Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

1 hour ago, Chuychanga said:

Definitely.  My girlfriend's dad is a proud Mexican.  Fox News all day in his house.  I don't know if it's because he wants to distance himself and his family from the undocumented immigrants or takers of handouts or what, but the idea that most hispanics in Texas are liberal is wishful thinking.  He's a hard worker and he probably thinks that's what the Republican Party is all about.    And he's not the only one.  

Is it still largely a religious thing?

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

absolutely.  and the demographics thing - it's more complicated than that.  The thing about the demographics that change isn't going to be more hispanic people in Texas, it's going to be more young and more urban.  More companies coming in bringing in more college educated folks to live in the urbs and suburbs.  It's possible that things will break in just the right way for things to work out for Beto this time around.  Really possible, but only because the world is such a fucking shitshow right now. 

I should go camp out at 5501 Airport just registering people who are waiting in line, though.

Shit, I'll go.  Just around the corner from me and I'm tired of throwing 20 bucks here and there to campaigns.  Would like to actually do something meaningful.

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

So driving through my neighborhood today, and saw something similar. Saw about a dozen Beto signs (in upper middle class WilCo) standing on their own. Saw one Cruz sign, and they also had signs for all the Republicans. Like they got a deal on the whole set or something. 

straight ticket homie.

22 hours ago, Tom said:

It's a great strategy to fire up his base and low information voters.  If you want to be depressed, read the Facebook comments on the video.  Tons of people are eating it up, right along with his DWI arrest and how he wants to grab your guns.  It's incredibly disheartening how many mouth breathing morons make up this state.

Those comments, at least 90 percent, are Russian paid trolls 

11 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Oh, hey, look everybody! It's crimson again - the queen of shitty memes. I guess going back to the same well where he pulls these from is the only game he knows.

To be fair to Crimson, Beto actually was pretty cunning for a baby to convince his parents to give him that nickname.  Diaper Beto already knew 40 years later he'd have to trick Hispanics into voting for him to become a Senator.  And that, Mr. Trump, is how you 4D chess.

• Like 1

My suburban white wife really was impressed by Beto on Ellen yesterday and it caused her to go watch the NFL kneeling video. She’s a life long Republican non-voter who doesn’t like politics and was generally irritated at the NFL guys for kneeling but she said “hell yeah they should kneel” after watching Beto. Between my encouragement to check him out and what she saw of him yesterday she’s all in and will actually vote this fall. She also thinks Trump is an utter scumbag so that helps. 

• Like 7

So the Civil War reenactor in my neighborhood who occasionally flies a confederate flag in his front yard finally got his Cruz sign up and about four other signs for various republicans running in the area. That's one thing I noticed is that people with Cruz signs in their yard tend to have signs for all the Republican judges, reps, etc. as well. They truly only care about the letter in front of the name. 

Honestly these types used to vote Dem in the south. Dixiecrats. Reality is they vote the party that represents white power the best from their perspective. Terminology is different now - tough on crime, Medicaid reform, pro-life, etc but laced within many of those Republican platform ideals is a racist outcome. So they flock to the R for that reason. To feel better they cover that shitpie with great symbolism like 10 commandments, protecting the flag and other nonsense that makes no difference.
  • Like 1

Going to a Beers with Beto event here in DC tonight. Wondering what he's doing up her but figure he has some chicken rep business and is squeezing in a fundraiser. Also there are enough ex pats and Texas residents up here that it might make sense as a campaign stop. Look forward to seeing him in person.

32 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

My suburban white wife really was impressed by Beto on Ellen yesterday and it caused her to go watch the NFL kneeling video. She’s a life long Republican non-voter who doesn’t like politics and was generally irritated at the NFL guys for kneeling but she said “hell yeah they should kneel” after watching Beto. Between my encouragement to check him out and what she saw of him yesterday she’s all in and will actually vote this fall. She also thinks Trump is an utter scumbag so that helps. 

