The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

The Epoch Times, Senator?  You mean that trusted publication that is often cited by right-wing think tanks and advocacy groups...never, ever, at any point in Congressional history?  

Does California need to be a better steward of its water?  Yes, yes they do. Does Epoch Times need to be a better steward of its insanity?  Yes, yes they do.  

One of my "favorite" mountain bike youtubers is a guy named Kyle Warner.  I'm pretty sure he's pretty apolitical.  But he did get quite sick apparently from the COVID vaccine, specifically myocarditis.  There was no way of knowing for sure whether the vaccine caused or was linked to the vaccine, but he was ill-used by conservatards, possibly with his compliance.

In any event, he's pretty much back to normal now.  Messed up story.

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

One of my "favorite" mountain bike youtubers is a guy named Kyle Warner.  I'm pretty sure he's pretty apolitical.  But he did get quite sick apparently from the COVID vaccine, specifically myocarditis.  There was no way of knowing for sure whether the vaccine caused or was linked to the vaccine, but he was ill-used by conservatards, possibly with his compliance.

In any event, he's pretty much back to normal now.  Messed up story.

Vaccine Injury is a real thing (and the DoJ has a compensation program: https://www.justice.gov/civil/vicp)

It's baked into the formulas and data models and there is an acceptable % that will be tolerated, as with anything within a law of large numbers. Nothing is 100% safe.

That is why it's pretty weird when people act hostile to those who don't want to just blindly take new vaccines created in a rush, especially if they are in a low-risk profile (e.g. your risk of being vaccine injured is higher than dying of Covid, in this case if you are a young, active, healthy person). Especially when the companies that created the vaccines waive any legal responsibility to any adverse effects or issues that can happen to you (e.g. you can't sue Pfizer if your loved one draws a short straw and is one of the extremely low percentage of people who die from vaccine complications).

Edit to add: for clarity, I personally did take the two doses of the vaccination as mandated by my employer, gambling that the probability is in my favor that I would not have complications. That said I have empathy for those who made a different, personal decision. 

Edited by HamsterHookah
  • Fuck You 11

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Why would you not take it if it’s an extremely low percentage that die from vaccine complications?

why would it be blindly taking it if you do?

In the case of the covid vaccination:

1) I did take it. I took it because historically it is an extremely low percentage that die from vax complications. However, these are vaccinations that are created using more traditional and time-honored approaches (thus more understanding of short, medium and long term effects and issues) and that have been around for a while. That said, I still figured I'd rather keep my job and the odds are low that I'd one of the ones drawing the short straw. But I still know someone, somewhere will be drawing a short straw.

2) Blindly taking it because it was rushed to market and there wasn't a lot of time that lapsed from creation->trials->wide public consumption. The blindly adjective meaning not being able to see with your own eyes a public response over time but trusting what institutions are saying (Government, Pharma companies, etc.).

edit to add: I don't mean blindly as a necessarily bad thing (though I personally view it as a negative), just a description of how there wasn't visibility.

Edited by HamsterHookah
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 6

38 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

(e.g. your risk of being vaccine injured is higher than dying of Covid, in this case if you are a young, active, healthy person).

Fortunately, the only harm from Covid is death, so this is a logical evaluation of risk.

• Hook 'Em 1

Tough call, right?  On one hand, some guy on a bike got sick but now he’s fine and also the world re-opened.  On the other hand, you’ve got six or eight million dead people and our nation’s schools, economy, and mental health could have been devastated indefinitely.  

What to do?

p.s.  Even for those of us lucky enough to be perfectly healthy (knocks wood), there is a public health consideration, right?  Can we all agree that it’s not great for healthy people to recklessly give it to grandma, or to a person whose autoimmune disease requires lifelong immunosuppressants?

If we’re all just gonna say “Fuck it.  **I’m** not gonna die!” then why not abolish school zones and stop making me be fucking inconvenienced by kids on bikes for three hours every weekday?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

we’re all just gonna say “Fuck it.  **I’m** not gonna die!” then why not abolish school zones and stop making me be fucking inconvenienced by kids on bikes for three hours every weekday?

