Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

Beto will win the 18-35 female vote because his policies are compassionate, humane, well thought out and he expresses them with passion. He’s attractive not because he’s good looking, he’s attractive because of all of it. Men who have their eyes set on a prize that includes brining others with them - i.e. real leadership - produce feelings that aren’t always rational but that doesn’t mean rationality isn’t part of it.

I think the guy is very attractive mostly because of the above not because I think a overstated crooked nose is handsome. if he was an egotistical male corporate lawyer talking down to me on a deal I’d think he was a cocksucker shitstain.

He becomes handsome because of his ideas, his intelligence, his thoughtfulness and his genuine approach in his pursuit of a goal - to make Texas and our country better for all. The fact that it includes a sexual energy component is just human or at least for those that can be or are attracted to men.

What’s interesting to me is that both the intelligence and appearance really work for men in an almost synergistic way. I don’t know if it works that way for women. Smart girls who look super hot have a helluva time being taken seriously and smart girls that aren’t attractive don’t become attractive when they speak. I don’t know the magic formula for women to catch the wave like Beto. Who is the female rock star politician that everyone fawns all over? I don’t know of one.

Beto will win the 18-35 female vote because his policies are compassionate, humane, well thought out and he expresses them with passion. He’s attractive not because he’s good looking, he’s attractive because of all of it. Men who have their eyes set on a prize that includes brining others with them - i.e. real leadership - produce feelings that aren’t always rational but that doesn’t mean rationality isn’t part of it.

I think the guy is very attractive mostly because of the above not because I think a overstated crooked nose is handsome. if he was an egotistical male corporate lawyer talking down to me on a deal I’d think he was a cocksucker shitstain.

He becomes handsome because of his ideas, his intelligence, his thoughtfulness and his genuine approach in his pursuit of a goal - to make Texas and our country better for all. The fact that it includes a sexual energy component is just human or at least for those that can be or are attracted to men.

What’s interesting to me is that both the intelligence and appearance really work for men in an almost synergistic way. I don’t know if it works that way for women. Smart girls who look super hot have a helluva time being taken seriously and smart girls that aren’t attractive don’t become attractive when they speak. I don’t know the magic formula for women to catch the wave like Beto. Who is the female rock star politician that everyone fawns all over? I don’t know of one.

Interesting post. I always wondered about the stories of women just fawning over JFK. IMO, the attraction had a lot to do with his conduct and charisma, and not objective appearance.

Interesting post. I always wondered about the stories of women just fawning over JFK. IMO, the attraction had a lot to do with his conduct and charisma, and not objective appearance.

On the other end of the spectrum, with women’s appearance, my wife runs into that a lot. Like people walk up, look at her and demand to speak to the “actual pharmacist”. They just assume she is some hot, vapid ACC technician chick.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scottsins said:

Well, that and the fact that his family was very, very wealthy.  Money is a force multiplier, yo.

• Like 1

On the other end of the spectrum, with women’s appearance, my wife runs into that a lot. Like people walk up, look at her and demand to speak to the “actual pharmacist”. They just assume she is some hot, vapid ACC technician chick.

I have stories on both sides. It’s actually the hardest part of my transition. I mean really fucking hard. I’m trying to figure out how to be both - reasonably attractive - and intelligent - and be recognized as both - and it doesn’t totally work. I get sidelined some, I’m a bitch some, and I don’t get the added bump from charisma some. Previously I could find the place where I easily got credit for all three and it was something I took for granted.

Money is another one. Women with their own money aren’t viewed like men with money.

The list of differential treatment between the sexes/genders is actually kinda long.

Anyway back to the fuckability of Beto and his lanky/boney appearance.

Hope Hicks.  Or Tomi Lahren.

Are they running for elected office? I’m talking about those seeking power positions requiring a vote of the electorate. That’s another sticky thing - men are expected to seek power so it’s okay. Women? Not so much.

11 hours ago, troph said:

Happy to pick up the torch here if you are finished phone banking.

HRC Austin has solid equipment and software to make it easy and we have a south Lamar location and about 4-5 dates for phone banking. Same deal ... must love teh gays, trannies and POCs and be okay being the minority in the room for a change. But my homie in charge makes it a good fucking time. If you are interested PM me.

