The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

12 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

https://truthout.org/articles/republican-states-sue-to-let-schools-block-lgbtq-children-from-getting-meals/

I remember when I was younger I used to think a weak point of a movie was a villain that was just too cartoonishly evil.  Oh to be that naïve again.

Taking food from kids has been a conservative cornerstone since at least 1971. See Maggie Thatcher, the milk snatcher.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, GopherRock said:

Taking food from kids has been a conservative cornerstone since at least 1971. See Maggie Thatcher, the milk snatcher.

to be fair, i don't think they are prohibiting lgbtq kids from getting food/school lunches.  The aim is to get explicit protection for lgbtq kids

Organizations receiving FNS funding must also update their individual nondiscrimination policies to include explicit protections for LGBTQ+ people, the department said

if the school is receiving USDA funding.  this would get rolled up under title 9.  headline is a little misleading in that it suggests schools are taking food away from kids because of their sexual orientation.

this seems like a better article explaining it  https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/equality/3478940-usda-launches-initiative-to-combat-discrimination-against-lgbtq-people-in-accessing-nutrition-programs/

predictably, GQP is pushing back on offering explicit protections for lgbtq kids (while still providing lunches and such equally to all kids)

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

to be fair, i don't think they are prohibiting lgbtq kids from getting food/school lunches.  The aim is to get explicit protection for lgbtq kids

if the school is receiving USDA funding.  this would get rolled up under title 9.  headline is a little misleading in that it suggests schools are taking food away from kids because of their sexual orientation.

this seems like a better article explaining it  https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/equality/3478940-usda-launches-initiative-to-combat-discrimination-against-lgbtq-people-in-accessing-nutrition-programs/

predictably, GQP is pushing back on offering explicit protections for lgbtq kids (while still providing lunches and such equally to all kids)

Headline isn't misleading for gay people.  We know and have always known that in this country being gay is a reason that can be used to deny us services, to fire us, to deny housing, etc.  depending on where we live.  In Florida they are making gay teachers take pictures of their spouses off their desk and to never tell their students they are gay if they want to keep their job.  It isn't that much of a stretch for those schools to also start retaliating against students who are open about being gay.  We've seen schools use all kinds of tactics to discourage gay kids from organizing, from being open, etc, with them not enforcing bullying rules when the target is gay, by disallowing any kind of gay groups or even gay straight alliance groups, by firing teachers who come out, and any number of other things. 

So yeah, when I see that the Republicans are against this, I am specifically seeing that Republicans want to make it easier for schools to use breakfasts/lunches as a tool to keep gay people in line.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Headline isn't misleading for gay people.  We know and have always known that in this country being gay is a reason that can be used to deny us services, to fire us, to deny housing, etc.  depending on where we live.  In Florida they are making gay teachers take pictures of their spouses off their desk and to never tell their students they are gay if they want to keep their job.  It isn't that much of a stretch for those schools to also start retaliating against students who are open about being gay.  We've seen schools use all kinds of tactics to discourage gay kids from organizing, from being open, etc, with them not enforcing bullying rules when the target is gay, by disallowing any kind of gay groups or even gay straight alliance groups, by firing teachers who come out, and any number of other things. 

So yeah, when I see that the Republicans are against this, I am specifically seeing that Republicans want to make it easier for schools to use breakfasts/lunches as a tool to keep gay people in line.  

appreciate your perspective.  i have not walked a mile in your shoes and yes, schools are trending (more) anti gay and are taking away and preventing existing measures to provide aid, acceptance or common decency for gay students.  i just posted what i saw as the underlying facts because the headline was a little misleading wrt to the mechanics of what was going on.  it does not make it any less of an attack on the gay community.  I hope my post was not taken as support of the policy.

• Hook 'Em 2

“I hate every single person! I would never go out of my way to help anyone! The world would be much better if we killed the blacks, Mexicans and Jews! I put all my money into Trump merchandise which I display at all times!

Jesus is king! Praise the lord!”