The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

12 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

There's Donald Trump's victory in 2016 over a bevy of actual conservatives, including Ted Cruz, Rick Santorum, Carly Fiorina, Chris Christie, Jeb Bush, Bobby Jindal, Scott Walker, Mike Huckabee, and Rick Perry.

part of this might be that single-vote elections are a shitty way to express preferences. and primaries complicate that because only weirdos vote in primaries. 

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

There's a Whataburger I'll occasionally stop at if I'm running really late home from work that gives paper straws at the drive thru.  Seems out of place for a Whataburger in Texas.

All environmental politics of the plastic straw aside, I don't mind the paper straws at all. I don't see what the big deal is.  I do find it a little ironic that we're saving the Earth with paper straws while using a Styrofoam cup and a plastic lid.

• Like 1

HO-LEE-SHIT.  That was glorious.  I may go back to my distaste for Schmidt after the election, but dude definitely has a way with words.  Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if he had already prepared that diatribe for the day that he could bait Marco and Ted into the same Twitter spat.  Regardless, kudos to him.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Are you all following the beef between Steve Schmidt and Ted Cruz et al on Twitter and I missed seeing it somewhere?

It is fascinating.

I think The Lincoln Project is getting under certain people's skin and it's showing.

It started with this:

Steve Schmidt saw that and commented with this:

And then, Ted Cruz joined in to defend Rubio:

And then Steve sat down and began to type furiously and I have spoilered it because it is glorious but loooong. Do read it, the end is worth it.

Hide contents

knock out animation GIF by Rough Sketchz

50 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Are you all following the beef between Steve Schmidt and Ted Cruz et al on Twitter and I missed seeing it somewhere?

It is fascinating.

I think The Lincoln Project is getting under certain people's skin and it's showing.

It started with this:

Steve Schmidt saw that and commented with this:

And then, Ted Cruz joined in to defend Rubio:

And then Steve sat down and began to type furiously and I have spoilered it because it is glorious but loooong. Do read it, the end is worth it.

Hide contents

well that was cathartic. Thanks

42 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Summary: we, and the Republic, are toast.  The GOP will not go quietly.  They won't go at all.  And they will never allow a fair election.

part of this might be that single-vote elections are a shitty way to express preferences. and primaries complicate that because only weirdos vote in primaries. 
Trump has maintained 80-90 percent approval among Republicans since inauguration. There was no serious primary challenge. He will win 90 percent of Republicans in the election. He is what they want.

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:
On 8/20/2020 at 1:18 AM, elfenix said:

Trump has maintained 80-90 percent approval among Republicans since inauguration. There was no serious primary challenge. He will win 90 percent of Republicans in the election. He is what they want.

when the 65% of republicans who didn't want him at the start of primary season are split between 20 other guys who might as well be the republican rosencrantz and guildenstern that's what happens - no serious primary challenge.  hell, if it was trump, rosencrantz, and guildenstern, one of the latter two might have won the primary season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What Steve Schmidt wrote is probably the best take down of two lying jackasses that has ever appeared on twitter.  It needs a new word to describe it.  If Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio were samurai, they would have had to stick a sword in their guts after reading it.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2

Not sure if this has been previously posted but worthwhile read:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/08/20/republican-party-has-become-smash-and-grab-operation/

The Republican Party has become a smash-and-grab operation

Spoiler

President Trump’s former campaign chief (not the one arrested Thursday) Paul Manafort was convicted of multiple felonies, as was Trump’s former deputy campaign manager Rick Gates, his former lawyer Michael Cohen, his former fix-it man Roger Stone and his former national security adviser Michael Flynn. Trump, according to special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s report on Russian interference in the 2016 presidential campaign, engaged in at least 10 categories of conduct that contain elements of the crime of obstruction of justice. The Senate Intelligence Committee believes that Trump lied in written answers given under oath about his discussion of WikiLeaks with Stone. The Manhattan district attorney (who won a big victory on Thursday regarding Trump’s objections to a subpoena) is investigating Trump for financial crimes.

Meanwhile, the National Rifle Association has been accused of misusing donors’ money, and its longtime executive director, Wayne LaPierre, has been accused of using the foundation’s money for his own benefit. Jerry Falwell Jr., who headed Liberty University, was recently put on leave after sharing a photo with a young woman (not his wife); both had their pants unzipped.

Given that the right wing has become a coven of crooks and con men, it was not a surprise at all when former Trump campaign chief Stephen K. Bannon was arrested Thursday on a boat (by officials from the U.S. Postal Service, which sounds like an over-the-top plot point in a bad movie) on suspicion of bilking people out of money for a private build-the-wall scam. (Trump’s fear-mongering that we needed a border wall, constant lying about how much has been built and snatching money from the Pentagon to fund part of it are not criminal acts. But they are evidence of the disdain with which the right wing and the Republican Party specifically hold their fellow Americans who have bought into the xenophobic tripe the far-right peddles.)

