The Drums Pron Thread

ohchaucer

Don't recall if there was an all-encompassing drums thread at the old place, but here goes:

33peql2.jpg

That's my last drumset being loaded up into the car to head to its new owner when my drum room was turned into a nursery.  Custom built maple-shells in orange sparkle with white powder coated hardware.  They were kinda ridiculous and I would never buy/build like that again, but at the time, I loved 'em.  And at gigs, someone ALWAYS would ask about them.  I usually played them in a Bonham set-up - one rack and two floor toms.  And the kick was monsterous - 24" x 24"

Good memories.  Now I'm about to be back on the market for my next kit. 

And WTF were you playing on that orange set?  Jesus man, 24x24 is crazy.

Yeah, it was ridiculous.  I played blues/rock, mostly.  It was overkill in every single way and a bitch to get any decent tone out of it without the kick head feeling like mush.  (Turns out, there's an advantage to drums with asymmetrical measurements in terms of ability to get kick feel and tone right, especially at that big-ass size).  I also think the kick and floor toms were all 12 ply shells, but can't remember if it was all of them and they had rounded bevel edges.  Fat.

But when I bought it, I already had two other "stock" kits so when I decided to play around with a custom kit, I wanted some crazy specs and look/feel.  Was pretty fun.

15 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Love it.  My first "real" kit was a Pearl Export 5 piece. 

I think it was for a lot of people.  It was/is a very solid kit for the price point.   I spent my spring semester of senior year in HS saving $$ from my job at Outback Steakhouse to buy those.  The cymbals I had been collecting for several years and still have(and use) them.  Classic A. Zildjian cymbals that are just perfect. 

Also, that top picture was from a show at Blondie's in 1998.  The bottom was from a Christmas show at Fitzgerald's in 1996. 

And maybe some Ludwig’s. The Ludwig’s were played with Albert Collins so I’m kind of partial to them but I don’t need 3 sets complete with hardware, hardware for another set, and cymbals for 4 sets (and then some).

Ha, that sounds like me before The Purge.

31 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I have a set of GMS for sale. 

And maybe some Ludwig’s. The Ludwig’s were played with Albert Collins so I’m kind of partial to them but I don’t need 3 sets complete with hardware, hardware for another set, and cymbals for 4 sets (and then some). 

You're a fuckin' addict though.  However, if I had enough space to set up at least 2 kits I'd probably be the same. 

I'll refrain from getting too critical of people who cover others' music to a backing track, because she shows shows talent, but I'm not sure how much it reveals about musicianship in general.  I guess it doesn't reveal anything negative, though.

Here's my sexist question:  why are great, original female drummers so few and far between?  Yes, there are some.  They're rare.  I always had the feeling that a low center of gravity and wide hips and strong legs should lead to a heavy groove, but in general it seems to be the opposite.  In keeping with my sexist perspective, I'm wondering if women (not universally, but in general) just don't play with the drive that men do because . . . well, think about it?  Is playing drums a metaphor for sex?

OK, thread hijacked.

Especially given the fact that women can dance better because they have been endowed by the Maker to have better body rhythm.  /Science.

So for this thread, do I post a picture of my Superior Drummer 2.0 box or my 3.0 upgrade download link email?  Is that how this works?

Edited by BoomMF

JJ.  

Good question.  I’ve come across some amazing female percussionists, but by an large there seem to be less.  Maybe it’s partially a preference thing when choosing instruments?  Hell I met one of Beyonce’s drummers at a shop here in Houston and she was amazing.  We talked for a bit and she actually went to school for music and was working towards getting a masters at some point. 

One thing I’ve noticed with so many is how robotic they seem to be.  Even that video Buzz posted. That chick can play and she did a great job breaking down a tough song. But man she just doesn’t remotely seem to be enjoying it.  

6 minutes ago, Ldogg53 said:

One thing I’ve noticed with so many is how robotic they seem to be.  Even that video Buzz posted. That chick can play and she did a great job breaking down a tough song. But man she just doesn’t remotely seem to be enjoying it.  

Yes, exactly.  Very robotic.  To me it's just rare to find one who seems to live in the groove the way the best male drummers do -- Gadd, Katche, Jones, Bonham, etc.

35 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yes, exactly.  Very robotic.  To me it's just rare to find one who seems to live in the groove the way the best male drummers do -- Gadd, Katche, Jones, Bonham, etc.

It’s like so many are too focused I playing the notes correctly and not just feeling the vibe and jamming.  Doesn’t matter if you make a mistake here or there as people won’t notice.  Just feel the music and transfer that emotion and energy outward.  

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'll refrain from getting too critical of people who cover others' music to a backing track, because she shows shows talent, but I'm not sure how much it reveals about musicianship in general.  I guess it doesn't reveal anything negative, though.

Here's my sexist question:  why are great, original female drummers so few and far between?  Yes, there are some.  They're rare.  I always had the feeling that a low center of gravity and wide hips and strong legs should lead to a heavy groove, but in general it seems to be the opposite.  In keeping with my sexist perspective, I'm wondering if women (not universally, but in general) just don't play with the drive that men do because . . . well, think about it?  Is playing drums a metaphor for sex?

OK, thread hijacked.

Karen Carpenter was the best I ever saw... when she was given the chance to wail, she cold.  

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, thread hijacked.

In my limited experience around musicians it just seemed that girls don't (or don't want to) hit has hard. There are exceptions of course. The drummer for an all-girl Led Zep tribute band I once saw was an absolute tank and beat the hell out of those things.

2 hours ago, BoomMF said:

Especially given the fact that women can dance better because they have been endowed by the Maker to have better body rhythm.  /Science.

So for this thread, do I post a picture of my Superior Drummer 2.0 box or my 3.0 upgrade download link email?  Is that how this works?

Check out my sweet kit brah

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

In my limited experience around musicians it just seemed that girls don't (or don't want to) hit has hard. There are exceptions of course. The drummer for an all-girl Led Zep tribute band I once saw was an absolute tank and beat the hell out of those things.

There is a muscle mass difference and it shows in drummers.  [Insert WNBA joke here].  

24 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

There is a muscle mass difference and it shows in drummers.  [Insert WNBA joke here].  

Meh I guess.  But that doesn't excuse the lack of enthusiasm and energy that so many display.  Just seems like they're thinking about the music and not feeling it. 

Damn dogg i knew you were good peeps but didn't know you were a drummer.  I've played for years.  I started looking playing around with the set builder (down right now) on the dw site since about a year back.  All white with black hardware is what i'm leaning towards.

32 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Damn dogg i knew you were good peeps but didn't know you were a drummer.  I've played for years.  I started looking playing around with the set builder (down right now) on the dw site since about a year back.  All white with black hardware is what i'm leaning towards.

If you decide to pull the trigger on getting a DW set let me know.  A guy I know owns a drum shop on the west side of town and will cut you a deal.  If I recall he has the top DW sales for the area so he gets some good incentives from them. 

All white with black hardware is what i'm leaning towards.

Lars, is that you?

Also, JJ, did you powdercoat that hardware or buy it already black?  I've always wanted to build my own kit, especially after seeing the process in having one built.  And Keller shells?