The Drums Pron Thread

ohchaucer

Any drummer gift suggestions? Smallish things, maybe $20-$50? SIL's family sent me a gift so we need to figure out something quick for her husband. I don't know what he plays, but..... metal.

That hi hat clutch cruser linked is a great accessory. One other thought would be ear plugs or sound dampening headphones. Vic Firth makes a great pair of headphones specifically for drummers that I don’t think are super expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

Any drummer gift suggestions? Smallish things, maybe $20-$50? SIL's family sent me a gift so we need to figure out something quick for her husband. I don't know what he plays, but..... metal.
Obligatory

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HCO2BK--meinl-percussion-headliner-series-steel-mountable-cowbell-8-inch
Screenshot_20211218-122405_Chrome.jpg
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've never really followed Gregg Bissonette, mostly because I just don't pay attention to the scene he runs in, but this little master class is terrific.  His touch is spectacular -- look how effortlessly he holds his sticks.  I'm sending this to my daughter so she can maybe pick up some pointers.  She can read it, count it, play it, but she fights the kit more than he does.  (Most drummers probably do.)

That’s a great video. At 8 minutes or so, when he imitates Gadd coming out of his seat, it’s fucking spot on. He’s a great talent. Anyone who subs in for Simon Phillips who himself is replacing the irreplaceable Jeff Porcaro - you know they have ludicrous chops.

I’ve had a set of poplar ludwigs for the past year…but I ordered a set of these gretsch renown’s north american maple in high gloss cherry burst. They’re back ordered but should ship in a few weeks. Agonizing wait…

I ordered a 22/10/12/16 4 pc…I already have a Yamaha tour custom maple snare to go with it

Main__96382.1576865784.jpg?c=2&imbypass=

That’s a nice looking kit! I played a Gretsch USA custom a few months back and it sounded amazing. I don’t know if I’ve seen a Renown maple in the wild but people seem to love them and the finish and hardware looks nice. And thank god you didn’t get the two tone retro ones!

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

That’s a nice looking kit! I played a Gretsch USA custom a few months back and it sounded amazing. I don’t know if I’ve seen a Renown maple in the wild but people seem to love them and the finish and hardware looks nice. And thank god you didn’t get the two tone retro ones!

Thanks!

They do have a lot of finishes (including burnt orange sparkle exclusive at Sweetwater….but that’s only available 1 up 2 down virgin kick). I really wanted the kick drilled with tom rack….and that glossy cherry burst is absolutely stunning in person IMO

burnt orange sparkle

image.jpeg.b6dec3e8cd2c7e7e8e887617387aee62.jpeg

here’s the 2 tone retro (renown ‘57) you’re  probably referring to

image.jpeg.8285849bc7e86b96b5dffbbee0fccce8.jpeg

• Like 1

I’ve had a set of poplar ludwigs for the past year…but I ordered a set of these gretsch renown’s north american maple in high gloss cherry burst. They’re back ordered but should ship in a few weeks. Agonizing wait…
I ordered a 22/10/12/16 4 pc…I already have a Yamaha tour custom maple snare to go with it

Main__96382.1576865784.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

Nice!

Years ago, I bought my daughter a set of Gretsch Renowns that were a 6-pc -- can't remember, maybe I got them from you @Handcruser -- they were spectacular drums.  Ultimately, they were just too physically large for her, as she was probably 13 at the time.  So, I built her a set from Keller raw maple shells.  Pretty much a jazz kit, 20" kick, 8" rack tom, 14" floor tom.  She plays grungy hard rock on them LOL.  She kicks ass, though. 

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Years ago, I bought my daughter a set of Gretsch Renowns that were a 6-pc -- can't remember, maybe I got them from you @Handcruser -- they were spectacular drums.  Ultimately, they were just too physically large for her, as she was probably 13 at the time.  So, I built her a set from Keller raw maple shells.  Pretty much a jazz kit, 20" kick, 8" rack tom, 14" floor tom.  She plays grungy hard rock on them LOL.  She kicks ass, though. 

I’m a #GirlDad myself. This story gives me hope

Years ago, I bought my daughter a set of Gretsch Renowns that were a 6-pc -- can't remember, maybe I got them from you [mention=214]Handcruser[/mention] -- they were spectacular drums.  Ultimately, they were just too physically large for her, as she was probably 13 at the time.  So, I built her a set from Keller raw maple shells.  Pretty much a jazz kit, 20" kick, 8" rack tom, 14" floor tom.  She plays grungy hard rock on them LOL.  She kicks ass, though. 

