Gumbo

1978horn

Am I misremembering, or did we decide in the last couple of years that it was a good move to serve the turkey gumbo over leftover cornbread dressing?  If someone could respond before breakfast tomorrow, that'd be great.  Asking for a friend.

Edited by dcbc

5 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Am I misremembering, or did we decide in the last couple of years that it was a good move to serve the turkey gumbo over leftover cornbread dressing?  If someone could respond before breakfast tomorrow, that'd be great.  Asking for a friend.

That certainly wouldn't be bad, but IMHO, the highest and best use of leftover cornbread dressing at breakfast is to crisp it up in an skillet and break some eggs over it for a cornbread dressing scramble.  There's no rules!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

That certainly wouldn't be bad, but IMHO, the highest and best use of leftover cornbread dressing at breakfast is to crisp it up in an skillet and break some eggs over it for a cornbread dressing scramble.  There's no rules!

I agree in theory.  But I've perfected it.  Behold, the dressing waffle with cranberry sauce!

Dressing-Waffle.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

I agree in theory.  But I've perfected it.  Behold, the dressing waffle with cranberry sauce!

Dressing-Waffle.jpg

This right here is magnificence. I’ve seen many wonderful things in life. The Sistine Chapel. Jimmy Street and Steve Wooster in the Wishbone. The Grand Canyon. Stonehenge. Stevie Ray Vaughan when he was Lou Ann Barton’s guitarist. Mt Fuji. This waffle ranks right up there.

It’s my opinion than many things make better waffled dishes than actual waffle batter. I make these jalapeño cornbread pancakes that I put into a waffle iron. Also hash browns are great in the waffle iron.
  • Hook 'Em 2

also my first!

stock with the carcass plus a good amount of the turkey base liquid from the roasting pan, i had dry-brined the bird so it was nice and salty. 

20221126_164708.thumb.jpg.894178f87f9961ea1d7607c14856f0ed.jpg

i didn't want to go to the store and i only had a red bp...otherwise i just followed my seafood recipe. i did add a few dashes of worcestershire sauce, saw that mentioned and thought it sounded interesting, and since i've only ever done seafood gumbo before anyway, why not. 

20221126_184011.thumb.jpg.f36c559cdd38991350b091b96b122053.jpg

a little taste of home while cooking 🧡🤘...

20221126_185721.thumb.jpg.212b601d611a96069871a5ee261f3afa.jpg

yeah, WAY better than turkey soup 😛😃

20221126_194305.thumb.jpg.bb870fbb130e2c35b7fda41c629370da.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, RMac5 said:

First turkey gumbo, made stock from two fried turkey’s, thanks for those that posted about homemade stock, really is worth it. Turkey and sausage bo, dark roux and dark beer for the fkn win!  Not a huge green bell pepper fan so I use half red bell and half green.

E189F70D-03BD-4950-9FD0-6D6D6350E149.jpeg

F10D14E9-F266-4946-B4FC-632F945589BC.jpeg

just realized your glass matches my beer 😄

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

How much roux for a 8 qts of gumbo? Does 3c oil / 3cup flour sound right.  2 roasted chickens, 2 lbs of andouille going in.  

the one i did above was 2 cups oil/flour for 2 quarts chicken stock, 1 quart gelatin water, half of the turducken (with cornbread dressing removed, that stuff i've been waffling), 1.5 lb andouille.  made about 5.5 quarts finished, so 3 cups sounds about right for 8. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/23/2022 at 6:18 PM, dcbc said:

We had some leftovers from last week's brisket cook and I remembered seeing on the BBQ thread about some place serving up brisket gumbo.  Looked in the fridge and had onions, celery but no green bell pepper.  So the pepper is yellow and we were out of green onions.  Smells good though and will have a lot of sausage and brisket in it.  Pictures when it's done.

On 4/23/2022 at 9:44 PM, dcbc said:

Mmm hmm

1756178e988e31c1dd26ac41fb44a232.jpg

Holy shit.  Brisket fucking gumbo.  Wow. 

