Gumbo

1978horn

Threw down on some gumbo yesterday. Smoked/BBQd some chicken thighs over pecan and used Pollok's pork sausage. Turned out nice. 

Also, a +1 on shaking some W-sauce into it. Literally, this was the first time I tried doing gumbo without it, and toward the end my taste-test was kinda "ehhhhh ok?"  Shook some W-sauce in and it was $$$$$.

CaptureGumbo.PNG.8cd4c5f08a25030a266fa8fb689869de.PNG

Edited by UncleBuck

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Several years ago my Cajun friend in Breaux Bridge taught me to put Worcester and/or soy sauce in gumbo.  That, in addition to homemade stock, were game changers.

I always credit some guy in South Austin, who I'm willing to bet doesn't live in south Austin.

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I would’ve changed my username in the move from Shaggy to Surly, but then folks would’ve grieved over the loss of “South Austin’s Mom.”

Yeah, my username doesn't really mean anything in the context of this board or shaggy, and my avatar is confusing when people meet me in person and I don't resemble Earl Campbell in any way, shape, or form.  But its weird when people change those things, so I stuck with it.

Edited by dcbc

• 5 weeks later...

2EC5846A-4AFF-4E53-93B3-67DFAE9DEB49.thumb.jpeg.8d776bfa858ef07d8f38f3c17fcf8009.jpegIs this too dark?  It was my first time making roux in the microwave.  About 1.5 cups flour., just over a cup of oil.  Probably a total of 11 minutes cooking time (divided and stirred twice during cooking).  It was a bit lighter when I took it out but continued to darker a bit as it cooled on the counter.  

Its always hard for me to tell if there is a burnt taste vs smokey.  Not sure what to think.

Edited by Lhorn
  • Like 1

Looks fine to me. My rule of thumb is that I add the trinity to my roux when it’s just about a shade lighter than I ultimately want it to be, because sautéing the vegetables for a while always seems to get the roux a notch or two darker. 

Also, the darker the roux, the better the flavor, but the darker it gets it loses its thickening ability. Saw that on Alton Brown when he went all science and shit on how to make roux. So if you go darker but want it thick, maybe add some okra and/or file at the end.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Looks fine to me. My rule of thumb is that I add the trinity to my roux when it’s just about a shade lighter than I ultimately want it to be, because sautéing the vegetables for a while always seems to get the roux a notch or two darker. 

Also, the darker the roux, the better the flavor, but the darker it gets it loses its thickening ability. Saw that on Alton Brown when he went all science and shit on how to make roux. So if you go darker but want it thick, maybe add some okra and/or file at the end.

This.  Prudomme talks about this in his original cookbook.  He strives for a black roux which is hard to do without burning it.  He also says that your color is perfectly fine for a good gumbo.  I find that sometimes if I get it too dark that I have a hard incorporating the roux into the stock.  Bottom line is that I get it to your color and then add the trinity as SA says.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

This.  Prudomme talks about this in his original cookbook.  He strives for a black roux which is hard to do without burning it.  He also says that your color is perfectly fine for a good gumbo.  I find that sometimes if I get it too dark that I have a hard incorporating the roux into the stock.  Bottom line is that I get it to your color and then add the trinity as SA says.

And is there a more glorious smell in the world than the incorporation of the trinity into hot roux?  Looking forward to Fall! 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Lhorn said:

I’m afraid that when I hear the roux and then cook the trinity, the roux will go too far  and burn.

Can I cook the trinity, add stock, bring to a boil then add the roux?  

I've never done it that way.  You shouldn't worry about burning the roux after you add the trinity, because adding the vegetables will help bring down the temperature to keep the roux from burning (assuming you're cooking your roux at around medium heat and not much hotter).  If you want to be super careful, turn down the heat on pot or take it off the heat altogether, but I've never had to do that.

Edited by South Austin
  • Like 2

I’m afraid that when I hear the roux and then cook the trinity, the roux will go too far  and burn.
Can I cook the trinity, add stock, bring to a boil then add the roux?  

I think sautéing the veg a bit is a great idea. I’m a milk chocolate roux guy because I end up burning it going much darker. Add the sautéed veg to the roux and cook a bit together then add the stock.

Big mistake most make: not having their meeze done before starting. Timing is everything here. So everything must be prepped and ready to go. Why do I know this? Too many burned dishes from winging it.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Big mistake most make: not having their meeze done before starting. Timing is everything here. So everything must be prepped and ready to go. Why do I know this? Too many burned dishes from winging it.

Yep, pretty basic rule if you add the trinity to the roux.  Make sure you have all the veggies chopped and ready to go, because you won't have time to do so once the roux is cooking, as you'll need constant stirring (unless, of course, you have a copilot in the kitchen who can do that for you).

Edited by South Austin
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, South Austin said:

Also, the darker the roux, the better the flavor, but the darker it gets it loses its thickening ability. Saw that on Alton Brown when he went all science and shit on how to make roux.

CSB: many years ago, my daughter did a "comparison of thickening quality" of various colors of roux for her science project.  Took first place in her class.  Did a basic white roux, a golden roux, a peanut butter roux, and a dark roux.  Mixed the same quantity of each with 1 cup of water, then timed how long it took to flow through a funnel.  Explained the thickening quality of gluten and how it was affected by heat (stealing liberally from Alton Brown's explanation).  I thought it was one of the kids' cooler school projects.  I really was amazed at the significant difference between even a peanut butter roux and a dark roux.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

CSB: many years ago, my daughter did a "comparison of thickening quality" of various colors of roux for her science project.  Took first place in her class.  Did a basic white roux, a golden roux, a peanut butter roux, and a dark roux.  Mixed the same quantity of each with 1 cup of water, then timed how long it took to flow through a funnel.  Explained the thickening quality of gluten and how it was affected by heat (stealing liberally from Alton Brown's explanation).  I thought it was one of the kids' cooler school projects.  I really was amazed at the significant difference between even a peanut butter roux and a dark roux.

Eighth grader and I were brainstorming and watching old Mythbusters episodes trying to come up with good science project ideas.  You post is well timed.  Thanks!

Reminds me of how he made beef debris sauce. Reduced it to the consistency of motor oil. So so good.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, dcbc said:

Seems like a lot of gumbo.  Are you planning to make a lot of gumbo?  What time?

I’ve got an 8quart cast iron that’s my go-to gumbo pot for years (decades…olddds). I was thinking about adding a large pot for gatherings (Holidays, Mardi Gras).  Come on up…bring some crawfish…

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, MalibuSheriff said:

A question for the Magnalite devotees - which model is your preferred gumbo pot?  13 quart, 17 quart or other?

All-Clad 24 qt Stock Pot has never let me down.  Regardless of brand, however, go big...you'll be ready for anything.

Edited by After irth

22 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

That is fuckin perfect. When convenient I’d like to see your recipe for the oven method of rouxage.

Would like a pic of finished product if you have one.

There's an Alton Brown recipe somewhere for oven method, but it's just whisk on stove in dutch oven until all the initial bubbles die down, then into oven at 350F. Come back and stir it every 30-45 mins. It takes about 2.5 hrs for my oven, but then back to stove to put in veggies.

I didn't take any pictures at the tailgate but do have some leftovers in the fridge.

• Hook 'Em 1

Made a great batch yesterday.  Got a good and dark roux, but as noted, I didn't get the thickening power.  I guess next time just make more roux? I did a cup of flour and half cup each of butter and oil. It was a pretty big pot.

The darker the roux, the less the thickening power. That’s why dark roux gumbo is often served with file.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I made another chx and sausage gumbo today. Colder than shit up here in Amarillo and a perfect day for gumbo. This one tasted much better than my last one, I think a key difference was my roux. I have always used the fat/flour ratio of 1:1, or very close to that. I recently read that the  1:1 ratio is supposed to be by weight not volume. Thought I would experiment on today’s roux. I used 1C of oil to 1 3/4C of flour, I think it made a big difference in both taste, and the ability to get the roux darker quicker. I also used a round le creuset Dutch oven in place of my coon ass magnalite pot. My magnalite is big and oval and harder to get in the corners while stirring. Anyway, todays was much better. Any of our gumbo pro staff have opinions on roux fat to oil ratios?

