environment and overall world leadership.

I got asked by a grocery store clerk in Portland if I thought he’d win, that was back in June. And my wife’s cousin visited from DC and was counting Beto signs in Cedar Park. Fingers crossed because man I could really use someone to rally around for state politics to change.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Grandioso said:

I got to interview Beto for the Texas music radio show I volunteer with (and sometimes host/co-host). Because Beto is a campaigning machine, his campaigning manager gave me 7 minutes (!?!) to do a prerecorded interview on the phone. He talked about 25-30 minutes which I edited into a 3 part interview. We're a music show, 90% of the conversation is about Texas music and culture. Because the FCC prohibits boxing out one candidate in favor of another, e.g., selling ad time or giving access to only one side, I e-mailed Ted Cruz's site and invited him to talk about the same type of stuff. /still waiting for a response.

It was pretty impressive how many conservatives were triggered, even though (1) we had a giant preamble before playing the interview and epilogue after the interview about how our show does not endorse candidates or parties, (2) we are a super liberal peacenick community radio station, and (3) the interview was very light on politics.

Send me a direct message if you want a link to a recording.

The guy is amazing, his stamina and energy is over the top. Cruz is out of gas.

A combination of disdain for where I feel this country is headed and a spark from Beto finally got me to update my voter registration...I moved from Travis to Williamson county back in 2012 but never updated it as you have to *gasp* print and mail paperwork.

He’s got my vote, per that article I fall into the ‘really more of an independent with left-centrist views who never felt my vote was worth my time in this red state’.

Honestly I’m not sure I can ever vote republican in my life...it started with that tea party crap, grew worse as the party of no, and now I hear things daily on npr (and I’ll read Fox and others to stay balanced) that really make me question what this country is supposed to be regarding diversity, rights, science and technology, inclusion, the environment and overall world leadership.

I got asked by a grocery store clerk in Portland if I thought he’d win, that was back in June. And my wife’s cousin visited from DC and was counting Beto signs in Cedar Park. Fingers crossed because man I could really use someone to rally around for state politics to change.

I encourage you, as a Wilco voter, to learn about and hopefully support MJ Hegar for US House District 31. The incumbent, John Carter is a crusty Chamber or Commerce darling from Temple, TX.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Good stuff, man.  It's a statewide election.  Your vote counts.  This is different.  Show up and vote.

26 minutes ago, scottsins said:

I encourage you, as a Wilco voter, to learn about and hopefully support MJ Hegar for US House District 31. The incumbent, John Carter is a crusty Chamber or Commerce darling from Temple, TX.

I've donated to her campaign twice already. Probably throw more her way closer to the election. 

I can't remember but a friend said Wendy Davis had similar crowds/hype as Beto. Is that true or is this another level?

I'm starting to think he has a chance now but he'll need some really foul stuff to come out on Trump between now and election day. Maybe a N-word tape or some shit with Russia.

2 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

I can't remember but a friend said Wendy Davis had similar crowds/hype as Beto. Is that true or is this another level?

I'm starting to think he has a chance now but he'll need some really foul stuff to come out on Trump between now and election day. Maybe a N-word tape or some shit with Russia.

The bigger point with Beto is he’s getting these crowds in Luling and shit. Any D could get those crowds doing Aus, Hou, Dallas on loop. 

10 hours ago, F250 said:

What is going on with Lupe? How much is she dragging the entire ticket?

Not much, but "the ticket" is different from Beto. If Beto was running from inside the TDP system his campaign would be like hers.  The TDP is built to lose elections. Has been since the Early 90's.

26 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Davis seemed to peak with her filibuster and pink running shoes, and that was before she ran for governor.  I personally can't recall much energy or hope behind her campaign.   I'm sure she had some true believers had some decent sized crowds in the larger cities.

As for Trump, I know that some Cruz supporters are trying their hardest to position the race as conservative vs liberal and that Trump isn't on the ticket.  but saying that doesn't make it so.  Plenty of conservative Texans want Trump to shut up or stop, and voting Beto is one way to help accomplish it.   If the Trump loses the Senate, he's basically a lame duck Prez for the next 2 years.   

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Davis seemed to peak with her filibuster and pink running shoes, and that was before she ran for governor.  I personally can't recall much energy or hope behind her campaign.   I'm sure she had some true believers had some decent sized crowds in the larger cities.

As for Trump, I know that some Cruz supporters are trying their hardest to position the race as conservative vs liberal and that Trump isn't on the ticket.  but saying that doesn't make it so.  Plenty of conservative Texans want Trump to shut up or stop, and voting Beto is one way to help accomplish it.   If the Trump loses the Senate, he's basically a lame duck Prez for the next 2 years.   

If he loses the senate, he will be removed from office.

The long knives are starting to come out from Trumpkins that I know - of course the stuff about him being a former punk rocker, being arrested for B&E/DUI, but also some stuff about his father in law being a shady billionaire and some eminent domain scare tactics.  That means he's being successful IMO, they are terrified.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

No. Her signature win was a loss and she had Lupe Valdez campaign without the energy and coordination. 

The best thing Lupe has going for her is that Beto is running.  That said she'll be lucky to draw more than 40 percent of the vote.

51 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Long post reporting from the hinterlands.

I have family in the area, so I attended the Beto Town Halls in Port Lavaca and Edna yesterday.  The question and answer section felt like real democracy and was very inspiring.  The crowds were pretty diverse mix of old democrats, younger people, plant workers, a few trump voters, and independents.  So incredibly civil, honest, and respectful.  Watching the Question and Answer portions of his town halls online is worth it.  I had a lot of great conversations with small town folks, and that really humanized small town residents that I often pre-judge as trump rubes.  I feel Beto's strategy will work.  People feel ignored and forgotten. And they are sick of the negativity in politics. There are a lot of votes there.  As one of the local Democrat chairs told me: "there are plenty of registered voters here, they just haven't voted in 20 years."  And for good reason, there hasn't been a realistic chance of a dem winning in a long time.

One plant worker stood up and explained how he lost his job at Alcoa when it closed the plant due to China's policies on aluminum.  He admitted, with a tinge of embarrassment,  that he and many of his friend took a chance on Trump because he promised to go after China.  The guy just wants his job back, and he's angry that China took it.  That simple.  I think this is the case all over the state.  And I can't blame him.  Never mind that Alcoa poisoned the entire bay with Mercury, or that its a Superfund site, or that the huge bauxite piles spew red dust over everyone's houses. Good riddance to some of these companies.   I know those jobs are likely never coming back. But i feel for him.  Beto was empathetic, explained that we need to engage China with the help of our allies in Europe, Canada and Mexico for it work. And we need to so carefully so we don't hurt others in the community like farmers.  That goes a long way in communities like Port Lavaca. And word gets around.

Two 18 year old, first time voters drove down from Houston.  A couple parents pulled there kids from school to attend.  A couple progressive local millennials  trying to find how they can reach their single issue voter peers.

Another guy had a question about tax credit exemptions for homeschooling.  Beto heard his point, and admitted he had not consider that angle to the issue, and wanted to think about it more and reach out to the guy later via email. 

He is the Antithesis of Trump or Cruz.  Humble, honest, civil, funny, relatable, empathetic, genuine, and smooth without appearing slick.  On a question about ending our perpetual wars, he intimated that there is no sexy or happy answer and that it needs to be up to congress to use all resources and experiences to craft a strategy.  He asks the people what they care about and want, and learns from these town halls to improve as a candidate and representative. That's how it is supposed to work.  He hasn't taken PAC money in several years and zero on this campaign.  He is on the VA Committee in the House because its important and he cares about vets, while his peers rush to committee positions that will bring in that flood of PAC money from the Energy and Big Pharma sector.  And he said he would come back to the community as senator and be held accountable.  No pre-screening of questions, no hiding in safe spaces with only his supporters. No negativity towards Cruz or Trump.  He goes into the Reddest areas of the state because they are still Texans and shouldn't be ignored.

Last bit, I went to ask him a question after the Edna Town Halls about Harvey relief, a staffer knocked over her Whataburger iced tea, and spilled it on the floor.  He paused, like he was hosting a party in his own kitchen, grabbed napkins and helped her clean it up.  Then he apologized for the interruption and finished answering the question.  It was the most natural and real thing.  His staffer emailed me more information later that night in case I needed better defined talking points.

Born and raised Texan. I love living here and will probably die here. That being said I'll be totally disgusted with this state if we choose the weasel over this decent human being.

Edited by Bruh Man
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Was just reading a Facebook comment on one of the Beto townhall videos. A Republican wanted to vote for him but did not know how to split a ticket. The “voting culture” or lack thereof, is a wreck in Texas.

Straight ticket voting goes away in Texas in 2020.  Makes you wonder if Beto wins whether the GOP won’t see that as a larger threat and correct their mistake.   They will realize that some republicans crossed the aisle to vote for Beto. 

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Straight ticket voting goes away in Texas in 2020.  Makes you wonder if Beto wins whether the GOP won’t see that as a larger threat and correct their mistake.   They will realize that some republicans crossed the aisle to vote for Beto. 

Why would republicans ever decide to do that? They are probably convinced “a buncha dumb blacks” just go in there and hit the D button and walk out way more often that rural olds hit the R button. They are wrong and it will hurt them. 

