Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

46 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

that's what i find so disgusting with your stance on our future. that you can listen to a man like Beto and then do the same with a coward like donald trump and believe that, in the end, everything that the latter stands for will prevail.

you've lost faith in the notion that good will (eventually) prevail over evil.

Find it disgusting all you want.

I just don't mistake hope and optimism for likelihood.

I like Beto.  Hearing his voice and approach gives me hope.  But I still think he's going to lose.  And I think his approach is going to lose in most places where it's tried.  That doesn't make me like him any less, or want to hold him up as an example of the way we SHOULD be doing things any less.  But I've been watching our performance as a people lately -- damned right I don't have much faith in us making the right choice.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Find it disgusting all you want.

I just don't mistake hope and optimism for likelihood.

I like Beto.  Hearing his voice and approach gives me hope.  But I still think he's going to lose.  And I think his approach is going to lose in most places where it's tried.  That doesn't make me like him any less, or want to hold him up as an example of the way we SHOULD be doing things any less.  But I've been watching our performance as a people lately -- damned right I don't have much faith in us making the right choice.

if that is his only "moment" then i agree with you. But if he keeps having "moments" like that, he going to win. You see it. Trust yourself. Right now, Beto is capturing the imagination of the entire nation. He is HOPE personified. He can win. And you know it.

Here we go.  That viral tweet is the moment Beto needed to get his name known across the country. The national media will finally wake up and take notice. 
All eyes will be on Texas now. Beto vs. Cruz. A good man vs. a spineless weasel. The stakes couldn't be higher.  

And it started with a Cruz attack.

Beto has been masterful at redirecting the attacks to his advantage. “Whataburger liberal?” Yep we love Whataburger. /Proceeds to skateboard around the Parking lot.

That’s how you beat this fucker.

That GQ article was interesting regarding Cruz. He’s trying to be funny and genuine and he’s terrible at it. It keeps backfiring. He’s like someone on the spectrum rehearsing to be sociable and funny.
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

he certainly might lose. but he is proof positive that the approach you've tossed out as futile (being honest, showing integrity, not shouting down others and willfully spreading untruths, etc.) resonates with people and is a viable political strategy. 

you have said yourself that there is no room for Beto's approach to campaigning and politics. the (rationale) people of Texas seem to think otherwise.

Hey.... he made Sports Illustrated.  Everyone from Steve Schmidt to Padma Lakshmi are retweeting this.  You don't get many moments in any career, and certainly political careers, he needs to take full advantage of this one.  Wendy Davis couldn't, can Beto?  Is Texas ready to give hope to rest of the country?

Betcha he gets on Ellen..... Then he gets all the women....

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Hey.... he made Sports Illustrated.  Everyone from Steve Schmidt to Padma Lakshmi are retweeting this.  You don't get many moments in any career, and certainly political careers, he needs to take full advantage of this one.  Wendy Davis couldn't, can Beto?  Is Texas ready to give hope to rest of the country?

Betcha he gets on Ellen..... Then he gets all the women....

So Beto is going to be on Ellen at some point? Cool.

8 minutes ago, Calihorn said:

So Beto is going to be on Ellen at some point? Cool.

He needs to avoid that shit.  Don't do the late night shows, don't do Ellen, don't do The Daily Show, don't do Colbert. 

FOCUSNESS

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He needs to avoid that shit.  Don't do the late night shows, don't do Ellen, don't do The Daily Show, don't do Colbert. 

FOCUSNESS

I basically believe this because associating with the librul elite will get under the collars of many Texan, but at the same time I think Trump is a testament to there's no such thing as bad press.  Q rating = votes.

4 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Yep, he can send an invite for them to come to one of his rally's but not as a speaker.

Exactly.  Tell all of those shows and even Fox News that he would love to have them join him in ___________(small town) so they can also learn about average Texans.  

But whatever he does, he shouldn't want to become the point person on the anthem kneeling.  There is only so much upside to talking about that issue when you believe the players should do what they think is best.

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Exactly.  Tell all of those shows and even Fox News that he would love to have them join him in ___________(small town) so they can also learn about average Texans.  

But whatever he does, he shouldn't want to become the point person on the anthem kneeling.  There is only so much upside to talking about that issue when you believe the players should do what they think is best.

Agreed.  And Ted wants him to be on the liberal talk shows/late night shows.  He wants that so bad, to use as Beto being out of touch.  Inviting them to whatever small town event he's having is genius.

Just now, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

whats the deal with the reversal of shots when he is in the car?  i've seen multiple where the steering wheel is on the right.

Never used an iphone before? Front facing camera always flips everything.

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:

And it started with a Cruz attack.