EEA51FE4-AEAE-4DA4-BCE1-A14C8907B685.jpeg

Edited by RMac5
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, RMac5 said:

I made another chx and sausage gumbo today. Colder than shit up here in Amarillo and a perfect day for gumbo. This one tasted much better than my last one, I think a key difference was my roux. I have always used the fat/flour ratio of 1:1, or very close to that. I recently read that the  1:1 ratio is supposed to be by weight not volume. Thought I would experiment on today’s roux. I used 1C of oil to 1 3/4C of flour, I think it made a big difference in both taste, and the ability to get the roux darker quicker. I also used a round le creuset Dutch oven in place of my coon ass magnalite pot. My magnalite is big and oval and harder to get in the corners while stirring. Anyway, todays was much better. Any of our gumbo pro staff have opinions on roux fat to oil ratios?

EEA51FE4-AEAE-4DA4-BCE1-A14C8907B685.jpeg

I’ve done both for several years. My Le Creuset works great for a low and slow roux.

And for the flour/oil ratio, most Cajun recipes I see call for a 1:1 ratio in terms of cups, whether it’s 1 cup flour and 1 cup oil, or 3/4 cup oil and 3/4 cup flour, whatever. I’ve found that regardless of how much oil I use for any particular batch, I always add about 1/2 cup more flour. 

Here’s a real game changer – instead of oil, use rendered duck fat. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

I’ve done both for several years. My Le Creuset works great for a low and slow roux.

And for the flour/oil ratio, most Cajun recipes I see call for a 1:1 ratio in terms of cups, whether it’s 1 cup flour and 1 cup oil, or 3/4 cup oil and 3/4 cup flour, whatever. I’ve found that regardless of how much oil I use for any particular batch, I always add about 1/2 cup more flour. 

Your new avatar is a game changer and is confusing.

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

Will try the duck fat next. I have been adding the Worcestershire sauce and it seems to really improve the flavor too. So much going on in a gumbo it’s hard to tell when you make a few changes which ones contribute the most. My favorite is chicken and sausage but think the next one will be a seafood version. Might be a turkey one with Thanksgiving being right around the corner.

On 11/14/2022 at 10:48 AM, Brisketexan said:

The darker the roux, the less the thickening power. That’s why dark roux gumbo is often served with file.

Thanks. I didn't know that. I finally got a batch really dark without burning it and was surprised at the soupiness of the finished gumbo. I thought that I might have done something wrong. The leftovers were nice and gravy like the next day, though.

ETA, I used schmaltz that I skimmed from the homemade chicken stock after it cooled. I wondered if that helped get it darker. Usually I get a little antsy and stop cooking the roux early.

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Thanks. I didn't know that. I finally got a batch really dark without burning it and was surprised at the soupiness of the finished gumbo. I thought that I might have done something wrong. The leftovers were nice and gravy like the next day, though.

Well, it's a known thing -- gumbo is actually better the next day.  I really hadn't thought about a darker roux gumbo thickening up some overnight, but that wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 2

What’s in your stock @dcbc? Looks like you have a bay leaf in there as well. I’m planning on a couple of onions, couple of carrots and a few stalks of celery. Thought about  adding some peppercorns but not sure since my turkey was fried and had a lot of seasoning to begin with. 

What’s in your stock [mention=548]dcbc[/mention]? Looks like you have a bay leaf in there as well. I’m planning on a couple of onions, couple of carrots and a few stalks of celery. Thought about  adding some peppercorns but not sure since my turkey was fried and had a lot of seasoning to begin with. 
It's the Emeril easy stick posted upthread.

Turkey carcass
4 qts water
2 onions quartered
3 stalks of celery cut into 4" pieces
4 bay leaves
1 T peppercorn
2 tsp salt

Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 hours. Run through a sieve and refrigerate for gumbo tomorrow (I'll skim the fat then)
  • Hook 'Em 3