Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

mith: We won't know if it's about the state's changing demographics unless we see who votes. Democrats have not been particularly good at turning out their voters over the last several election cycles. Unless they turn it around this time, changing demographics don't matter. Said another way, an emerging Hispanic majority only has political impact if those in that emerging majority make their voices heard at the ballot box. I think it's mostly about O'Rourke's overperformance relative to expectations. He is a talented, charismatic and empathetic campaigner -- seemingly the best at this of any Democrat to run statewide since Ann Richards. It's also about the moment politically in this country, which is why there are other races in play, congressional and legislative, that normally wouldn't be.

The thing that scares Republicans the most about Texas is that they know once the line has been crossed and a Democrat can win a statewide election, there's no going back. This state is getting bluer by the day. Texas is going to become California in terms of electoral politics.

Edited by David Dennison

11 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The thing that scares Republicans the most about Texas is that they know once the line has been crossed and a Democrat can win a statewide election, there's no going back. This state is getting bluer by the day. Texas is going to become California in terms of electoral politics.

Its why the state is gerrymandered to all hell. 

Eh, I love to cuss. I cuss in my posts here and I cuss in real life.

Not at work but I do in front of and sometimes AT my kids. Clutch your pearls, fellas!

Now they’re 16 and 20 years old now and I didn’t cuss around them when they were little.

But sometimes with a mouthy teenager a good “fuck off” or “quit being an asshole” gets the message across.

Frankly, I don’t trust a man or woman who doesn’t throw a good cussing around every now and again.

This bitch thinks Beto is fucking awesome!

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Not at work but I do in front of and sometimes AT my kids. Clutch your pearls, fellas!

Now they’re 16 and 20 years old now and I didn’t cuss around them when they were little.

But sometimes with a mouthy teenager a good “fuck off” or “quit being an asshole” gets the message across.

Frankly, I don’t trust a man or woman who doesn’t throw a good cussing around every now and again.

I was raised amongst oilfield trash.  "Fuck" was one of the NICER things they'd say.  Sumbitch was a term of endearment.  Sheeeit was a regular feature of speech.  Fuck was used as every part of speech imaginable.

These were boot-wearing, oil-stained, hard-ass-working motherfucking Texans.  They worked harder coming home from a single shift than Ted Cruz has worked in his whole life.  That nancy can kiss my motherfucking ass.

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Gross

no offense. Variety is the spice of life and all

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, Born to Run said:

1. Uh Potus, on TV etc

2. Like that’s the first time kids are exposed to the F bomb. What the fuck, weak sauce

Yeah no shit.  The first time I got caught cussing by an adult was in 3rd grade, because me and my best friend recorded a tape full of cuss words and 3rd grade level dirty jokes on the tape recorder in the classroom, and our teacher overheard us.  That was in the 1970's in a tiny town surrounded by cotton fields on the south plains of Texas.  Before social media, before the internet, hell, before cable.  All of my friends routinely cussed when we didn't think we would get caught.

If you are worried about your kid hearing cuss words, and he's older than 3, you are simply closing the stable door after the horse has done bolted.  Good luck.

Edited by NameAlreadyInUse

54 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Ted Cruz took months to answer Beto's initial request for a debate, then offered 5 Friday night debates but refused to return calls to Beto's team or discuss the terms at all.  They have yet to agree to debate.

It was rhetorical. He was just asking questions.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That's an important reason why the GOP has to keep Texas very red for statewide elections through 2020.  They lose the 2020 elections statewide, the gerrymandering will switch back to Dem control for the next 10 years.

That is why Dems need to win the Lt. Governor and AG now.

By 2020 the shifts to Democrats in suburban areas of Texas may lead to a reverse gerrymandering effect.

15 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

What does gerrymandering have to do with LtGov and AG?

The LtGov has some control of legislation in the Senate, and can hopefully fight fora fair map.. The AG would have to defend racial gerrymandering  in court.

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So Cruz's strategy was to take words out of context from a video that went viral just last week and had over 40 million views in a few days?  Bold strategy Cotton.

He's trying to rile up the base and it will probably work. Republican voters have zero problem with the GOP lying, cheating or playing dirty. They are not held to the same standard as liberals.

It's a fucking disgrace. 

They were more recent statements from last Friday. He was asked if he supported kneeling during the anthem, if he would support flag burning. Beto gave a defense of his support for kneeling, a longer version of the one that went viral. Cruz camps response is basically he should have answered the question so it's okay for them to assume he was defending flag burning.

So Cruz's strategy was to take words out of context from a video that went viral just last week and had over 40 million views in a few days?  Bold strategy Cotton.

2 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

They were more recent statements from last Friday. He was asked if he supported kneeling during the anthem, if he would support flag burning. Beto gave a defense of his support for kneeling, a longer version of the one that went viral. Cruz camps response is basically he should have answered the question so it's okay for them to assume he was defending flag burning.

Defending flag burning and defending the right to burn the flag are two different things. Same with kneeling. Its downright un-American to make them stand if they dont want to whether you agree with kneeling or not. 

Defending flag burning and defending the right to burn the flag are two different things. Same with kneeling. Its downright un-American to make them stand if they dont want to whether you agree with kneeling or not. 
Agree with you but Beto wasn't even defending the right to burn a flag. He was defending his defense of kneeling. If there s any inference there it's "hey these kneelers have an important cause and it's not about the flag" meaning he's against flag burning.

It's desperate. Sometimes desperate shit works. I think this will probably hurt him.

None of it means a damn thing if the votes turn out like the demographics. That's the sleeping giant that keeps the Rs going to the same playbook. The younger voter, that might be Latinx, might be from Yankeeland, and might not be registered before has to show up before there's any movement away from BS like Lyin' Ted is putting out there. It won't be one election either. They are going to go out kicking and screaming. 

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

It's a great strategy to fire up his base and low information voters.  If you want to be depressed, read the Facebook comments on the video.  Tons of people are eating it up, right along with his DWI arrest and how he wants to grab your guns.  It's incredibly disheartening how many mouth breathing morons make up this state.

It's a great strategy to fire up his base and low information voters.  If you want to be depressed, read the Facebook comments on the video.  Tons of people are eating it up, right along with his DWI arrest and how he wants to grab your guns.  It's incredibly disheartening how many mouth breathing morons make up this state.

This is true.

They are legion.

They show up and vote.

They will win, again. Turn, turn, turn.

On 8/27/2018 at 11:18 PM, pyrohornIII said:

Beto's comments about the debates come from this interview.  Starts @ 23:00 mark.  The way he says it, it is like he is playing with house money and it's fun!

8 hours ago, Stros said:

When will they debate? How come they didn’t debate on 8/31?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk