Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

^^^^ Did you get the drift from maybe the tenor of your fundraiser, either off Beto, his crew or your attendees?  

I think people are tired of both the mudslinging and big money.  I think they are coming to Beto's side because they are seeing he is the real deal. 

The majority of politicians are like Cruz.  No platform, so they go negative.  It is human nature to belittle your opponent when you feel you can't rise to their level.  I think a lot of people recognize a good thing when they see it and they are stepping up and into line.    It is just not that often good things like true statesmen come along.  

I have a darker fear for this race, but I won't put it out there. 

• Like 1

Parkland survivor and gun control activist David Hogg has teamed up with the liberal Mad Dog PAC to raise thousands of dollars for an anti-Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) billboard in Texas.

GoFundMe page organized by Hogg and Claude Taylor, the chairman of Mad Dog, topped its $6,000 fundraising goal, raising nearly $10,000 in less than 24 hours.

“President Donald Trump will be campaigning to help Sen. Ted Cruz win his re-election,” the page reads. “A rally is being planned, according to Trump ‘at the biggest stadium in Texas.’ We are planning to display the presidents own words about Cruz from 2016 on a mobile billboard, to remind Texans of the truth.”

• Like 1

^^^^ Did you get the drift from maybe the tenor of your fundraiser, either off Beto, his crew or your attendees?  
I think people are tired of both the mudslinging and big money.  I think they are coming to Beto's side because they are seeing he is the real deal. 
The majority of politicians are like Cruz.  No platform, so they go negative.  It is human nature to belittle your opponent when you feel you can't rise to their level.  I think a lot of people recognize a good thing when they see it and they are stepping up and into line.    It is just not that often good things like true statesmen come along.  
I have a darker fear for this race, but I won't put it out there. 

I think his campaign has been brilliant but his success is just as much about Cruz mistakes. Now Cruz is going to start blitzing with ad spends and we all know negative historically works. We also know Beto won’t go negative, again I like that. BUT someone has to fight back. They need someone but Texas has no one with name recognition that can do that. It will be interesting - a real dogfight and I do think Cruz will get some traction with the negatives at least with his base and the impressionables who beg for a reason to vote R.

I hate to admit this but I will be voting in my first midterms this November. I have turned out for all Presidential elections since 1996 but never had the desire to vote in the midterms. Honestly the republican grip on state politics made me believe my vote wouldnt matter in the slightest....and the reality is I was right. I dont care if it matters now. I am going to go out and vote anyway.  I moved recently and in the past I wouldnt do the work beforehand to change my voter reg card. Everything has been mailed in with time to spare. 

• Like 8

C7E55CFF-972D-485A-9455-D7502F1BBE02_zps

Supporters of Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) have been deluged by signs for challenger Beto O’Rourke and are furious at his campaign for mismanaging the situation, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

According to the paper, Beto’s distinctive black-and-white yards signs have “seemingly dominated the landscape” in the state.

Cruz’s signs are rarely spotted, and his supporters are reportedly “increasingly agitated,” partly because Cruz’s campaign refuses to provide his supporters with signs.

At a recent rally, a member of the State Republican Executive Committee confronted Cruz about the signs.

“The one question I get asked universally, everywhere is, ‘We’re seeing signs that say ‘[Beto]’ in our neighbors’ yards, and we want to claim our territory and have your signs in our yards,’” the man, Mike McCloskey, asked Cruz. “I think people here are wanting those. What can we do to get those in the hands of the folks that want to have them in their yard?”

Cruz’s campaign manager, Jeff Roe, reportedly has “an aversion to yard signs” and prefers other means of reaching voters.

Beto signs are popping up in traditionally conservative neighborhoods, which has freaked out Cruz supporters enough for the subject to come up at Republican meetings and events across the state.

“Last week, at a GOP gathering in Salado, a small, community halfway between Waco and Austin, attendees distributed a bulletin that highlighted all the O’Rourke signs popping up in conservative neighborhoods,” the Star-tribune wrote. “A speaker urged patience among local Republicans on the lack of Cruz signs, telling the relieved crowd that she was working with a local printer on getting legal clearance to print their own local Cruz campaign signs and that the campaign would purchase more signs in the coming weeks.”

Read the full report here.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/09/ted-cruzs-supporters-surrounded-beto-yard-signs-theye-freaking-raging-campaign-report/

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Again, if you want Beto to have an outside attack dog not connected to the Beto campaign, this is what that looks like.

Avenatti is a good choice 

I don't think Beto wants or needs an outside attack dog not connected to his campaign. If the goal is to get Beto elected, this is counterproductive IMO.

40 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I don't think Beto wants or needs an outside attack dog not connected to his campaign. If the goal is to get Beto elected, this is counterproductive IMO.

Agreed.  If Beto loses by 1 or 2 points (or wins by 1 or 2 points), there's going to be a lot of MMQBing about what could have been the difference.

42 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Maybe Avanetti is a double agent; pretending to not be a good republican to hurt Beto because he’s really a good republican. It’s got all the romanticism of a Bond film.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Supporters of Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) have been deluged by signs for challenger Beto O’Rourke and are furious at his campaign for mismanaging the situation, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

According to the paper, Beto’s distinctive black-and-white yards signs have “seemingly dominated the landscape” in the state.

Cruz’s signs are rarely spotted, and his supporters are reportedly “increasingly agitated,” partly because Cruz’s campaign refuses to provide his supporters with signs.

At a recent rally, a member of the State Republican Executive Committee confronted Cruz about the signs.

“The one question I get asked universally, everywhere is, ‘We’re seeing signs that say ‘[Beto]’ in our neighbors’ yards, and we want to claim our territory and have your signs in our yards,’” the man, Mike McCloskey, asked Cruz. “I think people here are wanting those. What can we do to get those in the hands of the folks that want to have them in their yard?”

Cruz’s campaign manager, Jeff Roe, reportedly has “an aversion to yard signs” and prefers other means of reaching voters.

Beto signs are popping up in traditionally conservative neighborhoods, which has freaked out Cruz supporters enough for the subject to come up at Republican meetings and events across the state.

“Last week, at a GOP gathering in Salado, a small, community halfway between Waco and Austin, attendees distributed a bulletin that highlighted all the O’Rourke signs popping up in conservative neighborhoods,” the Star-tribune wrote. “A speaker urged patience among local Republicans on the lack of Cruz signs, telling the relieved crowd that she was working with a local printer on getting legal clearance to print their own local Cruz campaign signs and that the campaign would purchase more signs in the coming weeks.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/09/ted-cruzs-supporters-surrounded-beto-yard-signs-theye-freaking-raging-campaign-report/

Can you imagine wanting to announce to your neighborhood that you like Ted Cruz

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Meme material:

1) If he can't produce yard signs, how can he produce in DC?   Oh, wait, he doesn't.

2) Why send someone to DC who can't get you a sign for your yard? 

I'm pretty lame at this, I am sure there are better ones out there.

I also figure there is fodder in using the fact that all he went to were BBQ places during his little tour.  Something about lack of variety.   Probably got a nice campaign donation from the proprietors...tax deductible of course.  Be nice to have list of all of them, so I can avoid them. 

http://newsletter.thecrosstab.com/issues/the-crosstab-weekly-newsletter-september-2-2018-can-beto-win-google-fake-news-what-if-hillary-had-gone-to-wisconsin-132717

more of the same "possible still not incredibly likely but it's definitely something that this is even close".  data science guy from the economist

Edited by Celery Man

10 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I'm pretty lame at this, I am sure there are better ones out there.

I also figure there is fodder in using the fact that all he went to were BBQ places during his little tour.  Something about lack of variety.   Probably got a nice campaign donation from the proprietors...tax deductible of course.  Be nice to have list of all of them, so I can avoid them. 

compare this article tweeted by Cruz

https://www.westernjournal.com/cruz-shuts-heckler/

in which Cruz is heckled by some dumbass Beto supporter about guns and responds with (basically) "see, the libruls want to take your guns" (headline: Cruz Shuts Down Anti-Gun Heckler with Clever Comparison" - still not sure where he said anything clever)

with this, which happened exactly as is described in SA:
https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2018-08-17/beto-o-rourke-and-ethan-hawke-in-conversation/

The way we are running this campaign, at least, we are trying to do that. We've been now to every one of the 254 Texas counties. We go to some of the reddest places on the planet – and this won't surprise you – but they are just as kind and warm and welcoming as they are in the bluest places in Texas. In some cases it's clear they're not going to vote for me. I was in Paducah, Texas, and there were some folks out on the courthouse steps protesting my visit, but we invited them in to the town hall and said, "Hey, come in. We want to hear from you. You ask the first question and let's have a conversation."

Same thing in San Antonio, there were some folks who were kind of holding a counter rally and we just invited them into our town hall, and at first some of the folks at our town hall were kind of booing them, and we said, "Hey, no, no, no. Let's have a conversation." And this one guy who had come to oppose me said, "I'm here because you're trying to take my guns away." And I said, "I'm not. I want universal background checks, which I think are reasonable, and on this issue of assault weapons, I don't think we should be selling more weapons of war, that are just designed to kill people, into our community, and you think differently than I do. And that's OK. We can agree to disagree on this one. But if you have an AR-15, keep it. I don't want to take anyone's guns away from them." So he came up to me after the town hall and he gave me his card and said, "Hey, let's keep the conversation going, because I think I've heard the worst about you but it sounds like you have a pretty reasonable position on this."

So I think if we don't write people off and we don't take them for granted, we're just going to do a whole lot better.

Edited by Celery Man

On 9/1/2018 at 6:41 AM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Taken outside Caldwell by a friend of a friend. 

40358112_2128152590550616_64827578806330

i know exactly where that is, and there is not 1, but, wait for it... 4 signs there..

see google map streetview link below.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2175461,-97.1125049,3a,60y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svT9qFyLjQxdaCLkfqtOqsA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by yoladu

32 minutes ago, yoladu said:

i know exactly where that is, and there is not 1, but, wait for it... 4 signs there..

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2175461,-97.1125049,3a,60y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svT9qFyLjQxdaCLkfqtOqsA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I believe I gassed up at least once at "The Whoop Stop".

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

it's like sundown town signs for gays

Edited by Bozo_Casanova