The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

On 11/24/2022 at 6:14 PM, Burt said:

The patrons look exactly as you'd expect. The Jesus/Trump attire worn by the staff is on point, too.

1200x0.thumb.jpg.df62dfb22b0ea6278db46316a316ef12.jpg

And if they aren't renaming their onion rings as handcuffs on the menu then they have no business running a restaurant. 

attachment-252114819_395005188836526_7723900491273382880_n1.jpg.fe968092ec190f0c07ac91b9ffd4c9b2.jpg

There’s a modern-day Flannery O’Connor novel waiting to be written in that first picture. 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

McCarthy: “No Person held to Service or Labour in one State, under the Laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in Consequence of any Law or Regulation therein, be discharged from such Service or Labour, but shall be delivered up on Claim of the Party to whom such Service or Labour may be due.”

GOP Reps:  Wooooooooo!  America!  That’s my Constitution!

McCarthy: Fuck!  You weren’t supposed to clap at this part!  Wait until I get to the amendments that undo this!  

GOP Reps:  Undo?  But … awwwww.  Hey, this Constitution blows!  Let’s talk about Hunter Biden.

The Constitution is teaching CRT. 

BANNED!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/24/2022 at 8:22 PM, Goredho said:

I’m only shocked someone hasn’t created a Trump-ee’s.

They do, they’re called Bucees. 

On 11/25/2022 at 12:00 PM, Bullneck said:

Apparently Hitler hair is a thing.

2457.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=

Uh, yeah man. It’s been a nationalist thing forever. Go look at Richard Spencer. They’ve been using it as a signal for decades. 

• Rage+1 2

5 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

They're prepared to go down in a blaze of glory defending 'murica from the liberals and their woke agenda!!!11!1

Whenever I see the old, obese farts in their rascals dressed in flag shirts I'm reminded of my FIL. I'm actually quite thankful that he died on Jan 5th and didn't spend his last day cheering on the insurrectionists from his deathbed. Anyway, late in Obama's 2nd term his paranoia was at an absolute peak. My BIL signed the two of them up to take a tactical weapons defense class put on by some "former ex-special forces" yahoos down south of San Antonio. Now, the FIL was an army ambulance driver in Korea in the mid '60s and had spent his entire life shooting every type of firearm imaginable so he wasn't going to learn more about gun operations. No, this was about how to maneuver, advance and defend in all types of physical environments from urban spaces, buildings, and lightly wooded outdoor terrain. The FIL lived on 250 acres in the middle of ranches 5X that size and bigger between Kerrville and Junction. There was about a .000000001% chance he'd ever encounter a situation to utilize any of this training. Furthermore, he was an arthritic, deaf, chain smoker with COPD so bad he wouldn't be able to walk 50 yards at a leisurely pace without stopping to sit down (and have a smoke, of course).

We found out about this class a few weeks prior to his going when my wife and I were out for a visit. He was on his back porch, drunk, and complaining about his latest aches and pains, and bemoaning his concern about how he might not be able to physically make it through the course which at some point would require him to "run" a certain distance, drop to all fours, do a belly crawl under wire, then get up and shoot his AR at targets. He was afraid he wouldn't be able to get down on his knees and elbows, let alone get back up after crawling, and that this would prevent him from "passing" the course. I asked him how much this course cost. He said "$1,500 for two days. But don't tell anyone", meaning his son paid for it since the FIL didn't have a pot to piss in. I just started laughing to which he replied "what's so funny?" I told him that his certificate of completion was printed out the minute the check cleared, and they'd just fleeced him and his son for 3 grand but hey, maybe they'd have a fun weekend plinking targets together. 

Fast forward to last February when we were packing up the ranch and getting ready to move the MIL to her new place. There amongst the pile of his belongings was his certificate from the class. My MIL was the one who found it and asked if anyone knew what it was for. I didn't say a word, and her son said something like "that must have been something dad did with his buddies." It got put in a box with his MAGA hat.

You should’ve given your BIL a frame for his certificate as a Christmas gift. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

interesting video talking about Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s Theory of Stupidity and how stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice, because at least with malice you can rise up and expose it and defeat it with force, but with stupidity, we are defenseless, because protests or use of force cannot change stupidity. In their stupidity, they are self-satisfied, and because they are easily irritated, they quickly go on the attack .  @Brisketexan will appreciate this.

For those not familiar with Bonhoeffer, he was an anti-Nazi pastor who was killed - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietrich_Bonhoeffer

This applies to the GQP/Qanon/etc,

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

So many threads this could have gone in.

They nailed Ted Cruz, Fred Trump, Boebert, MTG, Charlie Kirk, Gaetz, etc. but especially Trump and his followers (dinosaurs and zombies).

Also, MTG biting the head off of somebody was something.