PM Sent

Oh FYI our phone banking is equality specific so while we overlap with all issues like immigration etc we call equality voters and encourage them to vote to ensure lgbtq equality advances. That’s the only other qualifying aspect of our phone banks. Consider us an affiliate (not legally) of the campaign so to speak.

I know you virtue-signaling  "Cruz is icky" Beto fanboys won't care, but this shit is eventually going to catch up with your handsome candidate once it gets statewide exposure and people start paying attention outside of Austin and Highland Park. 

Also the Chuck Schumer preferred policy positions, but the debates will eventually fix that. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/texas/article/Police-reports-detail-Beto-O-Rourke-s-1998-13195088.php

Police reports detail Beto O’Rourke’s 1998 DWI arrest

Kevin Diaz  Aug. 30, 2018 Updated: Aug. 30, 2018 7:21 p.m.

WASHINGTON - U.S. Rep. Beto O’Rourke has long owned up to his drunken driving arrest 20 years ago, describing it in a Houston Chronicle/San Antonio Express-News op-ed piece earlier this week as a “serious mistake for which there is no excuse.”

Although the arrest has been public knowledge, police reports of the September 1998 incident - when the Democratic Senate candidate had just turned 26 - show that it was a more serious threat to public safety than has previously been reported.

State and local police reports obtained by the Chronicle and Express-News show that O’Rourke was driving drunk at what a witness called “a high rate of speed” in a 75 mph zone on Interstate 10 about a mile from the New Mexico border. He lost control and hit a truck, sending his car careening across the center median into oncoming lanes. The witness, who stopped at the scene, later told police that O’Rourke had tried to drive away from the scene.

O’Rourke recorded a 0.136 and 0.134 on police breathalyzers, well above the legal limit of 0.08 in Texas. He was arrested at the scene and charged with DWI, but completed a court-approved diversion program and had the charges dismissed.

In a statement Thursday, O’Rourke did not address the witness account of his alleged attempt to flee.

"I drove drunk and was arrested for a DWI in 1998,” O’Rourke said. “As I've publicly discussed over the last 20 years, I made a serious mistake for which there is no excuse."

That and a separate arrest for jumping a fence at a University of Texas-El Paso facility have long been a matter of record in O’Rourke’s public life, both on the El Paso City Council and in Congress. But the unexplained details of the crash and DWI in Anthony, a suburb about 20 miles north of El Paso that borders New Mexico, could now emerge as a potential attack point in his quest to unseat Texas Republican Ted Cruz.

The Cruz campaign declined to comment Thursday on the police report. Recent pollshave shown the two candidates in an ever-tightening race, with O’Rourke enjoying a large fundraising advantage built on small dollar donations. O’Rourke has also disavowed money from political action committees, giving his longshot bid the aura of a grassroots campaign free of special interest influence.

Neither arrest has factored significantly into O’Rourke’s political career, though both were used against him in his successful 2012 campaign against former El Paso Congressman Silvestre Reyes in a predominantly Hispanic district.

O’Rourke has long characterized the incidents as youthful indiscretions in which he showed “poor judgement.”

To some extent, he has sought to leverage them to advantage. After a recent tour of the Harris County Jail with Sheriff Ed Gonzalez, O’Rourke cited his own scrapes with the law as part of a plea for criminal justice reform.

“Those mistakes did not ultimately define me or stop me from what I wanted to do in my life or how I wanted to contribute to the success of my family and my community,” he wrote in the op-ed piece, which was published Monday.

The law enforcement reports show two elements of the incident that have been overlooked: that there was a crash involved, and that O’Rourke allegedly attempted to flee.

Though no injuries were reported, an ambulance was called to the scene.

A Texas Department of Public Safety report on the incident was based on a motorist’s description of O’Rourke’s dark-colored Volvo passing him quickly about 3 a.m. on I-10. The Anthony Police Department and DPS reports differ as to whether O’Rourke was heading east or west on the interstate, but both agree that he struck a truck going in the same direction and crossed a grassy median into the opposite lanes.

