Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

It's not just that we need to balance out republicans with democrats (although given that all current republican legislators are complicit with Trumpism, we do need to basically eradicate them).  In this race, it's also about Cruz being a particularly bad representative who is driven by naked ambition and can't work with anyone because he's never made a friend in his life, and O'Rourke being a really strong candidate who demonstrates a passion for Texas and a willingness to listen to, work with, and get along with whoever he needs to in order to make America better.

I went and saw "Run Like The Devil".  It's supposed to be nonpartisan/unbiased.  Obviously the filmmaker leans left, I couldn't decide if it was really biased or if an honest portrayal of Cruz is him being shitty and that's not the filmmakers fault.  Not a ton of new information if you've been following the race closely.  I do feel like I understand how Cruz is the way that he is a little bit better, though the part showing his early life felt like one of those A&E shows with old polaroids and the narrator going "little Jeffy Dahmer was a troubled child, but had an affinity for pets".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Why?  What about Beto makes you want to come out?  I suspect you’ll be disappointed if he gets elected just the same as Obama did to so many people. 

"I suspect you'll be disappointed if he gets elected just the same as Obama did to so many people" Hilarious in so many ways. Obama getting elected disappointed the Trumpkin types. Is that supposed to be a surprise?

And  have you consider how many people who got disappointed when Trump got elected? Lots of potential Clinton voters stayed home because everyone thought she was going to win. 

And have you considered how many people who have gotten disappointed in Trump's election who voted for him thinking he would pivot and act like an adult?

Thanks for the laugh.

I think when the ads heat up Cruz will win fairly comfortably. Point out Beto’s gun stance and a couple other issues that he’s more liberal on and it will be done deal.

The problem is we are 44 days out from early voting, and Cruz should have already had this in the bag. 

Instead, he's scared, and is slinging shit left and right, as reflected by his twitter and his ads and videos, because he doesn't know what works. 

As far as the gun stance, there's a helluva lot of moms in Texas who probably identify more with Beto's stance than Cruz's.

Hell, we are not even a year removed from the Sutherland Springs massacre, complete with babies being killed.

I think when the ads heat up Cruz will win fairly comfortably. Point out Beto’s gun stance and a couple other issues that he’s more liberal on and it will be done deal.

All Beto has to do to counter is ask Cruz where the GOP's comprehensive, low cost health care plan is. Then he can lower the boom by asking him what happened to the "bill of love" they promised on immigration.

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Why?  What about Beto makes you want to come out?  I suspect you’ll be disappointed if he gets elected just the same as Obama did to so many people. 

Republicans have run on, drain the swamp, career politicians are terrible, we hate status quo, DC doesn’t listen, politicians are too divisive, they are rich because they are paid off.....on and on and on

if you were serious about ANY of those things, then you wouldn’t vote Cruz.

even if you are a big liar, which you most certainly are, and screamed about those topics but never actually meant it.... How about just voting for the one candidate that is decent. 

If you are actually a conservative and not a Trumpcuck, and you want to have an option to vote for candidates that you truly feel good about voting for there is only one way to make that happen.   You need to send a message.   The Rs have lied and lied and lied to you.  At some point you have to hold the, accountable, if not we all get someone even more terrible than Dan Patrick 

On 9/2/2018 at 9:16 PM, Message Board User said:

Dan Patrick's cabana boy.

Solid punk band name. Almost as good as Strom Thurmond's Black Baby. 

On 9/3/2018 at 11:26 AM, RDCanecutter said:

Ugh. Avenatti is coming to Texas to promote Avenatti.

That guy needs to know when to stay within his station. Yankee Italian moms don't teach that very well. 

17 hours ago, Chrispy said:

If you dislike it, then I know it’s funny. 

Fuck you, man.

14 hours ago, Chrispy said:

Right, even the most fervent Republicans in my group give an insouciant shrug when pressed on the matter. I get it, I’m hardly passionate myself. I could never vote for Beto since I disagree with most of what he says, but I agree he seems like a good guy. 

Don't make me love you, man. 

13 hours ago, Celery Man said:

For the rest of my life, part of the decision making algorithm every time I vote will be to determine what each person was doing, saying, and involved with in this time in which we are currently living.  Everyone who is complicit or complacent right now needs to gtfo.

Cruz is standalone. He is his own asshole. I think he at least deserves credit for that. He gotta go, to be sure, but he is a prick of his own design, one peculiar to the rest of DC. 