You may be on to something here. We need more weeding out to happen at a young age. Too many kids that would have been wolf food a thousand years ago or a farm accident victim a hundred years ago are making it to voting age. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Tough call, right?  On one hand, some guy on a bike got sick but now he’s fine and also the world re-opened.  On the other hand, you’ve got six or eight million dead people and our nation’s schools, economy, and mental health could have been devastated indefinitely.  

What to do?

p.s.  Even for those of us lucky enough to be perfectly healthy (knocks wood), there is a public health consideration, right?  Can we all agree that it’s not great for healthy people to recklessly give it to grandma, or to a person whose autoimmune disease requires lifelong immunosuppressants?

If we’re all just gonna say “Fuck it.  **I’m** not gonna die!” then why not abolish school zones and stop making me be fucking inconvenienced by kids on bikes for three hours every weekday?

100%.  

I just want to add, Paul Wesley isn't just some internet expert, he's a doctor.

17 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I just can’t. The earth’s inner core needs to just stop spinning throw everything off this planet. A hard reset

Three Year Letterman is at the top of the twitter trolls podium, but this guy, while not as prolific, makes some extremely quality trolls.

Shit, these are Three Year Letterman-level responses.  Have we seen them in the same room?

• Hook 'Em 4

47 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I just can’t. The earth’s inner core needs to just stop spinning throw everything off this planet. A hard reset

Just imagine Jr 6 rails deep, with a bottle of Jack on the nightstand, banging Kimberly Gargoyle doggy style and staring pridefully at that painting and mumbling “yea…fuck yea!”.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Just imagine Jr 6 rails deep, with a bottle of Jack on the nightstand, banging Kimberly Gargoyle doggy style and staring pridefully at that painting and mumbling “yea…fuck yea!”.

he killed at least two rails right before that pic 

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

he killed at least two rails right before that pic 

This, the one eyelid drooped more than the other is a dead giveaway.  As is the looking "at" the person but not in the eye in the hopes that the light fixtures will glare off your dilated pupils.  

Still, I'll give the sumbitch credit for one thing...if I walked outta the head after blown a couple rails and saw that thing being hung on the foyer wall...I'd have shit myself and ran through a plate glass window to escape the nightmare fuel.  He's actually somewhat composed given the fact his portrait looks like a mini-me version of a bearded Alan Cummings also with a half-teener running through his veins 

15 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

I’m not trying to be an asshole to anyone, but if we’re gonna take turns telling anti-vaccine anecdotes, let’s also be very clear about the bigger picture.  

It's very easy to say all the things you said, I agree with them in theory and on paper, but when it is you or a loved one, then the "Trolley problem" of have someone you know vaccine injured or potentially have someone's grandma 9 states away die because of a butterfly effect, is a bit more personal and real.

And some of these vaccine injuries are causing autoimmune issues that do cause things like immunosuppressants and could lead to death.

• Fuck You 14

Saw this quote in Reddit about idiots losing their shit over the homosexual relationship in Ep 3 of The Last of Us. Thought it apropos this thread and of most the idiots who call themselves Republicans.

"there are two sexualities, straight and political. there are two genders, male and political. there are two races, white and political. etc"

• Hook 'Em 4

22 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

That is why it's pretty weird when people act hostile to those who don't want to just blindly take new vaccines created in a rush, especially if they are in a low-risk profile (e.g. your risk of being vaccine injured is higher than dying of Covid, in this case if you are a young, active, healthy person).

People acted hostile to folks who dodged the draft, too.

You have been called out, and also banned, for spreading Covid misinformation. You choose not to support your claims. I will help you out by linking the latest CDC report on vaccine injuries, as well as the data on Covid deaths and long Covid. Please direct your findings to the appropriate thread.

Hint: what is known does not support your statements, which read as fact. TBF, I assume there is a backlog in assessing all the reports made to VAERS. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/adverse-events.html

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1191568/reported-deaths-from-covid-by-age-us/

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2797782

Edited to add a link for data on long Covid among children and adolescents:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-13495-5

Edited by Willfully Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

History (in some circles) looks favorably on those people, right? I assume an old hippie like you would appreciate Vietnam war draft dodgers, at least.

The hippies were right about Vietnam. This hippie is also right in pointing out the Covid battle has been waged at home. 

“We were wrong.” - Robert McNamara 

Edited by Willfully Horn
Edit
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 4:18 PM, HamsterHookah said:

In the case of the covid vaccination:

1) I did take it. I took it because historically it is an extremely low percentage that die from vax complications. However, these are vaccinations that are created using more traditional and time-honored approaches (thus more understanding of short, medium and long term effects and issues) and that have been around for a while. That said, I still figured I'd rather keep my job and the odds are low that I'd one of the ones drawing the short straw. But I still know someone, somewhere will be drawing a short straw.

2) Blindly taking it because it was rushed to market and there wasn't a lot of time that lapsed from creation->trials->wide public consumption. The blindly adjective meaning not being able to see with your own eyes a public response over time but trusting what institutions are saying (Government, Pharma companies, etc.).

edit to add: I don't mean blindly as a necessarily bad thing (though I personally view it as a negative), just a description of how there wasn't visibility.

On 1/30/2023 at 4:05 PM, HamsterHookah said:

Vaccine Injury is a real thing (and the DoJ has a compensation program: https://www.justice.gov/civil/vicp)

It's baked into the formulas and data models and there is an acceptable % that will be tolerated, as with anything within a law of large numbers. Nothing is 100% safe.

That is why it's pretty weird when people act hostile to those who don't want to just blindly take new vaccines created in a rush, especially if they are in a low-risk profile (e.g. your risk of being vaccine injured is higher than dying of Covid, in this case if you are a young, active, healthy person). Especially when the companies that created the vaccines waive any legal responsibility to any adverse effects or issues that can happen to you (e.g. you can't sue Pfizer if your loved one draws a short straw and is one of the extremely low percentage of people who die from vaccine complications).

Edit to add: for clarity, I personally did take the two doses of the vaccination as mandated by my employer, gambling that the probability is in my favor that I would not have complications. That said I have empathy for those who made a different, personal decision. 

negged for repeatedly, intentionally spreading vax misinformation.

Also, go fuck yourself.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Hope Hicks has a new job. It seems New York Knicks owner and huge Trump donor James Dolan used facial recognition technology to identify people who were critical of him, people like lawyers working on cases against him, and have them ejected from events at Madison Square Garden. Amid the PR fallout, he hired Hicks to “advise” him.

https://nypost.com/2023/01/31/james-dolan-hires-hope-hicks-to-consultant-him-on-msg-facial-recognition-scandal

21 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Hope Hicks has a new job. It seems New York Knicks owner and huge Trump donor James Dolan used facial recognition technology to identify people who were critical of him, people like lawyers working on cases against him, and have them ejected from events at Madison Square Garden. Amid the PR fallout, he hired Hicks to “advise” him.

https://nypost.com/2023/01/31/james-dolan-hires-hope-hicks-to-consultant-him-on-msg-facial-recognition-scandal

I guess it will do until a job strangling puppies opens up. 

• Haha 2

The 2024 platform is starting to coalesce.   All the usual topics have been used up, so....

https://www.axios.com/2023/02/02/republicans-racism-transgender-education-trump?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=editorial

The fractious Republican Party is consolidating around a "Protect the children" platform for 2024 that aggressively targets school policies on gender identity and how racial issues are taught.

Why it matters: A year before presidential primaries begin, Republicans see this as a winning formula that can fire up their base and attract some independents, pointing to the recent electoral success of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin.