Police said O’Rourke then attempted to leave the scene but was stopped by the same motorist he had just passed. The unidentified motorist “then turned on his overhead lights to warn oncoming traffic and to try to get the defendant (O’Rourke) to stop,” the report says.

The DPS report described O’Rourke as having “glossy” eyes, slurred speech, smelling of liquor, and almost falling to the ground as he got out of his car.

The accident occurred just as O’Rourke, the son of an El Paso County Judge, had celebrated his 26th birthday the night before. He told police he’d had two beers and had been on cold medication. He later told the El Paso Times that he was driving an intoxicated friend home, though no passenger is mentioned in the police reports.

At the time - still seven years before he first ran for city council in 2005 - O’Rourke was starting up an internet and software company in El Paso. Police reports listed his occupation as “salesman.”

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, scottsins said:

Way to sneak in a humble brag. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I know you virtue-signaling  "Cruz is icky" Beto fanboys won't care, but this shit is eventually going to catch up with your handsome candidate once it gets statewide exposure and people start paying attention outside of Austin and Highland Park. 

Also the Chuck Schumer preferred policy positions, but the debates will eventually fix that. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/texas/article/Police-reports-detail-Beto-O-Rourke-s-1998-13195088.php

This will not have any effect whatsoever on the election.

Edited by David Dennison

Nevermind that Ted Cruz campaigned for a political opponent who called him and his wife ugly (lolz), perpetuated conspiracy theories about him and his family, AND Ted still supports trump vocally. Yeah, I'm sure a DUI from 20 years ago that Beto has fully owned up to and has meaningfully changed his behavior to ensure it never happens again is gonna sink him. Although the GOP really shouldn't start bringing up the past with respect to candidates because Trump's past is ugly. Bigly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

Hope Hicks.  Or Tomi Lahren.

Not politics, but the closest I can recall to a woman being given the synergistic credit for being attractive/hot and smart/respected-for-prowess, was pre-melt-down Marissa Mayer when she went from Google wunderkind to Yahoo CEO

5 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Also, can we throw "virtue signaling" on the dustbin of political jargon along with "cuck" and "ilk" and all the other bullshit buzzwords people on the right use to try and make themselves feel smarter than they are?  

Great.  Thanks.

I think we should throw them "under the bus".

"Under the bus." he he he, always makes me laugh.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, troph said:

The DWI is an issue. No doubt. Doesn’t mean he will lose. He’s handled it correctly. The fact it happened can’t be changed.

This.  A DUI is serious, but its significance must be weighed in the context of how he lived the rest of his life.   W also had an old DWI that his voters forgave, and that was reasonable given that he became sober and had a clean record thereafter.   I see no indication that Beto's service as a Senator would be affected in any negative way by the things associated with a DUI.  To the contrary — he's taken some great lessons from the privilege he's had to put his life back on track. 

13 hours ago, RayDog said:

In the 26 largest counties with 75% of the voters Republicans won by 332,590 votes in 2012, but the Democrats won by 262,992 votes in 2016. The Libertarian vote increased by 161,147 votes at the same time representing potential swing voters. Statewide the Libertarian vote went up about 195,000. If you look at actual data Democrats have made inroads.

In the 228 smaller counties the Republicans won by 929,129 votes in 2012 and 1070171 votes in 2016 a 141,042 improvement.

Based on linearly extending the simple 2012 to 2016 trend and assuming a 60% midterm turnout for both parties the Democrats would win the big counties by 559,543 votes. A 60% decrease in smaller county turnout from 2016 would give the Republicans a 642,102 vote advantage there for a net win of 82,559 votes statewide. This is before factoring in what the swing Libertarian vote does, or if there is a blue wave, or that 10% of Republicans have abandoned the party, and many other bad trends for the Republicans.

A recent poll put Cruz's support in rural areas at 66%, when the R advantage in the 228 smallest counties was 72.5% in 2012 and 74.6% in 2016. If Cruz only has 66% support in the 228 smallest counties, not all of which is rural by the way, he only wins them by 443,205, once again assuming a 60% turnout by both sides.

I am starting to think there is a realistic possibility that Beto will have a 800,000 to a million vote advantage in the 26 biggest counties, and the rural vote will be unable to make up the difference. That comes to a 6 to 10 point win.

