The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

24 minutes ago, F250 said:

Can I slap this guy? I would like to be given a voucher to slap this guy. This would open up a whole kettle of worms beyond what already exists. As it is, when students receive scholarships in excess of tuition, the IRS taxes the overage, treating it as income.  Maybe he is just blowing hot air, but taxing an entire scholarship? The rule of unintended consequences for underprivileged students and athletes would be too punitive.

I hesitated whether to place this here vs the Trump thread, but due to the recent staged sit-in by House Republicans, I believe this is the best location.

At first when @Brisketexanwas banging the gong about just how bad things could get, I was vacillating. I would have moments where I just couldn't believe that America would go there, to the dark places that we had traveled before, that we had learned from our violent history, our mistakes, our wars. But, we are stupid and forgetful and despite the efforts of the last ethical people in Washington, I think the author of this article, along with Brisket is probably correct and things may get very dark indeed. I hope they are wrong, but nevertheless...link to full article at bottom of page.

If Trump Is Impeached or Defeated, Conservatives Will Call It a ‘Coup’

By Jonathan Chait

“At some point it won’t just be marches on Capitol Hill from a few Republican congressmen that the Resistance will have to deal with,” writes Mollie Hemingway. “It is unclear what the proper reaction to an unrelenting campaign to overturn the result of the 2016 election should be exactly, but they should stop expecting people to be as polite as they have been in response.”

Is that a threat? Well, it isn’t not a threat.

So what does Hemingway mean when she wants Republicans to stop being polite and start getting real? She cites as a model the infamous Brooks Brothers riot from 2000. During that episode, Republican staffers disrupted the vote recount in Miami-Dade, a process that they feared would increase the vote count for Al Gore. (It later turned out that Miami-Dade had few uncounted Gore votes.) Hemingway justifies the riot as a necessary response to a one-sided recount. Of course, if she were correct that the county was ignoring countable Republican ballots, there would have been legal remedies available. Instead, Republican staffers used mob tactics.

“If this coup succeeds — whether through impeachment proceedings, or through an election that (if the last three years are any indication) the other side is clearly willing to steal by hook or by crook — the nation will cease to be a constitutional, democratic republic,” she warns. Notice that Hemingway is casually endorsing the widespread Republican assumption that Democrats must steal elections in order to win. Since the perfidy of the president’s enemies is taken for granted, and the evidentiary standards for charges against them nonexistent, any Trump defeat is a coup. Trump himself has been stoking that lie since before the 2016 election. If he is impeached, and even if he simply loses reelection, Trump will call it a coup, and a large number of his followers will treat it as such.

Link: http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/10/trump-impeached-defeated-coup.html

16 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Yes, because that's the real crisis facing America right now.

Well, you see....I can't put a finger on it exactly, but the sports that generate revenue and have more recognizable athletes have a fair amount of students of a race that's "non-white".

I really hate being cynical as fuck, but damn, what other motivation would Richard Burr have over this?

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Well, you see....I can't put a finger on it exactly, but the sports that generate revenue and have more recognizable athletes have a fair amount of students of a race that's "non-white".

I really hate being cynical as fuck, but damn, what other motivation would Richard Burr have over this?

Well, he did vote for the tax cut, it seems strange that he would insist on a tax on college football players.

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I hesitated whether to place this here vs the Trump thread, but due to the recent staged sit-in by House Republicans, I believe this is the best location.

At first when @Brisketexanwas banging the gong about just how bad things could get, I was vacillating. I would have moments where I just couldn't believe that America would go there, to the dark places that we had traveled before, that we had learned from our violent history, our mistakes, our wars. But, we are stupid and forgetful and despite the efforts of the last ethical people in Washington, I think the author of this article, along with Brisket is probably correct and things may get very dark indeed. I hope they are wrong, but nevertheless...link to full article at bottom of page.

By Jonathan Chait

Nah.

https://www.newsweek.com/steve-bannon-targeted-incels-manipulate-cambridge-analytica-whistleblower-christopher-wylie-1468399

At first when [mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention]was banging the gong about just how bad things could get, I was vacillating. I would have moments where I just couldn't believe that America would go there, to the dark places that we had traveled before, that we had learned from our violent history, our mistakes, our wars. But, we are stupid and forgetful and despite the efforts of the last ethical people in Washington, I think the author of this article, along with Brisket is probably correct and things may get very dark indeed. I hope they are wrong, but nevertheless...link to full article at bottom of page.
By Jonathan Chait

“At some point it won’t just be marches on Capitol Hill from a few Republican congressmen that the Resistance will have to deal with,” writes Mollie Hemingway. “It is unclear what the proper reaction to an unrelenting campaign to overturn the result of the 2016 election should be exactly, but they should stop expecting people to be as polite as they have been in response.”
Is that a threat? Well, it isn’t not a threat.

So what does Hemingway mean when she wants Republicans to stop being polite and start getting real? She cites as a model the infamous Brooks Brothers riot from 2000. During that episode, Republican staffers disrupted the vote recount in Miami-Dade, a process that they feared would increase the vote count for Al Gore. (It later turned out that Miami-Dade had few uncounted Gore votes.) Hemingway justifies the riot as a necessary response to a one-sided recount. Of course, if she were correct that the county was ignoring countable Republican ballots, there would have been legal remedies available. Instead, Republican staffers used mob tactics.
“If this coup succeeds — whether through impeachment proceedings, or through an election that (if the last three years are any indication) the other side is clearly willing to steal by hook or by crook — the nation will cease to be a constitutional, democratic republic,” she warns. Notice that Hemingway is casually endorsing the widespread Republican assumption that Democrats must steal elections in order to win. Since the perfidy of the president’s enemies is taken for granted, and the evidentiary standards for charges against them nonexistent, any Trump defeat is a coup. Trump himself has been stoking that lie since before the 2016 election. If he is impeached, and even if he simply loses reelection, Trump will call it a coup, and a large number of his followers will treat it as such.

Expect less marching in the street by Fox News zombies, and more Tim McVeigh and other “vigilante” types. Hell, their guy is IN office and they’re shooting up WalMarts and synagogues. Bastards.

5 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Expect less marching in the street by Fox News zombies, and more Tim McVeigh and other “vigilante” types. Hell, their guy is IN office and they’re shooting up WalMarts and synagogues. Bastards.

That is EXACTLY what I'm worried about. Plus with holiday celebrations, people will be coming and going and instead of being warm and forgiving, their stress levels will be through the roof.

12 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

If the Senator proposes the legislation and people aren't paying attention,  his motivation would be to tax ALL scholarships. Lotta money in that pot, and the tax code allows recipients to deduct the cost of tuition and books. So, you have a student at Texas who receives a $12,000 scholarship for National Merit or Turing or whatever, as of right now s(he) is not taxed on the portion that goes toward the above mentioned items. If your student is ultra high achieving and has greater funds than the cost of tuition, then that money is taxed as income. I believe if the student is not claimed as a dependent, then perhaps they would have a low enough income to be negligible, but I'm not a tax preparer.

Institutions of higher education all across the country. Think of that money coming in from scholarships and now taxed, all of it due to a back door amendment when no one is watching. Notice he didn't say their endorsements would be taxed as income because of course they would be, just as a student who has income on the side while in school. He said scholarships. He mentioned 'athletes who chose to cash in',  but I see the racism and classism as only part of the equation behind a larger money grab. Academic merit aid, athletic scholarship aid, and so on taxed would bring them some $ and punish anyone stupid enough to think that hard work and sacrifice yields a chance to advance in the current system.

The play is that Chuck Grassley has termed out as Finance(?) Chair and he’s got seniority over Lindsay and will be taking his spot.

Lindsay will keep the seat through 2020 and of Republicans keep the Senate, Grassley will become the chair when everyone is sworn in in 2021.

100% of those who still self-identify as Republicans and/or vote for and support Republican candidates and politicians are supporters of and complicit in treason.

every effort should be made by the rest of us who care about the country to eliminate them from all public offices at every level, and the decision making process for the country going forward.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Republicans are simply not Americans 

If I was in NC State Senate, I would keep 15 tazer guns in my desk.  If they repubs ever do end up calling the vote because my colleagues happen to not be present I would tazer 15 of those fuckers on the spot starting that that old piece of shit who spoke at the end.  I seriously doubt you could get a jury of 12 to convict me.

Edited by Horn Dog

16 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Just a coordinated DDoS on political opponents.

Cool cool cool.

Not a DDoS and not as nefarious as it sounds.

They were using a patch-through service to transfer Trump supporters to their congressional representatives. Multiple services like this exist for political activism and it's not an uncommon practice.

That article is either poorly written or intentionally misleading.

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult