The Drums Pron Thread

ohchaucer

I like these die cast very much. I was cautioned that these could “choke” the drum off too much, but that is not what happened at all. I would say it shifted the overtone frequency down slightly and a tighter range, but it still sings out plenty long. I like the appearance of them too.

One other bizarre thing I noticed was the 302 hoops that came with my kit, ya they’re not round! The die cast really made that obvious. They still tuned and sounded great with the 302s…but my OCD says all the 302 hoops are eventually coming off. The die cast are very symmetrical along the bearing edge.

52764650670_76864ff8b7_k.jpg

Die cast

52763703162_3f1fd7f251_k.jpg

52764243946_63a073e20e_k.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a new cymbal, this is a 19” giant beat “multi-function” 1529 grams. It’s designed to be a ride too…but my goodness, what a crash! Fantastic classic sound. I have had an 18” giant beat “thin” 1204 grams for a few years, and it’s very nice and still in my lineup….but damn, this 19” multi is off the charts. Cannot recommended this enough if you’re looking for a large crash. 

52801965999_97be33565b_k.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, that's a great sounding cymbal.  When I record/mix I much prefer cymbals w/o a ton of fundamental but with a lot of shimmer on the high end.  I'm not sure I've heard one with that much flexibility.  The one hit the guy does on the ride sounds like ass, it's all that low end single-frequency mud I hate.

Dare I ask how much?  Might need to grab one for my daughter.

34 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wow, that's a great sounding cymbal.  When I record/mix I much prefer cymbals w/o a ton of fundamental but with a lot of shimmer on the high end.  I'm not sure I've heard one with that much flexibility.  The one hit the guy does on the ride sounds like ass, it's all that low end single-frequency mud I hate.

The 19” is $310 to the door (if you live in Texas…no sales tax)

Memphisdrum has one left, it’s a 1545 gram. 

https://memphisdrumshop.com/paiste-19-giant-beat-multifunctional-cymbal-1545g-1018519-1112121h

• Hook 'Em 1

Dude I got cymbals. What do you need.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't NEED anything, but I thought I might surprise my daughter with one of those GIant Beats.

Hell, most shows supply her entire kit + cymbals, it's probably money wasted.

She would be absolutely thrilled with it. It’s definitely a long term keeper, I don’t see her ever parting ways with it. I really like the demo of that 1545 gram….but ultimately I chose the 1529. They are probably indistinguishable in person and Paiste is known for consistency cymbal to cymbal, even with a few grams difference 

But….Handcruser has a lot of nice cymbals there! You never know.

Gotdayum I LOVE drums AND cymbals……especially sparkly ones lol

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked up this yamaha recording custom 13x6.5 recently and damn…..it’s badass! It’s a 1.2mm brass shell, 2.3 dynahoops, 8 lug, and a really smooth q type strainer. First 13” snare I’ve had and I like it a lot…a little more room to run the double pedals. The sound is classic…very similar to a 70s/80s black beauty. Lots of musical overtones and big time crack if you lay into it. 

52921133498_4acb33fb9e_k.jpg

52921133388_7c7c7a9d67_k.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

I picked up this yamaha recording custom 13x6.5 recently and damn…..it’s badass! It’s a 1.2mm brass shell, 2.3 dynahoops, 8 lug, and a really smooth q type strainer. First 13” snare I’ve had and I like it a lot…a little more room to run the double pedals. The sound is classic…very similar to a 70s/80s black beauty. Lots of musical overtones and big time crack if you lay into it. 

52921133498_4acb33fb9e_k.jpg

52921133388_7c7c7a9d67_k.jpg

Nice! 13’s are great.

Yamaha makes a 1465 in this exact brass snare….i actually demo’d it back to back with the 1365. With both tuned to relatively the same fundamental, the 13’s overtones were slightly higher pitched, a little bit brighter ring. The 14’s accentuated more mid range. I thought playing both surfaces, I actually enjoyed the rebound off the 13 more…..but I’m splitting hairs because both are excellent snares.

Yamaha actually has a heluva lineup within that RC series. The aluminum and steel models are also really killer sounding and worth checking out. All of the models are designed in coordination with Steve Gadd I believe 

• Hook 'Em 1

Drumcenter Portsmouth has a special this weekend….15% off entire order. DCP1415 code. I’ve had great luck with these guys. Free shipping and no Texas sales tax. I’m sure there’s a shitload of fine print exclusions lol…..but it worked on the meinl sticks and Ludwig drumhead I bought today.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, rungeflash said:

Drumcenter Portsmouth has a special this weekend….15% off entire order. DCP1415 code. I’ve had great luck with these guys. Free shipping and no Texas sales tax. I’m sure there’s a shitload of fine print exclusions lol…..but it worked on the meinl sticks and Ludwig drumhead I bought today.

thanks dude.  you seem to be deeply into every element of drum kits...both esoteric and basic.  give me a recommendation for a good modern day set for someone who knows what drumming is, has programmed drums a million times, has an electronic yamaha drum set to play around on and do training on, and is ready to fill his bomb shelter room at his house with a legit set but under no circumstances will be confused with an actual drummer.  kick, two toms, floor tom, snare, hihat, ride, and crash.  effectively a set one level above intro/beginner sound.  it will not be gigged with, it will be for fun and occasional home studio recording.  preferably under $3K for everything...

this one was kind of calling my name for just the shell but i know fuck all about the different pearl lines.

https://www.drumcenternh.com/pearl-session-studio-select-series-5pc-shell-pack-w-22-bass-antique-crimson-burst

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, sidis said:

kick, two toms, floor tom, snare, hihat, ride, and crash.  effectively a set one level above intro/beginner sound.  it will not be gigged with, it will be for fun and occasional home studio recording.  preferably under $3K for everything...