I feel like Beto's proposals for structural reforms to our system should have a lot of bipartisan appeal: end gerrymandering, campaign finance reform, term limits. Didn't term limits used to be pushed by conservatives?

You do those three things and you start to cure the underlying disease inflicting our political system. The symptoms of hyperpartisanship and not getting shit done will then clear up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, horncyclist said:

I feel like Beto's proposals for structural reforms to our system should have a lot of bipartisan appeal: end gerrymandering, campaign finance reform, term limits. Didn't term limits used to be pushed by conservatives?

You do those three things and you start to cure the underlying disease inflicting our political system. The symptoms of hyperpartisanship and not getting shit done will then clear up.

Seventy odd pages ago, I agreed.  Amplify this portion of the platform loudly IMO.

On 7/12/2018 at 8:32 AM, Anastasis said:

There are some things in Beto's website outline of his positions that I 100% support, his positions on government accountability.  His positions on healthcare are vague enough such that it's difficult to do a good assessment of all of them, but the ones that do have some flesh to them are a hot mess.  I'd be interested in hearing the opinion of folks at the UT system on his plan to leverage universities to control price inflation in education. He's got a nod to Bernie's free college in there, but restricts it to high demand fields and underserved communities. I agree with his national security talking points. I don't see anywhere where he discusses his tax proposals.  Probably smart to leave that out.  Here's the government accountability points:   

• We must end perpetual reelection and bring new voices to Congress by imposing term limits on every member of the House and Senate. This is why I have committed to serving only two terms if I am elected to the U.S. Senate.
  • Texans send their hard-earned money to Washington with the expectation that it is working to improve their lives, not cater to special interest groups. Let’s get big money out of Washington and ensure legislation isn’t written by the highest bidder. This begins with preventing politicians from accepting money from Political Action Committees (PACs) and returning power to electorate. That’s why I introduced the No PAC Act (H.R.1743), which would prevent any elected official from accepting PAC contributions.
  • End gerrymandering where members of Congress choose their voters instead of the other way around. We should have a non-partisan, non-politician redistricting commission that ends the practice of racial gerrymandering that has drawn people out of their democracy based on their race and ethnicity.
  • Ensuring the government works more efficiently and costs less by eliminating redundant or outdated federal regulations and improving transparency and oversight of federal agencies.
  •  

If Beto wins it will be his ground game. Thankfully he has the money and apparently the plan to pull it off. Grassroots momentum is hard to measure but he’s going to d a number in the burbs. Some movement In small rural cities too. Ted will bring in the attack ads like air raids but if the ground game is tight they won’t win the day. I bet Beto concedes the TV war to Cruz, and it will look like he’s losing. I also think the polls will lag and not pick up the swell from the GOTV campaign.

This broad should spend the rest of her life in jail. 

A Dallas police officer, who spoke with NBC 5 under the condition of anonymity, said the female officer was assigned to the department's elite Crime Response Team and had just finished a 14-hour shift serving warrants in high-crime areas. When she arrived home, she took the elevator to a floor that was not hers. She then went to what she thought was her door, put the key in and struggled with the lock. She then put down several things she was holding and continued to fight with the key when the resident swung open the door and startled her. The officer believed Jean, who was wearing only underwear, was an intruder and shot him with her service weapon. It wasn't until police and rescue units began arriving that she realized she was not at her apartment. Once realizing her deadly mistake, she became emotional and fully cooperated with officers, including offering to provide blood samples.

This broad should spend the rest of her life in jail. 

A Dallas police officer, who spoke with NBC 5 under the condition of anonymity, said the female officer was assigned to the department's elite Crime Response Team and had just finished a 14-hour shift serving warrants in high-crime areas. When she arrived home, she took the elevator to a floor that was not hers. She then went to what she thought was her door, put the key in and struggled with the lock. She then put down several things she was holding and continued to fight with the key when the resident swung open the door and startled her. The officer believed Jean, who was wearing only underwear, was an intruder and shot him with her service weapon. It wasn't until police and rescue units began arriving that she realized she was not at her apartment. Once realizing her deadly mistake, she became emotional and fully cooperated with officers, including offering to provide blood samples.
Not even safe unarmed in your own home now. You can't make this up. White guy doesn't get shot.

