Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

In that article about the Cruz yard signs -

I’m going out on a limb and assuming that Cruz supporter was using the phrase “conservative neighborhood” for “white neighborhood”.

And I know a lot of y’all think the yard signs are irrelevant but I truly believe it meant something in the Jones/Moore senate race here.

I started posting here about the prevalence of Jones signs here and how I had never, ever seen so much outward support for a Democrat in my neighborhood or city.

We had a big turnout of people who usually don’t vote and they felt part of a movement in that race. And I think those are the people who felt compelled to put out a yard sign as a way of saying “I’m tired of the usual bullshit and here’s my declaration”.

I’m not saying more yard signs for Beto = Beto victory. But I think it’s a sign that people who don’t usually bother to vote - especially in midterms - are joining the fight.

Good luck to y’all! If we can do it in Alabama, y’all can do it in Texas.

(Plus Beto is just dreamy! I want him to run for president in 2020 so I can get the honor of supporting and voting for him.)

• Like 5

https://act.betofortexas.com/event/action/13994

As we enter the final weeks of the election, we need to get on the same page about the work we have to do to win. The Plan to Win Tour is a series of regional volunteer trainings where we’ll walk through our campaign strategy and pathway to victory in detail.

Whether you’ve been hard at work for months or are just getting involved for the first time, join us at Plan to Win Austin to talk through our strategy and the role that volunteers have to play in helping Beto win.

We will break out into groups to make action plans for our own communities, have the opportunity to immediately participate in voter contact work, and leave with specific next steps on how every Texan can get to work to elect Beto as early voting approaches.

(Please note: Beto will not be in attendance)

When:Saturday, September 15
2 p.m. - 5 p.m.

I really don’t remember this stuff from Cruz back in 2012.  He really feels unorganized. 

I got this email today:

What happens in Texas this November will have a tremendous impact on the rest of the country.

The Senate majority hangs in the balance. Texas is now a battleground state. But in order to win, we need all hands on deck to contact voters between October 8 and Election Day on November 6.

That’s why we’re inviting you to join our program, “Come Back to Texas,” during the final sprint of our campaign. Thousands of volunteers are joining together in the largest ‘get out the vote’ campaign in Texas history.

If that’s something you might want to be part of, please fill out the form here.

[/Quote]

I live in DC now but had expressed interest in volunteering. Click on the link and the expectation is to sign up for at least a week full time. I'm not sure if I can do that but others will. I'm impressed by the action email too and that they recognized I'm from Texas. Not sure I selected that. Wife and I plan to at least organize a regular phone bank of Texan ex pats up here.

He's going to win this thing.

19 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

In that article about the Cruz yard signs -

I’m going out on a limb and assuming that Cruz supporter was using the phrase “conservative neighborhood” for “white neighborhood”.

And I know a lot of y’all think the yard signs are irrelevant but I truly believe it meant something in the Jones/Moore senate race here.

I started posting here about the prevalence of Jones signs here and how I had never, ever seen so much outward support for a Democrat in my neighborhood or city.

We had a big turnout of people who usually don’t vote and they felt part of a movement in that race. And I think those are the people who felt compelled to put out a yard sign as a way of saying “I’m tired of the usual bullshit and here’s my declaration”.

I’m not saying more yard signs for Beto = Beto victory. But I think it’s a sign that people who don’t usually bother to vote - especially in midterms - are joining the fight.

Good luck to y’all! If we can do it in Alabama, y’all can do it in Texas.

(Plus Beto is just dreamy! I want him to run for president in 2020 so I can get the honor of supporting and voting for him.)

I put up a Beto sign in March. I was alone until about June.   Now, there are at least 15 in my neighborhood ( which went red during the last election) and several more in the adjoining neighborhoods.  Ted Cruz sign popped up yesterday a few houses down.  I'm guessing the guy got sick of seeing Beto signs on 5 of the 6 houses leading up to mine as he drove in. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Celery Man said:

http://newsletter.thecrosstab.com/issues/the-crosstab-weekly-newsletter-september-2-2018-can-beto-win-google-fake-news-what-if-hillary-had-gone-to-wisconsin-132717

more of the same "possible still not incredibly likely but it's definitely something that this is even close".  data science guy from the economist

Let’s talk about voter turnout in Texas. The statewide voting-aged population is a mixed bag, made up of 45% White, 37% Hispanic, 11% Black, and 6% Asian/other residents, according to projections from the Center for American Progress. On its face, the majority-minority status of the state indicates that Democrats, who have an edge among non-white voters, would prosper in the state. Obviously, that’s not the case. This is because the actual electorate is much redder, made up of 61% White, 21% Hispanic, 13% Black, and 5% Asian voters according again to the CAP. Notably, the share of white voters was down 2% in 2016 compared to 2012.

Damnit, go vote people. The demographics are already there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

What would Cruz do outside of politics?

It's probably earlier in this thread, but somebody posted a quote regarding Cruz along the lines of "Cruz looks like the kind of guy that would be the lookout for a gangbang."

He really does.

He probably doesn’t have the same motivation as 2012.  In 2012 he thought he was on the path to becoming the next Reagan by 2016.  Now he likely realizes he will never be President and probably doesn’t give much of a shit about “just” being a Senator.

For quite a few years all you had to do was have the R by your name to get elected. He never really had a challenge and got humiliated by both the R-leadership and on the national circuit.

On 9/2/2018 at 9:33 AM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The billboard is a fine idea, but can you imagine if some anonymous PAC started robo calling rural texans with greatest hits audio clips of Trump putting down Lying Ted Cruz and various quotes from the debates. I honestly think a lot of Trumpin heads would explode in confusion.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

The billboard is a fine idea, but can you imagine if some anonymous PAC started robo calling rural texans with greatest hits audio clips of Trump putting down Lying Ted Cruz and various quotes from the debates. I honestly think a lot of Trumpin heads would explode in confusion.

If Trumpkins vote, they’ll still vote for Rs. 

Just now, pyrohornIII said:

My 16 yo son would disagree.  I think maybe TC is afraid if kids were to hear Beto, they might encourage their parents to listen to Beto.  Then to really think about the person who is going to help mold their futures. 

BTW my son attended both a Beto rally and a grassroots organization meeting.  He didn't really have much to say until after seeing Beto personally.

It's dumb for a bunch of adults to act like babies about the F-word, but specifically speaking for myself, I wouldn't want my elementary age kids hearing that. But then again, are elementary age kids going to rallies? It's all young adults and adults, right? Asking for a friend who has never been to a political rally of any sort, not even a campus/student election event.

More effective would be robocalling with Ted Cruz's " Trump is a pathological liar" rant.
  • Like 1