Revolutionary New Sneakers!!!

phdhorn

Like this?:

Screen_Shot_2016-08-29_at_3.35.18_PM.png

It's yours for only $530!

logo-compact.svg

The Golden Goose Superstar Taped Sneaker is sold on nordstrom.com.

Hide caption

The Golden Goose Superstar Taped Sneaker is sold on nordstrom.com.  
NORDSTROM.COM SCREENGRAB

entertainthis

Nordstrom's taped, dirty-looking shoes on sale for a mere $530; shoppers outraged

CARLY MALLENBAUM  |  USA TODAY
Updated 9 hours ago

Buying "Dad shoes" is one thing. But purchasing new shoes with dirt and tape already on them – for more than $500 – is quite another.

At least that's according to plenty of shoppers who are sharing their anger on social media in response to a pair of shoes being sold on Nordstrom's site for $530. The Golden Goose sneakers, dubbed the "Superstar Taped Sneaker," boast "Crumply, hold-it-all-together tape" and "a grungy rubber cupsole." In other words, the shoes look as though they're dirty and falling apart.

Italian brand Golden Goose also offers plenty of other worn-looking sneakers for upwards of $500. They have a collection that, as it says on their website, includes footwear that combine "a refined and modern style with a vintage feeling."

Worokya Duncan wrote to Nordstrom on Twitter, complaining that the shoes are "awful" and "insensitive." She asked, "Who’s in the room when you design these?"

Nordstrom replied, "We appreciate your feedback. We’re always looking to bring in new, different, and unique products. We realize taste is subjective and not every customer will like every product we carry. Rest assured your comments were shared with our teams. Thank you."

Nordstrom has not responded to USA TODAY's request for comment.

Duncan tweeted back: "This isn’t about taste. It’s about not recognizing that a store, for which I have a card, doesn’t get that poverty isn’t fashionable. I grew up ridiculously poor & could not afford the 'finer' things. That my embarrassment & struggle is being marketed disgusts me."

Other people on social media chimed in that they "wouldn't even take the shoes for free" and "For the low low price of $500, you too can look like you don't have any money!"

In Nordstrom's defense, many buyers shell out extra money for new shirts that appear distressed and pants that are preripped. But scuffed up sneakers? To some, that's taking the worn trend too far.

But Nordstrom's line for what is "too far" seems to be different than the general public's. The company recently sold a pair of PRPS men's pants, caked with fake dirt, for $425; and a pair of Topshop "mom jeans" with see-through knees for $95.

Originally Published 8:33 p.m. EDT Sep. 20, 2018
Updated 9 hours ago

Edited by phdhorn

I'm surprised this brand is still able to pull this scam off.  CSB - I was sitting at an evening meeting in Manhattan about 2 years ago exactly.  One of the women who was there is always dressed in expensive-ass, high-fashion clothing.  She probably pulls down about $700k a year, is married to a guy who pulls about 1.5-2x that much, and other than her stupid expensive apartment in CPS, her clothes are their biggest expense.  It's their money, and it's her thing, so whatever.  She's also pretty damn well-built so the stuff she wears is pretty fitting.  In general, it's nice scenery and catches the eye.  Fucking pictures and rules and all that not worth losing my job.

Anyway, at this particular meeting it was about 7:00 and she was dressed up to go out that night.  Black evening dress, hair up, all that shit.  But on her feet were some hightops that looked like Converse All-Stars made out of a metallic gold quilt.  It was like she raided the closet of some female rap star from 1997.  An she was showing the fuckers off  - "you like my new Golden Gooses?" I asked if she was going to change to some dressy shoes before she went out, and it was like I farted in her face.  Those were her dressy shoes.

42 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I'm surprised this brand is still able to pull this scam off.  CSB - I was sitting at an evening meeting in Manhattan about 2 years ago exactly.  One of the women who was there is always dressed in expensive-ass, high-fashion clothing.  She probably pulls down about $700k a year, is married to a guy who pulls about 1.5-2x that much, and other than her stupid expensive apartment in CPS, her clothes are their biggest expense.  It's their money, and it's her thing, so whatever.  She's also pretty damn well-built so the stuff she wears is pretty fitting.  In general, it's nice scenery and catches the eye.  Fucking pictures and rules and all that not worth losing my job.

Anyway, at this particular meeting it was about 7:00 and she was dressed up to go out that night.  Black evening dress, hair up, all that shit.  But on her feet were some hightops that looked like Converse All-Stars made out of a metallic gold quilt.  It was like she raided the closet of some female rap star from 1997.  An she was showing the fuckers off  - "you like my new Golden Gooses?" I asked if she was going to change to some dressy shoes before she went out, and it was like I farted in her face.  Those were her dressy shoes.

the Haute Sneaker trend is about the worst thing to happen in this decade.... all started with the Air Force One throwback shit

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

only stupid people would pay a shit load of money to dress like a poor.  

to poor people, these shoes are called the hand me downs and are worn with shame.

Yeah, if you’re ultra international super rich buying extremely expensive things and treating them like shit is really in right now.

As a matter of fact about 6 months ago they busted a con artist in Manhattan who was “friends” with several ultra clicks. Basically, she just showed up at the hot spots/Hamptons/Monico in worn $15k jacket and $5k purse. That was it. She was in because she was there and only poors take care of expensive things.  

9 hours ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

Man I'm sitting on a gold mine! I've got at least five pair of these sneakers hanging out in the garage that I rotate for yard work. Hell, if I gather all my kids old soccer cleats and volleyball shoes and rebrand them as a retro age sports collection I'm talking "Hamm six fig" money.

I've got some yard work shoes with the soles held on by Gorilla Glue. Probably fetch good money.