She wants to have sex with him.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, troph said:

Ain’t moving the needle much with catholic Hispanics bc of abortion, end of story. Find more votes from shades of purple ticky-tack houses in the burbs

I think this is a big issue. The most negative anti-Beto comments I see on Facebook come from Hispanics. They are certainly not a monolithic Democratic block.

28 minutes ago, 'stache said:

She wants to have sex with him.

This actually brings up a big fear I have for the guy. He's practically a rock star now, and I'm sure he has more than his fair share of women throwing themselves at him...I really hope he doesn't have a metoo moment in the future. 

2 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

This actually brings up a big fear I have for the guy. He's practically a rock star now, and I'm sure he has more than his fair share of women throwing themselves at him...I really hope he doesn't have a metoo moment in the future. 

Cruz won’t go there. His affair has been known forever in Houston. Heidi didn’t try to kill herself just for shits and giggles. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I'm sure Team Ted will just make it up, and his sheep will believe it.  Might even have his new buddy trump tweet it, because it really doesn't matter what's true in those tweets.  It'll happen a week before the election when Beto continues to rise and Ted gets particularly desperate.

Edited by 'stache

1 hour ago, MidTexHorn said:

So as soon as a white face gets put on the issue she's all in for the NFL guys? LOL

Edited by Bruh Man

35 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'm sure Team Ted will just make it up, and his sheep will believe it.  Might even have his new buddy trump tweet it, because it really doesn't matter what's true in those tweets.  It'll happen a week before the election when Beto continues to rise and Ted gets particularly desperate.

Ted does not want people digging into his marital history. 

The best part of his take on the NFL situation was explaining to people that soldiers on foreign soil aren't the only ones who fought for our freedoms. Hell, soldiers on foreign soil are said to be "fighting for our freedom" but usually aren't actually doing anything to defend our freedom as American citizens. All the civil rights moments he touched on were much more about securing the freedoms promised to every American than boots on the ground in Uganda. 

Don't get me wrong, humanitarian missions are important and I support them in a lot of cases, I just get tired of the talking point about how every member of the United States military is always fighting for our freedom when that's not the case. And more importantly the fact that the same people who "support our troops" ignore citizens at home actually fighting for it. Of course, I'm not pretending for a moment that these people are going to realize the error of their ways by watching that video, but it was still nice to see.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Tom said:

To be fair to Crimson, Beto actually was pretty cunning for a baby to convince his parents to give him that nickname.  Diaper Beto already knew 40 years later he'd have to trick Hispanics into voting for him to become a Senator.  And that, Mr. Trump, is how you 4D chess.

I do love the insinuating that hispanic voters are stupid and vote based on the name alone. That's gonna play well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

I do love the insinuating that hispanic voters are stupid and vote based on the name alone. That's gonna play well.

As far as I can recall, memes communicating that message are his only "contributions" to this thread.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

also that Cruz the white non spanish speaking Cuban from Canada has more in common or can better represent Texas hispanics than someone from El Paso, whose adoption of local culture is appropriation.

1 hour ago, Bruh Man said:

So as soon as a white face gets put on the issue she's all in for the NFL guys? LOL

Fuck off dude. I said she doesn't like politics, in fact she typically just turns the channel if anything political comes on the news. She's not very informed on the issues, so seeing someone explain what was going on in a rational way that took it beyond the knee jerk "those guys are disrespecting the national anthem/troops/flag" bullshit that she typically hears from her dad and others helped her understand. His whiteness had nothing to do with that issue, although I'm sure she thinks he's sexy. So again, fuck off.

3 minutes ago, MidTexHorn said:

Fuck off dude. I said she doesn't like politics, in fact she typically just turns the channel if anything political comes on the news. She's not very informed on the issues, so seeing someone explain what was going on in a rational way that took it beyond the knee jerk "those guys are disrespecting the national anthem/troops/flag" bullshit that she typically hears from her dad and others helped her understand. His whiteness had nothing to do with that issue, although I'm sure she thinks he's sexy. So again, fuck off.

Mrs.LL was the same way until 22 months ago.  She's now more politically active than I am.

You and I aren't alone.  I have the distinct feeling that the turnout among women in this election is going to be astounding.

• Like 2