Beto has been masterful at redirecting the attacks to his advantage. “Whataburger liberal?” Yep we love Whataburger. /Proceeds to skateboard around the Parking lot.

That’s how you beat this fucker.

That GQ article was interesting regarding Cruz. He’s trying to be funny and genuine and he’s terrible at it. It keeps backfiring. He’s like someone on the spectrum rehearsing to be sociable and funny.

Beto is handling those opportunities as deftly as possible.  Really well done.

As for the bolded part, that's exactly correct.  He's a born unlikable asshole.  And that's not just how you act -- it's WHO YOU ARE.  I know I've related this story before, but several years ago, I bought a new pair of boots at the Allen's Boots on Congress (been buying boots there for 30 years).  The newly-elected Senator Ted Cruz has my same size -- he was trying on some ostrich skin boots right next to me.  As I tried on my black calfskin boots, I made a stage-whisper aside to my dad -- "See, boots like these look good anywhere, even DC -- you gotta be careful with a hide like ostrich, those DC folks won't know what to think" (or some lame crack like that -- it wasn't high comedy, but it was worth a smile).  I've engaged with plenty of politicians before, including Senators and Governors.  Every one of them had a board sense of humor, and chuckled even if the joke was on them.  Ted didn't even crack a smile.  He just stared at me, as if he was truly incapable of real human engagement or humor.  Which is actually true.  

Ted doesn't know how to be a decent, genuine human being because he ISN'T ONE.  And nothing can turn him into one.  Beto just needs to keep being Beto, and let Ted be Ted.

43 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

All of this, too.  Beto needs to let those folks know he'd be glad to have them join him at a townhall in La Grange or whatnot.  And he'll be happy to talk about serving all the people of Texas when he becomes Senator.  You can even ride with us to the next town....I hope you don't mind Whataburger from the drive-thru for dinner.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

All of this, too.  Beto needs to let those folks know he'd be glad to have them join him at a townhall in La Grange or whatnot.  And he'll be happy to talk about serving all the people of Texas when he becomes Senator.  You can even ride with us to the next town....I hope you don't mind Whataburger from the drive-thru for dinner.

Someone in the Beto camp (Troph?), get this info to him.

6 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

When did the NATIONAL ANTHEM become about honoring military veterans? It is the NATIONAL ANTHEM, not the military anthem or the veteran anthem. It is about our NATION, not military. It is about each and everyone of us, not just the military. It is about being a patriot, not a soldier. It is about all of the freedoms and rights we have in this nation and celebrating our way of life, not about the service of the military. The National Anthem is a celebration of America, including but not limited to the military. When a player kneels, he isnt disrespecting the military, as pointed out above the Anthem has nothing to do with the military specifically, instead he is silently and peacefully protesting that the rights and freedoms enjoyed in our great Nation by some are not enjoyed by all and that needs to change. There is zero disrespect in this form of protest.

hell yes.

• Like 1

49-45 Cruz but 56-37 Abbott.

I definitely mentioned a decent # of Abbott/Beto voters who are happy with how things are in Texas but sick of DC and Ted

Registered voters and 36% unsure/haven't heard of Beto.

Edited by Js1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I’ve gotten three different texts about three different things from the Beto campaign in past two days.  They are ramping things up. 

Received 2 in the past week meant for someone else unless I got a sex and name change without knowing it. I donated to the campaigned but don't want to be harassed. 

Edited by Washpark

1 minute ago, Washpark said:

Received 2 in the past week meant for someone else unless I got a sex and name change without knowing it. I donated to the campaigned but don't want to be harassed. 

Once I responded back "Yes! Voting for Beto!" I haven't been contacted again except to sign up for a sticker.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Hopefully Beto doesn't become too distracted by this one issue.  I don't think it's a core issue that he has presented but rather he was only answering a question.

It shouldn't be a political issue at all, but Trump made it one.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

4.5 MM last midterm senate election, so about 178k if the same number vote.

About 60% of Texans vote in midterms as the last presidential race. 9 million voted in 2016. 65% is typical in other states so that is possible if there is a high Democratic turnout.

Edited by RayDog

35 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

registered voters instead of likely voters.  interesting.  beto might already be in the lead given turnout projections.

Funny thing about that in a kinda-similar situation.

Marquette came out with a poll in Wisconsin of the Senate and gubernatorial races there.  When you screened for likely voters, the Republican (Vukmir) did better in the Senate election, but the Republican (Walker) did worse in the gubernatorial election.  The obvious conclusion is that there are a lot of likely voters who are splitting their ballots--voting for a Republican for Senate but against Scott Walker for governor.

I don't know, but I think it's an interesting hypothesis that likely voters--which tend in midterm elections to be more educated--are more likely to split their ticket.  And in Texas, that would necessarily work to Beto's advantage.