Much of the battle is being fought at the state and local levels, giving an edge to GOP officials such as DeSantis and Youngkin — both potential presidential candidates who recognized the potency of educational issues early on.

Driving the news: Former President Trump is now leaning hard into this strategy, unveiling sweeping proposals in the past week to ban gender-affirming care for minors nationwide and cut off federal funding for schools that teach "critical race theory" and "gender ideology" — without defining what exactly those terms mean.

Trump's proposals targeting trans rights would be more restrictive than any being pursued by Republican-led state governments, in what could be seen as an attempt to outflank DeSantis on the issue.

DeSantis notched a major victory today when the College Board announced it would revise its curriculum for AP African American Studies after heavy criticism from the Florida governor.

The big picture: These debates often are tagged as part of the "culture wars," but many parents see them as fights over the quality of their kids' educations. Under the banner of parental rights, Republicans are seeking to build a broad coalition centered on frustrations that schools are acting against their kids' best interests.

The other side: Polls show most Americans favor discrimination protections for trans people but are divided on teaching about gender identity in schools. 

Critics of Republicans' push to restrict teaching of racial issues view the GOP's efforts as attempts to bury America's history of racism and its impacts today.

Spoiler

How we got here: The GOP began to gain momentum on educational issues after lengthy school closures during the pandemic fueled opposition from frustrated parents.

Youngkin emphasized "parents' rights" in an upset victory in blue-leaning Virginia in 2021 — an outcome that put education on the national map for Republicans.

After a successful bipartisan vote to overturn the mask mandate for some public school students, Youngkin also unveiled policy changes requiring schools to inform a student's parents if the student wants to change their name or pronouns on their official records.

DeSantis took heat for championing legislation that would limit discussions about sexual orientation or gender identity for Florida students in third grade or below. But polls showed the legislation was broadly popular in Florida, and in November he was re-elected governor by 19 points.

By the numbers: An October 2022 Pew Research Center poll found Democrats' edge over Republicans on education was just five points. Education ranked the third most important of 12 issues tested, below the economy and the future of democracy. 

A summer 2022 poll conducted in battleground states for the American Federation for Teachers union found that 39% of voters trusted Republicans more on education, while 38% favored Democrats.

Polls also show widespread opposition to age-inappropriate curriculum in K-12 education, though the details of what's appropriate for kids have been the subject of heated local fights. 

What to watch: Much of DeSantis' energy, as he mulls a presidential campaign, is focused on educational changes. He's working to transform a progressive public honors university — the New College of Florida — to be more conservative-friendly. 

He appointed six ideologically aligned trustees (including educational activist Chris Rufo) to the board. Already the new board has ousted the school's president and taken steps to eliminate its diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) staff.

After DeSantis banned the new AP African-American history course in Florida, the College Board stripped topics from the curriculum that had drawn scrutiny, including "Intersectionality and Activism,” “Black Queer Studies” and “Incarceration and Abolition." 

The College Board also added "black conservatism" as a research topic, though its president denies that the organization succumbed to political pressure.

The bottom line: Republicans are tapping into broad parental discontent over educational issues and have achieved victories by rallying conservatives while engaging suburban independents. 

The risk for the party, however, is that the often-harsh rhetoric that draws in the base is alienating to many swing-voting suburbanites who determine elections. 

Youngkin has been more effective at messaging his educational reforms to win over moderate suburbanites, while DeSantis' rhetoric has been tailored to the conservative base.

On 1/31/2023 at 9:07 AM, HamsterHookah said:

It's very easy to say all the things you said, I agree with them in theory and on paper, but when it is you or a loved one, then the "Trolley problem" of have someone you know vaccine injured or potentially have someone's grandma 9 states away die because of a butterfly effect, is a bit more personal and real.

And some of these vaccine injuries are causing autoimmune issues that do cause things like immunosuppressants and could lead to death.

Very stupid hill to die on (yet again). You and all your loved ones should stop getting in cars because you may get car injured

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Very stupid hill to die on (yet again). You and all your loved ones should stop getting in cars because you may get car injured

I think a better analogy would be, we should not get in self-driving or the autonomous electric cars (yet) because they are brand new and let's see how it goes.

Getting in cars would be like taking time-honored vaccines-- tons of experience and time and data points over many years-- which we do.

Why is that part seemingly difficult for you?

Edited by HamsterHookah
  • Fuck You 15

28 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

I think a better analogy would be, we should not get in self-driving or the autonomous electric cars (yet) because they are brand new and let's see how it goes.

Getting in cars would be like taking time-honored vaccines-- tons of experience and time and data points over many years-- which we do.

Edited in case you are not bad faith trolling

over 12 BILLION covid 19 vaccines have been given. Unless you think literally all healthcare providers and researchers are part of a conspiracy to injure people, we would have several peer reviewed published studies if there were predictable, significant harmful consequences to the vaccines. The risks of covid 19 infection far outweigh any known risks of the vaccine. 

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

The 2024 platform is starting to coalesce.   All the usual topics have been used up, so....

https://www.axios.com/2023/02/02/republicans-racism-transgender-education-trump?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=editorial

Reveal hidden contents

How we got here: The GOP began to gain momentum on educational issues after lengthy school closures during the pandemic fueled opposition from frustrated parents.

Youngkin emphasized "parents' rights" in an upset victory in blue-leaning Virginia in 2021 — an outcome that put education on the national map for Republicans.

After a successful bipartisan vote to overturn the mask mandate for some public school students, Youngkin also unveiled policy changes requiring schools to inform a student's parents if the student wants to change their name or pronouns on their official records.

DeSantis took heat for championing legislation that would limit discussions about sexual orientation or gender identity for Florida students in third grade or below. But polls showed the legislation was broadly popular in Florida, and in November he was re-elected governor by 19 points.

By the numbers: An October 2022 Pew Research Center poll found Democrats' edge over Republicans on education was just five points. Education ranked the third most important of 12 issues tested, below the economy and the future of democracy. 

A summer 2022 poll conducted in battleground states for the American Federation for Teachers union found that 39% of voters trusted Republicans more on education, while 38% favored Democrats.

Polls also show widespread opposition to age-inappropriate curriculum in K-12 education, though the details of what's appropriate for kids have been the subject of heated local fights. 

What to watch: Much of DeSantis' energy, as he mulls a presidential campaign, is focused on educational changes. He's working to transform a progressive public honors university — the New College of Florida — to be more conservative-friendly. 

He appointed six ideologically aligned trustees (including educational activist Chris Rufo) to the board. Already the new board has ousted the school's president and taken steps to eliminate its diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) staff.

After DeSantis banned the new AP African-American history course in Florida, the College Board stripped topics from the curriculum that had drawn scrutiny, including "Intersectionality and Activism,” “Black Queer Studies” and “Incarceration and Abolition." 

The College Board also added "black conservatism" as a research topic, though its president denies that the organization succumbed to political pressure.

The bottom line: Republicans are tapping into broad parental discontent over educational issues and have achieved victories by rallying conservatives while engaging suburban independents. 

The risk for the party, however, is that the often-harsh rhetoric that draws in the base is alienating to many swing-voting suburbanites who determine elections. 

Youngkin has been more effective at messaging his educational reforms to win over moderate suburbanites, while DeSantis' rhetoric has been tailored to the conservative base.

So, 13 year olds kids can be parents and are fine with shootings but they would crack if you taught them CRT, whatever that is.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

All these analogies are wrong because the issue isn’t solely the risk you’re willing to take - it’s balancing that risk with the collective interest of the community.  For many of us that’s an easy choice yet you and your ilk default back to solely selfish reasons. I’ll try a different comparison. 

Not reclining the airplane seat during take off and landing isn’t for your safety. It’s for the safety of the passenger behind you. You seem like a guy that would complain about not being able to recline. You actually seem like a guy would prefer to because it makes you a bit safer at someone else’s expense.