What is Fox News (disclaimer: I am an MSNBC contributor) other than a propaganda machine trying to con viewers into believing in a parallel universe in which Ukraine has the Democratic National Committee’s server and Trump is the victim of the deep state? What are right-wing columnists and talk show hosts — who know better but recycle Trump’s exaggerations, conspiracies and bigotry — other than snake-oil salesmen who figure their fans will buy just about anything they say so long as they slam liberals and play to the White grievance mentality that has replaced conservatism as the GOP’s animating force? (Imagine waking up every morning to defend a president who embraces Confederate symbols, QAnon and Russian propaganda.)

Whether conduct is criminal or “merely” deceitful, the Republican Party and a slew of advocacy groups, think tanks and media personalities have learned to make money off people they treat as rubes. The people they pitch to will buy that a caravan is invading the United States. They will believe President Barack Obama “spied” on Trump. They will take seriously the notion that Trump succeeded in slaying the pandemic.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) knows that Ukraine did not try to manipulate the election, but he will repeat Russian propaganda because that’s what is wanted by the base, the low-information voters he exploits. The entire Republican Senate, with the exception of Mitt Romney of Utah, will pretend an infamous phone call between Trump and Ukraine’s president was perfect, or that extorting a foreign government to help in reelecting a president is not impeachable anyway. To stay in the good graces of her party, Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) will tell us that Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh supports Roe v. Wade and that tax cuts will pay for themselves. Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) will look at the Senate Intelligence report rife with eye-popping evidence of collusion between Russian operatives and the Trump campaign but try to gaslight the public by saying it disproves collusion. That’s what the right-wing audience wants and expects them to say.

The Republican Party and its attendant operations personify Eric Hoffer’s admonition that “every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.” In that sense, the president who bilked unwary customers with Trump University, whose charitable foundation was shut down and who paid hush money to women with whom he cheated on his wife is the perfect person to head this party. Trump has used the office as another profit-making scheme, shepherding foreigners and political allies to frequent his properties and allowing his daughter and son-in-law to make millions while nominally serving in office.

The reason Republicans turned their party over to Trump and feel no compunction about reversing one position after another should be obvious: Many of them do not believe in much of anything other than getting rich and maintaining their grip on power. The party has become a smash-and-grab operation — smash democratic norms and institutions, and grab the limelight and cash for however long they can.

And consider this: If we know about all the misdeeds, the crimes and the lies while Trump is in office, what are we going to find once he is gone?

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

And consider this: If we know about all the misdeeds, the crimes and the lies while Trump is in office, what are we going to find once he is gone?

And....this.

Presuming that we actually get past the Trump era (if he wins a second term, there is no getting past it -- the future will just be a continuation of the now cemented-into-place racket), the shit that's going to come out.....  Well, it SHOULD curl all your hair.  But half the country will still call it "fake news" and shit.

Y'all gotta remember, nothing matters.  And it never will, ever again.  That die has been cast, the world has changed, and this is the way it is now.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Y'all gotta remember, nothing matters.  And it never will, ever again.  That die has been cast, the world has changed, and this is the way it is now.

You're a smart fella and all, but the eternal pronouncements are silly. If you are a gifted oracle, why did you vote R lo so many years? I get it, shit's unbearably dire, but you do no one any favors speaking of a bleak future with such certainty. 

1 minute ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

You're a smart fella and all, but the eternal pronouncements are silly. If you are a gifted oracle, why did you vote R lo so many years? I get it, shit's unbearably dire, but you do no one any favors speaking of a bleak future with such certainty. 

If it was schtick, it would not be funny or entertaining.  It's not schtick, so you either tolerate, mock, or ignore.  It's well past the point of believability.  It's a kind of fan fiction that M. Night Shyamalan conjures up in his imagination when writing a new script.

Just now, Degenerate Gardner said:

I voted wrong because I believed in lies.

Once you stop believing the lies, and realize that they are who they say they are now, their track record correlates 100% (as the article cited the last couple of days says, "we thought racism was a recessive trait in the GOP -- turns out it's a dominant one.")  Also, the things I'm observing are matters of historical precedent and repeatedly observed human nature.  This is how this shit goes -- the path of fascism and authoritarianism isn't a mystery.  It's been observed several times.  This is what it looks like.  It doesn't take a sage to say what the next steps on the path look like -- just look at the examples. 

I'm not a "gifted oracle."  I'm like any Texas fan who watched a Greg Davis offense -- we all KNEW a 2 yard out pattern was coming on 3rd and 10, and we all KNEW that it was more likely to result in a pick 6 than a first down, and sure enough, that's what GD called and ran.  We weren't oracles.  We'd just seen this shit enough to know.

What's happening here in the US has happened elsewhere.  It's great to be hopeful that THIS time, it will all work out, the D won't know exactly what's coming and either blow up the play or pick it off....but look back at the numbers for the results of this play call. The odds are way against us.