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Just knocked in 50 doors in Cherry Creek.  One "no no he's not my guy", one lady who also wanted me to go away, and one dude who sounded like a "not voting because he's too left" but didn't want to talk any more than that.  Lot of avid support, lot of "Yep if he's the guy running against Cruz he's got my vote."  A few people didn't seem to know much about it, hopefully I sparked their curiosity enough to take a look.  Registered a voter.  Bout to head out to a registration event (next to a Beto event).  

Whoa. Good for you. That's some good stuff there, for something you believe in. 

8 minutes ago, Monahorns said:

The only people I know who have met Cruz thought he was a nice guy and not as awkward as what he seems in some of his public appearances.

That's funny. Here in Austin I know  people who know him professionally or worked with him. All of them have said he's an insufferable asshole and a nightmare boss, especially the Republicans.

46 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

I have had my yard sign stolen 3 times over last two months. Ordered 5 more. Got my friends house too.

Party of Law and Order and Civility!

Really upset my son. Some petty chickenshit fuck Head is going to make that boy a hard core anti republican for life.

Had the exact thing happen, but it has just happened once.  The replacement has lasted 2 weeks, and 2 spares in waiting. 

Alright, let me parse this.

Tofu - I don’t eat the stuff because I find it tasteless and the texture is gross but it’s a healthy thing to eat. So, he dog whistles it because it translates to “hippy dippy librul food” to rednecks?

Silicon - how in the world is this a bad thing? Silicon Valley is shorthand for cutting edge success and wealth and technology. Yeah, that would just be a horrible thing to have in your city or state! Or does he mean breast implants?? TED CRUZ IS HOMO GAY! HE’S AGAINST BIG FAKE BOOBS!

Hair dye - WUT??? Texas women are like Alabama women - at a certain point, the hair dye becomes a sacrament. Or maybe all those whippersnappers with that pink hair are going to corrupt some kids???

Seriously, there are probably hundreds of dog whistles he could use to imply how terrible it would be for Texas to be California-ized.

Yet his weird ass chose tofu and silicon and hair dye????

Thanks for the chuckle, Ted.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Only 5 new registrations at the event, which was less of an event than "hang out at this place where people sometimes come", but that's OK.  I asked one guy if he was registered and he said "you don't want to talk to me, Cruz fan." (he was not being a dick)  To which I shrugged and said "I'll still register you.".  But he was registered.  Got two yard signs to go deliver to two of the doors I knocked on who said they were supporters but need a yard sign.  Gay couple who own two homes and need a second one for this one, and an awesome woman in a wheelchair who was talking about how incredible it was to see Beto at the Texas Disability Issues Forum.

Also the funniest moment was knocking on the door of one unit of a duplex, a bit run down.  I'm standing there waiting the requisite 20 seconds for a sign of life and think "it stinks of Raid".  I look up to see if there's a dead wasp nest or something.  Holy shit, there are two dozen wasps clinging to the eave directly above my head.  Slowly backing away.

I recommend going out and doing one of these things, it was fun and I didn't really have any bad experiences.  If anyone needs a VDR for a thing, lemme know (but also you can post in any of the Beto facebook groups, or I can give you an e-mail to get in contact with a broader Travis county VDR list).

• Like 1

Only 5 new registrations at the event, which was less of an event than "hang out at this place where people sometimes come", but that's OK.  I asked one guy if he was registered and he said "you don't want to talk to me, Cruz fan." (he was not being a dick)  To which I shrugged and said "I'll still register you.".  But he was registered.  Got two yard signs to go deliver to two of the doors I knocked on who said they were supporters but need a yard sign.  Gay couple who own two homes and need a second one for this one, and an awesome woman in a wheelchair who was talking about how incredible it was to see Beto at the Texas Disability Issues Forum.
Also the funniest moment was knocking on the door of one unit of a duplex, a bit run down.  I'm standing there waiting the requisite 20 seconds for a sign of life and think "it stinks of Raid".  I look up to see if there's a dead wasp nest or something.  Holy shit, there are two dozen wasps clinging to the eave directly above my head.  Slowly backing away.
I recommend going out and doing one of these things, it was fun and I didn't really have any bad experiences.  If anyone needs a VDR for a thing, lemme know (but also you can post in any of the Beto facebook groups, or I can give you an e-mail to get in contact with a broader Travis county VDR list).

Nice work!

I’m a VDR also. I’m busy next week but want to get active again in that capacity up until the deadline. Let me know if you want to step up a table on campus or another target rich environment and split hours manning it. Or if you come across any good VDR opportunities.