Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

on the comment about not prescreening, not hiding (and no negativity - he doesn't even refer to Cruz or Trump directly), engaging the opposition - i read the Austin Chronicle interview between O'Rourke and Ethan Hawke recently, and he describes a San Antonio town hall where they invited the opposition in, let them have the first question, and then afterwards the guy went up and gave O'Rourke his card.  I was there, that was exactly how that happened, Beto didn't mention that half the crew were also open carrying.  No eye batted.  That's actually why I remember the guy going up and giving him his card - i perked up when he was approaching Beto but it was all civility.
https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2018-08-17/beto-o-rourke-and-ethan-hawke-in-conversation/

It’s inclusive every time. I like it. Everyone is welcome; Texas leads on issues-what’s your idea.

Kurt Warner re-tweeted it too. He's about to get the name recognition he's been needing. I'm sure Cruz will find a way to twist his words and make it into an ad. This topic seems to be the get out of jail card for republicans these days.

Edited by Bruh Man

Just made another Beto donation.  Actblue is extremely easy to use, took me about ten seconds to donate a second time.  

We will clear our goal which is not a small number and enough to get him there for our fundraiser using actblue.

I’m sure you guys already posted this, but DAMN

Hope FL an find a Beto

He speaks, citing a litany of actual names and places, like another young democrat I can vaguely recall from a decade ago who went into some pretty lofty positions within the government.

• Like 1

Talking about NFL & anthem is a tough subject.   For those that feel immediate emotion against the kneeling, it's tough to get them to listen to reason or understand why the players are feeling.  All they see are spoiled, over-paid athletes refusing to honor military veterans.  They can't get past that.

But even if the issue could help Cruz more, Beto has to take on the questions and issues.   Not all issues have one answer that makes everyone happy.   I do think he needs to acknowledge that he understands why people are upset with the kneeling.  Perhaps he can also have some ideas on how we can ALL move forward.

18 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Talking about NFL & anthem is a tough subject.   For those that feel immediate emotion against the kneeling, it's tough to get them to listen to reason ...

It's always been that way for folks bucking a tradition over some moral/political objection.  It's a self defense mechanism of the herd mentality.  The symbolic act is seen as a fuck you to the tribe.  The tribe/herd won't condone the act, so they certainly aren't going to listen to the actor's grievances.  Same dynamic plays out with flag burnings and other acts of protest.

8 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

Kurt Warner re-tweeted it too. He's about to get the name recognition he's been needing. I'm sure Cruz will find a way to twist his words and make it into an ad. This topic seems to be the get out of jail card for republicans these days.

Steve Kerr and a number of other NBAers retweeted it too. Alyssa Milano too. 

Not that any of that really matters but the national attention it's received certainly can't hurt Beto. 

Edited by Jograves

One of my high school friends who went on to a military academy, came up through the 82nd Airborne, and is still serving today also posted it with his own commentary. 

My comments: this is an opinion issue with no right or wrong answer. However, before we state for certain was is “disrespectful to the flag,” we should review ‘4 USC 8: Respect for flag.’

Also my comments: U.S. service members do not have anymore ‘right’ to the flag than any other American. Do I dislike the kneeling? Yes. Do I feel it is disrespectful to me? No. Is it disrespectful to our flag? No more so than anyone in the stands wearing a hat, talking on their phone, eating, or drinking while the Anthem is played. Oh yeah... check out ‘36 U.S. Code § 301 - National Anthem’...the operative word is ‘should’...not ‘shall.’

• Like 4

7 hours ago, troph said:

He’s a lot like obama in his thoughtfulness on issues. Maybe even better.

Dump the "maybe."  He's a lot better.  Honestly, about the best I've seen in my lifetime.

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

It’s going to feel really good to vote FOR someone, as opposed to just against someone else.

So much this.

His ad ran again last night, while my wife and I had the news on.  We'd just been talking about his town halls, and his approach to EVERYONE.  We just watched the ad, quiet.  It ended, and all I could muster was "goddamit, I really like this guy."

Maybe it's the contrast between his style of leadership and representation, and the style that's in power right now.  But man, it struck me.  My kingdom for a government of men like Beto.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Maximus retweeted it... as did Commissioner Gordon.  Tons of players are retweeting it.  This is a moment for him.  His visibility and donations will skyrocket.

these are the types of moments that turn elections. beto is going to win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Talking about NFL & anthem is a tough subject.   For those that feel immediate emotion against the kneeling, it's tough to get them to listen to reason or understand why the players are feeling.  All they see are spoiled, over-paid athletes refusing to honor military veterans.  They can't get past that.

But even if the issue could help Cruz more, Beto has to take on the questions and issues.   Not all issues have one answer that makes everyone happy.   I do think he needs to acknowledge that he understands why people are upset with the kneeling.  Perhaps he can also have some ideas on how we can ALL move forward.

Let's be real the overwhelming majority are upset because black people are bucking the system. They were never going to vote for Beto. If anything this will help with the brothas and sistas in Dallas and Houston.