I sold you that dope ass gives kit.

Sold some Gretsch USA customs to Dan Neil. Those were the only Gretsch I had.

This series from Drumeo is everything:

If you haven't checked out the drummer from Snarky Puppy doing Enter Sandman you're wasting the internet.

In other news, The Roland TD-50X brain that's been backordered since the dawn of creation finally arrived and Sweetwater honored the initial sale price, which has since been bumped up about $500 or some such nonsense. The people on Rock Band Rivals aren't gonna know what hit them.

Edited by BoomMF

• 1 month later...

Man, I got sick of waiting on the cherry burst renowns….so I did what I thought I wouldnt do….I called up Sweetwater and ordered the Burnt Orange Sparkle lacquer Renown’s with the virgin kick. And then some. I also added the matching 10” rack and 14” snare.

So, 22x14 kick (love that 4” narrower kick versus the 22x18 typical size), 7x10 and 8x12 racks, 14x14 and 16x16 floors (love those squared off floor sizes), and 14x6.5 snare

Arrives Monday…..burnt orange sparkle right in time for football season

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, rungeflash said:

Man, I got sick of waiting on the cherry burst renowns….so I did what I thought I wouldnt do….I called up Sweetwater and ordered the Burnt Orange Sparkle lacquer Renown’s with the virgin kick. And then some. I also added the matching 10” rack and 14” snare.

So, 22x14 kick (love that 4” narrower kick versus the 22x18 typical size), 7x10 and 8x12 racks, 14x14 and 16x16 floors (love those squared off floor sizes), and 14x6.5 snare

Hell yeah. My drummer actually went from full Neil Peart down to this setup recently. Seems like two racks and two floors is kind rare or am I off?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, rungeflash said:

I came 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, G650 said:

Hell yeah. My drummer actually went from full Neil Peart down to this setup recently. Seems like two racks and two floors is kind rare or am I off?

I’m not sure how rare that is these days, I think some people might want tighter frequency intervals and more options as they move across rack to floor. But you are correct, the classic setup is 1 up 2 down. 

However, my main reason to go ahead and get all the pieces available is these special color offerings from Gretsch are usually gone forever after a 2-3 year run.  I believe burnt orange is heading toward year 3 now, so I’m biting the bullet. Also, Sweetwater made me an incredible package deal…..do not buy online, always call. I saved $400 making a call as opposed to “add to cart!” 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd love to get feedback on the shallow kick and how it sounds.  Seems like almost everyone in Austin plays 22x18, except the Bonham freaks, and to my ear those 26 kicks are not all that easy to capture.

Oh absolutely, I’m very interested as well. I have my current ludwig 22x18 at 46hz on the tunebot and it’s a nice punch. We’ll see what this 22x14 likes. I use the tunebot mainly as a starting point, and it’s nice checking individual lugs….but the ear has to make the final call 

36 minutes ago, rungeflash said:

I’m not sure how rare that is these days, I think some people might want tighter frequency intervals and more options as they move across rack to floor. But you are correct, the classic setup is 1 up 2 down. 

Those of us from the classic rock era would say "classic" is 2 up, 1 down.  

To me, 1 up 1 down looks the best, and doesn't insist upon itself.  1 up 2 down is next.  I'm not a big fan of 2 up in any context, but I don't play, I just look and dream, so discount what I think.

It's hard to argue with that extra rack tom, though, even if you only use one at a time.  More is better.

Ya I meant “classic bonham” 1 up 2 down config. And “thinner” kick. I think that’s the marketing angle gretsch and sweetwater are banking on with this 4 piece shell pack burnt orange….the optional pieces are for suckers like me lol. I’m not a gigging drummer and never will be, strictly a hobby. I love it, great exercise for an older fart 

I'd love to get feedback on the shallow kick and how it sounds.  Seems like almost everyone in Austin plays 22x18, except the Bonham freaks, and to my ear those 26 kicks are not all that easy to capture.

They’re so great. I’d never buy an 18”.

Much more responsive. Sound wise, you can tune them however you want.