I'll let @rungeflash chime in first, but $3K should cover that easily.  Any interest in some parts being used?  I've never seen the wisdom in buying new high end cymbals (Zildjian A, Sabian AA, Paiste) when it's really easy to assess the condition of a used cymbal and knock 50% off the price of a very expensive piece of metal.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'll let @rungeflash chime in first, but $3K should cover that easily.  Any interest in some parts being used?  I've never seen the wisdom in buying new high end cymbals (Zildjian A, Sabian AA, Paiste) when it's really easy to assess the condition of a used cymbal and knock 50% off the price of a very expensive piece of metal.

thanks, yeah...reading this thread, I had seen your post about the used cymbals.  Figure if I pull the trigger on a shell and a snare, i'll reach out to rip76, meet up with him, murder him, and take all those cymbals he posted pix of above. (or maybe offer a reasonable price for a ride and crash he's done with).

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sidis said:

thanks, yeah...reading this thread, I had seen your post about the used cymbals.  Figure if I pull the trigger on a shell and a snare, i'll reach out to rip76, meet up with him, murder him, and take all those cymbals he posted pix of above. (or maybe offer a reasonable price for a ride and crash he's done with).

He sells good shit at a good price (to surlies, at least).

21 minutes ago, sidis said:

thanks dude.  you seem to be deeply into every element of drum kits...both esoteric and basic.  give me a recommendation for a good modern day set for someone who knows what drumming is, has programmed drums a million times, has an electronic yamaha drum set to play around on and do training on, and is ready to fill his bomb shelter room at his house with a legit set but under no circumstances will be confused with an actual drummer.  kick, two toms, floor tom, snare, hihat, ride, and crash.  effectively a set one level above intro/beginner sound.  it will not be gigged with, it will be for fun and occasional home studio recording.  preferably under $3K for everything...

this one was kind of calling my name for just the shell but i know fuck all about the different pearl lines.

https://www.drumcenternh.com/pearl-session-studio-select-series-5pc-shell-pack-w-22-bass-antique-crimson-burst

No problem, sidis….I’d be more than happy to help spend your money. I have not personally played that Pearl session set….but on paper the specs look great and I’m sure in person it would sound excellent and be solid quality. Now, I don’t believe it includes a snare and the kit is going to use 2300 of your budget (before any discounts of course)…..so you might need to look used for a snare and cymbals. I’d probably recommend hardware be brand new IMO….but a used snare and used cymbals from reputable companies should be absolutely considered.

Other drum kits NEW in that range would Tama starclassic, DW design, Gretsch renown. Used could open up another array of kits….but buying used sight unseen is scary with wood bearing edges and just overall truthfulness about condition. Definitely a possibility tho.

Let me see what I come across and I’ll post up links….

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, rungeflash said:

No problem, sidis….I’d be more than happy to help spend your money. I have not personally played that Pearl session set….but on paper the specs look great and I’m sure in person it would sound excellent and be solid quality. Now, I don’t believe it includes a snare and the kit is going to use 2300 of your budget (before any discounts of course)…..so you might need to look used for a snare and cymbals. I’d probably recommend hardware be brand new IMO….but a used snare and used cymbals from reputable companies should be absolutely considered.

Other drum kits NEW in that range would Tama starclassic, DW design, Gretsch renown. Used could open up another array of kits….but buying used sight unseen is scary with wood bearing edges and just overall truthfulness about condition. Definitely a possibility tho.

Is the Pearl Session the successor to the Export Series?

5 minutes ago, rungeflash said:

liked these two as well...could live down a tom. 

https://www.drumcenternh.com/pearl-session-studio-select-24x14-bass-drum-black-chrome

https://www.drumcenternh.com/dw-design-frequent-flyer-4pc-drum-set-tobacco-burst-lacquer

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

Is the Pearl Session the successor to the Export Series?

I dont believe so because the export is still offered. It appears a step under the session with the shell construction….session is birch/mahogany and the export is poplar/mahogany. I’d probably suggest sidis stick with the session or higher if going Pearl. There are probably some hoop and hardware differences as well…but that shell material difference is significant right off the bat

4 minutes ago, rungeflash said:

I dont believe so because the export is still offered. It appears a step under the session with the shell construction….session is birch/mahogany and the export is poplar/mahogany. I’d probably suggest sidis stick with the session or higher if going Pearl. There are probably some hoop and hardware differences as well…but that shell material difference is significant right off the bat

Ah, got it. This concludes my twice a decade investigation of drums trends!

8 minutes ago, sidis said:

Either one of those are nice. That particular session kit has a 24” kick…..that’s a big dawg! Might want to stick with 22” or smaller but that’s totally an individual taste. That DW on the flip side is intriguing with that 20x12 kick….really nice n tidy size!

Mind me asking why you want anything more than a 4-pc?  (snare, tom, floor tom, kick)

I would think that would be more than adequate for a player getting into that world.  If you buy current products new, it's possible you could add on later, especially if you go with classic finishes (basic sparkles, natural wood, gloss paint, etc.).

1 minute ago, rungeflash said:

That renown kit in the cherry burst includes matching snare

Those Yamaha tour customs are very good in person. There’s good reason why they’re usually sold out and never on sale 

I like the Starclassics from my limited experience.  That kit you linked looks incredible.  I'm a sucker for oyster/pearl/etc. wraps.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I like the Starclassics from my limited experience.  That kit you linked looks incredible.  I'm a sucker for oyster/pearl/etc. wraps.

For sure. I have renowns and I’m very happy….but if you could stretch the budget just past 3k I’d be all over that DCP starclassic exclusive. I love that finish and those drums are very nice to the ear…..