1 minute ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I think that this will help with name recognition and donations. I’m not sure it helps him get more votes. This issue is a loser in Texas even though I completely agree with Beto. 

Its tough because it resonates most with the voters Beto is trying to reach out to.  In rural Texas, the military is a huge source of pride because it is something anyone can do to get on the straight and narrow regardless of your grades, and have everyone be proud of you for, in a world surrounded by very few opportunities to do so.  Anything that even comes close to slighting that is going to be a negative.  At the same time, Beto has been engaging with these people directly and showing he is planning on representing them.  It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

I think that this will help with name recognition and donations. I’m not sure it helps him get more votes. This issue is a loser in Texas even though I completely agree with Beto. 
I think the poster that mentioned earlier how the people who get really fired up about the kneeling were already going to be turning out for Cruz because ® is correct. On that flip side, it will help him make a connection with the sizable black communities in Houston and Dallas and will really help with name recognition and exposure with younger voters see this go viral online.

I just don't think it is going to motivate a whole lot of Cruz voters that weren't already gonna be there, but provides an opportunity to make big gains. Helps more than hurts overall.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I think the poster that mentioned earlier how the people who get really fired up about the kneeling were already going to be turning out for Cruz because ® is correct. On that flip side, it will help him make a connection with the sizable black communities in Houston and Dallas and will really help with name recognition and exposure with younger voters see this go viral online.

I just don't think it is going to motivate a whole lot of Cruz voters that weren't already gonna be there, but provides an opportunity to make big gains. Helps more than hurts overall.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yeah, there are definitely people who will respond negatively to that answer, but none of them were ever going to vote for Beto in the first place.  I can't imagine a scenario where that answer pushes away anyone who was on the fence, though. 

• Like 1

Its tough because it resonates most with the voters Beto is trying to reach out to.  In rural Texas, the military is a huge source of pride because it is something anyone can do to get on the straight and narrow regardless of your grades, and have everyone be proud of you for, in a world surrounded by very few opportunities to do so.  Anything that even comes close to slighting that is going to be a negative.  At the same time, Beto has been engaging with these people directly and showing he is planning on representing them.  It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

And he’s going into those communities and listening to the parents of those service members. He’s put VA services as a top priority during his time in the House. Nearly doubled the number of psychiatrist at the VA hospital in his district.
The empathy is palpable. Your kids are fighting and returning and not being taken care of. I’m fighting to fix that. I’ve already improved the situation but must keep fighting.

I met a small town waitress Monday and we discussed her son joining the marines for a long time. She asked about my Beto shirt. Just casually discussing his work with the VA was enough to get her hyped up to vote. “I’m sick of all the bickering and ugliness and rah rah politics. I just want my boy taken care of when he comes back”
The way to connect with a lot of Texans who don’t typically vote or are casual voters is to hone in on the one or two topics they care about and show that you also care and won’t forget them.

Beto’s track record on veterans issues is stellar.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Dump the "maybe."  He's a lot better.  Honestly, about the best I've seen in my lifetime.

So much this.

His ad ran again last night, while my wife and I had the news on.  We'd just been talking about his town halls, and his approach to EVERYONE.  We just watched the ad, quiet.  It ended, and all I could muster was "goddamit, I really like this guy."

Maybe it's the contrast between his style of leadership and representation, and the style that's in power right now.  But man, it struck me.  My kingdom for a government of men like Beto.

that's what i find so disgusting with your stance on our future. that you can listen to a man like Beto and then do the same with a coward like donald trump and believe that, in the end, everything that the latter stands for will prevail.

you've lost faith in the notion that good will (eventually) prevail over evil.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

that's what i find so disgusting with your stance on our future. that you can listen to a man like Beto and then do the same with a coward like donald trump and believe that, in the end, everything that the latter stands for will prevail.

you've lost faith in the notion that good will (eventually) prevail over evil.

raw

• Like 1

Down in Ft. Stockton today for a hearing so decided to take a few minutes to drive some streets looking for yard signs. Saw a half dozen blue/white Pete Gallego signs and another half dozen Will Hurd signs. One of the Will Hurd yards also had a Ted Cruz sign, first one I’ve seen anywhere. No Beto signs to be seen. Beto needs to step up his yard sign game if he hopes to win the crucial Ft Stockton market! 😁

Actually, my overall take was that the place isn’t exactly fired up politically (had to drive a lot of streets to find even one sign) and the bigger statewide races aren’t drawing any passion at the moment. Also, holy shit is Will Hurd’s district huge. I had no idea. 

Was following his livestream of his drive yesterday. Decided to ask a few questions to see if they get through and they did:

Debates-Still trying to work with the Cruz campaign to not to have it on Friday nights. Wants families to see the debate so that they can make an informed decision.

Last book he read-a book about the fall of the Roman Republic under Caesar and then mentioned the Taylor Branch book that was mentioned in the viral video