Jealous of those burnt orange Gretsch!

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

You just have to set up in an 18th century workhouse entryway, easy peasy.

I have to admit that I have become enamored with the simplicity of a single rack and single floor kit. Which is kind of wild to think about since I came up listening and playing stuff that was like 6 toms  and whatnot.

• Hook 'Em 2

Damn, can't wait to see pics of this new kit!  And I love 2 up and 2 down because you can shuffle it up for whatever your situation.  I ultimately started playing 1 up and 1 down almost exclusively because that's the easiest to set up on a stage in a hurry.  But I do sometimes still play all my toms at home (3 up and 2 down) just for fun.  My standard in a recoding context is 1 up and 2 down.

Damn it... now I'm about to click on Sweetwater.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh, and agree completely on the 14" depth on a 22" kick.  It's incredibly versatile for a diameter that large.  I had a 24" x 22" at one time and it sounded amazing..... for the exactly ONE tuning it was capable of (and even that was with a shitload of dampening).  

Oooof….5 separate tracking numbers. Lol. 
The 4 smaller weight boxes estimated Saturday! Yeah! The big dog 84lb box estimated Monday…Boo

Oh well, I’m almost positive the snare and 10” tom have to be part of the Saturday deliveries, so hopefully I can post up some high res pics of the finish that evening.

Questions for the hive mind: 

My 9 year old son wants to learn drums.  I think it will be a much easier sell to the wife if I get him an electric kit.  But will an electric kit hinder learning or create bad habits?

Also, at age 9 does it make more sense to get a full sized kit or kid sized?  I want to play around on it too . . . so leaning towards an adult kit.  

I would respectfully disagree.  Get him a small Gretsch Catalina Jazz kit, some lessons, and get yourself some earplugs.

This worked out perfectly for us.  Our daughter learned to play the right way, with a focus on snare rudiments and basic technique, on an appropriately sized kit, and she's off and running now.  She couldn't unlearn that technique if she tried.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I would respectfully disagree.  Get him a small Gretsch Catalina Jazz kit, some lessons, and get yourself some earplugs.
This worked out perfectly for us.  Our daughter learned to play the right way, with a focus on snare rudiments and basic technique, on an appropriately sized kit, and she's off and running now.  She couldn't unlearn that technique if she tried.

Agree. Completely.

They make dampeners for the heads as well as low volume heads (and cymbals). This is the way
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Questions for the hive mind: 

My 9 year old son wants to learn drums.  I think it will be a much easier sell to the wife if I get him an electric kit.  But will an electric kit hinder learning or create bad habits?

Also, at age 9 does it make more sense to get a full sized kit or kid sized?  I want to play around on it too . . . so leaning towards an adult kit.  

If you do opt for an electronic set, I’d suggest the roland td1mk entry level kit, you both should be able to play it comfortably. It’s about $650. I have one of those kits and I also have the roland vdrum DT1 software loaded on a laptop. The laptop connects to the Roland’s module, and it’s quite good practice with immediate feedback and scoring. You can either use an arcade type design (like guitar hero) OR real notation sheet music. I use the sheet music screen. There are endless rudiments,,exercises and practice songs, all with scoring.

The other cool thing is you can search the web for free MIDI drum files, save them to your laptop….and play them with scoring. You want acdc highway to hell? No prob it’s out there. I have hundreds of songs saved….all free.

• Hook 'Em 1

Can’t agree more with JJ and cruser. You need to learn on a real kit. I practice daily on my Roland and an electronic kit is great for keeping limber, recording, playing to music, etc. but learning rudiments and moving around the kit are the fundamentals. And it’s not just a feel thing because higher end electronics have come a long way on head feel (though cymbal feel is crap except for very very top end and even then it’s still just plastic). Even still after 30+ years if I don’t sit behind my real kit weekly, it feels like a transition between the two.

BECAUSE… no electronic kit can replicate one of the most critical aspects of learning the instrument - dynamics. Stick control, ghost notes, buzz rolls vs controlled doubles, etc are all learned by combining feel with dynamics. The reason all new drummers sound like they’re banging around loud as shit is because, in fact, they are. Learning dynamics is what evolves them into the musician at their instrument.

Also, most important purchase for a new drummer is a practice pad and a book of rudiments.

And, yes, earplugs for the whole house.