Gonna document this recipe here cause this turned out pretty good and I might get laid tonight.  I have yet to make a gumbo where I did not wish I took the roux darker.  Founded around the Mrs Bs recipe:http://www.mrbsbistro.com/recipes_gumbo.php

3c oil/3c flour to make the roux, cooked in the oven a good bit of the way, finished on the stove top

2 onions

3 bell peppers

6 celery stalks

8 qts chicken stock, 6 made with the carcasses of the rotisserie chickens, 2 qts to supplement

3 links of sausage ~ 2 lbs

2 rotisserie chickens, could easily go to 3

2 tbsp creole seasoning

2 tsp black pepper

kosher salt (recipe linked is too oversalted imo with the creole seasoning, so i just add to taste, very little). 

1.5 tsp red pepper flakes

1.5 tsp light chili powder

1.5 tsp thyme

2 tbsp minced garlic

2 bay leaves

10 dashes of worsty sauce, based on this thread guidance

Sausage in for an hour or so, chicken for another 30 minutes, added a bag of frozen okra and took it another 10 or so. 

2-E05-F5-A9-AC8-C-41-A0-B8-F5-FA6742850-

C781-F994-ABEF-4992-8-A0-C-64-D8385-BF53

DA658208-8391-4-DF0-8-D29-8-D8-F0181227-

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

That’s a perfect roux in my eyes . If I try for darker I fuck it up and burn it. I don’t want my gumbo tasting like a Starbucks coffee. Looks great.

That’s a perfect roux in my eyes . If I try for darker I fuck it up and burn it. I don’t want my gumbo tasting like a Starbucks coffee. Looks great.

21 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47oj09wrfrs39n6p42y6

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Fine. Make me do all the work.

*married a Boudreaux, she actually does it all.

193552dfa40dcd349319c1e79d3c5e5e.jpg

You've got the right pot. I never have had a mangalite, neither did my mom, but some of the guys I learned tips from in Lafayette sure did.

Also, I just had a bowl of the chicken and sausage gumbo at Shoal Creek Saloon.  I used to say it was one of the better gumbos in town.  Meh.  Too watery, not enough flavor today.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2023 at 4:36 PM, BearSchlong said:

Here’s something to get us going for the fall.

That Rabideaux sausage is perfect.

Family reserve Tobasco is a game changer too.

66d1713dd2460b560c49a0fba2f178fa.jpg

The Family Reserve is awesome. I put it on all kinds of stuff and your post reminded me I’m out. Ordering more.

I’ve only been able to get in online or at the Tabasco store in Jackson Square. Where do you buy it?

On 11/25/2022 at 9:11 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

Thinking about it, I've also used a waffle iron with leftover cornbread dressing and served poached eggs over the crispy waffles.

i waffled leftover cornbread dressing when making the gumbo that's halfway up this page last year.  surprised i didn't post it, but it also didn't turn out near as well as @dcbc's

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

The Family Reserve is awesome. I put it on all kinds of stuff and your post reminded me I’m out. Ordering more.
I’ve only been able to get in online or at the Tabasco store in Jackson Square. Where do you buy it?

Online or when I visit Avery Island. Wife buys a case of it and gives some away for Christmas.
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, elfenix said:

i waffled leftover cornbread dressing when making the gumbo that's halfway up this page last year.  surprised i didn't post it, but it also didn't turn out near as well as @dcbc's

Did you score the dressing square like a pork belly in a crisscross pattern?

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chicken and sausage this past weekend.

Use duck fat for the roux
Zummo’s andouille sausage
Bone in skin on chicken thighs.
Added white pepper and a few other random herbs to the pot this time, will definitely do that again going forward.

Brown the sausages, remove, then brown chicken thighs, remove, then make roux in the rendered fat.

23cecebe640612a6bd2d451c9c6ef1d6.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Nice. How is the Zummos?

I picked up 15 lbs of Rabideaux sausage in Iowa tonight on my drive home from Baton Rouge. My wife said that should last us til March. Between gumbo, cabbage, and greens I hope it's eaten by NYE.

I like all of their sausage. Always try new ones, but inevitably go back to them. Use the andouille in gumbo and red beans and rice.

The regular (party time) is great on a bun / tortilla.
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, ScooterHTX said:

Chicken and sausage this past weekend.

Use duck fat for the roux
Zummo’s andouille sausage
Bone in skin on chicken thighs.
Added white pepper and a few other random herbs to the pot this time, will definitely do that again going forward.

Brown the sausages, remove, then brown chicken thighs, remove, then make roux in the rendered fat.

23cecebe640612a6bd2d451c9c6ef1d6.jpg

That looks really good.  One question.  Are those tomatoes?  Or is that okra that's picked up some spice?  I'll take my answer off the air.