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:

I have family in the area, so I attended the Beto Town Halls in Port Lavaca and Edna yesterday.  The question and answer section felt like real democracy and was very inspiring.  The crowds were pretty diverse mix of old democrats, younger people, plant workers, a few trump voters, and independents.  So incredibly civil, honest, and respectful.  Watching the Question and Answer portions of his town halls online is worth it.  I had a lot of great conversations with small town folks, and that really humanized small town residents that I often pre-judge as trump rubes.  I feel Beto's strategy will work.  People feel ignored and forgotten. And they are sick of the negativity in politics. There are a lot of votes there.  As one of the local Democrat chairs told me: "there are plenty of registered voters here, they just haven't voted in 20 years."  And for good reason, there hasn't been a realistic chance of a dem winning in a long time.

One plant worker stood up and explained how he lost his job at Alcoa when it closed the plant due to China's policies on aluminum.  He admitted, with a tinge of embarrassment,  that he and many of his friend took a chance on Trump because he promised to go after China.  The guy just wants his job back, and he's angry that China took it.  That simple.  I think this is the case all over the state.  And I can't blame him.  Never mind that Alcoa poisoned the entire bay with Mercury, or that its a Superfund site, or that the huge bauxite piles spew red dust over everyone's houses. Good riddance to some of these companies.   I know those jobs are likely never coming back. But i feel for him.  Beto was empathetic, explained that we need to engage China with the help of our allies in Europe, Canada and Mexico for it work. And we need to so carefully so we don't hurt others in the community like farmers.  That goes a long way in communities like Port Lavaca. And word gets around.

Two 18 year old, first time voters drove down from Houston.  A couple parents pulled there kids from school to attend.  A couple progressive local millennials  trying to find how they can reach their single issue voter peers.

Another guy had a question about tax credit exemptions for homeschooling.  Beto heard his point, and admitted he had not consider that angle to the issue, and wanted to think about it more and reach out to the guy later via email. 

He is the Antithesis of Trump or Cruz.  Humble, honest, civil, funny, relatable, empathetic, genuine, and smooth without appearing slick.  On a question about ending our perpetual wars, he intimated that there is no sexy or happy answer and that it needs to be up to congress to use all resources and experiences to craft a strategy.  He asks the people what they care about and want, and learns from these town halls to improve as a candidate and representative. That's how it is supposed to work.  He hasn't taken PAC money in several years and zero on this campaign.  He is on the VA Committee in the House because its important and he cares about vets, while his peers rush to committee positions that will bring in that flood of PAC money from the Energy and Big Pharma sector.  And he said he would come back to the community as senator and be held accountable.  No pre-screening of questions, no hiding in safe spaces with only his supporters. No negativity towards Cruz or Trump.  He goes into the Reddest areas of the state because they are still Texans and shouldn't be ignored.

Last bit, I went to ask him a question after the Edna Town Halls about Harvey relief, a staffer knocked over her Whataburger iced tea, and spilled it on the floor.  He paused, like he was hosting a party in his own kitchen, grabbed napkins and helped her clean it up.  Then he apologized for the interruption and finished answering the question.  It was the most natural and real thing.  His staffer emailed me more information later that night in case I needed better defined talking points.

Good post.  This is all i want from an elected official.  Listen.  Be decent.  Show up.  Help people with their problems

And I would bet almost anything that Beto actually will respond to the guy. Multiple times even.

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:

on the comment about not prescreening, not hiding (and no negativity - he doesn't even refer to Cruz or Trump directly), engaging the opposition - i read the Austin Chronicle interview between O'Rourke and Ethan Hawke recently, and he describes a San Antonio town hall where they invited the opposition in, let them have the first question, and then afterwards the guy went up and gave O'Rourke his card.  I was there, that was exactly how that happened, Beto didn't mention that half the crew were also open carrying.  No eye batted.  That's actually why I remember the guy going up and giving him his card - i perked up when he was approaching Beto but it was all civility.

https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2018-08-17/beto-o-rourke-and-ethan-hawke-in-conversation/

1 hour ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Why would republicans ever decide to do that? They are probably convinced “a buncha dumb blacks” just go in there and hit the D button and walk out way more often that rural olds hit the R button. They are wrong and it will hurt them. 

They passed the ban on straight ticket voting because they saw the numbers that more dems vote than way than republicans. 

55 minutes ago, ERhine said:

Just made another Beto donation.  Actblue is extremely easy to use, took me about ten seconds to donate a second time.  

Act blue is genius and a way for small donors like many of us to band together and make a difference. I have made my first ever donations to a politician to Beto with it. I’m going to give to MJ Hegar using it and it will take me less than 10 seconds. It’s almost dangerous how simple it is. 

• Like 1