But holy fuck, Ted Cruz around 9:30 as the slug…nightmare fuel

Edited by atomheartbevo

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

interesting video talking about Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s Theory of Stupidity and how stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice, because at least with malice you can rise up and expose it and defeat it with force, but with stupidity, we are defenseless, because protests or use of force cannot change stupidity. In their stupidity, they are self-satisfied, and because they are easily irritated, they quickly go on the attack .  @Brisketexan will appreciate this.

For those not familiar with Bonhoeffer, he was an anti-Nazi pastor who was killed - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietrich_Bonhoeffer

Yep.  And the difference today isn't that there are more stupid people - I suspect their proportions remain relatively constant.  It's that they are now empowered and weaponized.  Between the ubiquity of internet access and social media, AND a certain political party happily fanning the flames of idiocy, we've created an AGGRESSIVELY stupid segment of our population.  And that is, to put it mildly, a big fucking problem.

Oh, and we stumbled upon Bonhoeffer's grave a few years ago on a sunrise walk down a quiet Berlin street.  The cemetery is full of graves of notables, as well as numerous victims of the Battle of Berlin in '45.  Gravestones are pockmarked with bullet holes, as the battle raged all around and in it.  It's a pretty profound place.

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Yes. They have a phone in one hand, a gun in the other.

And somebody behind them whispering in their ear, "Serve me and I promise I will give you the life I've been promising you for the last 50 years.  Hurry, for you are old and running out of time..."

14 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

And it seems like it's always the "Muh Freedomz!" crowd that is most willing to be led...

I would disagree.   We only have to look at China (largest example by population), Russia and mulitlple other places that have not enjoyed the same sort of "freedom" that we have.   They just want someone else to make the decisions.   Russia has existed in a serfdom-like environment for several millenium.   That didn't really end under Alexander II it just took in a different name until the Reds took over in the 20s and then the current leadership.   Sure, people "own" things now and small businesses exist.  But a ruling elite controls nearly everything.   The same is true for China and too many other places.    

They ones with the gold makes the rules.   They also pick the leaders.    It's just packaged in different ways across the globe. 

• Hook 'Em 1

ok so i don't know if this has been posted about in any other thread (or possibly on another board) but i just listened to the first 5 episodes of this on my flight back from houston.  special thanks to southwest flight 1791 for being 45 minutes late, having mechanical issues, no wifi, and no ice because of some water issue in houston.  excellent.

anyway, i'm not a big maddow person, but this really isn't about her, she's just one of several narrators/voices.  it contains very little information i was aware of before, and i'm curious if the real students of history among us here knew about some of this shit.  it's scary in the way that it's so realistic and sounds crazy and far-fetched, but is it?  here's a quick writeup on ultra, which is what made me download it at the airport.

as it states in (2) above, she doesn't directly tie it to trump or today's far right antics (so far there are zero mentions).  she simply tells the story of stuff that happened in the late 30's/early 40's.  but the buzzwords are there.  the non-denial denials.  the pushback from law enforcement.  the thought of investigating the investigators.  dismissing routine inquiries as "a hoax" or "witch hunt"

i'm also almost done with ken burns "america and the holocaust" which ties in perfectly in many ways with this podcast.  there was a line i heard recently, i think in the lincoln project doc series, where someone was explaining these groups and our slow reaction and how in many cases it was too late or people were apathetic because their specific group wasn't being attacked or marginalized.  one of the guys said, "well, i'll never again wonder how this could've happened in germany in the 1930's."

the presumption is that "we've seen it before, we've learned too much, it can't ever happen again, not on my watch."  that assumption is based on people stepping in and stopping things.  that assumption implies that for it to happen again, it would spring up from nowhere while we were distracted, which is impossible because of 24 hour news and social media.  what it doesn't assume is that this isn't about people "letting it happen", it's about corrupt shitheads actively "trying to make it happen" in plain sight.

i get why people get disengaged (unengaged?) with this.  it's frustrating and depressing.  but we're watching it unfold and the midterms were a really big moment for us nationally - especially too on a number of local levels.  curious to hear what others think (also i'm only halfway done).

• Hook 'Em 5

27 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

ok so i don't know if this has been posted about in any other thread (or possibly on another board) but i just listened to the first 5 episodes of this on my flight back from houston.  special thanks to southwest flight 1791 for being 45 minutes late, having mechanical issues, no wifi, and no ice because of some water issue in houston.  excellent.

anyway, i'm not a big maddow person, but this really isn't about her, she's just one of several narrators/voices.  it contains very little information i was aware of before, and i'm curious if the real students of history among us here knew about some of this shit.  it's scary in the way that it's so realistic and sounds crazy and far-fetched, but is it?  here's a quick writeup on ultra, which is what made me download it at the airport.

as it states in (2) above, she doesn't directly tie it to trump or today's far right antics (so far there are zero mentions).  she simply tells the story of stuff that happened in the late 30's/early 40's.  but the buzzwords are there.  the non-denial denials.  the pushback from law enforcement.  the thought of investigating the investigators.  dismissing routine inquiries as "a hoax" or "witch hunt"

i'm also almost done with ken burns "america and the holocaust" which ties in perfectly in many ways with this podcast.  there was a line i heard recently, i think in the lincoln project doc series, where someone was explaining these groups and our slow reaction and how in many cases it was too late or people were apathetic because their specific group wasn't being attacked or marginalized.  one of the guys said, "well, i'll never again wonder how this could've happened in germany in the 1930's."

the presumption is that "we've seen it before, we've learned too much, it can't ever happen again, not on my watch."  that assumption is based on people stepping in and stopping things.  that assumption implies that for it to happen again, it would spring up from nowhere while we were distracted, which is impossible because of 24 hour news and social media.  what it doesn't assume is that this isn't about people "letting it happen", it's about corrupt shitheads actively "trying to make it happen" in plain sight.

i get why people get disengaged (unengaged?) with this.  it's frustrating and depressing.  but we're watching it unfold and the midterms were a really big moment for us nationally - especially too on a number of local levels.  curious to hear what others think (also i'm only halfway done).

McCarthyism and the Hollywood Blacklist from the 50s is within recent enough history that Americans, especially those older than 50, should have knowledge of when we turned on ourselves.   And it goes back beyond that to the 20s (Red Scare) and union busting from the 1870s on.   Those are just some of the political ones related to communism and labor.   That doesn't take into account various political parties of that have had significant anti-immigrant planks in their plan.

Americans are clueless for the most part about what has happened outside of our borders as well.   A significant amount of populist leaders over the last 80-100 years has used this method get power and keep it.  

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

McCarthyism and the Hollywood Blacklist from the 50s is within recent enough history that Americans, especially those older than 50, should have knowledge of when we turned on ourselves.   And it goes back beyond that to the 20s (Red Scare) and union busting from the 1870s on.   Those are just some of the political ones related to communism and labor.   That doesn't take into account various political parties of that have had significant anti-immigrant planks in their plan.

Americans are clueless for the most part about what has happened outside of our borders as well.   A significant amount of populist leaders over the last 80-100 years has used this method get power and keep it.  

and it made perfect sense at the brink of our entrance into ww2 that us entering the war was going to be bad for germany (obviously).  so to enlist american politicians to be isolationist/pro-america/america first enabled them to be quietly pro-nazi under the guise of being anti-war.  it was a pretty genius move by germans infiltrating our govt.

to think that shit isn't being constantly attempted today is heartbreakingly naive.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

1 - Of course it's happening here.

2 - And I'm not sure what's worse, the disengaged public that isn't up in arms about it, or the fact that it's being championed and facilitated by one of our two mainstream parties.

3 - along these lines, one of the most horrifying museum exhibits I've ever seen was in the German History museum in Berlin.  There's a whole section that covers the nazi period, from the first glimmer to the devastating collapse.  It is typically German: frank, honest, without any sugarcoating.  It tells the story as it occurred, with things like displays of actual newspapers and editorials from the time.  No bullshit, here's what was happening and the words that were actually said.  All four members of the family went through the exhibit (at different paces).  We all linked up outside afterwards, and every one of us had the same sentiment: it was the most terrifying exhibit we'd ever examined, because the exact same shit was happening back in the US, in the present day.  The parallels are as subtle as a sledgehammer.

Time for the rest of us to fight back with similar lack of subtlety.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

So this is horrifying and obviously exactly what is happening again, but there's no solution on how to stop it.  Is this just our lot as a species?  To go through this every few decades or so and try to rebuild from the ashes?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So this is horrifying and obviously exactly what is happening again, but there's no solution on how to stop it.  Is this just our lot as a species?  To go through this every few decades or so and try to rebuild from the ashes?

The worst of it was obviously the Civil War, and then some of the shit in the 1950s-60s with segregation, etc. but I would not be surprised if we see this kind of stuff every 15-20 years, it just sometimes events (wars for instance, Great Depression, etc.) drown it out.  It was lurking there in the 80s and 90s, definitely came up in 2008.  In the past though, the politicians and talking heads weren’t quite so naked in their lust for power and to put the hurt on the other side.  And the politicians typically weren’t dumb as fuck like Boebert, MTG, Trump, etc.

Here’s a bit about the 1840 Harrison Presidential campaign (he won) - avoiding issues and wearing unique hats is not new.

"TIPPECANOE AND TYLER TOO!" was the campaign slogan of the Whigs in 1840, when William Henry Harrison, the hero of the Battle of Tippecanoe, and John Tyler were their candidates for the presidency and vice-presidency, respectively. The party cry typified the emotional appeal of the Whig canvass. Deliberately avoiding issues, its supporters wore coonskin caps, built campaign log cabins in almost every town of consequence, and freely dispensed hard cider to the voters, who were persuaded that Harrison had saved the country from untold Indian atrocities. Few American political slogans have been such unadulterated demagoguery.

• Rage+1 1