WHc7F5gZyeAAxYmn2o0cV6dReGVOpZ9sfDzC-ezD

2 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

If it was schtick, it would not be funny or entertaining.  It's not schtick, so you either tolerate, mock, or ignore.  It's well past the point of believability.  It's a kind of fan fiction that M. Night Shyamalan conjures up in his imagination when writing a new script.

I was full of shit and being ridiculous when I said Trump would win the nomination.

I was full of shit and being ridiculous when I said he would win the presidency.

Stop believing in the good outcome.  The drivers of this situation -- the American people -- are not driving in that direction.

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm not a "gifted oracle."  I'm like any Texas fan who watched a Greg Davis offense -- we all KNEW a 2 yard out pattern was coming on 3rd and 10, and we all KNEW that it was more likely to result in a pick 6 than a first down, and sure enough, that's what GD called and ran.  We weren't oracles.  We'd just seen this shit enough to know.

WHc7F5gZyeAAxYmn2o0cV6dReGVOpZ9sfDzC-ezD

Low blow bringing this shit up right as football anticipation is usually at its highest, but isn't because the season will undoubtedly be cancelled.

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I was full of shit and being ridiculous when I said Trump would win the nomination.

I was full of shit and being ridiculous when I said he would win the presidency.

Stop believing in the good outcome.  The drivers of this situation -- the American people -- are not driving in that direction.

You don't / won't / can't embrace nuance.

I think most everyone that pays attention to this shit has their cornhole's puckered.  

You're just the guy that keeps obnoxiously waving the "THE END IS NEAR" sign in everyone's face.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

You don't / won't / can't embrace nuance.

I think most everyone that pays attention to this shit has their cornhole's puckered.  

You're just the guy that keeps obnoxiously waving the "THE END IS NEAR" sign in everyone's face.

while also ignoring any good shit that is going on. it really has gotten tired. 

11 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

while also ignoring any good shit that is going on. it really has gotten tired. 

I'll bite. What "good shit" is going on? Anything positive these days is completely overshadowed by the fact that 40% of the country, and half of voters in this country, not only support but literally worship a racist liar who acts like a toddler and made him president for life (they don't care that he says he should get a third term they support it). I'm struggling to see anything positive in politics right now. I'm voting for the democratic ticket, and even if they win, they will only bring us back to a minor sense of normalcy, but won't change the things that are really hurting the country. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

The polls.

Yeah, they said Hillary would win big too. And we know that the republicans can get fewer votes and still win, and they see nothing wrong with that outcome. It makes zero sense to me that people can still support him, but they do, in large numbers. Voter suppression is in full gear. They are colluding with or just sitting back and allowing foreign interference. Polls don't account for how fucking stupid our country is (that includes people who don't like trump but will allow him to win by not voting because Biden-Harris aren't pure enough for self-righteous progressives). I'm not going to pretend that a trump loss is inevitable, because I think the opposite is true.

Edited by 'stache

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yeah, they said Hillary would win big too. And we know that the republicans can get fewer votes and still win, and they see nothing wrong with that outcome. It makes zero sense to me that people can still support him, but they do, in large numbers. Voter suppression is in full gear. Polls don't account for how fucking stupid our country is (that includes people who don't like trump but will allow him to win by not voting because Biden-Harris aren't pure enough for self-righteous progressives). I'm not going to pretend that a trump loss is inevitable, because I think the opposite is true.

The polls did not say that Hillary would “win big.” Thats bullshit. 

The polls did say that she would win and the polls were right in every single state with three large exceptions, Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

Manafort and the Russians managed to steal those 3 states by less than 80k votes, and here we are. 

Biden is much much farther ahead Of trump than Hillary. Y’alls “it’s all over!” negativity is frankly annoying as shit. Deal in reality, not made up fan fiction. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

The polls did not say that Hillary would “win big.” Thats bullshit. 

The polls did say that she would win and the polls were right in every single state with three large exceptions, Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

Manafort and the Russians managed to steal those 3 states by less than 80k votes, and here we are. 

Biden is much much farther ahead Of trump than Hillary. Y’alls “it’s all over!” negativity is frankly annoying as shit. Deal in reality, not made up fan fiction. 

And after getting away with it in 2016, and receiving confirmation that there will be no consequences for stealing an election, I'm sadly sure they're going to do it again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

And after getting away with it in 2016, and receiving confirmation that there will be no consequences for stealing an election, I'm sadly sure they're going to do it again.

It won’t be close enough to steal. 

After next weeks RNC virtual shitshow it will become clear to all but the idiot Trumpkins that trump has zero chance of winning. Only the electoral college and racist states will save him from a Mondale style rout.

I know this board is filled to the brim with negative nancies who think otherwise but trump won’t be able to stop the election that throws his fat orange ass out of the White House and into prison where he belongs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/19/2020 at 12:48 PM, Biff Tannen said:

The reality that Republicans are absolute fucking shitbags that want to incinerate any sense of decency and sanity we had left in this world?

It is why I support universal deportation for all registered republicans.  I am happy to send them to Siberia, North Korea, or drop them off at Antarctica. 

• Like 1

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult