The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

A normal, old school pre-Trumpism Republican could have theoretically been in a pretty good position in 2024.  It is looking like we will have inflation coming around the corner or even stagflation (job numbers are way lower than expected and last month’s were written down significantly, too).  Plus, the government aid and eviction moratoriums are going to get turned off at some point and the delayed economic effects of the pandemic won’t be delayed anymore.

The standard old Republican campaigning on being tough on crime and pro-business and job growth would seem to be a natural fit in that climate.  

Donald Trump ranting and raving about how the last election was stolen (and whatever other brain worm nonsense he has by then), campaigning on how immigrants and non-whites are the devil, and bringing all his other baggage with him (insurrections, impeachments, drink bleach to cure Covid, losing the last election, the fact that a majority of the country is dug in on hating him - you know, minor stuff like that) is not a great candidate.  “Miss me yet?” is not going to work with Donald fucking Trump.

God I hope you’re right. But I fear the exact opposite will happen if the economy is in the shitter

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Guest Lobo

Fun fact—-according to the 22nd amendment, Gerald Ford is our 38th President and is considered to have served one term in office as he he was in office significantly more than two years.   Jimmy Carter served one term right after him.  They are our nation’s only consecutive one-term Presidents via general election.

joe Biden may decide not to run again.  And he may die of natural causes in office.  But Trumpers would do well to learn history  

3 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

What a shitbag.  

No word on if he joined Marjorie and rubbed the crotch of his cult leader, but the little guy appears to be fully chubbed:

May be an image of 2 people

Lars and the Real Girl (Ryan Gosling) was a quirky movie, but enjoyable enough. Richard and the Real Dick leaves viewers going, huh, which is which.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

That is indeed where the GQP is.  A once functioning, meaningful political party.....is now reduced to be the fan club for a destructive narcissist.

None of us could have written a credible piece of fiction about this scenario 15 years ago, yet here we are -- the fantastical and unbelievable has become stone-cold reality.

And a whole lot of this.  You invited batshit crazy people, led by a batshit crazy narcissist, into your fiesta.  And they came, in enthusiastic droves.  Helluva fiesta, right?!  But then, you realized that these people want to do things like shit on the sofa, burn down the kitchen, and cover the floors with broken glass, to totally own those pussies who think that parties are actually for fun and good times.  And many of those people -- the sane ones -- are finding a reason to leave the fiesta ("hey, I have a work meeting early tomorrow that I just remembered -- I gotta bolt").  And the sane ones who remain are all tucked in the same corner, horrified by what they see, but keeping that fake smile on their face because hey, we want a lot of people at our party.

Do what any sane person would do -- tell the fucking lunatics to GTFO -- and you'll end up left with a sad group of sane people, sitting around a busted kitchen table, drinking the last few beers, scrounging up some snacks, and trying to come up with a narrative about how the party was actually really awesome, and the rest of y'all totally should have been there.

But they won't do that, because about the only solid brand the GQP has left is "Complete Moral Cowardice."  So, they'll continue on with the shit-on-the-sofa-and-burn-down-the-kitchen party....the question is whether there will be enough sane collaborators to give that party enough guests to win elections, OR if their efforts to shut down all rival parties will be successful (fucking narcs, calling the cops on our party).

Get the lunatics to leave and you'll have more people wanting to attend your party.  

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Lars and the Real Girl (Ryan Gosling) was a quirky movie, but enjoyable enough. Richard and the Real Dick leaves viewers going, huh, which is which.

i loved lars and the real girl. thanks for the mention. 

48 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

What is the purpose of this “rally?”  It’s really random.  There’s no purpose other than to praise trump. 

And I think some of y’all are being naive in saying trump doesn’t want to run again.  He likes power and perceived prestige. 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

What is the purpose of this “rally?”  It’s really random.  There’s no purpose other than to praise trump. 

And I think some of y’all are being naive in saying trump doesn’t want to run again.  He likes power and perceived prestige. 

I posted it the other day; I don't think he wants to "run", because that requires work and funds.  I do believe the GOP would change their nomination rules to accommodate Trump; so all he would have to do is show up at the convention, say he wants to be the nominee and they will bend over.  

And truthfully, he wouldn't even have to campaign.  He would get the same exact support if he just hung out at Mar a Lago from the convention to Election Day or if he campaigned daily.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

He likes to be lazy and do whatever the fuck he wants, whether that's golfing all weekend, or sitting in bed chowing down on Big Macs and Fox News, and he likes easy money.

He doesn't need to run again to obtain those things - the donations he received after the election opened his eyes.

And he doesn't care for the White House.

45 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He likes to be lazy and do whatever the fuck he wants, whether that's golfing all weekend, or sitting in bed chowing down on Big Macs and Fox News, and he likes easy money.

He doesn't need to run again to obtain those things - the donations he received after the election opened his eyes.

And he doesn't care for the White House.

He can want and have those things and still want the power of being called POTUS.  That’s not mutually exclusive.  

I’m not saying he’s definitely running, but to say he’s not running at all or not thinking about it because of “x” is elementary in thinking and lacks evidence. There’s probably more evidence out there that says he will run versus he’s won’t. L

I think the only person we know who is running from the radial Republicans is Cruz, and that’s pretty much a given.  Which I don’t understand why he believes it’s his birthright to be president.  Like nigga chill, you’ve lost the radical republican nomination for president so many times they are trying to tell you something. 

giphy.gif

15 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Trumps doesn’t have a fucking plan. Every decision he makes is spur of the moment to fill whatever stupid thought fills his head

This is true and important. I don’t know why people still treat him like he has some plan. He literally has the Joker mentality. He just DOES things. There’s a slight plan, in that he knows how to rile up people, but to pretend there’s an actual end goal? Please. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Gotdamnit, if Ms Cheney we’re truly conservative, she’d change parties like the rest of them have.

She could go independent.  In the long run, I think it would scare GOP leaders more if, rather than playing sour grapes and switching parties, they just went independent, and said they were still conservatives.

• Like 1

When you run for office, but have to have a section on your website titled "The girl in my bathtub".

Should be disqualifying, but hey, it's on brand now for the GOP.

https://www.perutoforda.com/meet_a_charles

"There shouldn't have to be a section for this on anyone's campaign site, but because some people will not let this go away, I must address it," he wrote. "In 2013, I was dating a girl for about 6 weeks, and didn't really know her."

"In short, the best way to start with this is the Medical Examiner's report. She was a .45 BAC. That means that 45% of her blood was alcohol!!! The cause of death was alcohol intoxication, but because she was found in my tub, everyone, including myself, assumed she drowned," he said. "The long story short is that I was not her only boyfriend, but it was my apartment where she expired. If it was another boyfriend's apartment, you would have never heard of the case."

And here she is (was):

6X7OSTM2SFASZN3FWM627IC3T4.jpg

Edited by Francisco 2.0

57 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

"There shouldn't have to be a section for this on anyone's campaign site, but because some people will not let this go away, I must address it," he wrote. "In 2013, I was dating a girl for about 6 weeks, and didn't really know her."

"In short, the best way to start with this is the Medical Examiner's report. She was a .45 BAC. That means that 45% of her blood was alcohol!!! The cause of death was alcohol intoxication, but because she was found in my tub, everyone, including myself, assumed she drowned," he said. "The long story short is that I was not her only boyfriend, but it was my apartment where she expired. If it was another boyfriend's apartment, you would have never heard of the case.

"I mean, I'd only been fucking her for a few weeks, and besides, she was a slut anyway.  Why is everyone acting like it's a big deal to have a dead slut in your bathtub?  This could've happened to any of you."

Seriously, this guy's a big deal defense attorney who's made his fortune convincing juries to let guilty people walk, and this is the best he could do for himself?

15 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

This.

So what if the comparisons to past fascist/authoritarians/cult leaders have discrepancies. Enough about how power and those who yield it are similar to  that neck hair prickling I get when a trailer for a horror movie comes on: nope, nope, nope. Want no part of the nightmare.

Trump entertaining the likes of Ted, Kevin (of the infamous McCarthys whom I'll never forgive), Lindsey, et. al all travel to Trump to visit him like friends of Hitler. If Trump had no sway, Trump would be visiting them. Sure the base is not large, the party is still getting things sorted out, but they are not going to go gently into that good night. Legislatively, electorally, and all the underhanded tricks at their disposal are in their favor because they have made it clear that ignoring all customs and rules and laws is their brand. There have been ZERO consequences other than the election outcome resulting in a different president. Every single time there have been zero consequences and Mitch knows that, Trump knows that, Pompeo, Cruz, Hawley, Greene, they absolutely are not going to stop. The one small flicker of light is that Trump cannot live forever and that more citizens are slightly aware of what has been going on but unless they act from their own community elections on up to the national races, it will become extinguished in a hurry.

Righteous indignation is a personal vice. But, he is well dressed and I recognize that has some credibility around here.

On 5/6/2021 at 11:51 PM, Mdhorn said:

I dunno, I couldn't image the scenario that played out earlier this year and it sounds like we still can't imagine another one.  I understand what you're saying but nobody ever saw Obama winning two terms, including the Democrat establishment,  and nobody saw Trump winning one term.  There's a lot we don't know.  

After his 2004 keynote address, I told my wife we were looking at the next two-term Democratic president. I know I was not the only one. 

Now, it's true I didn't see Trump winning, but to say nobody saw Obama winning is just not accurate.

That having been said, I don't have the first fucking clue how the death throes of democracy are going to actually play out. It's like I've got Dr. Strange's ability to see possible futures, but instead of being a genius doctor given that gift, I'm a drunken monkey trying to figure out what's what.

• Hook 'Em 3

23 hours ago, Red Five said:

"We can't move forward as a party without Donald Trump. The lifelong democrat who was impeached twice and never won the popular vote and never reached a 50% approval rating and in one term lost us the presidency, the senate, and the house, and who started a riot at the capitol on his way out. We just can't move forward without that guy."

Well, of course they can't.  Because they have no discernible political or policy platform, and certainly not one a majority would vote for.

But Trump can bring the oppositional-defiant overgrown fourth grader vote like nobody's business.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

But Trump can bring the oppositional-defiant overgrown fourth grader vote like nobody's business.

And we've unfortunately found out there are a fuck ton of these people in our country.  Way more than I ever expected.

Well, of course they can't.  Because they have no discernible political or policy platform, and certainly not one a majority would vote for.

Fantastic descriptor, and I will be stealing it. That is indeed now the dominant strain in the GQP base: oppositional-defiant children.

And we've unfortunately found out there are a fuck ton of these people in our country.  Way more than I ever expected.

And this. It’s not shocking that these people exist. But I’m still unnerved by the fact that there are so many of them.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/cheney-trump-mccarthy-republicans/2021/05/08/12e6c41e-adcf-11eb-acd3-24b44a57093a_story.html

Rep. Liz Cheney had been arguing for months that Republicans had to face the truth about former president Donald Trump — that he had lied about the 2020 election result and bore responsibility for the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol — when the Wyoming Republican sat down at a party retreat in April to listen to a polling briefing.

The refusal to accept reality, she realized, went much deeper.

When staff from the National Republican Congressional Committee rose to explain the party’s latest polling in core battleground districts, they left out a key finding about Trump’s weakness, declining to divulge the information even when directly questioned about Trump’s support by a member of Congress, according to two people familiar with what transpired.

Trump’s unfavorable ratings were 15 points higher than his favorable ones in the core districts, according to the full polling results, which were later obtained by The Washington Post. Nearly twice as many voters had a strongly unfavorable view of the former president as had a strongly favorable one.

Cheney was alarmed, she later told others, in part because Republican campaign officials had also left out bad Trump polling news at a March retreat for ranking committee chairs. Both instances, she concluded, demonstrated that party leadership was willing to hide information from their own members to avoid the truth about Trump and the possible damage he could do to Republican House members, even though the NRCC denied any such agenda.

Spoiler

Those behind-the-scenes episodes were part of a months-long dispute over Republican principles that has raged among House leaders and across the broader GOP landscape. That dispute is expected to culminate next week with a vote to remove Cheney from her position as the third-ranking House Republican.

At issue: Should the Republican Party continue to defend Trump’s actions and parrot his falsehoods, given his overwhelming support among GOP voters? Or does the party and its leaders need to directly confront the damage he has done?

“She just believes he’s disqualified himself by his conduct, more than it’s any kind of political analysis,” said Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.). “If you look at a political analysis, there’s no way this party is going to stay together without President Trump and his supporters. There is no construct where the party can be successful without him.”

Cheney and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) had come down on opposite sides of the divide, undermining the party’s efforts to put on a united front. Even before the riot, when McCarthy was calling on Republicans to “not back down” after the election, Cheney had quietly organized an essay by 10 former defense secretaries declaring the election results settled and warning the military not to be involved in Trump’s election protest.

She was shocked when McCarthy signed on to an amicus brief in a Texas case seeking to overturn the election, after he’d told her in a private conversation that he did not plan to, according to a person familiar with the conversation. More recently, she has sought to undermine McCarthy’s efforts to dilute the potency of a congressional inquiry into the Jan. 6 riot. McCarthy wants to broaden the inquiry’s scope to include antifa and Black Lives Matter violence, as well as the slaying of a Capitol Hill police officer in April.

McCarthy and many of his House colleagues, who don’t see a clear path to victory without Trump’s support in 2022, reached a breaking point in recent days.

“I’ve had it with her,” McCarthy told a reporter for Fox News on Tuesday, in a remark caught on a live microphone. “You know, I’ve lost confidence.”

At the root of the collapse in relations, according to interviews with more than a dozen people involved, most of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe private conversations, was a fundamental misunderstanding of Cheney’s position. Her determination to name, shame and banish Trump — and her refusal to follow McCarthy’s pleas to move on and display unity — had become fundamental to her political purpose, not just a position she could compartmentalize.

She has been willing to sacrifice her House leadership ambitions and put at risk her reelection hopes, allies say, to try to push the party away from the former president. After McCarthy visited with Trump in January in an effort to broker a truce that he hoped could pave the way for a Republican takeover of the House — and, potentially, McCarthy’s speakership — she called McCarthy out for backing away from earlier saying the former president “bears responsibility” for the riot.

Even if she is cast out of power in the House, she has made clear that she will not stop, promising to take her argument against Trump to the campaign trail in Wyoming, where he garnered 70 percent of the vote in 2020. She has told others that blocking Trump from leading the party is a fight she sees as just beginning, no matter how Wednesday’s vote goes.

“The Republican Party is at a turning point,” Cheney wrote Wednesday in a Washington Post op-ed, “and Republicans must decide whether we are going to choose truth and fidelity to the Constitution.”

That is a remarkable statement from a Republican conference chairwoman, whose job description requires her to develop, coordinate and elevate the party’s communications strategy against Democrats, which she has continued to do at times with far less fanfare. Cheney and McCarthy declined to speak for this story.

Even before the Jan. 6 riot, she had been working to stem the threat she saw in Trump.

“She called me and said, ‘You know, I’m really worried about this. What should we do?’ ” said former U.S. Ambassador Eric Edelman, who worked with her to write the essay by the former defense secretaries. “Liz was a prime mover of the whole thing, really.”

Working closely with her father, former vice president Richard B. Cheney, the congresswoman volunteered to recruit Jim Mattis, the former Marine general who had served as Trump’s first defense secretary; Leon Panetta, who served as defense secretary in the Obama administration; and Donald H. Rumsfeld, who was defense secretary while her father was vice president, Edelman said.

The opinion piece also warned the military that any involvement in election disputes was dangerous. Richard B. Cheney’s role in organizing the defense secretaries soon became public, but the congresswoman’s role was kept quiet at the time.

The backlash to Liz Cheney’s focus on Trump has been fierce. As recently as Monday, Trump met with his advisers in Florida to discuss 2022 endorsements, according to people familiar with the meeting. One of Trump’s major priorities was to pick a single candidate from the ever-expanding ranks of Republican rivals in Wyoming who are seeking to run against her, so the anti-Cheney vote is not divided. Trump political advisers have already begun making calls to officials in Wyoming, circulating polling memos and meeting with potential candidates. Jason Miller, a Trump spokesman, said knocking off Cheney was “one of the highest priorities as far as primary endorsements go.”

Opponents said the relentlessness of Cheney’s criticism after her vote for Trump’s impeachment has aggravated her ideological colleagues.

“When you’re in leadership, you don’t just get to speak for yourself,” said one McCarthy adviser, explaining the exasperation over her approach. “She voted against him, she had her say, and the leader supported her. But now it’s every single day.”

Other Republicans said they felt Cheney was not interested in raising money for candidates who backed Trump — an expectation for someone in leadership — and that her continued comments were forcing Republicans to constantly be ensnared in Republican warfare. They note that Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), who shares much of Cheney’s views, has largely stayed silent even as he tries to maneuver the party away from Trump.

Just three months ago, McCarthy had expressed optimism that the conflagration could be avoided. At a closed-door Feb. 4 meeting of Republican members, Cheney’s colleagues debated her Trump criticism and then voted 145 to 61 to keep her in position as their top messenger. She emerged from that meeting with a show of unity.

“It was a very resounding acknowledgment that we need to go forward together and we need to go forward in a way that helps us beat back the really dangerous and negative Democrat policies,” she told reporters of the vote to support her.

A beaming McCarthy stood nearby.

“This Republican Party is a very big tent and everybody is invited in,” he said. With Cheney in the leadership team, he promised to win the majority in 2022.

McCarthy at that point had spent weeks resisting pressure from both Trump supporters and antagonists for an internal showdown. Trump himself had pressed McCarthy to remove Cheney from leadership in one of the final conversations of Trump’s presidency, goading McCarthy by saying that she wanted to take his job, said people familiar with the conversation.

At the same time, McCarthy had courted Trump’s favor, traveling weeks after the Capitol riot to meet with him in Mar-a-Lago, the decision Cheney cited as a major error. His goal: To keep Trump from starting a third party, or going against Republican incumbents.

But just days after Republicans voted to keep Cheney in leadership, it became clear that the two sides had not agreed on what her forthcoming role would be.

In a Feb. 7 appearance on Fox News Sunday, she leaned into her complaints about Trump’s election denial and role in the riot, even suggesting that he should be investigated by prosecutors for the possibility that he intended to incite an attack against Vice President Pence.

“This is not something that we can simply look past, or pretend didn’t happen, or try to move on [from],” she told host Chris Wallace. “We’ve got to make sure this never happens again.”

Repeatedly, over the following weeks, Cheney highlighted the divisions McCarthy was trying to dampen. At a Feb. 24 news conference by Republican leaders at the Capitol, a reporter asked McCarthy whether Trump should be invited to the upcoming Conservative Political Action Conference.

“Yes, he should,” McCarthy replied immediately.

When Cheney followed by saying Trump should have no role in leading the party or the country, the number two in the House, Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.), who was standing next to them, shook his head. McCarthy struggled to maintain a stone face.

“On that high note, thank you all very much,” McCarthy finally ad-libbed, ending the event.

He confronted her privately afterward during a meeting in his office. People whom the two leaders have spoken to about that conversation do not agree on what was said behind closed doors. Some briefed on the exchange have been told that McCarthy told Cheney not to contradict him again. Others said it was a conversation about the threat Trump posed to the Constitution, without any ultimatum. The two have only spoken since in group settings, according to people close to both of them.

Weeks later, Cheney traveled to Orlando for an event designed to showcase the party’s strategy for taking out Democrats in 2022, but the story soon shifted to internal division. Before the conference even began, she announced to laughter from reporters that she had not invited the former president, even though she did not plan the speaker slates.

The debate over Trump’s potentially negative impact on swing districts is likely to escalate in the coming months, as vulnerable Republicans try to position themselves for reelection.

The internal NRCC poll partially shared with lawmakers in April found that President Biden was perilously popular in core battleground districts, with 54 percent favorability. Vice President Harris was also more popular than Trump, the poll showed. Biden’s $1.9 trillion covid stimulus plan and his $2.3 trillion jobs and infrastructure package both polled higher than the former president’s favorability, which was at 41 percent, compared to 42 percent in February.

A person familiar with the polling presentation said many details from the battleground poll did not make it into the NRCC’s 30-minute address in Orlando.

“We gladly share any and all information with the members of our conference, which is evidenced by the unfortunate fact The Washington Post has an internal poll,” NRCC spokesman Michael McAdams said in a statement about the polling results.

McCarthy has never rescinded his statement after the Capitol riot that Trump had responsibility for not quickly calling off the Jan. 6 protesters, although he later watered that down and said the rest of the nation also bore responsibility. But he has been unwilling to dwell on his past criticism as he courts Trump’s cooperation. In March, McCarthy hired Brian Jack, a former senior adviser to Trump, to run his political office.

McCarthy has also continued to speak with Trump, even as Trump grumbles about McCarthy’s leadership to his advisers. Trump has at times threatened to other advisers that he will attack McCarthy for not doing more to sideline Cheney, according to people familiar with the conversations. In public, however, Trump has been more supportive.

“I’m working with everybody, including Kevin McCarthy,” Trump said in an April 19 appearance on Fox News. “I’m taking back the House.”

In late April, around the time of the Orlando event, McCarthy told Trump that Cheney would likely be removed from her position in leadership, according to an adviser with knowledge of the conversation. The former president told others he wasn’t sure it would happen.

At CPAC, Trump reasserts his control of the GOP

For her part, Cheney has continued to maintain that she will win reelection in Wyoming, where she has been censured by the state Republican Party for supporting Trump’s impeachment earlier this year.

Her path forward, however, is becoming less clear. She passed up a campaign for Senate in 2020, choosing to stay as House Conference chair, a job her father had held between working for four Republican presidents in the White House and Defense Department. The goal many assumed she had, Speaker of the House, now appears out of reach in at least the short term.

She has recently told others that she believes the voters of Wyoming will ultimately reelect her, understanding that assaults on constitutional processes like elections cannot be accepted.

But even her reelection, a much lower ambition, may require a transformation in the Republican Party away from its current dependence on and adoration of Trump.

In early February, the last time Republicans gathered to determine her fate, she was the one to demand a formal vote on whether she stayed in her leadership position. She is expected to make the same demand on Wednesday, forcing her Republican colleagues to once again confront the former president’s role in a violent attack on the U.S. Capitol — at least privately.

“The choice is so clear,” said one Cheney ally. “Is it okay to be in leadership and tell the truth? That is what members are going to have to weigh in on.”

• Hook 'Em 1

A new “conservative” party has to come out of this bullshit. Let the nazis identify as nazis under the GQP so that normal population can know exactly who they are.

The uncomfortable truth is that with the curtain pulled back, we’re realizing that there really isn’t much defensible “conservative” ideology, either. Much of it was and is a proxy for white supremacy. Others are just shitty and counterproductive economic policy (“trickle down” is a lie, etc). There are tiny islands of defensible ideas, but not enough to stitch together into a defensible political movement. We’re in dangerous waters.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The uncomfortable truth is that with the curtain pulled back, we’re realizing that there really isn’t much defensible “conservative” ideology, either. Much of it was and is a proxy for white supremacy. Others are just shitty and counterproductive economic policy (“trickle down” is a lie, etc). There are tiny islands of defensible ideas, but not enough to stitch together into a defensible political movement. We’re in dangerous waters.

Jack Kemp ain't walkin' through that door.

• Like 2