Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

I really don't get the strategy of having Ted Cruz repeatedly @ Beto and use his name in his tweets. He is giving free publicity to the guy who very much needs better name recognition. O'Rourke is improving that on his own but why is Cruz helping? What a terrible campaign he's running.

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I really don't get the strategy of having Ted Cruz repeatedly @ Beto and use his name in his tweets. He is giving free publicity to the guy who very much needs better name recognition. O'Rourke is improving that on his own but why is Cruz helping? What a terrible campaign he's running.

Same.  I think it is the worst thing he could be doing.  HOWEVA, I bet the calculus is that he sees Beto's war chest and knows that come November name recognition won't be an issue so he is not going to avoid addressing him directly on a fruitless question of hoping enough people aren't familiar with him.

14 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Welp if I'm Beto I've got a new campaign slogan

I'm Beto ORourke and I show the fuck up 

Beto: “Do you think Davy Crockett told Santa Anna to copulate yourself henceforth?  Or to put it in terms you understand, did the Dutch name streets after Leo Major because he was a nice guy?”

6 hours ago, Message Board User said:

6 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

Tough as Texas or get out the fainting couch? 

This actually makes a lot of sense since I'm pretty sure the only adults who take offense to naughty words turn out to be serial killers.

4 minutes ago, Stilicho said:

The football board is 1000x worse than the politics board.

Let that sink in for a moment.  

Then take another shot of vodka.

All  I get out of this is that Trump is going to be our next football coach.

Sure, fuck it.  The universe has to find new and different ways to suck, I admire its creativity.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sure, fuck it.  The universe has to find new and different ways to suck, I admire its creativity.

Listen.  We can both be on the same ledge.  You with your bourbon and me with my $6 vodka.  Life sort of kicks you in the balls in that respect.

But the multiverse... that's where it's at Brisket.

Edited by Stilicho
$5 vodka.

This is why I think Beto will probably win: I've always had a theory that the most successful politicians are the ones who master the dominant communication medium of their time. The founders were all great writers, because in those days most people got their news about government from the written word. Roosevelt was the first to grasp radio: He knew that he was talking to six or eight people sitting in their living room, not shouting at 40,000 people in Yankee Stadium. John F. Kennedy was the first one to truly take advantage of the power of television, and he was better at it than anyone has been since. Reagan was quite good, of course, but nobody was as good as Kennedy. Which brings us to Beto.  Beto has grasped and truly taken advantage of social media at a time when social media is becoming ascendant. His social media game is 10 times that of Cruz at the moment.  Given that the amount of money that each is able to bring to bear on the election is roughly the same,  my guess is that Beto is going to win. 

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign
  • Like 4

Things will be status quo until the debates. Ted will come with the old time conservative favorites, Beto will lay out a common sense constructive platform. Those with more than 4 functioning brain cells will pay attention to his message. I'd love to see the live focus group responses during the debates. I'm confident they will trend Beto. 

His Ellen appearance is going to be huge, but let's hope he doesn't get sucked down the National Anthem rabbit hole because of it.

Edited by RPM

7 hours ago, Tom said:

Supposedly the Collin County Young Republicans are showing their support for Ted Cruz here.  

Strange....I can count on one hand the people in that photo without white hair.

This may be the first proof that someone at a ted Cruz rally can smile but I know we’re holding out for someone smiling while he is actually talking.

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Trump just wants to pet the rabbit, and the rabbit is symbolic of his base. 

Wait, no, Trump is Curley and Lennie is his base. 

Edited by atomheartbevo

9 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

This is why I think Beto will probably win: I've always had a theory that the most successful politicians are the ones who master the dominant communication medium of their time. The founders were all great writers, because in those days most people got their news about government from the written word. Roosevelt was the first to grasp radio: He knew that he was talking to six or eight people sitting in their living room, not shouting at 40,000 people in Yankee Stadium. John F. Kennedy was the first one to truly take advantage of the power of television, and he was better at it than anyone has been since. Reagan was quite good, of course, but nobody was as good as Kennedy. Which brings us to Beto.  Beto has grasped and truly taken advantage of social media at a time when social media is becoming ascendant. His social media game is 10 times that of Cruz at the moment.  Given that the amount of money that each is able to bring to bear on the election is roughly the same,  my guess is that Beto is going to win. 

But at the same time, Beto is reaching out over phones, an old technology.  I’m averaging multiple text messages every week about upcoming events or reminders for early voting or training for GOTV. 

This campaign will make for an interesting book. 

It's dumb for a bunch of adults to act like babies about the F-word, but specifically speaking for myself, I wouldn't want my elementary age kids hearing that. But then again, are elementary age kids going to rallies? It's all young adults and adults, right? Asking for a friend who has never been to a political rally of any sort, not even a campus/student election event.

1. Uh Potus, on TV etc

2. Like that’s the first time kids are exposed to the F bomb. What the fuck, weak sauce

37 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

1. Uh Potus, on TV etc

2. Like that’s the first time kids are exposed to the F bomb. What the fuck, weak sauce

I think he is playing on the casual dropping of the F bomb as an indicator of the perceived continuing collapse of moral values in our country.  Same thing as with the kneeling issue.  It's all targeted at the olds.  To plant anger and fear in them.  And he figures it's a double whammy, since Beto is actually dropping those bombs. 

These are simple things that people with small brains can grasp onto.  Anything like discussion around gun control or immigration reform won't fly, because discussion has been erased from their set of solutions, replaced by ignoring and stonewalling.  It is all about change and pandering to those who have seen the most, who want to point to anything negative that has happened in their lives and say "change did this!  change is bad!  I support Cruz because he is going to reverse all this change!"  Same goes for Trump, it's the basis of MAGA. 

I don't care for the F bomb, though i use it very often.  It has surely lost a lot of it's clout as a shock factor.  The old idiom about using too much profanity shows your lack of a plentiful lexicon has some truth to it.  But that is a debate for another day.  Maybe we need a thread on creative cursing?  I bet surly could be a gold mine for that!

Beto's use of it now and then and Cruz's attack of it as evil are just another indication of how polar they are, as are their bases.

29 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I think he is playing on the casual dropping of the F bomb as an indicator of the perceived continuing collapse of moral values in our country.  Same thing as with the kneeling issue.  It's all targeted at the olds.  To plant anger and fear in them.  And he figures it's a double whammy, since Beto is actually dropping those bombs. 

But it's incredibly stupid, since Cruz needs Trump to campaign for him, and Trump has dropped plenty of F-bombs at rallies/speeches, and plenty of Trump supporters are not only openly dropping them, but wearing it on their shirts.

17 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

But it's incredibly stupid, since Cruz needs Trump to campaign for him, and Trump has dropped plenty of F-bombs at rallies/speeches, and plenty of Trump supporters are not only openly dropping them, but wearing it on their shirts.

To be clear, I absolutely would not go to a Trump rally (or think about taking my kids to one). That would be like taking your kids to the infield of the Kentucky Derby or something. No thanks.

And I get it-- I sometimes use the F-word too-- but I don't around my children and though I know they are going to be subject to it in 3rd grade or whatever it is these days, I'd rather not be a party to it. 

But like I said, this is likely a moot point because who in general thinks it's a good idea to bring kids to a political rally? Probably people who don't care that their kids watch YouTube videos for 10 hours a day with questionable language.