I am hoping that this will lead the Democrats to victory in the Lt. Governor and Attorney General races, along with flipping 3-5 US congressional seats. It is regrettable that the Democrats failed to run a decent candidate for Governor, because Beto's blue wave might have pulled a good candidate across the line.

Another interesting analysis is how many more people overall vote in Texas districts won by a R representative.   In 2016, if a congressional district was won by a R, about 260K people voted overall in that race.  for either the R, D or I.   In districts won by the Dem, only 178K people voted.    Recipe for disaster in statewide election.

In 2014, Beto won his race with only 73K people voting.   Lamar Smith (R) won his race by about the same percentage as Beto but 188K voted.  The Dem party in Texas seemed to have decided that they know they will easily win 11 House races and don't attempt to improve their statewide totals.    The attitude seems to be "We don't need a gotv drive in Beto, Castro or SJL's district because they're going to win."     Those are the districts you need to run up the score if you want to win statewide.

Can Beto convince people in Dem districts to actually show up?   Or will their apathy help Cruz win again?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Conservative media seem to be thinking this is the end of Beto.

I don’t think it’s that bad but it’s certainly not good, as there’s a perception now that he wasn’t completed honest and forthright about the details of the offense.

Unfortunately for Beto, in running a statewide campaign in Texas as a Democrat, he already started with almost zero margin for error...

2 hours ago, scottsins said:

nicely done

• Fuck You 1

46 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Virtue-signaling? What the fuck does that even mean? 

like when a sorority girl adopts a black baby to signal she's not racist.

Anyhow, the DWI is a non event.  I can But Bush, But Obama, and But Trump you to death with shit that is worse than a DWI.  

2 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I hesitate to even report this on a message board, but some conservative poster in my circle of FB friends has been very insistent with claims that Beto has taken PAC mone in this cycle. If proven true that could be much more harmful to his campaign than the details of his DWI. 

He’s only two klicks away from running a child sex trafficking ring out of the basement of the Alamo, a shrine to insurgent forces. 

3 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I hesitate to even report this on a message board, but some conservative poster in my circle of FB friends has been very insistent with claims that Beto has taken PAC mone in this cycle. If proven true that could be much more harmful to his campaign than the details of his DWI. 

If he's taking PAC money he would be a fool for saying otherwise because it's fully reported to the FEC.  Or is the claim that he's taking cash under the table?

7 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Well if it’s on Facebook it must be true.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If he's taking PAC money he would be a fool for saying otherwise because it's fully reported to the FEC.  Or is the claim that he's taking cash under the table?

Can't remember but the dude was on hostile terrain and nobody challenged him. Then again, nobody supported him either. It's just making me a little bit queasy. He was so confident, and not in a Swam way. He posted it on a thread with people who run in a pretty fast pack and it was not dismissed out of hand. 

That would be incredibly dumb for O'Rourke's campaign given all of that is publicly reported to the FEC. It is almost certainly not true for that reason. But that does not stop Republicans these days, if anything it encourages them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just now, gmr548 said:

That would be incredibly dumb for O'Rourke's campaign given all of that is publicly reported to the FEC. It is almost certainly not true for that reason. But that does not stop Republicans these days, if anything it encourages them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Probably laying the groundwork for some obfuscation on the issue...my best guess. 

hoo boy, the gop bootlickers are out in force today. 

wtf is near intoxication manslaughter? because I pull out, is that a near abortion? wtf kind of argument is that?

this is a losing argument from a loser campaign. I mean, they may still win, but they're still loser. Ted Cruz is a fucking loser.

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Let me guess...you were totally cool voting for a recovering alcoholic in George W. Bush and his wife who killed someone drinking and driving, but now you'll draw the line with a Democrat who once admittedly screwed up.

Go figure.

6 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

DWI from 20 years ago will not move the needle in 2018. In W's day, it was more scandalous probably. 

Oh but you are wrong.  The Republican influence machine can make anything an issue if they work really hard at it.

Just ask Elizabeth Warren about her heritage. 

The only people it will move the needle with are bothsider douchebags and the intellectually challenged, so most of Texas. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz